• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sonic General Discussion/Social thread

shores

Smash Rookie
I went to a tournament in Olympia and before the tournament I had people tell me they recognized my tag and red sonic from past streams I've been on. After the tournament I had three people money match me saying "Hey you are that sonic guy right? you beat my friend and I want to money match you." I'm glad to see I'm getting some where. ~Sonic main is best main

shores

Smash Rookie
I went to a tournament in Olympia and before the tournament I had people tell me they recognized my tag and red sonic from past streams I've been on. After the tournament I had three people money match me saying "Hey you are that sonic guy right? you beat my friend and I want to money match you." I'm glad to see I'm getting some where. ~Sonic main is best main

GabPR

Smash Lord
Lets talk about the Lucario Matchup
I like it in favor of Sonic, As long as you dont find yourself shielding against his attacks. Putting player skill aside, Sonic has the maneuverability to dance around lucario to avoid getting hit and baiting his attacks. He can also edgeguard lucario rather easily if he goes for an up b sweetspot, in which I think you could d-smash, frontilt or even f-smash to get him off the stage yet again . If he is coming from above with down b you should care in case he has aura in case he does an aerial out of it, in which you should dodge it and counterattack (if he has aura I think its really probable he will do so to avoid getting punished). What do you think?

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I like it in favor of Sonic, As long as you dont find yourself shielding against his attacks. Putting player skill aside, Sonic has the maneuverability to dance around lucario to avoid getting hit and baiting his attacks. He can also edgeguard lucario rather easily if he goes for an up b sweetspot, in which I think you could d-smash, frontilt or even f-smash to get him off the stage yet again . If he is coming from above with down b you should care in case he has aura in case he does an aerial out of it, in which you should dodge it and counterattack (if he has aura I think its really probable he will do so to avoid getting punished). What do you think?
When you stuck in shield and Lucario's pressuring you use up b dair to escape pressure

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
Spring out of shield is always a nice option to escape opponents who can pressure really hard. MK and Diddy are prefect examples. Just don't make it to predictable or else your opponent can get a free punish if read well. Usually I try to avoid using my shield and abuse spacing and dash dancing more.

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
You can't be too aggressive with Sonic though. He's a Bait and Punish character. Take advantage of his incredible mobility and send your opponent out with a migraine.

shores

Smash Rookie
You can't be too aggressive with Sonic though. He's a Bait and Punish character. Take advantage of his incredible mobility and send your opponent out with a migraine.
Sonic can be an aggressive character, I've seen wait and baits as well as aggressive Sonics do very well, I personally play a very aggressive sonic.

KiNGMONiR

Smash Cadet
Actually there are many situations where Sonic can be super aggro, his gameplay is not at all restricted to bait and punish.

First thing that comes to mind is the Snake matchup. I'm very aggressive against Snake simply to deny opportunities for bomb setups. This doesn't mean you can't be patient and careful as getting caught by his tranquilizer is often a guaranteed sticky bomb. Snake's Up-B is also a very good escape for him and knocks pretty hard.

GabPR

Smash Lord
I need help with the Lucas/Ness Match up can someone help me?
Im speaking more of my personal experience in the matchup, but I hope it provides to be useful. Ness and Lucas it is mostly better to get them off the stage than go for big damage since their recoveries can be pretty predictable, especially for ness. As for Lucas if he attempts to tether the ledge go offstage and side b into it quick. that way he will get hit by side-b's hitbox and put in a got position to combo into a quick nair or up air. another thing to do to edge guard is to grab the ledge and quickly use the invincibility frames to hit them with a nair without getting hit yourself (Applies to a lot of the cast as well). On stage, watch out on not being hit by their side b's beacause they can lead to receiving big damage. The two have quick aerials oos so when applying shield pressure try to care not to be left in a position where you are too close to them, especially lucas. While I have more to say I do not want to write a big wall of text. Anything else in particular that you find difficult about the matchup?

