• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
gav gets dumber by the week

every community experiences peaks and troughs

people stop playing or lose interest, and people start playing and become interested

64 is a better community than aoe but aoe is the better game

i said "i hate this game" at least 500 times tonight

Maliki

Smash Ace
gav gets dumber by the week

every community experiences peaks and troughs

people stop playing or lose interest, and people start playing and become interested

64 is a better community than aoe but aoe is the better game

i said "i hate this game" at least 500 times tonight
I heard you say I can't wait until I quit at least 500 times

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
^minimum

Isn't aoe like a strategy game? Don't think you can really compare the two.
it's an rts. and i think the amount of strategy, depth, and attention required to play it at a high level puts smash to shame.

shrug. personal opinion.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Umbreon's trolling is pretty strong.

Unless he's not actually trolling in which case LOL. No one in their right mind would think the board is unwelcoming on the basis of less-than-courteous replies to a thread called "You guys are terrible people" calling everyone "total *******"s" and "********". If anything, it would be that OP that would scare people off, not the responses to it. That post deserved to be locked for sure. And that's all without taking into account the fact that OP of that thread is a known troll who only got unbanned recently.

I mean, I thought maybe Umbreon was trying to make a legitimate point until he used that thread as an example.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
I hate doing that because I feel it's not the right place to discuss it, but let me try to address some of the issues encountered here.

1) Concerning the Smasher case, let's put things back into perspective. Smasher was perma-roombanned from the 64 section for years and the only reason he got back was because all permabans got removed due to Smashboards changes. This means that he should normally not be allowed here, but he actually is (against our will) and that could, at best for him, be an opportunity for him to show he has changed and that we should revert our judgement. With that in mind, you will understand the thin-ice policy about his case. Now Umbreon says he has a legit problem that needs to be addressed? See it's always the same problem : you need to pay attention to the context. And I'm not even saying that based on an old bias toward his previous behaviour (pre-ban area). If some regular average poster suddenly made that exact same thread as smasher, I would have a little red flag lighting up telling me there's something wrong and that he actually has a legit issue, and trust me I'd act differently. For example, when gav made that thread, while he's usually contributing to the community, it showed something happened and it's a shame I wasn't there to handle things properly (mea culpa, even though I shouldn't have to apologize for needing a one-week break from the site).

But let's go back to smasher's case. What is the standard tone of his posts? And what is the content of them? Let's see some of his recent threads (on the first page). First one: no content. No harm/no contribution, just useless. Second one: flaming like crazy a user with invalid points. Telling a senator that he has no write to post here is completely ignoring Smashboards rules, doing so by insulting is worse, and doing so by creating a thread is even worse. Third one: first sentence calling everyone ignorant; last sentence saying everybody disagreeing doesn't know how to play. That's not the correct way to interact with others. Fourth one: making a thread to call a list of people "trash"? Again, aggressive inappropriate behaviour. Finally that fifth thread, with him insulting everyone once again. If we sum up, 4/5 with him insulting/flaming and 1/5 on-topic and discussing the game. And I'm not even mentioning some of his posts (here's one, here's another one) where he comes off as agressing other members. His style of writing revolves around agression and insults, so the cinetic of his posts points out how his last thread wasn't out of his "normal" tone. With that background, how can he still have credibility in having a hard time and letting his hurt feelings speak beyond his thoughts? So if you don't know the whole story stay out of this. I'm not even answering to the "to others, it might appear differently" thing, since others already dismissed that argument. And saying he made that last thread in a constructive manner? Well yeah I'm not even answering that either...

All in all I think smasher's behaviour hasn't changed since his pre-ban time and the problem with him is that he can't interact and have a discussion in a civil manner.

Now enough talk about him, if someone still isn't happy, post in FORUM SUPPORT.

2) Why did I even talk about smasher? Oh right, because the way I acted towards him shows why newcomers are not welcomed here, right? Well I hope I showed how smasher was a special case and thinking we act the same way towards newcomers than the way we deal with smasher is a weird assumption (how would that even cross one's mind?).

So are we not-welcoming newcomers? Let's see what has been done for them. First we have a brand new index, simplified, explaining all the basics really well. But I guess that's scarying them away. Now to be even more unwelcoming, when one creates a thread, I always try to chase them away (see this post, this post, this post, etc.). No wonder why they don't like this section, since we're always so mean to them. Again, I don't think that's a valid point trying to bash our community.

With that being said, I don't mean there's no issue with the 64 smashboards community. On the contrary there are a lot of room for improvement.

3) Trolling and spam. There's clearly an issue with trolling and spam. I'm not talking about why there's so much trolling/spam (people are bored, there aren't enough interesting topics to discuss, whatever). It's just an observation: there is a lot of trolling and a lot of spam. The pathogenesis is fairly simple: someone makes a spam thread, and then there's a synergistic phenomenon among all the trolls and spammers. This happens by waves with the Koroshiyo often being the trigger. This needs to stop for several reasons. First, all of this floods the main page and hides actual active threads and therefore it is disrupting the others' browsing experience. Secondly, that can in fact scare away newcomers. I know that when I personally go to a forum and only find spam threads, I end up not posting because I feel there will be no legit discussion possible.

Unfortunately this is hard to contain, because of that synergistic activation. Also people tend to get mad when receiving infractions (what do they expect? They break rules and are all pissy because they get infracted for it, dismissing all the occurences where they did not get infracted) and that creates a spiral of anger and flaming (see Karajan's case with Aerodrome, I don't think I need to link posts for that). Finally, in my opinion infractions don't last long enough. It's easy for one person to juggle between 5 points and their expiration. So if 3 persons do that in alternance, the whole section will be easily demolished.

4) Inactivity. That's also what I believe is a major problem with the section. Is it because it's an old game and we've reached the limit of everything? I think everybody agrees that's not the case, so I don't see a legit reason for this inactivity.

By inactivity, I mean gameplay wise. There's no backroom to discuss things, there's no active contructive matchup discussion, etc. The main problem is (and has almost always been in my opinion) that top players don't express their thoughts enough. I'm not naming anyone because my point isn't to make accusations, but when someone has a matchup question for example (like this post), no very good player hops in to answer them. I try to wait a bit hoping someone will, but then I end up answering them myself, because that's better than nothing, although I don't think I'm really appropriate for that. Same goes with tier list questions (like this one): I desperately wait hoping a top player will give his opinion, but end up answering myself without confidence. (And this thread is the intersection of all of the 4 points I made lol.)

The best poster in that regard is probably mixa with all his well done gifs to illustrate his points. I think his Fox double jump perfect landing on dreamland has been the most noticeable improvement in my Fox game for years.

I'm not saying everything is bad either though, technical-wise we've reached the highest point ever thanks to Madao and Framedisplay and I had never hoped that my compilation thread would be that complete.

Oh well I don't even know why I wrote such a long post.

M!nt

Smash Champion
omg smashboards is so unforgiving with the codes. Like I accidentally didn't put a / in the [COLOR ] code thing for one single line and it just went crazy and added a color tag onto every line and i didn't save it before I did that so it took forever to fix :mad::mad:

M!nt

Smash Champion
I do I save them to notepad on my computer, but I just didn't save it from the last time I added stuff and I thought I was just going to add a tiny little thing to it which just messed up everything. I'm stupid :facepalm:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
the best RTS games at top level are really fun to watch, but you need to know a lot about the games before you can get in on the action

it's for that reason that smash is a better spectator sport, no matter what korea has to say

very biased, but i also think aom > aoe/2 in most aspects, even if there is a clear top tier with defined strategies per matchup

D

Deleted member

Umbreon's trolling is pretty strong.

Unless he's not actually trolling in which case LOL. No one in their right mind would think the board is unwelcoming on the basis of less-than-courteous replies to a thread called "You guys are terrible people" calling everyone "total *******"s" and "********". If anything, it would be that OP that would scare people off, not the responses to it. That post deserved to be locked for sure. And that's all without taking into account the fact that OP of that thread is a known troll who only got unbanned recently.

I mean, I thought maybe Umbreon was trying to make a legitimate point until he used that thread as an example.
See, now why couldn't you just post the middle paragraph to debate me? Why do I have to be trolling? It's almost like you guys don't even know you're being antagonistic because it's just the normal mode of operation.

