• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

malva00

Smash Master
I've tried lots of different nrage settings and none of them ever let me move my character with the joystick the same way I can on console.

NO THANKS

M!nt

Smash Champion
Aren't you one of those guys that goes on and on about it being fake smash. No surprise you're against everything about the idea.

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
It's not about what I define, it's about what is registered. And if you read a little bit the info about this game, you would know the maximum distance for everything (air acceleration, distance per DI input, maximum stick jump, etc) is reached by a range value of 80. 80 over what? 80 over 128, which makes 62.5%. So 60% is the actual max... (I think it's safe to assume the 2.5% do not affect to a visible extent).
Just tested the speeds the hands move at the character select screen. Making the controller move past the 60% range makes the hands move faster, so 60% isn't the max the game can register. Tomorrow I will test DI.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
WHO SAYS I'M ALWAYS USING SAMUS
IT HAPPENS WITH PIKA TOO
OFFLINE (on emu)

TOO DRUNK FOR THIS

bah, **** emulators

TANK64

Smash Lord
Aren't you one of those guys that goes on and on about it being fake smash. No surprise you're against everything about the idea.
Because it is fake BRO.

Aren't you the guy who says he's never played on console and don't ever want to. No surprise you can't tell the difference.

#NoCondomSmash #FeelEverything #SoNice

Sangoku

Smash Master
Just tested the speeds the hands move at the character select screen. Making the controller move past the 60% range makes the hands move faster, so 60% isn't the max the game can register. Tomorrow I will test DI.
If you're talking about a pixel of difference then whatever, it's totally not relevant. And check with 80/128 instead of 60% since it's actually 62.5%.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
i think that the difference is CRT vs Monitors.

my monitor and tv's that i have played emulator ssb on feel like there's delay vs console

basically console feels like 0ms delay where as emulator has not only controller delay but display delay because of the image processing monitors have to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_lag
"LCD screens with a high response-time value often do not give satisfactory experience when viewing fast-moving images (they often leave streaks or blur; called ghosting). But an LCD screen with both high response time and significant display lag is unsuitable for playing fast-paced computer games or performing fast high-accuracy operations on the screen, due to the mouse cursor lagging behind."

that's really all that can be explained with rationality beyond "it feels weird"

also i can do general movement and tech way easier on console

example: shine cancels. SUPER FREE on console but on emu i have to try a little bit to get the same speed

Sangoku

Smash Master
I can't find it because smashboards search option is pure bull****, but I remember there was a Toomai post mentioning the limit of 80 for x-acceleration.

Edit: okay, looks like you misunderstood something. I'm not saying 63% is the theoretical max for the n64 to register. It's the max for ssb64 ingame range. The hand indeed moves faster with higher range, but x-acceleration, stick jump and DI distance is max at 63%.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Because it is fake BRO.

Aren't you the guy who says he's never played on console and don't ever want to. No surprise you can't tell the difference.

#NoCondomSmash #FeelEverything #SoNice
Post of the year, yes I'm calling it in April

Also, if you watch emu fps its not like it is constantly EXACTLY 60 fps no matter what computer you use. The value will change quite frequently, though "no lag" means it won't change by much. I'm sure the console also is not an EXACT 60 fps, but I'm thinking console has less fluctuation maybe and that's why it feels smoother?

B Link

Smash Lord
I don't think cmu6eh is coming so don't worry, prisonchild. Ybombb, *** vwls, unreal, some other good console players, and I will likely attend.

In other news, I don't notice any difference in response times with offline emulator vs console. I turned them on and watched the screens side by side. I then pressed the c button on two controllers at the same time and they jumped at the same time.

It would be cool if cmu6eh could test this by plugging in 1 controller to both console and emulator (I don't think this is possible but who knows?)

The only difference is sensitivity. Unless you have some WEIRD monitor issues I am unaware of.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
In other news, I don't notice any difference in response times with offline emulator vs console. I turned them on and watched the screens side by side. I then pressed the c button on two controllers at the same time and they jumped at the same time.
did you only do this once? can't really get an accurate reading if so. you should probably do it for about a minute straight, cuz of the fluctuating fps. may've just caught the emulator on a good run, but in the next five seconds it could have jumped down to 40 and then back up.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Post of the year, yes I'm calling it in April

Also, if you watch emu fps its not like it is constantly EXACTLY 60 fps no matter what computer you use. The value will change quite frequently, though "no lag" means it won't change by much. I'm sure the console also is not an EXACT 60 fps, but I'm thinking console has less fluctuation maybe and that's why it feels smoother?
Again what emulator were you using? Have you tried mupen64plus? what adapter? Unless you have tried all these different variables, stop saying stuff like it's fact.

