• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

TANK64

Smash Lord
@SK, lol Yea, you don't xD
Don't worry I'll make sure the gifs live on/keep my online tag.
Speaking of which, me and Taylor finally got a picture together :D . I'll post it soon.

Paint, hmm. If I did that I'd probably do something I've made in Illustrator.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Sailor Mercury is eh. Conker's been done by a few people on this forum (*** vwls, for one). Don't know what TekkonKinkreet is (don't hurt me), but I looked it up and he didn't look very... visually appealing. I'm a sucker for aesthetics, sue me. Nagato, maybe, I was not a big fan of the character when I watched that show (but her pwning the computer club with her l33t haxor skills was pretty awesome). IDK dude, 'nother Taylor Swift pic is the best option I can think of. You can post some candidates and we can VOTE :D (probably not)

Just realized Nagato is a lot like Patchouli... Purple-haired emotionless bookworm with surprising battle prowess. Holy ****.

TANK with mug

TANK64

Smash Lord
Nagato is the best <333333 :D
*cough* tries not to be creepy.
Ruined that years ago lol

@aa, lol I COULDN'T.

It's lookin' like a Sailor Mercury era hmm... I'll give it time. Make sure all the VOTES are in.

EDIT: @SK, you know a boss never stays in final form ;)

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
nagato is overrated

maybe i just get pissed off by all the moe-lovers i meet

aa's suggestion of katanashi-kun is ok

i'd draw a picture of taytay in paint and use that

The Star King

Smash Hero
Nagato is moe? Mikuru is the obvious moe character... maybe I'm misunderstanding the term.

If we're voting I'd rather see Nagato than Sailor Mercury so yeah that's my vote. Alternate Taylor Swift > Nagato > Sailor Mercury

TANK64

Smash Lord
@SK, no you're right. I guess she's a cult classic moe? lol
Damn this is like the second year I've brushed her off. Maybe LATER then, since everyone is meh about it.

@Ciaza, As a male character, I would have to relate to him. So that doesn't work :/ .

Damn this song is sad, but I can't stop listening to it. /wrist
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyW9jpsxJvs
Guess I should be happy all this good music is coming out.

Back on topic, what should I do, FUUArk!

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
**** off aa you spent half a year explaining to me why 3 year year old hina was somehow better than miu

everyone in tmohs is ****ing moe its as bad as lucky star as far as i'm concerned >:[

Battlecow

Play to Win
Star wars is the movies. IV-V-VI IMO, but if you wanna put the prequels in that's your prerogative. Y'all can jerk off to books written by 29 different hacks making minimum wage if you want, but saying that's canon is kinda laughable

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Also, Sailor Moon was better than DBZ.
I've never watched sailor moon but DBZ is like the most overrated thing of all time.

Star wars is the movies. IV-V-VI IMO, but if you wanna put the prequels in that's your prerogative. Y'all can jerk off to books written by 29 different hacks making minimum wage if you want, but saying that's canon is kinda laughable
I just realized that our discussion about FREAKIN star wars episode 7 coming out got hijacked within 30 minutes by anime discussion WTF

The Star King

Smash Hero
It wasn't anime discussion though, it was what-should-TANK's-new-avatar be... that got some anime discussion snuck into it. Social thread, away!

Also I am wary of the new Star Wars movies being crap so yeah not gonna be too excited/interested.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I honestly don't see how they could ruin in anymore. I think it might be good. But lol @ it going on forever, that would be wack as ****.

Ta-Dah!

Not sure if I'm happy with that resolusion >:-[

Dear God, how big can I make these sigs... (O)___o

EDIT: ahh nice, .PNG is soooo much better.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
any addition to star wars now will suck

ill just be over here playing battlefront 2

anime discussion incoming, ignore if you aren't interested

**** off aa you spent half a year explaining to me why 3 year year old hina was somehow better than miu

everyone in tmohs is ****ing moe its as bad as lucky star as far as i'm concerned >:[
that means nothing since miu is probably like 1.2m tall as well, plus i kept saying miu was bad, not that hina was great

sora was the best, or airhead girl

and haruhi is the most obnoxious idiotic character, kyon was the only reason that show was anything

anime discussion over

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Pffffft...Krynxe we all know deep deep inside your a weeaboo....so stop denying it and embrace dat **** :3

The Star King

Smash Hero
You must be new here because it's very out in the open. Krynxe definitely isn't in denial.

Also ironic because IIRC you implied denial of being a weeaboo in stream chat :laugh:

kys

Smash Ace
I agree, especially because Lucas completely changed Boba Fett's origin story for the prequels.

But you do know that those books were approved by Lucas, right?

And some of those books are actually good. Like, take away the obvious Star Wars and sci-fi elements, and peeps who can appreciate good characters and good plots would read them.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Sure, but regardless of how good or bad they are, it seems odd to include that many different creative minds working that independently in a single continuity. I mean I don't fault people for reading them, but I don't feel like they're part of a "complete" star wars.

Эикельманн [РУС]

Banned via Administration
the novelisation of the films are all worth reading, i think.

the films of 1-3, though, are pretty meh.

i doubt that the people at disney, and even lucasfilm, would be able to capture the essence of the EU in a film unless they enlisted the help of various authors/artists that have worked on whatever titles that they'd want to emulate as a film.

ie: drew karpyshyn is hired to help disney/lucasfilm make the darth bane trilogy movie series.

would be pretty amazing imo, and also very profitable.

also it'd be near impossible to do anything from the new jedi order because all of the actors are old and look nothing like how they look in that time era, so i really think old republic is the best way to go.

charlie, i think you underestimate how huge/vast star wars really is. the movies don't even touch down on 5% of it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm well aware of how vast the universe is. Do you have any idea how gigantic the world of Lord of the rings really is? Christopher tolkien blah blah blah lays of beleriand blah blah blah, but the fact of the matter is that regardless of "officially authorized" sequels, everyone knows there's one book for peter pan, a few books for LoTR, one movie for everything disney's ever done, and three (possibly six) movies for star wars.

The movies are going to be a sequel trilogy, just like lucas planned from the beginning. More prequels would be silly.

kys

Smash Ace
I get what you're saying, I'm just pointing out that there's a lot of material under the Lucas license for Disney to work with. Material that's actually good and can hopefully be used in one way or another. As a big fan, there's reason to hope that this development might actually be a positive one.

But if it's not, I'll keep watching IV, V, and VI while plugging my ears and drowning out the rest of those sad, disappointing movies.

On that note, the prequels could have been amazing if there were better actors and a MUCH better script. So dam cheesy and amateurish. Ugh.

Battlecow

Play to Win
lol, so the only stuff that counts as real star wars by you is stuff that lucas has personally thought up?
Nah. To be honest, I probably wouldn't consider a book written by lucas canon either. The movies have their own gigantic dent in the american zeitgeist and the books just are not part of that, not part of the whole star wars phenomenon. They're read by a little community of people and that's cool, but they might as well be fanfiction as far as I'm concerned; the difference between being part of the story and not has nothing to do with any sort of official seal.

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
You must be new here because it's very out in the open. Krynxe definitely isn't in denial.

Also ironic because IIRC you implied denial of being a weeaboo in stream chat :laugh:
lol Wut? :laugh: You remembered that wrong bro
I said you were a weeaboo in a denial in stream chat, beecause you and "aa" knew what "tsundere"was (if I spelt that right) along with these other words. And then you responded to me saying "step up your game Izuhu". I didn't even know wtf "moe" was too and had to look that up lol

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Controversial post, read at your own risk:

Star Wars 1-3 are more fun to watch than Star Wars 4-6. 4-6 is pretty campy imo (mostly because of the time it was made), and I don't think the story is good enough to keep me super entertained. Yea Han Solo has some badass moments, and every time I'm driving somewhere with my GPS but then realize I know where I am so I turn off the GPS and imagine someone somewhere saying "Clubba, you switched off your targeting computer!", but overall I don't get much enjoyment out of watching them.

1-3 have bad enough acting to be entertaining, and the action scenes are objectively better due to special effects and MUCH better fighting choreography. Now, if you ask me which is the better set of movies, its 4-6, but if I had to choose which trilogy to watch, 8/10 times I'd pick 1-3.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I don't agree

And to me, the fandom/culture surrounding star wars can be just as important as the thing itself. So watching the original three with friends and making jokes and **** would be fun even if the movies sucked

but they're great so...

asianaussie

Smash Hero
watching the original three with friends and making jokes about 1-3 is pretty rad

are the second and third matrix movies worth watching, idk if i can be bothered if they're gonna be mediocre

clubbadubba

Smash Master
people *****ed about them, but I thought they were good. They don't compare to the 1st one but what do you expect? The first one is based off of Plato's Allegory of the Cave, the other 2 were written by hollywood writers. I enjoyed them though

Battlecow

Play to Win
If we're going in on unclothed cultural emperors here, Plato's allegory of the cave ****ing sucks. Just sayin'.

The Star King

Smash Hero
lol Wut? :laugh: You remembered that wrong bro
I said you were a weeaboo in a denial in stream chat, beecause you and "aa" knew what "tsundere"was (if I spelt that right) along with these other words. And then you responded to me saying "step up your game Izuhu".
I remember that. I ain't remembering wrong brah. I said you were a weeaboo and you said "wut", which I interpreted as "wut r u talking about no i'm not". Or something like that. IDK.

I didn't even know wtf "moe" was too and had to look that up lol
It's okay because judging by his usage of the term ciaza has no idea what it means either.

Controversial post, read at your own risk:

Star Wars 1-3 are more fun to watch than Star Wars 4-6. 4-6 is pretty campy imo (mostly because of the time it was made), and I don't think the story is good enough to keep me super entertained. Yea Han Solo has some badass moments, and every time I'm driving somewhere with my GPS but then realize I know where I am so I turn off the GPS and imagine someone somewhere saying "Clubba, you switched off your targeting computer!", but overall I don't get much enjoyment out of watching them.

1-3 have bad enough acting to be entertaining, and the action scenes are objectively better due to special effects and MUCH better fighting choreography. Now, if you ask me which is the better set of movies, its 4-6, but if I had to choose which trilogy to watch, 8/10 times I'd pick 1-3.
yeaboi

A fellow blasphemer is always nice to see.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
more anime **** incoming, maybe general interest if you want to laugh at japan and weeaboos

moe = consisting of traits that can be considered endearing or 'omg kawaii uguu desu', recently it extended to a whole bunch of pointless **** like being crippled or having eyepatches (****ing japan)

as to ciaza's usage of the term, its not really wrong, most of the haruhi characters are 'special' in some way, not including the
alien/esper/whatever the hell they were

haruhi is a *****, which might be endearing idk, also fulfills the 'genki' (energetic) archetype
mikuru or w/e her name is happens to be overly vulnerable and is obviously stacked, which is probably moe
nagato is the quiet librarian archetype, fundamental moe
kyon is the only good character, sarcasm is clearly moe
i forgot what the other guy's name is, but he's probably moe in some way too since he has his own character theme and stuff...oh yeah and his voice actor is pretty cool iirc

long story short, ciaza thinks all of the above traits are attractive, and i have to conclude he's bisexual

anime **** over

The Star King

Smash Hero
Totally copying that format. Down to the color.

anime **** incoming

So anime fans did to the term what Smashboards did to "mindgames"? Good to know.

The term I always got was that it refers the type of character (or attraction to) who is, uh, perfect, nice, and innocent. Mikuru is a good example (pointed out by Haruhi herself when she recruited Mikuru). But according to some searching on Google, it has recently extended to character archetypes (or attraction to) in general. Dafuq. But if this is the case then that means nearly any anime character could be called moe (as you demonstrated), so complaining about a bunch of characters being moe doesn't make sense under this definition. So I still take issue with ciaza saying all TMOHS characters are moe one way or the other.

Also talking about that show reminds me that I gotta get around to watching that recent movie from the show that apparently was really good. Will be the first time I watch anime in like 3 years.

anime **** over

asianaussie

Smash Hero
anime desu

i think he meant the characters were too orchestrated and archetypal...which i dont necessarily agree with...he might've been using it wrong iunno, especially cuz lucky star isn't much of a comparison

i guess nagato is basically the quiet glasses-girl stereotype incarnate and mikuru is essentially an exemplary attractive airhead

so from this we have discerned tanklin likes the smart, quiet book-girl archetype, probably with glasses

blah blah

Top Bottom