• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Molten Core clan

hi i'm starting a smash 64 clan called "Molten Core."

this clan will consist of handsome and young men above average players (though "pro" status players are preferred). this clan will only hold 4-5 members.

clan tag format: [name]·MC

members:

Near
- COULD BE YOU
- COULD BE YOU TOO
- COULD BE HIM
- COULD BE THAT GUY
- person

if you'd like to try out, please PM me.

hopefully in the future we can start some legit hype clan battles.

P.S. there will be no fancy "clan website" like most others have. also, don't point out the obvious similarity between malva00's OLD clan.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Don't mean to reply for Peek, but can one really explain why he or she doesn't like a certain type of music? It's just a preference that you're born with, and you can't really explain. I can't explain why I hate country music, it just sounds ****ing horrible to me.

House and dubstep are my least favorite genres of electronic music x_X
I don't think it's a preference you are "born with". I'm sure it is affected a lot by what you listen to as a child though.

I can explain why I dislike certain types of music in terms of factors in the music - I don't like screamed vocals, dissonant harmony, lack of melody, etc. (That's why Pandora works, after all).

Of course, it is much more difficult to explain why I like or dislike those certain factors. But the same is true of any preference. Why do you like skim milk more than whole? Why do you like apples more than oranges?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Kirby w/Troll Face: Where Art Thou?

A whiiiile back I remember seeing someone's avatar as Kirby with troll face on it and couldn't stop laughing remembering it yesterday for quite some time.

Who had it?

And more to the point, post it here!

thanks

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
DBD Clan

DBD is basically a reincarnation of shablivion's old clan, NBK which was very popular and successful. We are still recruiting right now due to some players being inactive and looking for a few more good players. We already have crew battles with other major clans in the works so if u wish to join, tell me so in this thread or ask me or shablivion on kaillera.

Here's our website: http://dbdclan-site.webs.com/

P.S- mods please don't move this

Ocean

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
OCEAN#0
most people don't like dubstep because they are listening to them as mp3 files. mp3s compress the range and add a harsh ring in the background. AAC is the best for songs that have a range to their bass.
no, people don't like dubstep because it's boring as hell.

or annoying.

or both.

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
DBD is basically a reincarnation of shablivion's old clan, NBK which was very popular and successful. We are still recruiting right now due to some players being inactive and looking for a few more good players. We already have crew battles with other major clans in the works so if u wish to join, tell me so in this thread or ask me or shablivion on kaillera.

Here's our website: http://dbdclan-site.webs.com/

P.S- mods please don't move this
y did u move my thread

TANK64

Smash Lord
Don't mean to reply for Peek, but can one really explain why he or she doesn't like a certain type of music? It's just a preference that you're born with, and you can't really explain. I can't explain why I hate country music, it just sounds ****ing horrible to me.

House and dubstep are my least favorite genres of electronic music x_X
soo much hate :(

I LOVE trance, and am into house and dubstep atm.
I'm just at odds with the world I guess lol.

However, I don't see how you could be born to not like something forever. Unless you grew up listening to a very narrowed/few genres of music and never introduce yourself to new genres. I add certain music to my "menu" all the time. Some are types that I have known about for years, but just started to appreciate. But like you said, it's what you think sounds good.

I don't think it's a preference you are "born with". I'm sure it is affected a lot by what you listen to as a child though.
Pretty much this. Although I think it has to do with more of the variety. Not necessarily those exact genres, of course. I grew up listening to rock, rap, r&b, folk, dance/techno, classical, salsa, bachata, pop...ect (not in that order of frequency). I still listen to those fairly regularly, and each of those have different elements that I can enjoy in newer genres.