How is that post of the year, me not playing console doesn't mean anything because I'm not saying they are the same(because I don't know) I'm just talking about how you guys are just throwing out that you know for certain that it's different, does that make sense? lol

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So you're telling me that in Mupen, when you look at the fps it always reads 60.00? I'm not talking about dropping to 40 fps, I'm talking about the visible fluctuation from like 59.85 to 60.1 and back and forth like that. Again I have no idea how smooth console is compared to that, but I was merely suggesting that it could be the cause of the different feel that a large number of players have described. Just for you I'll revise my statement: I know of no emu/cpu combination that runs at EXACTLY 60.00 fps.

the end part of it was post of the year BRO. #NoCondomSmash rofl. The part about you almost cost it post of the year status since it mentioned you. #GETATMESON

Sangoku

Smash Master
What are you talking about? If it's the hitbox mode, yeah it appears the Japanese have freely access to it. Don't you remember Frame Display? Check out that video on the same channel.

M!nt

Smash Champion
So you're telling me that in Mupen, when you look at the fps it always reads 60.00? I'm not talking about dropping to 40 fps, I'm talking about the visible fluctuation from like 59.85 to 60.1 and back and forth like that. Again I have no idea how smooth console is compared to that, but I was merely suggesting that it could be the cause of the different feel that a large number of players have described. Just for you I'll revise my statement: I know of no emu/cpu combination that runs at EXACTLY 60.00 fps.
So you don't know of any emulators that run at 60(I doubt you've even looked) and you don't know if the console runs at 60. good post, really informative.

Last edited:

clubbadubba

Smash Master
My bad, thought we were just joking around. didn't mean to offend

No I don't know if the console is smoother (closer to constant 60 fps). I'm just noting another potential difference between console/emulator, since people have been discussing what might cause the different feel. Not meant to be informative, just to suggest something that someone cooler than me might investigate and make an informative post about it.

M!nt

Smash Champion
Oh I'm sorry :C I didn't know you were just joking. Okay I understand c:

B Link

Smash Lord
So today I played some console friendlies with Vwls and his friend.

Consequently, I think **** DI is the best, as long as you take out your start button. Makes it a lot easier to get out of jiggly dair, falcon combos etc.

The only time I don't do it is when I'm feeling lazy

kys

Smash Ace
So today I played some console friendlies with Vwls and his friend.

Consequently, I think **** DI is the best, as long as you take out your start button. Makes it a lot easier to get out of jiggly dair, falcon combos etc.

The only time I don't do it is when I'm feeling lazy
Why would you take out your start button? It's way better than DI for breaking out of combos.

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^lol xD

yo but FOR REAL

Talyor Swift concert was the bomb diggity.

JUST got back.

Like I can't even put it into words.

Oh and Ed Sheeran's set before her was godly also :)

<333

B Link

Smash Lord
Banze is streaming his Brazilian tourney tomorrow: http://smashboards.com/threads/braz...nal-form-april-14th-2013-sÃo-paulo-sp.334813/

B Link are you and the other Toronto players in the ECSSB group yet?
http://www.facebook.com/groups/134497873392355/?fref=ts
What's it for? Just meeting players?

^^lol xD

yo but FOR REAL

JUST got back.

<333
What a dedicated SWIFT FAN

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^^lol xD

yo but FOR REAL

JUST got back.

<333
duuuuuuuuude i'm so pumped I'm going next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i knew it was gonna be good but its great to hear it was sick. can't ****ing wait!!!!

Nintendude

Smash Hero
What's it for? Just meeting players?
Finding players, organizing smashfests, and just growing the scene in general. It's a lot easier to recruit new players when there's a centralized facebook location for everyone to keep in touch, especially because you can't expect newcomers to have smashboards accounts.

TANK64

Smash Lord
duuuuuuuuude i'm so pumped I'm going next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i knew it was gonna be good but its great to hear it was sick. can't ****ing wait!!!!
Dude def. Not even hyping. But it'll be amazing =D

Finding players, organizing smashfests, and just growing the scene in general. It's a lot easier to recruit new players when there's a centralized facebook location for everyone to keep in touch, especially because you can't expect newcomers to have smashboards accounts.
^^This
Totally agree.

Top Bottom