• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Talk about anything Sonic here. Global rules are still in place. Minor trash talk is permitted, however don't let it get out of hand or you will receive warnings and/or infractions. Just be good and lets stay active!

So, let's talk about Sonic.

McNinja

Smash Ace
Lol fitting you would create the first Sonic thread.

What do you think of 2.5 sonic? Underrated? More fun? Totally nerfed?

:phone:

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
How do fight Zelda/Peach?

Also what are some good kill set ups that you've found out so far.
Hmm, I remember down throw being the best grab vs both these characters

I haven't really run into any trouble vs Zelda but her neutral B beats your spin dash and so does her jab so watch out for those. other than that I think standard Sonic stuff is good like just spinning a lot. and Spin into them to pop them up in the air then instantly wavedash down, and jump into them with a neutral air.

Also, Peach beats your spin dash with her neutral air and her down smash clanks with your spin dash (down B).

It seems like they weigh almost the same so I bet you can do the same combos on them too.

I don't have too much exp vs these characters but I do vs most of the others in the cast.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Lucas/Peach/Zelda/Shiek are my problem characters atm.

Falco too.

Ugh i need to get better.
Falco, I have a lot of exp vs this character.

Spin a lot, My 2 least favorite stages vs Falco are FoD and Yoshis story from melee. The platforms let him get away from your spinning so he can come from above and combo you. So I recommend banning these stages vs him, and same with Fox and Wario.

When Falco is recovering, your homing attack (neutral B) ***** his recovery, but you have to be quick enough so that his firebird is still charging when you hit it. If the Firebird is moving you will trade with it which might still kill him if hes far enough from the ledge. (also he might try to illusion but if you are close enough, neutral B will auto lock on but it has to hit him before the illusion comes out though. Falco's usually Illusion if they have their DJ, so the moment they DJ I use neutral B because I know an illusion is probably coming.)

While onstage, try to side B into him, Sonic's new side B gets Fast-fallers/heavy characters basically be stuck inside your spin which lets you bring them offstage if you are close enough to the ledge where you will go off it. Or, right before you go offstage with them, press A to stick your foot out to kick them giving some knockback. Once, you send them offstage you usually want to edgeguard them with neutral B since it will lock onto him.

(P.S. whenever you side B, make sure you don't hold side B at all or else you will do that little jump, similiar to Sonic's side B in Brawl.) If you quickly tap Side B (the speed you want to input it at would be the same speed you would use to short hop) you will stay on the ground the whole time you are spinning. You almost never should use the little jump on the side B. Always just have Sonic stay on the ground throughout the spinning animation.

Also, always Up-throw spacies, if they DI so they are directly above you, you should probably up tilt or re-grab them. If they DI in front of you, Side B them before they touch the ground so they can't tech.

Hope this wasn't confusing lol.

Only, character specific stuff I remember about sheik is that her needles clank with your spin dash (at least in 2.1)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
IMO up B OOS isn't really useful unless its a stage like Dreamland that has high platforms you can land on...the freefall after the upB leaves you reeaally vulnerable. (+1 for Rumble Falls?)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I actually think Blast Attack out of shield is better than overB OoS now; BA comes out faster and has a bit cleaner follow up than the new overB.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I actually think Blast Attack out of shield is better than overB OoS now; BA comes out faster and has a bit cleaner follow up than the new overB.
Oh wow, I had never used blast attack until today and it is great. It can let me cancel into another move faster than a normal HA would let me, so I gotta start using this more.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
DownB to BA is pretty awesome too. Its a little hard to do (since you have to jump, reverse B, press A really quick), and you have to call out them shielding the downB, but it leads to really good pressure.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
DownB to BA is pretty awesome too. Its a little hard to do (since you have to jump, reverse B, press A really quick), and you have to call out them shielding the downB, but it leads to really good pressure.
Yea, I have been doing that since 2.1, I thought they got rid of it in 2.5 until now though.

