• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

clubbadubba

Smash Master
sk can't even di on kb's. also, sk is a n00b and would get 10th even with kb.

I read you post sangoku, i just misunderstood. I read everything you write. Well, no, but some of it :)

SheerMadness

Smash Master
How does one test legality? "Oh, SK did really well so I guess we should ban keyboards so we don't have to play against him anymore"
You're right SK isn't the best example because his KB DI isn't hax like other players. But he's really the only high tier keyboard player that's involved at all with the console tourney scene. Getting Killer to somehow make it to Zenith would be better but that's very unlikely.

kys

Smash Ace
This is never going to be agreed upon unanimously sooooo......

The only controllers allowed at tourneys are 1st party original N64 controllers. Boom.

If you suck with N64, don't have one and find yourself broke, tough. Save up, grease up and practice up.

This coming from a MadCatz XBOX 360 user, whose sensitivity has to be turned down so low the c-button jumps higher than the stick. Get at me.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Seeding is never perfect, and even with better seeding one may have a tougher matchup. I played stranded in the second round of RBR, you played 'Dan?'.. And TOs just have to do the best they can in the amount of time allotted. Sure pools would be better, but you really think random would be better than seeded? Sure there are people 33rd who could be 17th and vice versa but random would make the results much much worse..
see, according to the seeding system that is used, you should have had my bracket, right? but i mean, that argument can be used for every placement is my point - move some names around and you get different results. it goes both ways; if kero placed lower than me or if i placed higher than jerry or anything like that, the results are never going to be as accurate as they could be.

but chain ace organized the bracket in a specific way, and apex is organized in a specific way. that's my main gripe - it's basically set up so that, if all goes according to plan, the winners are practically predetermined. there are upsets, yes, but there could be some really interesting matches early on and later on.

but for the time being, it has been said that they are working on a 128 cap/no cap for apex and maybe pools. so let us just pray that we get that :)
Also, who you've beaten in a friendly doesn't hold much weight, but if you want I can come to Rutgers today and show you how we do this, young blood
i'm doing work today but FRIDAY SMASHFEST?

so i can EXPOSE THE JIMMYJOE

and then DRINK HEAVILY

also, i don't want people to take things i say the wrong way (LEAST OF ALL YOU JIMMYJOE); i'm not saying i'm x better than y person or that placed in a different bracket i would have gotten 17th instead of 33rd. but i [/i]always[/i] play to have a 100% fun match whether it's in friendlies or in tourney. i don't sacrifice enjoyment for placement, and as for me, personally, i enjoy random things better than set things. the 12 random cb/random stagelist i played with steven this past weekend was one of the best times i've had playing smash!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Cobr that's just how seeding works. Just look at March Madness - a "selection committee" just uses their best judgement to seed 68 teams into a bracket. Every year there are teams that people believe are over or under seeded, and some teams get screwed by seeding every year, but that's just how it is.

Sangoku

Smash Master
This coming from a MadCatz XBOX 360 user, whose sensitivity has to be turned down so low the c-button jumps higher than the stick. Get at me.
Who am I to judge, but you shouldn't do that, as it also impairs your air x-acceleration. Which means your recovery is impaired, your combos might be too, etc.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Time to make a poll on the keyboard legality issue. Even if it has no bearing on dictator Nintendude's (hehe) decision, it'll be interesting to see the overall stance on it.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
yeah, i know that's how it works, and that's why i dislike it: everyone should have a fair shot and not be screwed by a seed. alas.
in the nba, however, seeding is done based on wins throughout the season - which is to say, personal performance dictates one's placement as opposed to a "selection committee". i understand that TO's take past tournament results into account, but it's not like there's a large tournament every month that has 30+ smashers enter.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
yeah, i know that's how it works, and that's why i dislike it: everyone should have a fair shot and not be screwed by a seed. alas.
in the nba, however, seeding is done based on wins throughout the season - which is to say, personal performance dictates one's placement as opposed to a "selection committee". i understand that TO's take past tournament results into account, but it's not like there's a large tournament every month that has 30+ smashers enter.
Well, we did try to use results from as many tournaments as possible to seed Apex, as well as personal testimony from people like Boom. I didn't get any complaints about seeding anyway. I don't really see how we could have seeded it any better than we did. Next year we want to do pools though.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
i'm doing work today but FRIDAY SMASHFEST?

so i can EXPOSE THE JIMMYJOE

and then DRINK HEAVILy
Damn son, don't you know Fridays are girlfriend/gumar days?
Why don't you sacrifice doing work so you can play smash and I can do work (ohh snap).