Whatever, I've made the point enough, you guys can make whatever you want with it.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
very biased, but i also think aom > aoe/2 in most aspects, even if there is a clear top tier with defined strategies per matchup
I liked playing AoM back in the day, and it's the first time I see someone preferring that to AoE.
Who's the top tier, Norse?

asianaussie

Smash Hero
oranos and isis are clearly top tier, from what i recall

isis because lolprosperity, godlike (lel) minor gods including eclipse/ancestors bull**** and good mythic choices, tc +3 pop making elephants a very real threat (and other migdol stuff of course), plus the cheap tech

oranos because +10% speed turma, free skirmish wins with shockwave and just general atlan bull**** like birds, hesperides giving free tanks and ramp to titan gate

i think they fan patched something to balance it out, but im not in the scene anymore so yeah

Last edited:

Sangohan

Banned via Warnings
I hate doing that because I feel it's not the right place to discuss it, but let me try to address some of the issues encountered here.

1) Concerning the Smasher case, let's put things back into perspective. Smasher was perma-roombanned from the 64 section for years and the only reason he got back was because all permabans got removed due to Smashboards changes. This means that he should normally not be allowed here, but he actually is (against our will) and that could, at best for him, be an opportunity for him to show he has changed and that we should revert our judgement. With that in mind, you will understand the thin-ice policy about his case. Now Umbreon says he has a legit problem that needs to be addressed? See it's always the same problem : you need to pay attention to the context. And I'm not even saying that based on an old bias toward his previous behaviour (pre-ban area). If some regular average poster suddenly made that exact same thread as smasher, I would have a little red flag lighting up telling me there's something wrong and that he actually has a legit issue, and trust me I'd act differently. For example, when gav made that thread, while he's usually contributing to the community, it showed something happened and it's a shame I wasn't there to handle things properly (mea culpa, even though I shouldn't have to apologize for needing a one-week break from the site).

But let's go back to smasher's case. What is the standard tone of his posts? And what is the content of them? Let's see some of his recent threads (on the first page). First one: no content. No harm/no contribution, just useless. Second one: flaming like crazy a user with invalid points. Telling a senator that he has no write to post here is completely ignoring Smashboards rules, doing so by insulting is worse, and doing so by creating a thread is even worse. Third one: first sentence calling everyone ignorant; last sentence saying everybody disagreeing doesn't know how to play. That's not the correct way to interact with others. Fourth one: making a thread to call a list of people "trash"? Again, aggressive inappropriate behaviour. Finally that fifth thread, with him insulting everyone once again. If we sum up, 4/5 with him insulting/flaming and 1/5 on-topic and discussing the game. And I'm not even mentioning some of his posts (here's one, here's another one) where he comes off as agressing other members. His style of writing revolves around agression and insults, so the cinetic of his posts points out how his last thread wasn't out of his "normal" tone. With that background, how can he still have credibility in having a hard time and letting his hurt feelings speak beyond his thoughts? So if you don't know the whole story stay out of this. I'm not even answering to the "to others, it might appear differently" thing, since others already dismissed that argument. And saying he made that last thread in a constructive manner? Well yeah I'm not even answering that either...

All in all I think smasher's behaviour hasn't changed since his pre-ban time and the problem with him is that he can't interact and have a discussion in a civil manner.

Now enough talk about him, if someone still isn't happy, post in FORUM SUPPORT.

2) Why did I even talk about smasher? Oh right, because the way I acted towards him shows why newcomers are not welcomed here, right? Well I hope I showed how smasher was a special case and thinking we act the same way towards newcomers than the way we deal with smasher is a weird assumption (how would that even cross one's mind?).

So are we not-welcoming newcomers? Let's see what has been done for them. First we have a brand new index, simplified, explaining all the basics really well. But I guess that's scarying them away. Now to be even more unwelcoming, when one creates a thread, I always try to chase them away (see this post, this post, this post, etc.). No wonder why they don't like this section, since we're always so mean to them. Again, I don't think that's a valid point trying to bash our community.

With that being said, I don't mean there's no issue with the 64 smashboards community. On the contrary there are a lot of room for improvement.

3) Trolling and spam. There's clearly an issue with trolling and spam. I'm not talking about why there's so much trolling/spam (people are bored, there aren't enough interesting topics to discuss, whatever). It's just an observation: there is a lot of trolling and a lot of spam. The pathogenesis is fairly simple: someone makes a spam thread, and then there's a synergistic phenomenon among all the trolls and spammers. This happens by waves with the Koroshiyo often being the trigger. This needs to stop for several reasons. First, all of this floods the main page and hides actual active threads and therefore it is disrupting the others' browsing experience. Secondly, that can in fact scare away newcomers. I know that when I personally go to a forum and only find spam threads, I end up not posting because I feel there will be no legit discussion possible.

