• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
I've been to Wyoming before. They have a rest stop that sells 50 cent ice cream cones that they advertise like 200 miles in advance. Worth it though

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Attention mods,

I was going to post this as a thread but I know that you guys wouldn't hesitate to lock it, so I'll post it here instead.

New people come onto these boards all of the time. Some have a pretty good idea of what high level smash is like. They know all about the advanced techniques and have a pretty good idea of what the tier list should be. Other people, however, come onto these boards and are not so familiar with high level play. They think that a roll heavy play style that utilizes smash attacks is the best meta to play in. They think that characters like Link, Ness, and Luigi are the best and don't really know what kirby's U-tilt is or how good Fox's laser can be. A lot of times these type of players will end up posting a thread that encompasses their beliefs of SSB.

These threads get locked by mods every single time. Instead of letting these new players discuss their beginner-beliefs with advanced players, mods bound these players to the already-existing threads and force them to learn there. When somebody has beginner-beleifs about a game, the best way to teach them is to show them exactly why their beliefs are "beginner." The best way is to talk with these players and try to get to the bottom of their primitive beliefs of smash and have them know exactly what's wrong.

Although that is the best way to teach beginners, this community consistently forces these new players to conform to the already-existing ideas of smash without giving them a chance to learn. I've seen so many players come on to these boards, have their n00b-like threads get shutdown (usually after having high-level players mock them for a while), and then leave.

I understand the logic behind locking these threads, and I agree that often times they'll get taken off topic or be subject to flamewars or something, but I highly recommend infracting/removing specific posts in the thread as opposed to locking the entire thread. Locking a thread seems like a really easy solution, but it's not the best solution. Often times, you are doing nothing more than preventing beginning players from understanding exactly what it is that they're doing wrong.

Lately it seems that any opinion that is not of the norm is seen as spam and silenced. Its a shame. The bottom line is this: please think twice before you willingly lock threads. Nine times out of ten, the thread and its original poster are fine. It's the people that regularly post here that usually kill the thread, and unfortunately it's the beginners that pay the price.

Thanks for reading,

Kero

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
If someone joins nicely and asks questions, people will be nice and give answers back. Someone that just joins and starts throwing out random facts like they know everything and making ridiculous claims without even bothering to read or look around at all, is going to have people making fun of them. A thread close is fine imo. If someone really enjoys this game and really wants to get better they won't be discouraged just by having their thread closed.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think users don't need to make new threads in general, especially when it's for a topic that already exists. If people are flaming someone for asking questions or whatnot in an existing thread, you guys should just pass on a report or message to someone and we'll destroy them in the most ridiculing way possible. I'm not sure about all threads and all new players attempts of discussion, but eh. This particular time someone was posting a thread because his opinion wasn't being "respected" in the already existing thread.

Last edited:

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
I honestly felt I was going to make a breakthrough in the recent closed thread. I feel that it was prematurely closed and he was about to actually verbalize his tier list reasoning. I think it's okay to make fun of someone making blind claims but not victimize them and make assumptions of which character they think is the best just because they have an ego. The good part about it is you'll have good players that would play you to prove you wrong. But of course you're gonna get verbally slammed if you're bad when you make big claims. Truth is you don't even have to say you're the best for people to play you. You can just play them online and they'll tell if you if they were playing someone else or something.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think the conversation can validly continue somewhere, and it should. I just dislike the beacon of +1postcountflamingopportunities which new threads by new users tend to be.

Annex

Smash Ace
If someone really enjoys this game and really wants to get better they won't be discouraged just by having their thread closed.
I think it could.
But even if it doesn't the goal isn't just to have them get better, it's to have them get competitive and involved with the community, right? And it's most certainly shutting that down.

It DESERVED to be locked, but that doesn't mean it should.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
why can't people just ask their questions in the character threads/ask a question thread and gradually get to know the community

like i've seen lots of people do? and did myself

Sangoku

Smash Master
Kero, I'm almost sure that Beatmyluigi guy is a troll given the way he posts. He only makes claims, never explaining anything and has overall a weird tone that reminds me heavily of smasher. On the contrary Armando is just the beginner you described: has wrong beliefs and think we are in the wrong. And even though he hasn't made a thread, I don't think we're shutting him down in the Samus discussion thread. Chaostatic and I are answering him seriously.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
this morning i saw a toucan. it crossed the road perfectly perpendicular, slowly, and around 15ft in the air. i fumbled my pocket to see if i could feel a pokédex or something that would confirm i had at last become an anime. it was a cellphone

close, but no cigar

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Kero, I'm almost sure that Beatmyluigi guy is a troll given the way he posts. He only makes claims, never explaining anything and has overall a weird tone that reminds me heavily of smasher. On the contrary Armando is just the beginner you described: has wrong beliefs and think we are in the wrong. And even though he hasn't made a thread, I don't think we're shutting him down in the Samus discussion thread. Chaostatic and I are answering him seriously.
Very well. I'l admit that as someone who started out like BeatMyLuigi, I tend to be a little bit bias on the matter and side with the n00bs. I'll be honest thought, had BeatMyLuigi given adequate reasoning behind his tier list thread, I'm almost certain it would have still been locked.

In the event it is difficult to deduce whether or not a beginner is a troll or not, I can only ask that you give them the benefit of the doubt and let their threads survive. Like I said, 90% of the time it's the players we all know that kill threads, not the beginner himself.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Yah Sangoku don't lock them until I get the chance to thrown down my typical "I'd pwn you" post.

Long standing tradition.

Last edited:

Sangoku

Smash Master
In that specific case I didn't lock it, although it doesn't change anything (I would have locked it if I saw it first) and I believe it deserved to be locked as he made absolutely no effort to actually discuss something.

Let me repost what I wrote in his first tier-list thread:
If you can't come up with any argument I won't let your tier list thread open. We've had enough of these troll tier list threads and there is no need for more. However if you (or anyone for that matter) really want a new tier list/matchup discussion, you are free to make a valid post about that. Valid means you back up your claims with arguments instead of "x sucks", "y should be higher" (ie complete opposite of what you've been doing). So as long as you provide decent explanation, examples, etc. as to why you believe x's tier list placing isn't accurate then I will allow the thread. Otherwise no, we all know how it always ends up.
I don't know how I could be clearer. So if he doesn't want to make an effort communicating, I don't see why I would have to let his threads open. I treat him the same way I would treat anyone else, regardless of their level, but according to their attitude. And I believe that if he were truely convinced by his beliefs to the point of trying to convince us, he would take the time to explain his stance. And the fact he made a thread in the tournament section about beating anyone with Bowser (not sure what game he was talking about) comforts me even more in the idea that he's a troll. I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt though as he's still not banned.

I'm not sure I should make such posts, so that's the last one on the subject. Take any further discussion to PM or to forum support.

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
I PM'd the guy trying to have a discussion, he read it with no response sooo I'm guessing he has no reasoning behind his tier list anyways and is in fact a troll. Good lock mods.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
And I believe that if he were truely convinced by his beliefs to the point of trying to convince us, he would take the time to explain his stance.
when you put it way it does sound ridiculous to defend a tier list opinion. nice policy mods, keeps the forum clean

Sangoku

Smash Master
It sounds the way you want to interprete it I guess (especially taken out of context). I've said it already, but now I will infract. Let's STOP that discussion. Send me a PM if you have a problem with the decisions I made (or that Shaya made).

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
I don't know how I could be clearer. So if he doesn't want to make an effort communicating, I don't see why I would have to let his threads open. I treat him the same way I would treat anyone else, regardless of their level, but according to their attitude. And I believe that if he were truely convinced by his beliefs to the point of trying to convince us, he would take the time to explain his stance. And the fact he made a thread in the tournament section about beating anyone with Bowser (not sure what game he was talking about) comforts me even more in the idea that he's a troll. I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt though as he's still not banned.
I know you wanted this convo to be taken to PM, but I want it to publicly be known that I was unaware of what you wrote in the first tier list thread and was unfamiliar with BeatMyLuigi's Bowser post (and most of his other previous posts for that matter). I shouldn't have made claims without first looking into all of the details.
I was wrong, my apologies. :bubblebobble:

Yah Sangoku don't lock them until I get the chance to thrown down my typical "I'd pwn you" post.

Long standing tradition.
lol the first post I ever read from sheermadness:

I'd pwn Kero and Diablo with Yoshi.

:)

EDIT: And Fox
EDIT: And probably several characters I don't even play

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
I know you wanted this convo to be taken to PM, but I want it to publicly be known that I was unaware of what you wrote in the first tier list thread and was unfamiliar with BeatMyLuigi's Bowser post (and most of his other previous posts for that matter). I shouldn't have made claims without first looking into all of the details.
I was wrong, my apologies. :bubblebobble:
Your failure to be omniscient will not be tolerated. Infract him for not knowing everything @ Sangoku Sangoku

Top Bottom