• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
this was my fav vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cdu5lMWPevk
the first guy is too good

That video is so good watched it a lot, I made a trip out to Cali once to help a friend move out there, who also plays smash but different friend, and has since moved back, but when he was living out there he skated with a guy that was in that video a lot like how you would go out and skate with friends, it was the dude that always skated with a basketball jersey the joke part it says william patrick and the guy's white but the person that skates name is tyrone olson and he's a black guy in a wig. I thought it was pretty funny when that video came out.

@ Herbert Von Karajan Herbert Von Karajan You mean Todd Falcon, who also plays smash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6E8BGHIt9Q

Last edited:

stylisland

Smash Apprentice

skateboarding is what you make it. I think this part really captures what skateboarding is, and there's barely any skateboarding in it.

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
Omg i despise that whole genre of skating.
In a 1992 skateboarding media article, entitled "The House That Rodney Built", Mullen was credited with inventing the following list of tricks (years included):
  • Godzilla rail flip (1979)
  • 540-degree shove-it (1979)
  • 50/50 Saran wrap (1979)
  • 50/50 Casper (1980)
  • Helipop (1980)
  • Flatground ollie (1981)
  • Gazelle flip (1981)
  • No-handed 50/50 (1981)
  • Kick flip (1982)
  • Heel flip (1982)
  • Impossible (1982)
  • Sidewinder (1983)
  • 360 flip (1983)
  • 360 pressure flip (1983)
  • Casper 360 flip (1983)
  • Half-cab kick flip (1983)
  • 50/50 sidewinder (1983)
  • One-footed ollie (1984)
  • Backside 180 flip (1984)
  • Ollie nosebone (1986)
  • Ollie finger flip (1986)
  • Airwalk (1986)
  • Frontside heel flip shove-it (1988)
  • Switchstance 360 flip (1990)
  • Helipop heel flip (1990)
  • Kick flip under flip (1992)
  • Casper slide (1992)
  • Half flip darkslide (1992)[41]
Yeah that whole genre of skateboarding is garbage

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You guys have a player tier list decided by debating? Having issues with alts or things?

What about setting up some sort of ladder system? Incentivising people to play with their real names and stuff?

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
You guys have a player tier list decided by debating? Having issues with alts or things?

What about setting up some sort of ladder system? Incentivising people to play with their real names and stuff?
"oh man i suck at this game and don't want people to see how low i am on the ladder. time to use alts and avoid the system entirely."

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
well, what incentives do there need to be to circumvent that? flashy forum banners maybe? a medal? (silly/simple things, but they may help?)

Something that really seems prevalent in online communities (more so than in person things) is the whole disillusionment of skill, that it pushes people to be sneaky/avoid each other/etc etc rather than taking it as inspiration to get better or for goal-defining. There so many games I'm bad in (comparatively to top level), but at this point I care less about that comparison and more about observing my own improvements. Is the trash-talking so real that one can simply not allow their online guise to continue existing if they lose to someone?

I do sympathise though, when I was playing omega amounts of 64 in a community that had its "keyboard using roots" die off and the controller-users definitely became more dominant and there were insurmountable walls in relation to the capabilities between the two that it kinda felt like the investment had to be made lest there wasn't a point trying to compete, but... eh. </lifestoryignorethisparagraph>

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master

No comments from the peanut gallery.

Also Tony Hawk is better than all of you. I was the best at Tony Hawk Pro Skater. Therefore, I am better than all of you.

Also, lets see any of you try and do a super mcvarial 900.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
smash is for people who suck at real fighting games.

has anyone ever drawn a learning curve for each or some characters?

stylisland

Smash Apprentice
Skateboarding is for people who suck at real sports.

I think you mean bowling and e-sports skateboarding isn't a sport unless you're really into contest people have whole skate careers without skating a contest

Also I've been to contests like Tampa am and the people that have already made it pretty much just party all weekend and try really dumb tricks for contests and usually get close to last place

Last edited:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
You don't know what you're talking about.
huh? I see it in Quake Live all the time. There is a website qlranks.com that has "ELO" rankings of each player (it automatically updates after every game you play). People then play under alts so that they don't worry about losing ELO points on their main account. Now for smash there isn't an automated system like that but still people might worry "if I play on my main name and lose someone will post in the Online Player Tier List thread about how I suck".

Especially since a lot of the discussion in the online player tier list thread seems to come from friendlies.

Last edited:

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace

The Star King

Smash Hero
I do sympathise though, when I was playing omega amounts of 64 in a community that had its "keyboard using roots" die off and the controller-users definitely became more dominant and there were insurmountable walls in relation to the capabilities between the two that it kinda felt like the investment had to be made lest there wasn't a point trying to compete, but... eh. </lifestoryignorethisparagraph>
You must be too old school, people somehow think keyboard is OP now :^)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
smash is for people who suck at real fighting games.

has anyone ever drawn a learning curve for each or some characters?
I would put it as: a gateway to other fighting games

Judging by people like Chris G and others starting smash and then evolving to Mahvel or others

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
also, smash 64/melee is hard mode for most fighting game players
Yeah right. Maybe melee because only that community is stupid enough to brag about a fighting game actually requiring as much arthritis inducing APM as starcraft, but nothing in 64 is hard compared to fighting games except doing good DI

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You must be too old school, people somehow think keyboard is OP now :^)
I played smash64 religiously throughout the entirety of my high school years :p

I'm assuming that's because the emulators you guys play on now have better keyboard macros and stuff?

I used to find Fox techskill easier on keyboard (although I still wasn't consistent with shine dashing back when I played), could never do a thing when playing with a GC controller and could it with less consistency on n64.

Kero where's your skate vid bruh? You better make one now that you brought up this whole thing. pls

http://smashboards.com/threads/japanese-style-online-ranking-system.350952/

cummon step it up
I've seen that, but it isn't active or is it? First post doesn't have any results that I could see.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
I'm assuming that's because the emulators you guys play on now have better keyboard macros and stuff?
ldsddfkjdfkd;lds;l
sdgknsdgkhgakhladgslagih'waerih'g'khlzgfkzgj;l
g

goddammit shaya this is what happens when you start playing brawl

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
So cheating in smash 64 is okay? :{

But yeah, I missed the entirety of Hyrule actually being a used stage. Its the first thing I saw when I came back briefly and was at least half the reason I left. You can't seriously play on a stage like Hyrule legal after playing Brawl.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Yeah right. Maybe melee because only that community is stupid enough to brag about a fighting game actually requiring as much arthritis inducing APM as starcraft, but nothing in 64 is hard compared to fighting games except doing good DI
Lolthis

I don't know why people think 64 is fast at all outside of perhaps using a technical Ness/Yoshi/Fox. Otherwise, in terms of apm, the game in comparison to other fighters is basically slow as Brawls.

Last edited:

M!nt

Smash Champion
I would put it as: a gateway to other fighting games

Judging by people like Chris G and others starting smash and then evolving to Mahvel or others
mixa was making a joke based on what kys said about skateboarding.
I've seen that, but it isn't active or is it? First post doesn't have any results that I could see.
Read the second post where it says ENTRANTS / RESULTS

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
ok, ill give you 64

are there any examples of great FGC players moving over to smash bros from any fighting game?

i've seen bum and forward do well in marvel, and chris g was reportedly a smash bros player, but i havent heard of anything the other way around

justing wong did gdlk in apex i guess

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
ok, ill give you 64

are there any examples of great FGC players moving over to smash bros from any fighting game?

i've seen bum and forward do well in marvel, and chris g was reportedly a smash bros player, but i havent heard of anything the other way around

justing wong did gdlk in apex i guess
FGC players usually stick to their own niches. Just like how smash players mostly play smash games, Capcom players play capcom games (SF, marvel, etc.), Namco players play namco games (Tekken, soul calibur), Anime fighters (blazblue, guilty gear, persona 4), etc.

You don't hear of FGC players moving to smash bros not because it's harder, but because they just don't care and they already have games they like. They're also used to using high quality arcade style sticks so the idea of having to use a gamecube or n64 controller to compete is an incredible downgrade.

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
sure, but im just interested in any other opinions

i cant say ive ever played a 2d fighter at the top level (or smash, for that matter), but i dont think 2d fighters are unquestionably harder than smash in any element aside from probably techskill

The Star King

Smash Hero
I have wanted to get into Smash64, but never certain of the preferred controller scheme these days. n64, gamecube, keyboard? I mean conventional tourney legal.
N64 is the most common of course. Including several who use Hori Mini Pad, which is an alternate 64 controller (licensed by Nintendo or something) with a more Gamecube-ish stick and layout. A few people use alternate stuff.

Last edited:

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Xeylode, if you're planning on using a Gamecube controller (GC for Brawl, Melee, PM, and 64), then you need to buy this. Chain-Ace uses this adapter to play console Smash 64. No one will say that your controller setup is not allowed. It's really up to what you're comfortable with. Though I'd suggest you not use the Gamecube controller as the button layout is bit too spread out for 64. Also, the analog shoulder buttons will need to have their springs removed in order to not have to press all the way down to register a button input. If I were you, I'd pick up a decent N64 controller. (Make sure to grease the controller's analog stick if you're getting an OG controller.) The Hori minipad is a nice option, but it'll take some getting used to if you're used to the other bigger controller. The only advantage I can think of is that the stick is a lot nicer, but everything else is meh at best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom