• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I tend to **** controllers. Wanted to experiment and see if the legends of doubling your controller's life are true.
I've never heard of these life doubling tricks. Links? The problem with the stick lies in the stirrups that the stick sits in in the stick housing. the plastic that they are made of is softer than than the plastic the stick is made of so the friction wears grooves in to them making the stick loose. I don't really see how this is fixable.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
yes but with a stick similar to a gamecube stick, but looser. overpriced if you ask me, and makes some things more difficult like plat drop u-air, but mine has shown no signs of wear, and i haven't heard anyone else say theirs has worn out.

firo

Smash Ace
Looks like hori pads are dropping in price a bit, which is good.

We live in a merciless world however, as I'm beginning to notice a significant loosening of the stick on my original hori pad. The sticks on these things do wear out, but its by far a much smaller problem than an original controller. It still snaps back, but it does have a wobbly deadzone in the center. I'll have to take apart the hori and see if there is a fix, since I'd be surprised if the stick was actually wearing down.

If you are lucky to have an original n64 controller with the last-generation sticks, however, they do last a long while. I've been using mine for over a year for smash and its only first starting to have a noticeable drop in performance.

Also, if anyone is curious, I can confirm that the raphnet adapter, in its current state, does not work properly with hori mini pads even though the seller says it does. I've tried two pads on multiple computers and it's the same issue. I'm in contact with the seller though and will probably send my pad over so the adapter can be fixed.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
When I bought my hori pad it was like $35 including the shipping from japan. I think $45 is the most I would be willing to pay for one, but $80 is ridiculous. Also firo, how loose has your stick gotten? Mine deff has a little play in it when centered, but is still accurate.

:phone:

TANK64

Smash Lord
So I'm trying the whole "get-good-with-characters-you're-bad-at-thing" and damn. I just realized how crap Mario's jab>grab is compared to Luigi (Really it's the jab that's crap). It is pretty much only good on shields or super low percents (and maybe heavies more?). This is a shame.

Oh and I just figured out (maybe a couple months ago) that Ness even had a jab.

Yea I feel like a scrub :(

On that note. I feel I am secretly bad a some match ups. How I long for online Ness and Pika.

/shame and self pity post

The Star King

Smash Hero
Today I discovered that there is like a frame or two, right after you do Luigi's or Mario's ledge-attack under 100%, if you jump, you will do a mid-air jump, even though you're on the ground.

Yes, I seem to discover a lot of useless things.

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^coo

yea, I just tried it and it was like 50/50. Maybe I just have to REALLY be up in their grill. I went to the hitbox thread and both grabs look almost identical so IDK. Guess I'll keep practicing and only use it when it's safe. The thing is if I whiff (the grab) with Luigi, I'm not really in trouble; if I whiff with Mario, the opponent is out of the jab hit stun so fast it seems like I can get punished easily.

The Star King

Smash Hero
^^coo

yea, I just tried it and it was like 50/50. Maybe I just have to REALLY be up in their grill. I went to the hitbox thread and both grabs look almost identical so IDK. Guess I'll keep practicing and only use it when it's safe. The thing is if I whiff (the grab) with Luigi, I'm not really in trouble; if I whiff with Mario, the opponent is out of the jab hit stun so fast it seems like I can get punished easily.
I don't think the hitstun for their jabs is that different lol. If Luigi's is better, I'd wager it's because of his low traction, which allows him to slide a bit forward during the jab->grab, meaning that the grab won't whiff for a larger % range.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Funny 'cause I thought of that, but I didn't think it would affect a standing jab.
Definitely a difference though, and the jab hit stun seems different too o_O
Back to the drawing board...

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^What kind of an idea is that! Would never work!

Also: Just did an spur of the moment recording of my hands playing smash haha.
Think It'll freak some people out the way I hold the controller.
Really bad quality. Should I upload?

TANK64

Smash Lord
(Forgot it's not past 3am in Cali)
Hmmm, wait for tomorrow? (Not like anyone's gonna see it until tomorrow)
**** THAT! Since when can I wait!
I'll probably make a nice one and just delete this/video response the new one.
oh and ... It's not that interesting...better IRL.

EDIT: It's up now.

firo

Smash Ace
These UGS guys are crooks, I tell you. Crooks!

Just sent them an angry email. Where do these guys get off...

If there was anything in my power that I could do to stop the server from going down, I would. But unfortunately there is not.

Peek~

Smash Lord
Preaknesssssssss

I swear any sport/event/etc can be watchable/exciting with the right group
Holyyyyyyyy **** lets do this

firo

Smash Ace
So my angry email may have done something....
apparently a "technician" is going to the datacenter and reinstalling the OS with some new hardware. They also put some credit on my payment account. We'll see how this goes.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
What a let down. My controller works until I go into online mode on Project64k, then I get nothing. Time to hit the online forums.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Italicized, bold, underlined, all caps, bright red, in the largest font, with giant arrows pointing at it from all sides.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Swear 'for god, instead of the index we should have a thread that tells people how to uncheck raw data. I've explained it to some new guy literally every time I got online for the past week.

Top Bottom