Ok for serious though, we all have our stances on the issue of controllers for smash, but I do think the online/offline community of competitive smash64 players that care to take part in a vote should be able to vote on the issue and that TOs should respect the community standards for fairness when running a major tournament (obviously this does not include specialized tourneys like 12char battle, random character, low tier, or any other weird/fun ideas people want to try to host).

I think any controller that uses an analogue stick and buttons should be allowed due to the aging of the system. Here are the stipulations:
No macros
No buttons for analogue stick functions.
You may program your buttons for buttons,
And analogue stick for analogue stick.
If your controller of choice is not a Nintendo endorsed N64 controller, the anolgoue stick must be able to do a full stick jump. I.e. the range must be as similar as possible to the original controller.

That being said, If a fair vote is taken and the majority wants KBs allowed at major competitive offline events, then I can respect that.

Truthfully I think TOs should try to adhere to community standards if possible regarding rules(controllers, stages), and I think if you're passionate enough about it sheer, you could organize the vote. While I'm conservative in the issue(maybe not as much as Clubba), I def wouldnt mind an online vote, even if KB users are all a part of the online community, where as many good console players are not.

¨°PÞ-§°¨ Bane

Smash Apprentice
You're sadly mistaken if you've never played anyone like legendary, yab, or kuzinator. They had kb di that made it nearly impossible to do a simple falcon uair combo. I swear some kb players even get out of hitstun faster than normal.
actually think i played leg recently and was able to combo him fine with falcon. maybe you just can't follow DI that well? :troll:

i mean, i remember isai would be able to follow my DI no problem and finish me off. i think that if you're an effective player you'll be able to follow up and find ways to trap people in unconventional combos/situations. a lot of times when you get out of a combo you end up getting stuck in ****ty stage positioning and you have more % than you did before and the other player also has momentum on you, sooooo

imo the main bs aspect of kb DI comes into play when moves that would normally kill end up not killing (e.g. dairing someone off the stage and having him teleport 50 feet to get back on). i'm big on the importance of percentage and i would agree that it's not fair when you need to rack up more % on a kb player than you would have to to kill a controller player. so ya i'm interested to see how setting range affects kb DI on console. i didn't even know this was the case lol.

also would like to just clear up that it's not really harder to combo on kb. most kb players will have muscle memory for their combos once they get one started. it's spacing that's more difficult, which is probably more important than comboing anyways

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Nah, I can follow NORMAL di just fine. Just not when they literally fly out of a uair combo.

Seriously tho, i use a non n64 controller online and I realize ill have to adjust when i play on console, they shouldn't get to use kb. If that's the case we might as well just start playing tourneys on emulators so everyone can use the controller they want

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Damn son, don't you know Fridays are girlfriend/gumar days?
Why don't you sacrifice doing work so you can play smash and I can do work (ohh snap).
i'm newly single so my fridays are now free sliders at happy hour and lots of rum

how about we compromise

i bring a setup to your job and we play while you serve drinks and then i pick up a barfly?

kys

Smash Ace
i'm newly single so my fridays are now free sliders at happy hour and lots of rum

how about we compromise

i bring a setup to your job and we play while you serve drinks and then i pick up a barfly?
WAT you have a place that serves free sliders at happy hour???!!!???