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Im speaking more of my personal experience in the matchup, but I hope it provides to be useful. Ness and Lucas it is mostly better to get them off the stage than go for big damage since their recoveries can be pretty predictable, especially for ness. As for Lucas if he attempts to tether the ledge go offstage and side b into it quick. that way he will get hit by side-b's hitbox and put in a got position to combo into a quick nair or up air. another thing to do to edge guard is to grab the ledge and quickly use the invincibility frames to hit them with a nair without getting hit yourself (Applies to a lot of the cast as well). On stage, watch out on not being hit by their side b's beacause they can lead to receiving big damage. The two have quick aerials oos so when applying shield pressure try to care not to be left in a position where you are too close to them, especially lucas. While I have more to say I do not want to write a big wall of text. Anything else in particular that you find difficult about the matchup?
Well I have trouble with avoiding Ness's PSI Magnet and DJC Combos

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Well I have trouble with avoiding Ness's PSI Magnet and DJC Combos
I like to stay more aerial when fighting Ness as he can carry me across the stage with said PSI Magnet and DJC Combos. Abuse Dairs and Homing Attack more, get him offstage then gimp his PK Thunder with Spring. Nothing is more insulting. :sonic:

TwicH

Smash Apprentice
I never said that Sonic can't be aggressive, but I think he's best at Bait and Punish. That's just my opinion though so don't take it too seriously.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Sonic is best when the player is drunk.

I feel like I'm gonna have a lot more to say about the Diddy matchup after this weekend. If I take my first game, I've got DLA to stare down.

MWEX

Smash Apprentice
I don't usually post here, but when you're dealing with a spacie that comes from brawl, but keeps brawl techs, how do I beat him in the neutral game.
Characters I have a trouble with: Fox and Ike

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I don't usually post here, but when you're dealing with a spacie that comes from brawl, but keeps brawl techs, how do I beat him in the neutral game.
Characters I have a trouble with: Fox and Ike
You bait your opponent to do stupid stuff like a up smash or f smash and punish then when you have momentum you just go crazy lol :D

Neptune Shiranui

Shadow Streak~
NNID
Darky_Shiranui
Spacies can't crouch cancel side-b after 15%, so it's still possible to drag them off-stage. You should start using dashdance in your approaches. As for Ike, you have to pressure him, as he can't deal with it very well. When he's going to use QD to recover just spring him, if he's going for the ledge use f-tilt, above you fair him back off.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Spacies can't crouch cancel side-b after 15%, so it's still possible to drag them off-stage. You should start using dashdance in your approaches. As for Ike, you have to pressure him, as he can't deal with it very well. When he's going to use QD to recover just spring him, if he's going for the ledge use f-tilt, above you fair him back off.
Luckily Spacie players don't know about the side b dragging and escape by crouch cancel shining

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
I figured out a new tech side b jump footstool Dair (you can do down b at end but must read tech) sadly Blast Attack and Fair don't work :(

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Yes you can follow up after the new tech I explained because Homing Attack has a lot of hit stun so you can do a fair after the HA and combo after it

GabPR

Smash Lord
So I was experimenting with up air's different sweet and sour spots today. Did you know that if you hit the opponent with only the first hit of the up air in the tip of the shoes, it has a set knockback on all percentages which sets the opponent to the opposite side of Sonic? Not only that... it May be able to beat crouch cancel in some situations. similar to pits down tilt, Sonic's up air sweetspot in the tip of the shoes may make the opponents go into the air or fall to the ground instead of crouch canceling the hit (not yet confirmed what situations these are though) remember its the sweetspot of the tip of the shows on the first hit, were Sonic spreads his legs, if you hit the up air in the inner hitboxes it will not beat crouch cancel or have its set knockback.

Edit: after a long while of testing the sweetspot on all characters crouch cancels to see if it could beat them, I have found out that it is only possible on certain characters, This is guarebteed on the following: Fox, Falco, Metaknight, Lucas, Pit, pickachu, kirby, Jigglypuff and Game and watch. Also it only drops them to the ground and does not send them upwards. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Top Bottom