• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

cyoonit123

Smash Apprentice
ok terrible idea. they dont want to play me anymore and i'm not even being cheap with uair combos and stuff. and tyler for sure man. to bcow, dont think bowling green is here/ i dont know if we play them in our season. i'll keep it in mind though :p

Battlecow

Play to Win
I sent a pissy PM to arcnatural, he says it's temporary

Dude needs to stay the **** off our boards

A couple infractions there would have done a world of good, though, and then we wouldn't've had to close the thread. Where u at A$?

Olikus

Smash Champion
Its possible they got infracted though. But yeah such a good thread didnt need to get closed obviously.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I'm guessing you haven't been here for long, bro. This is the 64 boards, and we ***** about mods in the social thread like it's our job.

ALSO WHERE THE ****ETY**** ARE MY TACNA VIDS

DMoogle

A$
I tend to not like to close threads that have a good topic. Sometimes I get put in a ****ty situation because I hate infracting 10 people in a row. I actually like ArcNatural's thread templock. Maybe I'll start doing that (will have to clear it in the Staff forum as a regular occurrence though, I suppose).

TBH, a lot of times I just get lazy. I actually do check every thread every day multiple times a day, but most of it is very very light skimming. School and other stuff takes up time.
Good **** noobs getting the thread closed... It's amazing how people can't stay on topic in these threads. Especially when they post random **** like they did (I mean it's not like the offtopic was interesting/useful/slightly clever at all. It's not a problem of moderation, it's a problem of people's mentality.
I hesitated myself to report it, but I would have had too many posts to report. Also because of this (made me stop lol):
<3

Reports will make me actually read posts.

tyhiggz

Smash Apprentice
The 64 tournament thread is probably hidden away in the Mario Universe or the Poke` Center.

So... when's the next big tourney??

Olikus

Smash Champion
Dont think there are any big tourneys soon. Depends on what you mean by big though. To the summer its most likely Genesis 3, and a really big melee tourney in Norway, were we hope to get a 64 tourney running since allmost all the best 64 players from europe are attending.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Just finished FF13-2 and I must say that's the worst ending ever. Now I know there are several ones and I probably got one of the worst, but still I don't think the others are so different. That kind of ending makes me want to throw the game and the ps3 in the dustbin... I don't even want to discuss the ending (especially if it's to read opinions of people who like it), just wanted to say how disgusted I was.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
So i was at this party last night at uva, talkin to some guy from jmu who was visiting. I asked him if he knew my friend who goes there, and he said no. But I wanted success, so I asked him if he knew A$. Turns out, they're in the same group for some class lol. So then I told him how A$ is the ****ing **** at smash64 and he should play him and see the truth, but he didn't retort saying he was the best so I don't think he plays. Anyway it was ridiculous and I went nuts when he said he knew him.

TANK64

Smash Lord
I've been listening to a lot of Mac Miller lately.

Broke my camera today... :(

Guess I have to buy a new one...

Finally 64 section is active again :)

TANK64

Smash Lord
lol knew there was gonna be mad hate :D, but figured I'd post it has I really have been listening to him a lot recently. I like his flow, and he's got some really good songs. I actually wanted to hear Ballin' opinion on his old stuff/new stuff. Old stuff has more substance, but talks way too much about smoking for my taste. New stuff has some amazing hooks, and still sick flow of course, but talks a bit too much about having money...soo

All hit beats are top tier.

@Mooney, But don't tell me. You think Drake is the best raper right... :troll:

Battlecow

Play to Win
I actually wanted to hear Ballin' opinion on his old stuff/new stuff. Old stuff has more substance, but talks way too much about smoking for my taste. New stuff has some amazing hooks, and still sick flow of course, but talks a bit too much about having money...soo
IMO listening to hip-hop for fundamental lyrical content (themes+overall meanings, I mean, not line-by-line cleverness) is pretty futile.

Like, take "Mathematics" there; nice-sounding song, lot of clever wordplay, but thematically very weak. It's "deep" or whatever by hip-hop standards because it addresses societal concerns instead of being focused on income/weed-usage/musical prowess/realness, but it addresses the same societal problems that've been brought up in similar songs 999 times and throws in some anti-gov stuff to make a very general, unemphatic "**** sucks" message.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
IMO listening to hip-hop for fundamental lyrical content (themes+overall meanings, I mean, not line-by-line cleverness) is pretty futile.

Like, take "Mathematics" there; nice-sounding song, lot of clever wordplay, but thematically very weak. It's "deep" or whatever by hip-hop standards because it addresses societal concerns instead of being focused on income/weed-usage/musical prowess/realness, but it addresses the same societal problems that've been brought up in similar songs 999 times and throws in some anti-gov stuff to make a very general, unemphatic "**** sucks" message.
how much rap have you listened to, and what is an example of a lyrically deep song in your opinion? if you don't see anything deep in lines like "young bloods can't spell but they could rock you in playstation" then i don't see how you could find ANY song deep at all. It's all been said before, right?

this is my personal favorite rap song ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhA5aaCb-Y

TANK64

Smash Lord
Says a rapper isn't good because...
in his opinion, a better rapper exists? >_________________>

oh god, go comment on YouTube or something...

Your Wack Miller line was much better.

and I was listening to Doom just yesterday :p

Battlecow

Play to Win
how much rap have you listened to, and what is an example of a lyrically deep song in your opinion? if you don't see anything deep in lines like "young bloods can't spell but they could rock you in playstation" then i don't see how you could find ANY song deep at all. It's all been said before, right?

this is my personal favorite rap song ever:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhA5aaCb-Y
I've listened to a fair bit of rap. I'm not an aficionado, but I've listened to at least an album's worth of everyone who's universally considered significant by guys like us. And yeah, I've liked Blu since you first linked to a song of his a year or so ago. Great stuff.

Lyrically deep song: Jokerman's a good one (bad music video tho lol). Not as straightforward as it could be, so not the best example, but the kind of stuff Dylan's going for is pretty obviously a lot more ambitious than anything that's been attempted in hip-hop (that I've heard, so really "underground" stuff can be excepted from that).

Nah, that line's pretty simple. The kids are talented but not in the way the man/the world would have them be. Little comment on the way kids in his culture are being raised, and a little rebuke of the way we see them. It's a sentiment that's been expressed a lot. Compare to Jokerman; a complete and complex character conveyed to us through biblical imagery and allusion. It's something novel, and it makes you think a little. "Mathematics," on the other hand, is all surface-level stuff, lyrically speaking.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Jokerman's pretty comprehensible. He's talking about some dude. He uses a lot of cool imagery to explain the dude's personality and character in clever ways. You could prolly get that on the first listen.

EH whatever mang I'm not claiming to be any sort of authority on music.

Olikus

Smash Champion
its not fair to use Bob Dylan as an example for good lyrics. Cus he is in a own league on that point.

shame on you battlecow.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I sent a pissy PM to arcnatural, he says it's temporary

Dude needs to stay the **** off our boards

A couple infractions there would have done a world of good, though, and then we wouldn't've had to close the thread. Where u at A$?
My reasonings are simple, I don't know everyone on the 64 boards that well, and as such I felt it was more prudent to simply temp close the thread than throw out the infraction hammer. It worked. One man's angst isn't enough to make me feel worried about my modding style lol.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
disagree with y'all - closing the thread is still a bit harsh. simply posting in the thread "stop spamming guys" would have sufficed IMO

obviously no big deal in the end though

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
i agree with ballin

64 isn't exactly the most active section, closing one of the few good threads we have - even temporarily - is ****ing gay. as ballin said a stern warning for people to get back on topic would have been adequate.

Top Bottom