• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Any of you guys listen to James Blake?
Saw James Blake live a few years back, it was a pretty awesome performance

I've only listened to his self titled album though, I'll have to check out his new one

@Battlecattle, it's 2013 m8 odd future isn't relevant anymore

Also, I have been listening to a number of things I downloaded a long time ago but never got around to listening

This is the last song I've listened to in doing so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouJ-iE5Q2TY

Battlecow

Play to Win
-sheer posts something from 1980

-Earl's dated

I'll be linking that **** in 2040 ma dood. Doris is about to come out and everything. Kid's just getting started.

3rd-4th greatest lyricist of all time

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
3rd-4th greatest lyricist? kind of hard to pinpoint that when he's only had one mixtape. There are a lot of rappers, even some out today that are much more established lyricists than Earl.

Earl is one of the only OF members (besides Frank Ocean and Domo) that I can still get into since he doesn't really clog his music (as of late) with shoehorned edginess much like Tyler or Mellowhype.

I hope Doris is good but I don't really have high hopes for it

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yo Sheer I played Wizzy, a few weeks ago and he was already sooooo much better.

I told y'all!

Too bad he'll still be 3rd best Yoshi in FL ;)

But seriously, peeps who aren't FL don't know how natural that kid is. He's already better than most xD.

Also, I love how you guys get together and don't call me knowing I want to play >_________>

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Earl is one of the only OF members (besides Frank Ocean and Domo) that I can still get into since he doesn't really clog his music (as of late) with shoehorned edginess much like Tyler or Mellowhype.
The edginess of Tyler and Mellohype does feel really forced.

The novelty value of OF has really run its course, Earl is gonna have to really put out something great for the collective to remain relevant. Earl is certainly capable, but he would be better without the rest of those guys.

Best track featuring Earl since his return: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FS35SshVxQ

On a completely musically unrelated note this song is great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbM0FavjNo8 (1080p recommended)

clubbadubba

Smash Master
friendlies and MM/tourney matches are different things. Try to guess which one you measure skill in.

I love riddles.
You just don't play sheer ever so you can't understand the EZness that is yoshi

And @weedwack, I deny everything

Battlecow

Play to Win
OF's novelty might have worn off but Earl was never just a shock value rapper. He does only have one album and you're right, he's not established; but when you have one of the greatest lyrical accomplishments in history as your first effort, you're not "washed up" a couple months before the release fo your second.

I didn't really like Wolf (neither did tyler lol) and domo/mellowhype/most of the rest of them have never been that appealing to me, but just from a technical standpoint you can't deny that Earl deserves to have Doris heard and scrutinized.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
Earl has some technical ability but it doesn't really hold a torch next to anyone from Hieroglyphics, Yelawolf, Big L, Eminem, GZA, Raekwon, Ghostface Killa, Kanye, RZA, Jay-Z, Killer Mike, Nas, Masta Ace, DOOM, Big Boi, Andre 3000, Kendrick Lamar, Busdriver, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Guru, Frankenstein . , etc

also, been listening to this and trying to learn it on piano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfYl6_f2Mdg

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Earl has some technical ability but it doesn't really hold a torch next to anyone from Hieroglyphics, Yelawolf, Big L, Eminem, GZA, Raekwon, Ghostface Killa, Kanye, RZA, Jay-Z, Killer Mike, Nas, Masta Ace, DOOM, Big Boi, Andre 3000, Kendrick Lamar, Busdriver, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Guru, Frankenstein . , etc

also, been listening to this and trying to learn it on piano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfYl6_f2Mdg
Kool Keith is the best rapper that there ever was and the best rapper that there ever will be.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J6VXuEVmio

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
but when you have one of the greatest lyrical accomplishments in history as your first effort,
what

also black thought and the other dude - questlove? from the roots. heard a lot of good things about common, fab, monche and clipze, too. gonna give them a listen soon.

have you ever listened to Blu? 2005's Below the Heavens is probably my most favorite hip hop album ever.

i'm also always repping joe budden. people sleep on him or outright diss him. had a roommate once who disregarded everything he ever did and then bumped ****ing atmosphere and j5. like, **** off.

also, atothez - scooby as your avatar is the best thing ever

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
i'm also always repping joe budden
I haven't heard of any of Joe Budden's stuff, and I've been meaning to get around to the Roots.

also black thought and the other dude - questlove? from the roots. heard a lot of good things about common, fab, monche and clipze, too. gonna give them a listen soon.

have you ever listened to Blu? 2005's Below the Heavens is probably my most favorite hip hop album ever.
I have listened to Blu & Exile though, below the heavens is pretty darn good. I haven't listened to it in a while, but I'm going to give it some more plays tomorrow. I've also heard of couple of Clipse's albums, Pusha-T and Malice seem like they are on another level on some of their songs to be honest.

also, atothez - scooby as your avatar is the best thing ever
Thanks man, he's my favorite youtube personality

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
mood muzik 4 really amped me up on him. the newest one is good but just a bit too different for me. when you put weezy and french on an album...meh.

i don't know any instrumental hip hop at all

Battlecow

Play to Win
Lol yeah the 64 section is all about below the heavens (all ballin' talked about forever ago). Great freakin album.

AtotheZ you're doing that obnoxious thing that self-proclaimed "experts" do where in response to a claim they simply list 900 artists. You're really gonna put kanye west on a list of the most technical rappers. Really. Jay-Z? You're serious? Nas? Illmatic is the crown jewel of hip hop, but calling it a technical masterpiece makes me wonder if you even know what technical means. I love the WTC with all my heart but you can't say that either of the ZA's have a claim on the title with a straight face.

Mos Def/Eminem/MF DOOM do belong on that list, and I'm not intimately familiar with the work of, for instance, Yelawolf or busdriver, but keep in mind that I wasn't saying Earl was the most technical MC of all time, merely that his sophomore album deserved a listen on the strength of Earl's and Kitchen Cutlery's technicality. Dat assonance.

Not trying to portray myself as any kind of authority, but saying that Tyler & co's antics invalidate Earl's unquestionable and meteoric talent is like saying that Flava of Love puts the lie to It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
how are you judging technical? if an album has crisp production and is extremely musical and the rapper has a heightened sense of lyricism and a unique flow?

also steve: IT AIN'T ABOUT THE SKIN IT'S ABOUT THE VOICE

plus i'm from elizabeth.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Hate where this thread is right now..

Three things..
1)So who's playing smash with me on Saturday??
2) who wants to take a trip to Japan within the next five years and go to their national smash 64 tourney (im ****ing serious, so if you aren't, you need not apply.) King funk's blog got me hyped to go there, so if you want in, start saving that coin.
3) speaking of saving coin.. Engagement ring.. FML

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Thanks man! Couple more months before she's my fiancé, but yeah she'll definitely be coming with- she loves traveling. Unfortunately she loathes video games :/
But she accepts that smash is an important part of my life so that's good enough for me

M!nt

Smash Champion
I wouldn't say smash is an important part of my life........do I belong here? ; __ ;

also rap is awful

M!nt

Smash Champion
ehh not really, I just like helping noobs that come on here most of all. I probably play 3x as much as you as well lol, but it's just a fun thing to do. it's like watching tv to me. Fun, but it's not an important part of my life.

Top Bottom