no, people don't like dubstep because it's boring as hell.
or annoying.
or both.
...I kindly disagree, I really don't think you have heard too much dubstep (I would bet that goes for a lot of people here). I didn't like dubstep at first, but then I randomly came across a song on newgrounds and loved it. Then I started looking for others now that I knew how good it could sound. I feel that is the way with most music; I love rock music (broad I know), might be my favorite, but I think 90% of it made is crap. That doesn't mean rock music sucks, It just means there are only a few bands playing what I seem to enjoy. Maybe I just have high standards, or enjoy hunting down the exceptional few. There is a lot of bad dubstep out there, I agree, but there are probably some you would like (that's every genre, even country). All of this reply isn't to you (Ocean), I'm just kind of thinking aloud.

and just to ensure that everyone here gets really angry I'm posting a song that was mentioned earlier by someone. You might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q5spk228R0

Sangoku

Smash Master
Nova, I think it's because there has been to many clan threads lately. Sklrx's one has been moved too.

I must admit that I prefer it that way, those threads are kinda polluting the forum IMO. I find clans useless and childish anyway.

NovaSmash

3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
Nova, I think it's because there has been to many clan threads lately. Sklrx's one has been moved to.

I must admit that I prefer it that way, those threads are kinda polluting the forum IMO. I find clans useless and childish anyway.
polluting the forum? isnt this wat a forum for smash64 stuff is for? i guess we can only talk about lame and boring stuff now. u think clans are useless because there arent alot of ppl playing on servers where ur from.

sharksquail

Smash Ace
This is how I like my Dubstep. less wobble, and songy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE47er6qnqg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcWzVUlrzdc

polluting the forum? isnt this wat a forum for smash64 stuff is for? i guess we can only talk about lame and boring stuff now. u think clans are useless because there arent alot of ppl playing on servers where ur from.
one of the mods should just make a clan index with applications

Name of clan:
Player requirements:
Members:
Who to contact for application:
Accepting Members: [Y/N]
Other:

Sangoku

Smash Master
Hmm I might have been a bit harsh, but I don't really get the point of a clan. I guess you're right, it's probably because there aren't many players in Europe.

Clan index sounds a good solution to me.

Peek~

Smash Lord
I feel that is the way with most music; I love rock music (broad I know), might be my favorite, but I think 90% of it made is crap. That doesn't mean rock music sucks, It just means there are only a few bands playing what I seem to enjoy. Maybe I just have high standards, or enjoy hunting down the exceptional few. There is a lot of bad dubstep out there, I agree, but there are probably some you would like (that's every genre, even country).
I've seen many people say something like that. That a large portion of music is something that they will not like, even if given the chance. I very much agree with it

I think anyone who regularly downloads/listens to new music will think like that

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
why not just make another subsection, like char-specific one, for clans? Honestly our community is small enough it should work

The Star King

Smash Hero

I can explain why I dislike certain types of music in terms of factors in the music - I don't like screamed vocals, dissonant harmony, lack of melody, etc. (That's why Pandora works, after all).

Of course, it is much more difficult to explain why I like or dislike those certain factors. But the same is true of any preference. Why do you like skim milk more than whole? Why do you like apples more than oranges?
I agree completely that what you listen to as a child is a huge factor. However, the inherent preferences you possess for your entire life are also very important.

You kind of defeat yourself in your post, lol. Like you said:

Exactly, it's true of any preference. And I'm pretty sure many preferences are earned inherently.

Battlecow

Play to Win
I like lyrics. Seems kind of narrow-minded even to me, but it's just one of my things; I hate all poetry that doesn't rhyme, all non-representational art, and all music without lyrics I can get behind. Sorry dimrain.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I'm the opposite. I don't really care about the lyrics. I only care about how the music sounds.

BTW @ TANK64, there's a few dubstep tracks I like too. That doesn't mean I'm going to claim I like the genre, seeing as how I hate 95% of it.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
I agree completely that what you listen to as a child is a huge factor. However, the inherent preferences you possess for your entire life are also very important.
Yes, but I don't know how many preferences are really "in your DNA". Many of them probably came from your experiences, particularly as a child.

You kind of defeat yourself in your post, lol. Like you said:

Exactly, it's true of any preference. And I'm pretty sure many preferences are earned inherently.
No, I'm making a subtly different claim there. I'm saying any preference is ultimately arbitrary. There is no ultimate reason to prefer strawberry to vanilla, or punk rock to jazz. I just don't think that the "cause" of these preferences is your DNA, or that you are necessarily "born with" these preferences. I think it's likely for most of them that they developed based on your experiences.

Sangoku

Smash Master
Skrlx: I don't have any recent vids, but I admit I'm not very good (not to say I suck). I might record some this weekend though.

I still don't get what is funny about dandan's vid =/.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I did merge both threads. A few weeks back, we had several clan threads that cluttered up the boards. Now, the same thing was happening. So that's my reasoning.

I don't disagree with having a clan index or something. I was actually going to suggest to the other mods something similar (though my suggestion was going to be having it as part of the player contact thread).

sharksquail

Smash Ace
I like lyrics. Seems kind of narrow-minded even to me, but it's just one of my things; I hate all poetry that doesn't rhyme, all non-representational art, and all music without lyrics I can get behind. Sorry dimrain.
I agree, I definitely prefer my music to have lyrics. However, I don't find that I have a need to understand them. I listen to a lot of Japanese music that I don't understand any of except when they scream rock'n'roll.

I did merge both threads. A few weeks back, we had several clan threads that cluttered up the boards. Now, the same thing was happening. So that's my reasoning.

I don't disagree with having a clan index or something. I was actually going to suggest to the other mods something similar (though my suggestion was going to be having it as part of the player contact thread).
you should just link it in the index. if it's popular it will stay on the front page, and if someone is around long enough to want to join a clan they'll probably be familiar enough to find it in the index.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yes, but I don't know how many preferences are really "in your DNA". Many of them probably came from your experiences, particularly as a child.

No, I'm making a subtly different claim there. I'm saying any preference is ultimately arbitrary. There is no ultimate reason to prefer strawberry to vanilla, or punk rock to jazz. I just don't think that the "cause" of these preferences is your DNA, or that you are necessarily "born with" these preferences. I think it's likely for most of them that they developed based on your experiences.
I think your DNA is a factor too.

Hardcore is my favorite genre, and I love most electronic music in general. However, I didn't start listening to it until I was like 14. I didn't grow up with it at all.

TANK64

Smash Lord
BTW @ TANK64, there's a few dubstep tracks I like too. That doesn't mean I'm going to claim I like the genre, seeing as how I hate 95% of it.
lol what?

I didn't say anyone should "claim" a genre because they hate 95% of it, and like 5% of it. I think you can like a genre based on how much you like that 5%. Unfortunately people have an "guilty-until-proven-innocent" outlook when trying to appreciate any form of art so that never happens. My point is every question is not/should not be a yes or no answer. It's ok to like parts of something, and dislike others. It shouldn't be embrace or hate- which is what I seem to always see: "dubstep sucks! alternative rock is good!"

*I'm not saying this your attitude, just clarifying.

Also, if you mean liking a genre is enjoying >50% of it than I wouldn't like any music. Which isn't true for me because music is my life (lol what a cliche). That's why I find that such an inaccurate form of measuring preference.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You weren't growing up at 14? Wow.
Growing up as in early childhood :/

Really you like Hardcore...like hard style?

Like this? :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIvpSmg4Zgc

best techno ever!
Hardstyle is pretty good. It can't be just an empty beat for me though, it has to have a good melody too. Otherwise, it's boring to me.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc7YN3ws8kw

lol what?

I didn't say anyone should "claim" a genre because they hate 95% of it, and like 5% of it.
wtf, I didn't say you said that at all.

Also, if you mean liking a genre is enjoying >50% of it than I wouldn't like any music. Which isn't true for me because music is my life (lol what a cliche). That's why I find that such an inaccurate form of measuring preference.
Same here for the >50% thing, but 95% is too high.

or page 188 if you're cool and have 40ppp
This, why people wouldn't use max posts per page is beyond me.

What kind of hardcore? there are too many genera called hardcore.
TBH IDK.

Top Bottom