BlueSuperSonic1

Smash Journeyman
Sonic's definitely a blast in 2.5. While he isn't as good as in 2.1, I still find him very enjoyable to play. The new somersault kick out of Side B is very useful, and even cancels at the edge. Overall I find Sonic, along with Squirtle and Zero Suit my favorite of the characters in 2.5 so far.

Rat

Smash Lord
Ah man I wanted to be the first one to post about this.

This is good. It's similar to the old SpinDash HA DownB.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Reverse down b-ing in the air is too good. On stages with multiple or big platforms at the top I really enjoying flying around with it and landing on the top platform(s) after b-reversing spin dashes.
Sonics air mobility is so good.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
IMO up B OOS isn't really useful unless its a stage like Dreamland that has high platforms you can land on...the freefall after the upB leaves you reeaally vulnerable. (+1 for Rumble Falls?)
Realllly?

idk i just feel like it's an option that hasnt be explored enough.

I dont even think you need high platforms either haha.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Realllly?

idk i just feel like it's an option that hasnt be explored enough.

I dont even think you need high platforms either haha.
It just seems like a way of escaping the situation, while side B OoS can do the same and potentially hit your opponent as long as they are not shielding. Or blast attack OoS where you can hit them if their not shielding or even give great pressure on their shield if they are blocking.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
It just seems like a way of escaping the situation, while side B OoS can do the same and potentially hit your opponent as long as they are not shielding. Or blast attack OoS where you can hit them if their not shielding or even give great pressure on their shield if they are blocking.
Down b out of shield but don't let go of it and jump, then use the completely vertical hit from the jump hit to nair.
Maximum cheese.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Well Up B OOS is safer since Side B doesnt have invincibility/intangibility anymore. So if you try to side B OOS, you risk trades as well, and side B trades are never in Sonic's favor.

Idk. I'm desperate for defensive options ahaha. My sonic doesnt take kindly to pressure, but sonic doesnt in general.

Cless

Smash Champion
Up b out of shield doesn't sound too bad since if you do an aerial on the way up you can do mostly everything on the way down.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
The thing about up b out of shield is that being above someone is generally bad. It just is. Get hit by anything on your way down and you'll be off stage without a jump, an up b, or anything.
It just doesn't seem as practical as HA or nair OOS.

Also I figured out you can do some light pillaring with Sonic. Sometimes. On certain characters. At a few percents.

What you do is you down b in the air, reverse it, hit them with the jumping hit box, sweetspot the dair, land again, jump, reverse down b, dair, etc.

When it works it looks cool, but it very rarely does, lol

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Seems awfully complicated for something really conditional and situational. Haha.
...Yup.

So what do y'all think are the best Sonic stages?
I think the big stages works the best, mainly Norfair and Rumble Falls. Dreamland is nice too.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Dreamland. GHZ. BF. SV. FoD.

Off the top of my head.

Mostly because his KO moves are mostly all horizontal based, and these stages horizontal boundaries are on the small side.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I feel like Sonic can't deal with pressure enough to be as good on small stages as he is on big stages.
Just my opinion.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Disagree.

Smaller stages means it's easier to get them off the edge, and your tilts cover more of the stage huehuehue.

But nah. It just means you have to play less of a spin game, and more of a spacing game.

While Sonic is about running around, you cant ignore is tilts are super good. And his WD/DD game accent that more.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Disagree.

Smaller stages means it's easier to get them off the edge, and your tilts cover more of the stage huehuehue.

But nah. It just means you have to play less of a spin game, and more of a spacing game.

While Sonic is about running around, you cant ignore is tilts are super good. And his WD/DD game accent that more.
"Sonic's the name, speed's my game!"
I guess we play Sonic differently, lol.

Also I figured out if you're offstage and about (not quite) at the edge of Yoshi's Island's cam if you hold side-b you'll actually make it to the stage.
Turns out his side b is as good for recovery as Diddy's side b.

Or if you're under the ledge and have to go a little bit more than the length of his air dodge just side b.

Top Bottom