• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Sorry if I'm dredging up stuff that isn't really relevant anymore, but damn I just read some stuff in the math/science vs. other pursuits debate a ways back and I couldn't take it.

There were a number of places where people claim that mathematicians/scientists are universally awkward, socially inept people. NOT TURE! I'm a math and cs major. Yeah, there are some awkward people in both, especially in cs. However, there are plenty of people in both pursuits that act just like anybody else. Geniuses, too.

In fact, just to go back to the examples that were being thrown around at the time, I would venture to say that math majors are MORE socially graceful than public policy majors. You know the only thing the public policy majors I know (and I know a loooot) talk about? ****ing public policy and social justice and ****. NON-****ING STOP. Even when they're drinking. How the hell can you drink with a guy who just won't shut up about stuff like that? You know what I don't blather on about when I'm plastered? ****ing math and computer science. Because people outside of the majors just don't give a **** and at least I can recognize that. Not like these damn public policy majors, what with their greenpeace and their PIRG and whatever the hell else they go on about.

You know what math majors talk about? Doing drugs and ****ing. Because those are topics everyone finds interesting and can relate to. Last time I had a conversation with someone, I talked about how the previous weekend I did a bunch of speedball and ****ed a stripper for 10 hours straight. It was an engaging conversation.

At any rate, yeah, just wanted to clear that up.
LOL awesome post

also, threaten jerry till his tag appears on the list of attendees

Battlecow

Play to Win
I like how all the math geeks are getting offended now. How dare we? What right do I have to say that you guys are nerds? All you did was say that, you know, every field other than math or science was completely useless.
Megavolt please tell me more about how you do more drugs than me. That's so much more interesting than hearing about social justice. You're right, your liaisons with strippers are objectively more interesting to me than issues of public policy.

:phone:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
You're right, your liaisons with strippers are objectively more interesting to me than issues of public policy.
well that particular encounter is certainly more objectively interesting than public policy. I want more deets.

Also, not offended, he's just correcting the premise that studying math causes you to be socially awkward. Its really that socially awkward people are more likely to study math because it doesn't require them to communicate as much as other subjects. The cause and effect that was implied is inaccurate. Basically, if everyone studied math, the # of socially awkward people would be the same as it is now because studying math does not affect your awkwardness level.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah, basically what clubba said. I never allied myself with either side of the original argument. I just resent the stereotype that math/science people are all socially incompetent and boring. The ripping on public policy majors was just for yucks.

The Star King

Smash Hero
m3gav0lt, why. I don't think anybody actually thinks all math/science majors are socially awkward. Rule #1 - don't dredge up old arguments for no reason. You doing so was bad and you should feel bad.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Stories about random people ****ing strippers are boring. It's like a story about some guy i dont know ordering a hamburger. Yeah, it happens often. If I'm at a party with you I'd much rather hear about your social justice stuff or whatever.

And I never implied that math made people awkward. But like clubba said, a lot of em are awkward/boring people.

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
Rule #1 - don't dredge up old arguments for no reason. You doing so was bad and you should feel bad.
...lol wat?

People were making sweeping generalizations about math/science people being socially awkward. This was explicitly stated by multiple users and it was perpetuating a stereotype I think is bogus. Go back and read. It was being used as a point of an argument in a debate, so clearly people took it seriously enough to try to use it to defend their views. I was defending math and science people in a joking, lighthearted matter. Some of you apparently took that waaaay too seriously.

I was trying to get people to laugh. People I showed the post to IRL laughed. I don't feel bad. I shouldn't feel bad. I made it about as clear as possible I was being absurd and joking around. The people who were offended or whatever need to lighten up.

Battlecow

Play to Win
No one got offended

I just disagree + didn't think the post was funny

And SK doesn't like dredging up old arguments.

Don't be so defensive, roll with it.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Hmm, must've been bad lamb, the lamb chops and rack of lamb that I've had weren't particularly fatty.
yeah probably depends on the cut. I've had beef that was too fatty as well.

I can't eat veal without feeling terrible morally.
but it's A-ok to eat them if they're a little older?

also do you eat eggs? can't get any younger than that ;)

I forgot the name but there's a place over here that serves exotic burgers, I remember trying buffalo, ostrich and alligator all were great and have unique flavoUrs

Damn bear seems...unusual, I'd try it I suppose but not if it was killed only for meat
i've had bison. it's pretty damn good IMO.

Yeah, there are some awkward people in both, especially in cs.
interesting. I would have thought the opposite. CS people at least have the "brogrammer" stereotype.

If I'm at a party with you I'd much rather hear about your social justice stuff or whatever.
sounds like a fun party :p

The Star King

Smash Hero
...lol wat?