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
yep. plus we live literally three doors down from the place.
walk in at 5.30, get a few rum and cokes or 7on7's and play darts and eat free sliders for two hours. but once it hits 11.30 pm, the frat douchebags with lots of plaid button downs and gelled hair and sororstitutes with bad personalities and annoying voices stampede in and turn the place into a cesspool.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Its fun to say SRAT LIFE, with srat being all one syllable. It makes it sound so hard knocks.

keyboards on console is one thing, but If irl tourney's start being played on emulators I won't be going to them anymore. Unless the consoles all die and its the only way to play the game.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
So kb players get their way but ppl who use ps2/xbox/gc controllers are screwed? I dont get how u can be for kb on console but against emulators to allow every type of controller user.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So kb players get their way but ppl who use ps2/xbox/gc controllers are screwed? I dont get how u can be for kb on console but against emulators to allow every type of controller user.
nova the adapter that cmu6eh is/has designed WILL allow all types of controllers to work on console. You plug the controller into a laptop (via usb most likely), the laptop has an adapter that runs to the console. So you can use whatever controller you want to. Emulator only tourneys would suck because emu's aren't as smooth as console.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Emu only tournaments would be bad and you all should feel bad, wut. They would not be fun. I can imagine them not being fun

Though I do think KB's are fine, as long as their config is as close to an n64 setting as possible

M!nt

Smash Champion
if the emulater is running on a good computer and there's no lag, what's the difference?

You could hook the computer to a tv, if you're talking about the screen size.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
i've played smash on good computers, but it always seems to be running just a bit off. Offline emu is pretty good, but its just not the same as console.

M!nt

Smash Champion
how can delay turn uptilts to upsmashes? It doesn't alter what you pressed lol.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
sounds like a LAGGY MONITOR problem there, cobr...huehuehue

monitors can have up to like 18ms of delay, that's over 1 frame LOL (1 frame in ssb is ~16.7 ms)

FOR 1v1's - CONSOLE >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Offline EMU
i think so because i have played both, when komo or combo 2 lazy to set up console, we play offline EMU and it's NOT THE SAME at all. it IS close though. we have raphnet, mayflash, and boom adapters to compare to console...and, NOPE. not the same.

FOR TEAMS - EMULATOR (only 1 greater than symbol cuz of OC's) > CONSOLE
for obvious reasons

overall, OC CONSOLE >>>>>>>> EMULATOR, its a 80-20 matchup, emu only gets positive 10 cuz controller variance and another 10 cuz it's BARELY better than OC in teams (hiderule x4 links spamming bombs). also ez gameshark setup, but that's just lazy, so +0 points.

CONSOLE 80 - EMULATOR 20

console wins this MU ez.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
@Nova: adapters for Xbox/ps3/GC controllers would be even easier to make than keyboard adapters and in fact:
http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_to_n64_adapter/index.php

That adapter supposedly has less than one frame of delay. Chain Ace uses it iirc, so you can ask him about it.

As far as the idea of emu tournaments, I would never drive to get to one, and hate the idea actually. I personally don't like the feel of emulator at all. I consistently drive 50-60 miles to play this game and prefer to do so than to play online in my home because it feels that much worse to me.
There is a lot to gain in game knowledge through online play, and it is a valuable resource for players and the community, but the tournament s that matter to me will always be console.

I will play this game on the Nintendo 64 console until there are none left functional or I am dead and will always play on an Analogue stick.
I would have no qualms with playing keyboard players but they will always have an asterisk in my mind.
I understand it takes skill to learn to play on a keyboard but it's not the same skill.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
well i'm very clearly not pressing an usmash on my controller....and yet it's registering my slightly pressed joystick as full blown. i dunno. my laptop is older but whateva.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I highly doubt that's the emulators fault. you must have range or deadzone set wrong.

and knitephox, you still didn't say whats different. I think you think it's different, but really not. you're just in the mind frame that it's an emulator and you're thinking its different because you think it should be .At least that's what i think, maybe not lol.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
That's your dead zone settings or something, definitely not a delay thing. Mess around with the input settings.

B Link

Smash Lord
I highly doubt that's the emulators fault. you must have range or deadzone set wrong.

and knitephox, you still didn't say whats different. I think you think it's different, but really not. you're just in the mind frame that it's an emulator and you're thinking its different because you think it should be .At least that's what i think, maybe not lol.
Response time is exactly the same on my laptop v. console. I think on emulator though you can play around with range and deadzone settings such that your stick sensitivity would differ from how it is on console.

You can tinker with your controller's sensitivity on console by playing around with its inside parts, however on emulator modifications can be made which are impossible to do on console.

I also don't think there are perfect settings to match console sensitivity - Yoshi tent jump is pretty good but I think it leaves out stuff.

Top Bottom