• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

M!nt

Smash Champion
If you ask me i'll tell you who I am, I just like using different names, idk it's just fun to me and guessing alts is pretty fun too, like stylisland has guessed me right on the first try like 5 times in a row lol. I've been using alts basically ever since I started and i don't do it to troll or for my (lol)reputation. Why does it matter if you know who you're playing as long as you are getting good games?

Vale

Smash Ace
Every time I feel like playing I end up playing someone who I'm 99% sure is an alt. What's the point? I like to know who I'm playing and I will kick anyone after 1 game if they're an alt. It's pretty obvious that people use alts to either troll or because they are afraid of losing and ruining their reputation.
I play with random names on the server, but it happens mostly because I'm bored and feel like switching to something else. Why would I be "vale" when I could join as "xXScrubDestroyer420#YOLOXx" (note: not an actual name I use)

Last edited:

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
If you ask me i'll tell you who I am, I just like using different names, idk it's just fun to me and guessing alts is pretty fun too, like stylisland has guessed me right on the first try like 5 times in a row lol. I've been using alts basically ever since I started and i don't do it to troll or for my (lol)reputation. Why does it matter if you know who you're playing as long as you are getting good games?
Because I play differently against different players. If I'm playing someone I know, I will try to win. If I'm playing a random person I will mess around.

In my experience alot of people won't tell you who they are and they try to troll me.

Last edited:

MrMarbles

Smash Lord
I play with random names on the server, but it happens mostly because I'm bored and feel like switching to something else. Why would I be "vale" when I could join as "xXScrubDestroyer420#YOLOXx" (note: not an actual name I use)
why wouldn't you use that name? its perf

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Our community isn't going to ****, our community is amazing. It's just that the 64 section is a bit messy lately, that's all.

Here are my suggestions:

1) We need a ****ing tier list. I know we technically have one, but that tier list was made when Hyrule was played just as much as dreamland. Things have changed drastically. I could complain all day about how ****ed up the current list is, but I won't get into that now. We need a back room to get a tier list going or something, because everyone who tries to organize one on his own fails.

2) Like Nova said, we need a player tier list as well. One that won't be locked, but instead protected by Bangoku. The ELO rating is sick and all, but there's a certain beauty in having players submit their own tier list opinions. It's completely subjective and it causes drama, but that's a good thing. A player tier list thread will motivate people to get better.

3) More spam threads need to be deleted. I know this sounds weird coming from me, and there are definitely exceptions, but there's no need to keep bull**** threads around. When someone posts a thread like "90% of smash community is losers," that's fine. Keep that ****. But when five spam threads are made mocking a spam thread, delete those threads or move them to the social. Spam threads are fine, but when they cause a huge explosion of spam, the explosion needs to be dealt with.

4) On that same note, there's no need to even lock threads like "90% of smash community is losers" in the first place! That thread was completely legitimate. I've seen so many threads get locked because they turn into useless arguments and flame wars. **** that ****. Infract the people who are taking the topic of course, don't lock the whole god damn thread. I've seen Smasher make some very interesting threads, i didn't necessarily agree with them all, but they were interesting none the less. Mods, chill out with the locking. This isn't ****ing Soviet Russia, there's no need to lock every other god damn thread.

5) I don't play online so I don't know too much about this ****, but people need to stop ****ing alting. Don't get me wrong, i think alting is hilarious, but if it's obvious that everyone hates it, then why are you still doing it? Wtf mate. More people would play online if they had a better time. And from what i hear, the kaillera kids are assholes? Yo. Don't be mean, that ****'s not cool. We're trying to get our community to grow here, guys.

6) This is by far the most important. It may sound like a direct call out to the community, and i guess it is, but the reason our game seems like the meta isn't evolving is that our community isn't good enough. Yeah, that's right. We all ****ing suck. Our community doesn't train hard enough and we aren't as determined as we need to be. We're way too casual.

Why the **** am i the only player that is desperately trying to surpass Isai? Does it not bother anyone else that the same ****ing guy has been the best in the world since the game came out? Listen, I'm not trying to say that everyone should stop playing for fun and became crazed about winning. But every player should try to be the best they can be 100% of the time. I see so many people go to tournaments and lose to the same person every time. They brush it off as, "meh, he's simply better than me." Like, wtf is that ****? No. Do something about it. Get angry. Get really angry. Let that anger fuel you. Stop letting the same guy continuously beat you over and over, be productive and surpass that mother ******! We all should constantly be trying to improve. We all should constantly be trying to be better than the player we were yesterday.

You all can chose to ignore this and continue to be the casual players that you are, or you can be proactive and make a difference. Without pain, we have nothing. Without sacrifice, there will be no change. No one's going to fix things for us, guys. It has to be us.

I refuse to accept that Isai is the greatest of all time and i refuse to accept that our game is done evolving. Mark my words, one day i will be the best, and i will change this game forever.

