• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
FML cause its scary as **** to think about engagement, marriage, life etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about it, but it's still a big step and makes me nervous as ****.

Mint, I get what you're saying..
For me, I enjoy a lot of different forms of friendly competition, and as far as video games go, this one is my favorite. I would rather play basketball most times, but playing smash won't cause me to dislocate my elbow, sprain an ankle, or herniate a disc my back.

You guys are probably all in that stage of life where you think your body is invincible, so if you do play sports, enjoy them now because having to play more laid back to prevent injury comes at a much younger age than you'd think, and it sucks!
Anyway smash will be a competitive activity I can enjoy until my hands don't work..

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I can just imagine 20-30 USA players hopping on an airplane to Japan, spending a week sleeping on hotel room floors, and partaking in the biggest smash 64 tourney of all time.

That would be better than apex.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Recently got into this game and it's fantastic, I had always underestimated how good it is. In fact I am hosting a 64 side-event in this weekends tournament and try to get as many people to play it as well.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
If I had the money I'd go to Japan. Just to play all of them though, wouldn't care much about the tourney. Their tourneys are awful, who wants to play in a best of 1 single elim ssb64 tourney lol? I really can't even begin to imagine why they use that format.

But yah just playing friendlies with all of them would be worth it. I'm mad jealous of King Funk, Olikus, and Isai for getting to experience the Japanese scene

clubbadubba

Smash Master
First off, congrats jimmyjoe!

Second off, you haven't asked her yet but you're telling us about it on smashboards?!?!?! What if she starts browsing smashboard's one day because she wants to see what its all about? The surprise would be RUINED!

I would go to japan with you. I'll bring my gf/whatever she is at that point and we can watch them flail around against each other in smash. It'll be great.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I want to go to Japan too! I wouldn't be going exclusively for Smash though. I'd rather just plan a normal vacation that just happens to overlap with their national tournament.

LzR, good to hear you are hosting smash 64 events! Maybe Europe can get more of a scene going for the game.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
also rap is awful
i always wonder if people who think like this just blatantly ignore the incredible amount of skill rappers have or are just closed minded

jimmyjoe i thought you didn't work on FRIDAYS. cuz we tryna play in new brunswick

i'll have sore arm tattoo johns though

but really, congratulations on the pre-engagement

M!nt

Smash Champion
I'm closed-minded because I don't like a genre of music?

but, yeah rap is pretty much the worst c:

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
AtotheZ you're doing that obnoxious thing that self-proclaimed "experts" do where in response to a claim they simply list 900 artists. You're really gonna put kanye west on a list of the most technical rappers. Really. Jay-Z? You're serious? Nas? Illmatic is the crown jewel of hip hop, but calling it a technical masterpiece makes me wonder if you even know what technical means. I love the WTC with all my heart but you can't say that either of the ZA's have a claim on the title with a straight face.

Mos Def/Eminem/MF DOOM do belong on that list, and I'm not intimately familiar with the work of, for instance, Yelawolf or busdriver, but keep in mind that I wasn't saying Earl was the most technical MC of all time, merely that his sophomore album deserved a listen on the strength of Earl's and Kitchen Cutlery's technicality. Dat assonance.

Not trying to portray myself as any kind of authority, but saying that Tyler & co's antics invalidate Earl's unquestionable and meteoric talent is like saying that Flava of Love puts the lie to It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
I didn't say they were the most technical, just better lyricists than Earl, who you claimed to be the 3rd or 4th best. I disagreed, so I put more than 2 or 3 artists that are more technical. Funny as you're writing off Jay-Z, Nas, and Kanye. Sure, they each have their setbacks as artists but they've been around awhile for good reason. And you call Illmatic the crown jewel of hip hop, but say that this isn't technical?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI-DRbf_AZk

Jay-Z has done far better than Earl on Reasonable Doubt, American Gangster, and the Blueprint

Kanye has very strong lyrics on Late Registration and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

GZA not one of the most technical from the WTC? Have you listened to Liquid Swords?

Either way, I'm gonna give Doris a few spins when it releases.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFYvDcjThI8

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
No mention of College Dropout? Jesus Walks is one of my favorite Kanye songs.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
I love College Dropout, he's got so much spirit on that album, but then again I dig just about all of his work. To me, LR and MBDTF edge it out just a bit for me.

#HBC | ѕoup

I love College Dropout, he's got so much spirit on that album, but then again I dig just about all of his work. To me, LR and MBDTF edge it out just a bit for me.
People have their opinions, I don't dislike any of the Kanye albums. I think people give 808s and Heartbreak gets more hate than it deserves. I genuinely enjoy it and even if it's not explicitly true to his older work I think he pulls off his message very well. Say You Will is ****ing heartbreaking, not to mention the beat is also great.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
I'm closed-minded because I don't like a genre of music?

but, yeah rap is pretty much the worst c:
there's a difference between saying you don't enjoy something and calling something awful...

there are multiple genres i hate - growly death metal, EDM, pop punk - but i mean, at least most of the people have some sort of talent and can make music that appeals to certain groups of listeners.

but if you really want to make a case for something being awful, at least analyze it and construct an argument. sort of like why i think t mills is a talentless kid - he has never written an innovative rhyme or said anything that made me go "ooh". he appears to be uncomfortable or uncertain with his voice and thus abuses the autotuning in production. to top it all off, it really seems like he's just marketing an image - that punk kids or scenesters can rap and enjoy rap too without sacrificing their gauges, bullrings and sleeve tattoos.

so yeah, i think people are closed minded if they equate their displeasure with something's actual quality.

808s and Heartbreak more hate than it deserves
this is the only kanye album i enjoyed. he usually just irritates me haha

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Figures just as I mention the concert that I find out that Nassau Colisseum CANCELED THEIR CONCERT AND DIDNT TELL ME WTF????

Oh well, maybe can be good. Trying to make emergency last minute plans to see them on Friday instead and this means I'd be able to go to BHB most likely.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Thanks for the congrats guys,
Obviously a trip to Japan should be more than just smash, there's so much to see and do and learn about their culture that we could do together if anyone wanted to plan a trip. I like most of you guys I've met IRL so it could be a cool ****ing trip with the right crew. Plus if we plan it a few years ahead of time people will be out of college, working, and maybe in a better financial position to allow themselves to make the trip.

I actually have no idea when they hold these tournaments but it would be best to plan the trip to overlap that. I want to see the spectacle, plus all of Japan's best players would be around to play friendlies with us.

If we brought wives/girlfriends I'm sure they wouldn't mind us playing a little smash, and they could keep eachother company... Or flail around like noobs together... Or get 5 stocked by isai's GF..

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I used to be pretty into rap. I had all of his albums up to the point I stopped listening to rap consistently, and I've never considered Kanye a lyricist...

Also, I never considered rappers to be "talented." I think it mainly just requires knowledge of the language, effort, and the will to put the time in to make "quality" rap. But then again, this is coming from the guy who doesn't think writing poetry requires talent either.

Btw, what did people here think of Little Brother. I love that stuff, though I only listened to the first 2 albums.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Also, I never considered rappers to be "talented." I think it mainly just requires knowledge of the language, effort, and the will to put the time in to make "quality" rap. But then again, this is coming from the guy who doesn't think writing poetry requires talent either.
statements like these make my english major soul ache

Froski

Boss of Bosses
Only rappers i used to listen to was common, flypside and Se7en the Poet, meet that guy face to face when we gave some pep talk to local high school kids. The rest of these brain hemorrhaging wannabe poets are not worth mentioning. Other than that, I hate rap entirely. (Black guy hating rap? Must be a paradox!)

INB4 someone mentions lil b

AtotheZ

Smash Lord

#HBC | ѕoup

i find it easier to initiate a fast-fall with the sick and then input a uair with R instead of A

works for me

edit: im pretty good with z-canceling timing but am i the only who just mashes sometimes, perhaps just on muscle memory?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
^^Try it with pikachu, I bet you'll never miss a z-cancel
Z-canceling is not a problem, it's the fact that it's hard to fastfall and immediately slam the stick up fast but so you won't jump. Haven't gotten to the Zcanceling part yet.

#HBC | ѕoup

learn to lightly tap it, it's not really about slamming it up immediately based on my experiences

#HBC | ѕoup

honestly i dont know frame specific strategies but if we're talking like ff uairing with falcon i initially go

stick jump > fast fall > begin to tap stick lightly > r > cancel

try doing it a bit more later, because i was having the same problem too for a long time

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
Hate where this thread is right now..

Three things..
1)So who's playing smash with me on Saturday??
2) who wants to take a trip to Japan within the next five years and go to their national smash 64 tourney (im ****ing serious, so if you aren't, you need not apply.) King funk's blog got me hyped to go there, so if you want in, start saving that coin.
3) speaking of saving coin.. Engagement ring.. FML
1) Maybe
2) Sure
3) LOL You might have to forgo number 2 for this.

The Star King

Smash Hero
there's a difference between saying you don't enjoy something and calling something awful...

there are multiple genres i hate - growly death metal, EDM, pop punk - but i mean, at least most of the people have some sort of talent and can make music that appeals to certain groups of listeners.

but if you really want to make a case for something being awful, at least analyze it and construct an argument. sort of like why i think t mills is a talentless kid - he has never written an innovative rhyme or said anything that made me go "ooh". he appears to be uncomfortable or uncertain with his voice and thus abuses the autotuning in production. to top it all off, it really seems like he's just marketing an image - that punk kids or scenesters can rap and enjoy rap too without sacrificing their gauges, bullrings and sleeve tattoos.

so yeah, i think people are closed minded if they equate their displeasure with something's actual quality.
OK, I agree 200% with what you're saying - in fact, as far as I can tell from this post you're my soulmate - I'm surprised you have the will for fighting this battle. Because 95% of people talk the way you're disparaging, and I've resigned to this fact a long time ago. I don't have your strength ;)

Anyways, when most people say a music genre is "awful" it's understood to be their opinion. So it's not really close-minded, just another way of saying "I don't enjoy it". So I guess I don't actually "agree 200%" always - only when someone actually believes that music is an objective thing. Which, believe it or not, some people believe, as an outrageous someoneshowed in the 64 boards a few years ago *ahem*

So yeah, Mint could have just basically meant "I don't enjoy it". That's how most people talk.

jimmyjoe

Filthy Hori
Premium
Wait cobr are you definitely playing Friday night not sat?
I made friday date night plans with the GF, but i took off all weekend :)
If CMU comes down, maybe him, sensei, myself, and a buddy or two would be down to swing to Rutgers.
@steve- Either way if you wanna come down we can def play Saturday night and then gots BHB on Sunday in Brooklyn

M!nt

Smash Champion
OK, I agree 200% with what you're saying - in fact, as far as I can tell from this post you're my soulmate - I'm surprised you have the will for fighting this battle. Because 95% of people talk the way you're disparaging, and I've resigned to this fact a long time ago. I don't have your strength ;)
I thought we were bffs/soulmates. wtf is this? I'll ****ing cut you.

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
well nintendude is no longer stopping through on friday and sensei had already said 'possibly', so i guess i'll forgo it and go bowling and see everyone on sunday? that way i won't have to activate sore arm tattoo johns preemptively

i can't play saturday at all, we're throwing a party and i won't be coherent enough to hold a controller

Anyways, when most people say a music genre is "awful" it's understood to be their opinion. So it's not really close-minded, just another way of saying "I don't enjoy it". So I guess I don't actually "agree 200%" always - only when someone actually believes that music is an objective thing. Which, believe it or not, some people believe, as an outrageous someoneshowed in the 64 boards a few years ago *ahem*

So yeah, Mint could have just basically meant "I don't enjoy it". That's how most people talk.
i usually ask people what they mean. one time RHCP came on the radio and my ex said, "god what is this bad 90s hour? the chili peppers are terrible" and i replied "so you're gonna tell me you think flea and frusciante are bad at their instruments and can't groove?" and she retorted "yeah, they aren't good at all"

but i get it. i would just prefer people use the subjective. SHRUG

Top Bottom