People were making sweeping generalizations about math/science people being socially awkward. This was explicitly stated by multiple users and it was perpetuating a stereotype I think is bogus. Go back and read. It was being used as a point of an argument in a debate, so clearly people took it seriously enough to try to use it to defend their views. I was defending math and science people in a joking, lighthearted matter. Some of you apparently took that waaaay too seriously.

I was trying to get people to laugh. People I showed the post to IRL laughed. I don't feel bad. I shouldn't feel bad. I made it about as clear as possible I was being absurd and joking around. The people who were offended or whatever need to lighten up.
you took my post waaaaay more seriously than you should have >_> This post is so ironic lol. I wasn't serious at all. Internet!

We cool bro, we cool

TANK64

Smash Lord
The **** am I reading! >___>

Any-****ING-way, lets talk about something cool, like how great my life is right now.

I'm soo glad that I'm cutting again. Eating 5000+ calories a day is ****ing EXHAUSTING...

Also got a badass scale AND a badass food scale for Christmas from my epic gf :)

AND I got a new dress form from two of my awesome sisters :)

*sigh* Life is good.

Channighan

Smash Ace
TANK I have an urge to see every female that is in your life right now. In a non weird way, of course.

Funny, because I meet more socially awkward people in my AP classes than I did in my regular ed classes.

TANK64

Smash Lord
TANK I have an urge to see every female that is in your life right now. In a non weird way, of course.
We've been dating my current gf for almost 6 months, but I guess it's been a while since the FB chat days.

and yea, not weird...

Maybe a have a picture from THE Christmas party.

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
i played online last week and everyone is afraid to show their real face shout-out to whoever i played

Dingus

Smash Cadet
I know the discussion about mushrooms, pizza, meat, and food was a couple pages back, but I dont care. I might suck peen at smash, but im good at food and you people made me very sad

1) Good pizza shouldnt have mushrooms on it. Good pizza shouldnt have sausage or pepperoni on it. In fact, good pizza should have nothing on it. Good pizza should be a simple margarita or plain. If you have to put lots of toppings on your pizza to make it edible then your pizza sucks and you shouldnt put sucky things in your mouth.

2) The following vegetables are all delicious: mushrooms, artichokes, green beans, brussel sprouts, cabbage, spinach and celery. In all my years i am yet to come across a vegetable that is not good in some dishes when prepared properly. And "properly" often means simply.

• a) Brussel sprouts just roasted in the oven with a good olive oil and a good sea salt / pepper come out amazing. The outer layers get all crispy, caramelized, and sweet while the insides are juicy goodness.
  • b) Spinach sauteed with a generous amount of garlic and shallots is also delicious.
  • c) I will admit that mushrooms were the one food I didnt like when I was younger, but that was because I was a ****ing idiot.
  • d) okra is also lovely, although usually fried or in gumbo. I will admit that if improperly prepared it becomes stringy and nasty, but all foods are nasty when improperly prepared.
  • e) celery should probably rarely be used as a center piece to any dish, but it adds a lovely depth to stocks / soups
  • f) whoever doesnt like avocados is a ****ing moron

3) Meat is delicious and there is no such thing as too fatty. Well thats not entirely true, real japanese kobe is possibly too fatty, but that is an exception. Good grass fed beef is easily the best meat, followed closely by well prepared pork belly / thick cut bacon. Other notable meats include chicken cooked by japanese people and some lamb chops / stews. Other cuts of pork are generally pretty weak. Most "rare" game meats tend to mediocre at best because they have low fat and are usually tough.

4) Seafood is glorious and you shouldnt trust anyone who doesn"t eat it. Oysters are the clear winner, as good oysters are orgasm inducing. Even dirty vegans should eat them because they have no centralized nervous system and oyster farming is good for the environment

Suck on my tasty knowledge.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
I've had amazing quality plain pizza, toppings just enhance it that much more, stay rustled. If youre having your so-called 'real' pizza than you'll notice the high level of enhanced flavor from non mushroom toppings right away. Cool hipster viewpoints on the veggies though. All vegetables lose a whole lot of their nutrition value by being cooked BTW

What level into really enjoying food can one get to regarding tomatoes and cheese on bread...genuine question

Battlecow

Play to Win
sounds like a fun party :p
*****es don't know about sweating profusely and desperately trying to force your sparking, corkscrewing mind to follow some beautiful girl's stream-of-consciousness busta rhymes speed rant about the nature of society then trying to reply coherently, giving up and saying something in French, and watching a look of pure understanding sweep across her face as the both of you share a totally unwarranted connection

as opposed to "DUDE IM SO HIGH I ****ED A STRIPPER"

"YEAH I **** STRIPPERS TOO"

"WE'RE TOTALLY THE SAME THAT"S AWESOME"

which is boring

Dingus

Smash Cadet
What level into really enjoying food can one get to regarding tomatoes and cheese on bread...genuine question
Im honestly not sure I understand your questions, but ill respond anyway. Despite its apparent simplicity, pizza is difficult to do right. The most important part for me is the bread. A quality pizza crust needs a nice crispy outside with just enough chew on the inside and a proper amount of salt. Quality pizza dough doesnt come out of the careless kitchens of most pizza joints. Like any good bread products it comes out of the meticulous kitchens of dedicated people. In my experience 99% of pizza places are garbage and the difference between the average pizza joint on every corner and great place is monumental. No food (except for maybe chinese) is so poorly represented in this world.