Someone needs to do it... I'm just a little pissed off that i'm the only one who's trying.

Last edited:

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I'll start a new online player tier list thread if people are interested, since Peek was the OP of the last one and he has quit smash. Someone that plays on console should make a console tier list also.

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
5) I don't play online so I don't know too much about this ****, but people need to stop ****ing alting. Don't get me wrong, i think alting is hilarious, but if it's obvious that everyone hates it, then why are you still doing it? Wtf mate. More people would play online if they had a better time. And from what i hear, the kaillera kids are *******s? Yo. Don't be mean, that ****'s not cool. We're trying to get our community to grow here, guys.
I don't think the act of using an alternate name on kaillera is a problem, but rather that people use the ability to change names as a way to engage in poor behaviour without people knowing who they are. Are there not mods that can just ip ban people who act dumb?

6) This is by far the most important. It may sound like a direct call out to the community, and i guess it is, but the reason our game seems like the meta isn't evolving is that our community isn't good enough. Yeah, that's right. We all ****ing suck. Our community doesn't train hard enough and we aren't as determined as we need to be. We're way too casual.
Agreed.

I refuse to accept that Isai is the greatest of all time and i refuse to accept that our game is done evolving. Mark my words, one day i will be the best, and i will change this game forever.
I agree with the statement "One day I will be the best, and I will change this game forever." However, you appear to be referring to yourself, so I'll let you know now that you're wrong.

M!nt

Smash Champion
3) More spam threads need to be deleted. I know this sounds weird coming from me, and there are definitely exceptions, but there's no need to keep bull**** threads around. When someone posts a thread like "90% of smash community is losers," that's fine. Keep that ****. But when five spam threads are made mocking a spam thread, delete those threads or move them to the social. Spam threads are fine, but when they cause a huge explosion of spam, the explosion needs to be dealt with.
Yeah I'm sure new players seeing "90% of smash community is losers" in the thread list will hook them right in! Also this is super hypocritical of you considering you and all your friends make up the most of the spam.

4) On that same note, there's no need to even lock threads like "90% of smash community is losers" in the first place! That thread was completely legitimate. I've seen so many threads get locked because they turn into useless arguments and flame wars. **** that ****. Infract the people who are taking the topic of course, don't lock the whole god damn thread. I've seen Smasher make some very interesting threads, i didn't necessarily agree with them all, but they were interesting none the less. Mods, chill out with the locking. This isn't ****ing Soviet Russia, there's no need to lock every other god damn thread.
So instead of locking a pointless thread of either complaining or name calling we should just instead infract all of the people in it :ohwell:

5) I don't play online so I don't know too much about this ****, but people need to stop ****ing alting. Don't get me wrong, i think alting is hilarious, but if it's obvious that everyone hates it, then why are you still doing it? Wtf mate. More people would play online if they had a better time. And from what i hear, the kaillera kids are *******s? Yo. Don't be mean, that ****'s not cool. We're trying to get our community to grow here, guys.
I don't think THAT many people hate it.

Why the **** am i the only player that is desperately trying to surpass Isai? Does it not bother anyone else that the same ****ing guy has been the best in the world since the game came out? Listen, I'm not trying to say that everyone should stop playing for fun and became crazed about winning. But every player should try to be the best they can be 100% of the time. I see so many people go to tournaments and lose to the same person every time. They brush it off as, "meh, he's simply better than me." Like, wtf is that ****? No. Do something about it. Get angry. Get really angry. Let that anger fuel you. Stop letting some guy continuously beat you over and over, be productive and surpass that mother ****er! We all should constantly be trying to improve. We all should constantly be trying to be better than the player we were yesterday.
I agree with some of that, but lot's of people are trying to get better and have made tons of progress, it's just they aren't as vocal about it as you. Isai isn't even that competitive it seems like, and he got to where he is today, so i don't think playing everyday and putting in as much effort as you can will get you further than just playing when you feel like playing and improving over time.

Someone needs to do it... I'm just a little pissed off that i'm the only one who's trying.
You haven't did anything, but post animal pictures and give us a take from your diary, so don't even say something like that.
EDIT: Forget I said that lol I thought you were talking about helping the community, not being better than isai i'm sorry :c

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
You haven't did anything, but post animal pictures and give us a take from your diary, so don't even say something like that.
I don't think post quality on Smashboards correlates to an individual's drive to improve.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I was going to delete my account and stuff cause Aerodrome is trash, but Jousuke just made an account and followed me so...
Nice. He has a front row seat on "**** Aerodrome" posts.

Why "Jouske," though? Shouldn't it be Jousuke? The former is how you would pronounce it anyway, so IDK W/E.

Last edited:

Battlecow

Play to Win
Why the **** am i the only player that is desperately trying to surpass Isai? Does it not bother anyone else that the same ****ing guy has been the best in the world since the game came out? Listen, I'm not trying to say that everyone should stop playing for fun and became crazed about winning. But every player should try to be the best they can be 100% of the time. I see so many people go to tournaments and lose to the same person every time. They brush it off as, "meh, he's simply better than me." Like, wtf is that ****? No. Do something about it. Get angry. Get really angry. Let that anger fuel you. Stop letting the same guy continuously beat you over and over, be productive and surpass that mother ****er! We all should constantly be trying to improve. We all should constantly be trying to be better than the player we were yesterday.

You all can chose to ignore this and continue to be the casual players that you are, or you can be proactive and make a difference. Without pain, we have nothing. Without sacrifice, there will be no change. No one's going to fix things for us, guys. It has to be us.

I mean, the typical competitive route to success is to have a goal of one day being the best or whatever in your own head, and then to work on smaller, more attainable goals on a practical, day-to-day basis

It seems... faintly ridiculous to, like, challenge isai long before skills have developed to the point where that's a reasonable thing to do. The traditional "good sport" competitor would keep his goals to himself, work hard, let the results do the talking, stuff like that. Not saying that's a "better" way of doing things, just that it's a more standard way that I would expect the majority of future challengers to take.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I don't think post quality on Smashboards correlates to an individual's drive to improve.
Yeah, I misunderstood that that was still talking about being better than isai. i dum sorry kero :c

Last edited:

TANK64

Smash Lord
No Kero, like battlecow said, you can't talk about taking nationals if you've never won state. Worry about being undefeated in New England before you trash talk about being the "only one" doing anything.

Oh and the KeroshiWhateverTheF*ck is the reason why smashboards is wack as **** now. You literally do most things you mentioned. Go ban yourself.

Besides online players showing up to console tourneys, nothing exciting has been going on in the past year.

and @ soup, I think it was, meta not advancing? I think the last 5 years (especially the last 2) have been huge advancements. People are so good now, like a lot of people. I remember when being "A tier" meant you were so good. Now if you're not as good as that you're gonna get ****ed up by everyone. The competition is way more neck to neck than it has ever been. It was the first 10 years that were a stand-still, and not "competitive," outside a handful of players and Japan.

Imagine a crew battle with ourselves from 2 years ago, it would be a slaughter. If you haven't improved in 2 years (directed at everyone) then hey, that's on you. I know personally, I try to tell people about new tricks and stuff, not because I'm any sort of authority, or because I want to brag about my training mode nerd wisdom, but because there are tools people still don't use and it pisses me off. The community still has far to go.

Just a thought:
The only thing worse than keyboard DI is no DI.
And then johning that there was nothing you could have done.

After Apex 2013 (When Kero got good, coincidence?) there was a slump that we never recovered from.

Battlecow, Pete, and Ballin have also stopped posting regularly, the people who made this place fun.
If SK and aa leave, I'll have to kill myself.

Last edited:

Battlecow

Play to Win
M2K posts on the chicago fb thread asking for "money matches" (read: donations) and won't take mine unless I do him one in melee as well

TOP 10 MY ASS

B Link

Smash Lord
One big factor limiting people's improvement: No worthwhile incentives.

If SSB64 had something like the MLG series that Melee did, that would greatly increase the odds that someone overtakes isai (in terms of "tourney wins" -- not saying that they'd truly be better than Isai, for obvious reasons...e.g. restrictive tourney rules + sometimes annoying environment + isai sandbagging w/ low tiers etc.).

Let's say Apex SSB64 in 2015 & 2016 each had a $1,000,000 prize. Of course, maybe Isai would still win 2015 (lol). But as the years go by, I find it likely that he'd get surpassed. At the very least he'd have his work cut out for him.

SSB64 has currently been on that route (every Apex has gotten bigger and bigger...idk about Japan tournies, Peru tournies, etc). Consequently, I think it's fair to say that as a whole, the community is better than it was in, say, 2006. Back then, a "big" tourney yielded a mere $100 prize and had 32 players. Now the prize is nearing ~$1000, with >100 players in attendance.

But this progression is almost laughable when compared to other competitive events; we're moving at a snail's pace. So there's almost no chance that anyone will surpass Isai in the near future.

Of course, the incentive doesn't have to be money. Money just acts as the easiest and quickest way to increase player attendance. It could easily be replaced by prestige, a meaningful title, etc. For example, there are a lot of people driven to win a Gold Medal, even though it doesn't yield as much money as other endeavors. But the title "Gold Medalist" is so attractive, because of the embedded history of the Olympics, that money usually plays a subsidiary role. I find it extremely unlikely that we can ever make the title "#1 SSB Player in the World" match "Gold Medalist" in terms of prestige. The easiest way is just to increase the monetary prize.

Sedda

Smash Champion
Our community isn't going to ****, our community is amazing. It's just that the 64 section is a bit messy lately, that's all.

Here are my suggestions:

1) We need a ****ing tier list. I know we technically have one, but that tier list was made when Hyrule was played just as much as dreamland. Things have changed drastically. I could complain all day about how ****ed up the current list is, but I won't get into that now. We need a back room to get a tier list going or something, because everyone who tries to organize one on his own fails.

2) Like Nova said, we need a player tier list as well. One that won't be locked, but instead protected by Bangoku. The ELO rating is sick and all, but there's a certain beauty in having players submit their own tier list opinions. It's completely subjective and it causes drama, but that's a good thing. A player tier list thread will motivate people to get better.

Why the **** am i the only player that is desperately trying to surpass Isai? Does it not bother anyone else that the same ****ing guy has been the best in the world since the game came out? Listen, I'm not trying to say that everyone should stop playing for fun and became crazed about winning. But every player should try to be the best they can be 100% of the time. I see so many people go to tournaments and lose to the same person every time. They brush it off as, "meh, he's simply better than me." Like, wtf is that ****? No. Do something about it. Get angry. Get really angry. Let that anger fuel you. Stop letting the same guy continuously beat you over and over, be productive and surpass that mother ****er! We all should constantly be trying to improve. We all should constantly be trying to be better than the player we were yesterday.

Kero is gonna train me when I come back

edit - umbreon, you can't just come in here and take it as a confirmation that the community sucks because you found one thread saying that it does by someone who trolls people all the time. Maybe they mean Kaillera. All I know is that every time I play someone on Kailera who's not on smashboards, they go off on me and call me a ****** for grabbing or even techchasing (yes..)

I'm sorry that you feel we're terrible, but i can't say much better things about the Melee boards. Don't single us out as if only this section was bad. I started out playing Melee and Project M and eventually moved here because people here are MUCH nicer and MUCH more willing help you improve.

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
I'm loving all these new Mexican clans made up of Kirby players. If I had a dollar for every ragequit, I'd have a lot of dollars I'll tell you hwhat.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I don't understand.
1. People are interested in smash 64
2. People come here and lurk and/or post and decide that people are unwelcoming
3. People lose interest and do not become part of this section
4. You say they are not part of this section
5. Of course they aren't. That's the point.

This is just something I've observed and that I've talked to other people about. This is not a new thing.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
One big factor limiting people's improvement: No worthwhile incentives.

If SSB64 had something like the MLG series that Melee did, that would greatly increase the odds that someone overtakes isai (in terms of "tourney wins" -- not saying that they'd truly be better than Isai, for obvious reasons...e.g. restrictive tourney rules + sometimes annoying environment + isai sandbagging w/ low tiers etc.).

Let's say Apex SSB64 in 2015 & 2016 each had a $1,000,000 prize. Of course, maybe Isai would still win 2015 (lol). But as the years go by, I find it likely that he'd get surpassed. At the very least he'd have his work cut out for him.

SSB64 has currently been on that route (every Apex has gotten bigger and bigger...idk about Japan tournies, Peru tournies, etc). Consequently, I think it's fair to say that as a whole, the community is better than it was in, say, 2006. Back then, a "big" tourney yielded a mere $100 prize and had 32 players. Now the prize is nearing ~$1000, with >100 players in attendance.

But this progression is almost laughable when compared to other competitive events; we're moving at a snail's pace. So there's almost no chance that anyone will surpass Isai in the near future.

Of course, the incentive doesn't have to be money. Money just acts as the easiest and quickest way to increase player attendance. It could easily be replaced by prestige, a meaningful title, etc. For example, there are a lot of people driven to win a Gold Medal, even though it doesn't yield as much money as other endeavors. But the title "Gold Medalist" is so attractive, because of the embedded history of the Olympics, that money usually plays a subsidiary role. I find it extremely unlikely that we can ever make the title "#1 SSB Player in the World" match "Gold Medalist" in terms of prestige. The easiest way is just to increase the monetary prize.
Our scene is very different to melee or brawl so can't make much comparison. The melee scene has had a very active scene since 06< while it looks like things just started picking up again here at around 2011? And it's not like most people play for the money. Outside of players like M2K who make a living out of it, most do it for the title (although obviously if a game had a $1mill prize everyone would try for #1 spot, even people from the other series lol). A monetary incentive isn't as big of a factor as the fact that many players in the scene are still new compared to Isai, don't have the time to practice much (all these college kids), or just don't care that much about being the best.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo real talk though these boards have their flaws but I don't think anyone who doesn't come from a smasher/umbreon ultratroll background would argue that they're worse than the melee boards right now. Literally the best thread on there is "Why are these boards dead"

Money incentives are ballsack. No one ever got good because of the money, although a couple of people who would be better off retired have stuck around because of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom