• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Sedda

Smash Champion
Unfortunately the only thing that we know from that is that the speed is going to be somewhere between Melee and Brawl. It's impossible to know what Sakurai means by "hardcore." What does "hardcore" mean to Sakurai?

EDIT- btw, what do you guys think of Z cancelling as a mechanic? I was talking/arguing about it with some people on the smash 4 threads.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
aside from a few select scenarios in which not z-cancelling is better than z-cancelling, it is nothing but a tech skill barrier. Some people like that, some people don't. Personally, I think smash is great because all of the inputs are so simple and there are no unnecessary inputs, with the lone exception being z-cancelling. I think the game would be better without it personally.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
"aside from a few select scenarios in which not z-cancelling is better than z-cancelling"

I can think of 2:

- Jiggs dair
- having so much time between your Falcon uairs that you can afford to miss the z-cancel

any others?

Sedda

Smash Champion
People were actually using the fact that "it satisfies them" to be able to do it as a good reason to keep it in the game.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I like Z/L-Canceling. I like the idea of a reward system.

But this topic has been argued way too much. It's being argued right now in the melee section.

killa k

Smash Ace
Yep, Z/L cancelling should be an automatic thing. Brawl had the right idea removing it, but the wrong idea keeping the lag...

asianaussie

Smash Hero
if purposely not z-cancelling opened up actual not terrible options (jiggs d-air aside) then i would be all for it

but it does not, hence it is merely a useless extra button press that no other game series subscribes to for a very good reason

B Link

Smash Lord
Man I was really, really hyped for brawl. Of course, my level of excitement died out once I realized how bad it was. But the new ssb4 videos aren't giving me anything close to an equivalent level of excitement. Does anyone else feel the same way? :/

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I no longer get super excited for new smash games because at this point my reactions are pretty predictable.

play melee: I fall super fast? Going back to 64.

play brawl: I tripped? 64.

play ssb4: I ___________? More 64.

That being said, I will totally buy a wii u just for ssb4. Not gonna get a 3DS though, handheld games are meh for me with the exception being pokemon red and blue.

Speaking of pokemon, I started playing Earthbound last night. Its like simplified pokemon, I love it.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Well I don't have my razzle dazzle psychic CREW yet, so its just me cracking ******* over the head with my baseball bat (and some occasional psychic shannanigans when I have the PP). I guess I consider it simplified because of my current number of options while in combat, but then again facing multiple opponents in battle makes it a bit more complicated... I retract. But a lot of the similarities are making me realize all of the things that I thought came from pokemon actually came earlier.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm officially + exclusively a citizen of West Wonderland now

New york is like the top right corner of the ****in country, terrible place for a server.

But yeah no 99% of it is just selfish reasons and me holding onto my low frames with my greedy grubby little paws

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Earthbound was a ton of fun, if you find the time give the sequel and the prequel a run as well, as I enjoyed them a lot too.

I'm really glad a new smash is coming out, I like getting new smash flavors. I enjoy all of them as they each have their own charm (mother**** melee 90% of the time tho), so I don't see why I would hate the new one.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to be in Seattle next, week. Are there any players there?

EDIT: forgot about the smash map, left a message for Jel
Hi.

I'm working all next week, but I'm sure I can find some time for some Smash. I guess I'll probably hear from Jel if you two manage to arrange something.

madrush21

Smash Journeyman
Hi.

I'm working all next week, but I'm sure I can find some time for some Smash. I guess I'll probably hear from Jel if you two manage to arrange something.
I might be up in Seattle a few times over the rest of the year, and if there's a tournament I'll do my best to attend

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
http://kotaku.com/the-next-smash-bros-will-balance-casual-and-hardcore-513211771

First no tripping, and now this?
I must admit, Sakurai is making me proud right now.
Good to see them getting some bad out.

you probably killed all your expectations

i don't care what anyone says, the way they've done mega man makes me trembly in good ways
Yeah I also cant wait to try out Mega man.

I'm going to be in Seattle next, week. Are there any players there?

EDIT: forgot about the smash map, left a message for Jel
Yep me and Kefit are both in Seattle as will as Bladewise. We should have a smash fest with money matches that would be fun :) maybe I will get Brax & Sudo to join too. I will send you a PM and we will get something going.

Also for my Birthday I went out to this game store called Super smash games. I was able to pick up two good N64 controllers what a lucky day :)

bloodpeach

Smash Journeyman
If you like Earthbound you should play Mother 3 (the sequel) when you finish. It's easily my favorite RPG. Mother (prequel) is the weakest of the trilogy imo, but still a fun game in it's own right.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
mother 3 felt the most polished, those sprite details are amazing. if you enjoyed that and earthbound chances are that you will like mother (but it plays like an old rpg..and i mean a real old real difficult one at that)

favorite rpgs are still chrono trigger and tales of symphonia, mother 3 is a close 3rd

Battlecow

Play to Win
Every time someone on the reddit group asks about 64 they get a bunch of melee players telling them that it's a cool game but dated and simple compared to the glorious melee master-game

kinda dumb

Smashboards is way better because you get to read posts for yourself and decide how trustworthy the guy posting it is. On reddit there are more melee players than 64 ones so they just upvote the post that reflects their own ignorant-ass beliefs about how it's impossible to play competitively.

/rage

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Any of Y'ALL going to EVO? 'Cause I am, and if you're going, bring a 64 console, and ****'s gonna go down.

Top Bottom