• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
Your warning had "desu" in it

I wasn't ready for that

Make sure your warnings have a warning from now on :glare:

lols

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I agree, especially because Lucas completely changed Boba Fett's origin story for the prequels.

But you do know that those books were approved by Lucas, right?

And some of those books are actually good. Like, take away the obvious Star Wars and sci-fi elements, and peeps who can appreciate good characters and good plots would read them.
The books weren't really approved by Lucas - he always said that the story of Star Wars ended with Episode 6 and Anakin dying.

Controversial post, read at your own risk:

Star Wars 1-3 are more fun to watch than Star Wars 4-6. 4-6 is pretty campy imo (mostly because of the time it was made), and I don't think the story is good enough to keep me super entertained. Yea Han Solo has some badass moments, and every time I'm driving somewhere with my GPS but then realize I know where I am so I turn off the GPS and imagine someone somewhere saying "Clubba, you switched off your targeting computer!", but overall I don't get much enjoyment out of watching them.

1-3 have bad enough acting to be entertaining, and the action scenes are objectively better due to special effects and MUCH better fighting choreography. Now, if you ask me which is the better set of movies, its 4-6, but if I had to choose which trilogy to watch, 8/10 times I'd pick 1-3.
the movies are supposed to be campy - emulating campy old serials was Lucas's original purpose for making them. do you like Indiana Jones? because it's the same thing there.

I don't think the action scenes in 4-6 are that bad, except maybe the first ever lightsaber fight between obi-wan and vader. But I read something about this once that made a really good point - that scene is still great despite the lack of sophisticated fight choreography because of the impact that confrontation has on the characters involved.

Also I think you underrate the story - it seems like old hat now but in 1980 "No, I am your Father" was probably the greatest twist ever. May be a Seinfeld is Unfunny thing (warning, tvtropes link)

people *****ed about them, but I thought they were good. They don't compare to the 1st one but what do you expect? The first one is based off of Plato's Allegory of the Cave, the other 2 were written by hollywood writers. I enjoyed them though
I don't really think the Matrix is that influenced by the Allegory of the Cave. I thought the main point of the Allegory of the Cave was that once the guy saw the truth everyone rejected him / thought he was crazy / whatever. Neo never again really goes and talks to people that are still in the Matrix after he leaves it himself.

If we're going in on unclothed cultural emperors here, Plato's allegory of the cave ****ing sucks. Just sayin'.
how so?

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i was using the term moe as a blatant over-generalisation in my given rage fyi. most of the girls in haruhi are moe, i wouldn't consider the guys to be. however like aa said nearly everyone has traits/displays acts of moe.

i just really didn't like the show too much

well i did, but now i tend to dislike it more than i should as it's a b grade show that everyone seems to think is an a++

movie was quite good though

asianaussie

Smash Hero
still anime

this is why we're friends

haruhi was good but overrated, i've heard the novels ARE worth the ridiculous praise it gets, but that the manga and anime were acceptable but not fantastic renditions

movie was legit though

ciaza you should use this formatting

The Star King

Smash Hero
^utilt a lot

ciaza is far too bent on annoying the hell out of the social thread to do so

Everybody says Haruhi was overrated. So it's not really overrated. I'm SURE there's a trope for this phenomenon, because I see it happen all the time. It becomes cool to say something is overrated. And I'm like "n**** please half of you people are only saying so because everyone else is". Like how it became cool to hate on Call of Duty.

Worst thing ever to my hipster side. Just watch, it'll be cool to hate on LoL in like a couple of years (already kind of transitioning into it), and I'll have hated on it before it was cool. But no. It'll be cool to hate on it, and I'll be among the real haters, and there's no way of telling. *sigh*

OK, kind of went on a tangent there. But yeah. Not buying the "Haruhi is overrated" junk because everyone says it and I don't actually see the supposed people who think it's godly.

is the second yellow line really necessary if the entire post is comprised of anime

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
fine if i have to

best part of haruhi was the music

i know you're boycotting anime this season, but watch tonari no kaibutsu-kunif you can

it's like a romcom but with enjoyable characters, and somehow reminds me of chiayafuru/iroha a lot

/format

asianaussie

Smash Hero
sk i think that you have too many hipster friends

very few irl people i know who casually watch anime think that it was overrated, a lot of them loved it and one guy (who is pretty straight vanilla normal) even went and put a nagato keychain on his phone; for somebody with little exposure to anime haruhi is very, very good: a combination of good animation studio, interesting setting and things you don't encounter in western comedy/drama/romcom is a winning formula

ciaza i have 40 odd episodes on my desktop and tonari no kaibutsu-kun is among them, next wednesday is gonna be hype

wap wap wap

also, it's been cool to hate on LoL for like a year or something, get with the groove

The Star King

Smash Hero
aa those people don't matter though. Among people whose opinions on anime actually matter (lol), they don't think it's godly. People who have anime experience, that is.

I don't have hipster friends. It's just me.

Which relates to the next thing. Among my friends it is not yet cool to hate on LoL, and they all play and stuff. Makes me sad.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
holy **** aa

aa

aa

aa holy ****

disney bought star wars

what are the chances that

kingdom hearts three contains a galaxy far, far away?

lightsaber keyblades

asianaussie

Smash Hero
around the 'unlikely' region

****ing hype if it does, gummi ship death star course plz

aa those people aren't real though. Talking about people into anime. They all say it.

I don't have hipster friends. It's just me.

Which relates to the next thing. Among my friends it is not yet cool to hate on LoL, and they all play and stuff. Makes me sad.
oh, 'those' people

are you implying i want to be regarded as cool by anime elitists? lol

asianaussie

Smash Hero
there was no specific kh3 talk, dw

also xemnas has been using lightsabers for approximately 2.5 games no-

wait...

does this mean ansem the wise is actually a jedi

i could definitely believe that

The Star King

Smash Hero
I meant late about the news. But yeah people have thought of Kingdom Hearts also.

I should stop posting unclearly and then editing when it'll be too late because yeah. See my edit aa

ballin4life

Smash Hero
and on that topic

people dont even know what weeaboo means

im just kidding please dont discuss this
dude

I went and looked it up on urban dictionary and everything before making my post

sk was there not a discussion of the meaning of some japanese word? hey i got a brilliant idea - when you're trying to discuss a show it might be easier if you STICK TO THE LANGUAGE WE ALL ALREADY KNOW

so yeah

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
aa -5 points for diseasing this thread with your text format. You should be feeling emotional discomfort and stuff right now .....in other words, you should feel bad :embarrass:

The Star King

Smash Hero
dude

I went and looked it up on urban dictionary and everything before making my post

sk was there not a discussion of the meaning of some japanese word? hey i got a brilliant idea - when you're trying to discuss a show it might be easier if you STICK TO THE LANGUAGE WE ALL ALREADY KNOW

so yeah
There was a discussion, yes. This might blow your mind, ballin, but not all discussions are arguments. We aren't on the "precipice on the debate", either. I think you're the only one willing to quibble over something so insiginificant.

There is no English word for the same thing. Which is, you know, what the case usually is when foreign words are used in the English language. I wonder which language 'tsunami' came from?

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
izuhu has japanese characters in his avatar, he's clearly a weeaboo
I drew the avatar and wanted to fill the empty space so I decided to use japanese characters....I like how japanese characters look but I don't show a huge fascination over them.....is using japanese characters so wrong.....

a weeaboo...? ow!....my feelings ;-;

:troll:

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
Nippon ?
I just added the peace sign because I felt like it...I had no intentions to give any references to this "nippon"...whatever that is lol

aa secretly tryna increase my weeaboo-cabulary by having me look up these words in curiosity. Nice try aa
:denzel:

Izuhu

Smash Journeyman
SK I saw the previous post, hilarious :awesome:

i liked your post better pre-edit

izuhu you have already ventured too far into weeaboo territory, you cannot escape :glasses:
aa going try hard to be to get me to acknowledge the fact that I'm weeaboo. I'm not your kind go away.:scared:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
There was a discussion, yes. This might blow your mind, ballin, but not all discussions are arguments. We aren't on the "precipice on the debate", either. I think you're the only one willing to quibble over something so insiginificant.
I was referring to a debate over the weeaboo thing. That's why it was ironic. I am, on the one hand, claiming that we should use plain, understandable English to describe things, yet on the other hand I am inciting an argument over the definition of that particular pejorative.

There is no English word for the same thing. Which is, you know, what the case usually is when foreign words are used in the English language. I wonder which language 'tsunami' came from?
I'm not sure what your point is. I'll attempt to clarify - if you were trying to talk to someone who is Japanese it would make sense for them to try to use a Japanese word and struggle to translate it, but we are all native English speakers, so why would we be using / arguing about Japanese words that don't translate well? It only serves to confuse things.

Heaven knows we already have enough dumb arguments about the definitions of english words (funnily enough, you are also trying to steer us towards another debate about the definitions of "argument" and "discussion")

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
so i did a really cool falcon combo last night (dreamland left platform reverse nair into sheild dropped bair stick jump uair, fast falled fair stick jump uair, stick uair, stick jump falcon punch) and i couldn't record it don't you hate it when that happens

also all ive done is play offline on an emulator with a 360 controller i want to move on to n64 so i dont end up like koro

Top Bottom