Unfortunately this is hard to contain, because of that synergistic activation. Also people tend to get mad when receiving infractions (what do they expect? They break rules and are all pissy because they get infracted for it, dismissing all the occurences where they did not get infracted) and that creates a spiral of anger and flaming (see Karajan's case with Aerodrome, I don't think I need to link posts for that). Finally, in my opinion infractions don't last long enough. It's easy for one person to juggle between 5 points and their expiration. So if 3 persons do that in alternance, the whole section will be easily demolished.

4) Inactivity. That's also what I believe is a major problem with the section. Is it because it's an old game and we've reached the limit of everything? I think everybody agrees that's not the case, so I don't see a legit reason for this inactivity.

By inactivity, I mean gameplay wise. There's no backroom to discuss things, there's no active contructive matchup discussion, etc. The main problem is (and has almost always been in my opinion) that top players don't express their thoughts enough. I'm not naming anyone because my point isn't to make accusations, but when someone has a matchup question for example (like this post), no very good player hops in to answer them. I try to wait a bit hoping someone will, but then I end up answering them myself, because that's better than nothing, although I don't think I'm really appropriate for that. Same goes with tier list questions (like this one): I desperately wait hoping a top player will give his opinion, but end up answering myself without confidence. (And this thread is the intersection of all of the 4 points I made lol.)

The best poster in that regard is probably mixa with all his well done gifs to illustrate his points. I think his Fox double jump perfect landing on dreamland has been the most noticeable improvement in my Fox game for years.

I'm not saying everything is bad either though, technical-wise we've reached the highest point ever thanks to Madao and Framedisplay and I had never hoped that my compilation thread would be that complete.

Oh well I don't even know why I wrote such a long post.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
sup noobs, cobr the great here, just reporting in that i went to a bar in nyc with a buddy and played in a smash tourney that started at midnight and was played on a wall mounted LCD and then a gigantic projector screen where people kept walking in front of it and it was random stage single elimination ffa winner advances and you choose where you want to be placed in bracket so my buddy and i got 1st and 2nd and these two other guys got 3rd and 4th and the owner threatened to kick my buddy's ass cuz he told him to watch the wire and there was no pot or anything (despite 32 people signing up), just prizes and giveaways. it ran til almost 3am after starting at 12. here's me (unamused as ****) with my championship prize that you guys don't have and never will have

the general skill level of everyone there was exactly what you would expect - all different characters with the worst strategies, no technical skill at all (like, couldn't even tech or techroll), really bad with items and combos, and would probably go 0-2 in most tourneys

the good news is i talked to the guys who got 3rd and 4th and told them about smashboards and i'm probably gonna make a post on the fb page and see if anyone is interested in joining. let me just say, a retro gaming/cosplay night at a bar in ny yields two attractive girls per square mile and lots of johns and salt from players

there were two other guys there who showed promise and used samus and kirby, and another two who used yoshi and dk, but it's so painfully obvious they've been playing for a long time with no improvement and it makes me sad

anyway we had to take a cab back from the city and it was a hundo we split, which means, kids, if you ever get stuck in the city, just take a nap in penn station with the winos and drag queens if you don't want to shell out some cash to get driven back to your state (though the flat rate was pretty cool)

cobr out, slaves
ca$hbah

Last edited:

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Happy Sunday! Speaking of aussies, has anyone here played Christian Whitehead's sega licensed ports sonic 2 for iOS / Android?

Soinc 2 is probably my second favorite game after smashbros

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Happy Sunday! Speaking of aussies, has anyone here played Christian Whitehead's sega licensed ports sonic 2 for iOS / Android?

Soinc 2 is probably my second favorite game after smashbros
havent cus no android etc, id like to so i can get some ez points in TSC. wish they'd have it on steam like they did with sonic CD.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Well this is a reply to something slightly old. I would condense it but welp, smashboards is being odd.

1. People are interested in smash 64
2. People come here and lurk and/or post and decide that people are unwelcoming
As someone who has been in the 64 boards for a very long time as well as an online player,
Up until smasherx74 came by, I wouldn't exactly say that this happened that often outside of online where 1/3rd the people if not more are trolls.

The only people we have actually trolled have been those who:
1. Compared 64 unfavorably to either brawl or melee (as we are more separated to those communities that melee is to brawl and well why come to a board about a game and basically insult it.)
You can find posts about this along with an old thread as well as posts that copy Twitch posts from Isai's stream regarding 64.

