• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Dsc

Smash Ace
Well well well...

I seriously couldnt find it...

Probably coz im on mobile XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

ballin4life

Smash Hero

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
are u guys particularly interested in any certain branch of math?

my favorite is combinatorics

Gammelnorsk

Smash Ace
As a freshman I really liked Cantor's proof on the uncountability of the set of real numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor's_diagonal_argument

But so far the most beautiful proof I have encountered is a combinatorial proof of Brauwer's fixed point theorem. It's too advanced to post and expect someone to understand it. :ohwell:
But if you know enough the proof is really short and brilliant.
so dreamy

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
I can't say I'm TOO interested in math because I'm really just learning it so I can get a goddamn engineering degree, but some of it is interesting. I find a lot of the geometric proofs fascinating, like how to prove a triangle's internal angles equal 180 degrees. Simple stuff like that, but tough to prove unless you know what you're doing.

Purtle

Smash Journeyman
Is anyone here into collecting N64 stuff?

I'm collecting the funtastic controllers and consoles along with the regular controllers boxed atm.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
As a freshman I really liked Cantor's proof on the uncountability of the set of real numbers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantor's_diagonal_argument

But so far the most beautiful proof I have encountered is a combinatorial proof of Brauwer's fixed point theorem. It's too advanced to post and expect someone to understand it. :ohwell:
But if you know enough the proof is really short and brilliant.
Oh yeah Cantor's diagonal argument is a really good one too.

I always get Brauwer's fixed point theorem confused with Banach's fixed point theorem. I like the proof of Banach's fixed point theorem because it's simple.

Tambor

Smash Journeyman
are u guys particularly interested in any certain branch of math?

my favorite is combinatorics
I'm currently specializing in Discrete Mathematics and Game Theory. I love some algebra too, specifically Galois theory, group theory and ring theory, but since that isn't a field of applied mathematics my college doesn't have any advanced courses on it :glare:

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Game theory is fun. Here's a good one that I've seen on job interview lists:

There are 5 pirates (call them A, B, C, D, E). They are ranked in order of seniority (A is the captain, B is the first mate, E is the lowest deckhand). Now, they pillage a passing ship for 100 gold coins.

To divide up the coins, the highest ranking pirate proposes a split. If half or more of the pirates agree with him, then the split is accepted. If less than half agree to the split, there is a mutiny and the highest ranked pirate is thrown overboard. Then, the next highest ranking pirate proposes a split and the process repeats.

All other things equal, the pirates would prefer to throw the highest ranked officer overboard so that they can move up the seniority ladder.

What split does the captain propose?

dandan

Smash Lord
i actually prefer a good paradox to a good proof, for some reason i think they are so much harder to think of.
Russel's paradox is probably my favorite, and i had a conversation that actually brought it up not long ago, whether or not the universe is the group that contains everything, as this stands against Russel's paradox.

Cantor's proof that 2^p > p is really nice as well.

iirc, Galois died when he was 21, amazing how much he accomplished in such a short time, makes you think about the real difference between smart people and geniuses.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Well one of the interesting things is that back in the day, aristocrats had private tutors and could get super advanced in subjects quickly (if they were smart enough).

Whereas a lot of the really smart people today are held back by public schooling. Obviously though having private tutors is a big benefit.

Of course 21 is still super young.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I think hve potential in math, it always came really easy to me. But of course I did only have public school math, so I only got as advanced as advanced algebra and trig.

That's why I find your math theory talk to be confusing, but if I had the chance I think I'd be able to learn it well.

Sempiternity

Smash Lord
Most people say that Calc II is the hardest. I thought that it was pretty complicated and requires lots of practice, but is still manageable. However, I don't remember anything about it, even after having taken it just last semester.

Calc III is actually giving me the most trouble. People say it's just like Calc I but with another variable, and it is in some ways, but there's a lot more to it. Integration just gives me problems. I have no trouble actually doing the integration, but setting up the integral, especially when there's three of them, can get pretty damn convoluted and I end up second guessing all my results.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
Ahh I hate that (not that I know what you're talking about). Any guess and check method related to calculus bugs me so much.

Integration by parts, for example, always makes me pull my hair out because I always think I take the wrong U and then second guess myself the point where I never actually do any work but just stare at the page wondering when the answer will hit me in the face.

Thino

Smash Master
I dont know what corresponds to calc II or calc III but I know trigonometry was one of the most annoying things for me back in high school

holy **** I hated that ****

ballin4life

Smash Hero
kuz you can use the ILATE method.

The higher on the list it is, the more likely you should choose it for u

Inverse trig functions
Logarithms
Algebraic functions (ie polynomials)
Trig functions
Exponentials

You can also remember that u gets turned into du, so you want to choose something for u that gets simpler when you take the derivative. That's where the rationale for the ILATE rule comes from. Inverse trig functions and logarithms get transformed into simpler expressions when you take the derivative. Polynomials get turned into a polynomial of lower degree. But trig functions get turned into other trig functions, while exponentials get turned into other exponentials so they don't get any simpler.

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
lol...

My teach taught me a different acronym: Lipet

Log
Inverse Trig
Polynomial
Exponential
Trig

Which is kind of like yours except the order is differ ant and there is a P in there

Thino

Smash Master
uh trig

exponentials , logs and polynomials were ok

but trigs and integrals , INTEGRALS

IF I SEE THAT ∫ ... ONCE AGAIN...

yes I mad.

Top Bottom