Then of course you have the tomatoes, cheese, AND BASIL, all of which need very careful sourcing. These ingredients all have the potential to be quite bland and disgusting, but can also be incredibly flavorful / complex / sweet / bright / bold / glorious. Finally you have the magic. Even with all amazing components, not all pizza is equally amazing. Some places merely have the gift that allows them to combine these ingredients into a perfectly balanced pizza. Pizza takes real skill to make properly and equally takes understanding to truely appreciate.

Every time i see an advertisement for pappa johns / pizza hut / domnos / some other ****, I die a little on the inside.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Real talk, I hate "good" pizza. Like Italian pizza. There's a reason so many people like the big chains other than the cheapness; it's more palatable to us non food critics. Pizza (and by that I mean the kind of pizza that the COMMON MAN enjoys) is delicious. IMO that greasy no-sauce-or-way-too-much stuff should be in like a different category.

I'm real snobby about a lot of things but very much a culinary proletarian

Dingus

Smash Cadet
Real talk, I hate "good" pizza. Like Italian pizza. There's a reason so many people like the big chains other than the cheapness; it's more palatable to us non food critics. Pizza (and by that I mean the kind of pizza that the COMMON MAN enjoys) is delicious. IMO that greasy no-sauce-or-way-too-much stuff should be in like a different category.

Good pizza is not always italian pizza, but italian pizza is more often good. If you have eaten truely exceptional pizza and still prefer generic chain crap then fine. I can't argue with your taste buds (eventhough they are broken). The real problem is that most people "love" bad food until they taste what good food can be, then their minds explode.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
*****es don't know about sweating profusely and desperately trying to force your sparking, corkscrewing mind to follow some beautiful girl's stream-of-consciousness busta rhymes speed rant about the nature of society then trying to reply coherently, giving up and saying something in French, and watching a look of pure understanding sweep across her face as the both of you share a totally unwarranted connection
this sounds like a way to get into a girl's pants as opposed to having an unwarranted connection.

my buddy always tells unsuspecting girls he speaks french, and when they tell him to say something, he leans in real close and whispers in her ear that he wants to slit her throat and drink her blood while he ****s her eyes out. and they get all googoogaga and ask him what he said.
"oh, just that you're a terribly pretty girl and i want to talk to you somewhere more private."

smashmanx7

Smash Journeyman
Wow that's kinda morbid that just only proves that girls would go crazy over any person with a cool accent. Quick question do females from other countries find American accents attractive cause I'm going to Italy in a couple of months.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean with chemical imbalances affecting your thought processes you can have lots of very meaningful connections based on nothing at all, hence totally unwarranted

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
so you mean to say it's better and leads to better outcomes to be under the influence of mind/mood altering substances and talk about random things, but not to be sober and talk about drugs?

i dunno, always seems for me, that when i meet someone who drinks a lot or does a lot of acid, we always start off talking about the illicit things and that more often than not leads us into a friendship cuz we can now drink with someone else.

however, if i'm wasted and trying to talk to someone about smash or tetris, they'll just nod and walk over to the next dude.

shrug.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean smash and tetris are boring things to hear wasted guys talk about if you don't play smash or tetris

whereas grand issues of, for example, social justice take on fantastic and fascinating proportions

Olikus

Smash Champion

what about the pizza you got in norway? Did you like it? =)

firo

Smash Ace
Chain pizza is extremely mediocre. If you want pizza worth talking about (in the U.S. at least), you'll need to go New York and grab a slice there.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Dingus you are talking about two different market niches lol. I have had the best potato chips in the world, it doesn't meant I'm not going to go out and grab maccas' fries every week.

you're right, the best pizza is from italy and it's all about the dough. it generally only comes with a couple of herbs on it like oregano and nothing else. on the other hand, i run a dominos in australia because it makes me a tonne of money, using hella cheap ingredients but still dominates the market in australia because we can still make really ****ing good pizza. yeah it's not going to to come close to 'proper' italian pizza, but people aren't going to always have the money to go to a nice restaurant, pay however much and wait however long for a proper pizza. they come to me, pay $5 and wait 7 minutes for my famous godfather =)

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ciaza can i get two large meatlovers with a large diet coke, PM'd you my address, idk what delivery promises dominos makes but im pretty sure i get it for free right

also pizza elitists are annoying people, even worse than coffee elitists

Top Bottom