• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something2Do Tournaments! - May 11th, 2013 - Louisville Kentucky

wangston

Smash Lord
yeah. I could house some people. Depending on where you are coming it might be 20 mins out of your way but its a fun place to stay. I sadly can't make it to the tourney because I have family johns, living at home is fun but I always have crap to do when tourneys come around, I went to all the tourneys in utah. How many people need housing and when? I can probably only do Friday night though and after 8:30 cause I have work till then, not to sure about saturday though cause I'll be busy all day saturday and I'm not sure how late i'll get back home, and if saturday did work you would have to leave early Sunday morning cause I've got church.

wangston

Smash Lord
actually guys I can't do housing. Families coming down friday night and they are staying over and they will be here all day saturday. So I can't do housing either days. :(

Kel

Smash Master
Did you guys know that Olimar makes more money per usage than Metaknight?

MK: 23,502.86 USD won with 1669 uses
Olimar: 4,902.68 USD won with 277 uses

MK: 23,502.86/ 1669 = 14.082
Oli: 49,02.68/ 277 = 17.699

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Meta Knight also won nearly 5x as much. o_O

But you should find similar results for other good, but not popular, characters like ICs while good but popular characters like Snake would have a smaller ratio.

Kel

Smash Master
Olimar is ranked number 1 on the list. MK is second and I believe Snake and Diddy are 3rd and 4th.

This doesn't really indicate much other than Olimar is the easiest to play at a high level. It's still very interesting. I thought MK would have taken that easily.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
How does the ratio between usage and money won show that a character is easy at high level? If anything wouldn't less people winning more money indicate that a character is harder to use, since if it was that easy everyone would just use him?

Kel

Smash Master
That would only be true if it were someone like Ally in 2008 winning ALL the tournaments he entered while being the only one using Snake. On average, Olimar is more likely to make money than any other character; this means that everyone using him is either super, super good OR that he is just easier to reach a high level on average.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
That's not necessarily true Kel; it can also be implied that that IS the case as there is very few inter-regional travel between the top olimars.

Its basically a case of Toon Link syndrome, just with a better character. The character isn't bad, but he's hard to use well, so his usage is low but those that use him well do well. Thus, his ratio is increased.

It's the opposite with MK. MK is the best, but he's also really easy to use so you'll have a lot of usage that doens't win money simply because not everyone can in a tournament, and that's before you get to people just flat out being better. Thus his money winnings will still be high, but the ratio will be off.

Kel

Smash Master
I don't buy it. That would mean that nearly all people that use Olimar at all are magically amazing at the game. What I believe also makes sense because non-empirical evidence also shows that Olimar has a small learning curve. The character practically plays itself until Nietono/ Japanese Olimar levels.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Well he's a glass cannon, that's how he works. He does a lot of damage or has a lot of damage done to him.

What I'm saying is due to his volatile nature you naturally have people dropping him as a character more often if they don't succeed. Those that use him and do well with him are more likely to stick around, and thus he's going to have an inflated top-heavy player list. Opposite is true for easier to play characters like Snake or Meta Knight.

While it's easy to say "Olimar is easy", it's also easy for him to get killed, so most of the players that use him will just say "eff that" and play someone that doesn't die so quickly.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Banned in doubles in general.

Also, it'd be nice if anyone could bring a power strip with them ._.'!

Speaking of which, power strips are good to go! If you can bring a TV, then please do so! It would be awesome! : D.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Yeesh, I was getting destroyed when Meta Knight was banned. I don't know if I'm gonna bother if he's back.
you should still come anyways. it's about a learning experience and this time we have more setups so we can teach you things :) if you feel that there's no hope even after this one, then that's fine. but just come! i'll be the asian in argyle. ask me for friendlies and i will try to help you.

DtJ Composer

The Heroine Appears
BRoomer
So turns out all my talk is **** and if I don't drive to a tournament then nothing gets planned.

Not coming.

Also OS at least wait til this tournament is over to advertise a future one come on. Etiquette and stuff.

Top Bottom