• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
We used LIATE in Calc II, so same as you, kuz.

One of the hardest things I've done in Calc is trying to draw a three dimensional figure. Holy god is it so much harder than one would think.

And, regarding the triple integrals, you have to look at your poorly drawn piece of ****, and then come up with bounds in all three directions in terms of the line (curve) equations and it just gets insane. We regularly spend a half-hour in class trying to draw a figure using the bounds of the integral(s).

In the end, we're nowhere close, and consider it a wasted day. :weep:

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
One of the hardest things I've done in Calc is trying to draw a three dimensional figure. Holy god is it so much harder than one would think.
I agree. I've taught some calc classes and when I have to draw a three dimensional figure on the board I first try to explain the shape, mould it with my hands, use the corners of the wall as axis and try to make sure everyone can picture it in their minds before drawing it on the board.
It frustrates me that I've had teachers whose 3D drawings seemed to come out of the board :(

Thino

Smash Master
no guys dont worry , we learned first part of trig way before we did integrals

but we did integrals almost at the same time as some VERY annoying part of trig that made me hate trig , I dont remember exactly what it was

inb4 its even more confusing than before

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Ugh, I wish I could still play Smash64 online. It still is my favorite game of all time.
I wish my area was more interested in 64, like two people have very little interest in it, everyone else hates it... :(

NixxxoN

Smash Master
uh trig

exponentials , logs and polynomials were ok

but trigs and integrals , INTEGRALS

IF I SEE THAT ∫ ... ONCE AGAIN...

yes I mad.

Yes Thino I also hates integrals, uber s*** stuff.

but Trigonometry is easy!

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
logs, exponentials, polynomials, trig.......
I use to hate all that at first, but now I kind of love everything related to math.
It's like a fun excercise to your mind, when you get use to it.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
At lower levels of math, e.g. high school, solving problems is simply a matter of memorizing algorithms to solve them. For example, using the quadratic formula to find the roots of a quadratic equation. The only skills are recognizing which algorithm to use and then not making silly mistakes.

At higher levels of math most problems are in the form of proofs. Proofs are like a puzzle, and often require some ingenuity to solve. They can definitely be more frustrating when you are stuck and don't know what to do (in lower levels, you can just go through your list of algorithms until one of them winds up working). But they are much more rewarding to actually solve.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
A problem on my Calc II final exam last year was to integrate sin(x)^4, and all of us were completely bewildered until we got home and checked out Wolfram...

THE REDUCTION FORMULA!?

WHAT

Didn't even learn that ****.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Sorry to interrupt the math discussion, but I just gotta say this sig is so cool :3

Please dont infract me, its the social thread :D

ballin4life

Smash Hero
A problem on my Calc II final exam last year was to integrate sin(x)^4, and all of us were completely bewildered until we got home and checked out Wolfram...

THE REDUCTION FORMULA!?

WHAT

Didn't even learn that ****.
Reduction formula? You don't need that.

You just need to do integration by parts with u = sin^3 and dv = sin

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Can someone recommend a good piece of anime to me?

Here is anime I have enjoyed in the past and currently...

Soul Eater
Darker than Black (All of them, however I liked the original's the best)
Cowboy Bebop
Bakemonogatari
One outs (I dislike main stream sports, and gambling, but this one is very awesome in a rather odd way that I can not describe if you have not seen it I recommend it.)
Shiki (Extremely awesome, I am willing to go as far as to call it a master piece!)
xxx Holic (Season 1 and 2, but not three.)
Yugioh Season 0
Detective Conan (From what I saw of it, it was good, but I do not have the ability to sit though 100+ episodes, unless I was there from the start.)

I, painfully waiting for the next shiki installment need something to tide me other does any one know a good anime that will be right for me based on the list?

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Reduction formula? You don't need that.

You just need to do integration by parts with u = sin^3 and dv = sin
wut

I'd try it out myself, but I think I'll pass. Maybe later.

Also, I'd just like to rant about Windows Live Movie Maker:

WHY THE HELL DID THEY REMOVE THE OPTION TO SAVE YOUR MOVIE AS DIFFERENT FILE TYPES. ALL I WANTED WAS TO SAVE MY **** AS AN AVI, BUT NO ALL I COULD DO WAS SAVE IT AS A WMV.

Christ, gotta download the actual Windows Movie Maker to do the goddamn job...

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Apparently, MLG_JV is still writing an official announcement to the entire site for establishing the backroom (thats how I understood it anyway).

Results will be made known during that time, I hope.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
hopefully soon. i feel like i have an itch i can't scratch.

on a different note. i would love to see more link combos involving multiple throws. someone quench my thirst.

Thino

Smash Master
Can someone recommend a good piece of anime to me?

Here is anime I have enjoyed in the past and currently...

Soul Eater
Darker than Black (All of them, however I liked the original's the best)
Cowboy Bebop
Bakemonogatari
One outs (I dislike main stream sports, and gambling, but this one is very awesome in a rather odd way that I can not describe if you have not seen it I recommend it.)
Shiki (Extremely awesome, I am willing to go as far as to call it a master piece!)
xxx Holic (Season 1 and 2, but not three.)
Yugioh Season 0
Detective Conan (From what I saw of it, it was good, but I do not have the ability to sit though 100+ episodes, unless I was there from the start.)

I, painfully waiting for the next shiki installment need something to tide me other does any one know a good anime that will be right for me based on the list?
watch Kaiji , Saki , Baccano , Dennou Coil , Durarara , Bamboo Blade , Tsukihime , Kara no Kyoukai

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Dragoon it seem you mainly like action anime and even if you didn't I'd still recommend Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. If you dig through aa's post history you'll find he harps on about it a lot too.

Can't go wrong with Death Note though I know it's somewhat controversial around here lol.

You might like Shakugan no Shana. Thino also raises some good anime. Durarara is cool.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
I only hear negative feedback from my friends who only watched the movie and never saw the series or read the manga.

I cant even lie, as much as I love deathnote, I just left the moving laughing cuz it was so bad.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Death Note is the only anime I've ever watched (besides I guess DragonBall Z?). I liked it, but as I said before you can't have L die and continue on the series IMO. Total deus ex machina for there to be other people smart enough to hunt down Kira.

I think we also talked about how Light is an idiot and if he would just have just laid low from the beginning he never would have been caught.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
Kuz is that a Shoyru (from Neopets) with a Yoshi head? It has the same spike on the wings which is what made me think of it.

Neopets was the **** btw.

Death Note Live Action Movie....lol. I wouldn't recommend watching it. For anime movies go watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time or something.

Top Bottom