2. Said that they are the best at a certain character (which will insight trolling regardless of board.)

3. Aerodome, in a very specific case, for trying to mod a sub-board where a good percent of the posts are either in-jokes or anime or something else that he would not understand as he simply has not been part of the board for that long. It might have been a better idea for him to introduce himself to the board, before starting to mod like he did.

He could post something like: Hey, I am mostly new to the 64 section on the boards but your section does not have a mod. Pardon me if I get anything too wrong if I don't understand, etc.

The majority of other threads that you have seen (and no, I don't think you are talking about that many other people because I rarely see guests here) have been in-jokes.

We are actually very nice as long as people are respectful. It's not like we insult anyone for joining us.

B Link

Smash Lord
Jousuke continuing to post Samus tips would be awesome. Could you maybe ask some other Japanese players to consider posting here too (that way all the good tips and discussion don't just stay on MIXI)?

Maybe we could make a [J] version discussion thread. Then perhaps they'd feel more comfortable posting here? Lol

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
good to see I didn't miss anything during the basketball this weekend...

it's an rts. and i think the amount of strategy, depth, and attention required to play it at a high level puts smash to shame.

shrug. personal opinion.
disagree, rts's are generally about actions per minute, and not so much about strategy. Far less player to player interaction than a fighting game. More long term strategy for sure, but certainly not more than chess. I'd say high level players in both are devoting 100% of their attention whenever they play lol.

M!nt

Smash Champion
omg this color looks amazing thank you so much soup

I just instantly became 10x better at smash

The Star King

Smash Hero
Are pranks temporary

I remember on old Smashboards they were supposed to be temporary (like a month), but weren't really, they never actually disappeared properly lol, I had it for years

Last edited:

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Are pranks temporary

I remember on old Smashboards they were supposed to be temporary (like a month), but weren't really, they never actually disappeared properly lol, I had it for years
they last 30 days but you can choose to re-prank after

im assuming @Jouske likes JJBA and his name is a reference to that because his avatar looks like a samus stand

or maybe im just seeing things

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
So my uncle now works for Mission and just left us like 20 pounds of tortillas without asking if we wanted them lol. He used to work for little debbie and did this with little debbie snacks :c

Anyone know something I can make with them besides tacos. I'm going to try to make shrimp tacos later, see if i can make them as good as the mexican restaurant I go to.

Last edited:

rpotts

Smash Lord
Breakfast : Huevos Rancheros

Lunch : Burritos, soft tacos, quesadillas

Dinner : Enchiladas (if you have corn tortillas), flautas, any lunch stuff

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
they last 30 days but you can choose to re-prank after

im assuming @Jouske likes JJBA and his name is a reference to that because his avatar looks like a samus stand

or maybe im just seeing things
he is named after a character in an anime, i wont reveal which. but it is not jo jo's

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
disagree, rts's are generally about actions per minute, and not so much about strategy. Far less player to player interaction than a fighting game. More long term strategy for sure, but certainly not more than chess. I'd say high level players in both are devoting 100% of their attention whenever they play lol.
brute speed was always easily overpowered and more often a sign of weakness than intelligence

i figure that when you have to micromanage an economy, raise and control an army by individuals or small groups, constantly help your partners, expand frontward and destroy backward, and survey the land, you're using more strategy than in smash.

like sure, you could reach your pop limit in 5 minutes, and i could have 50 fewer units than you, but if you don't set them up in a way that will clearly dominate me (ie, no flank, no hill advantage, no terrain to hide behind, no baiting out stragglers), you'll lose the game pretty convincingly.

i suppose you could argue that these things fall under apm, but i would say that they could all be done at a rather slower pace and with more thought behind them, thus highlighting the importance of the strategy side and lessening the actual speed/quantity at which you perform them

i wish i knew more about chess. i know the classic statement is to look ten moves ahead but i can't even fathom how you're supposed to account for that many possibilities

macromanagement is essentially z-cancelling, AoM autoqueue ftw
aoe didn't have autoqueue. i ****ing hated autoqueue. autoqueue is like brawl having no z canceling.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
i know the classic statement is to look ten moves ahead but i can't even fathom how you're supposed to account for that many possibilities
you might find this interesting
"[...] The common wisdom at the time was that highly skilled chess players thought further ahead in the game than did less skilled players."

Last edited:
Top Bottom