• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Talk About Anything (You Are Allowed to Talk About)!

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
surri closed that bosses thread?

wow not bad surri not bad at all

too bad his comment about the the online scene cancels that out
Lol I'd hate to leave you unimpressed so I'm wondering what was wrong with what I said, after i further clarrified it?

Smash64 is 95% dead outside of online...it's a fact.

Online does NOT show "true skill" as you guys think of it. So how do you guys propose we do show it?

Did I hear Malva offer to fly us all to genesis? Nope :(

And sorry about having to close that other thread but...I'm not going to repeat myself

That pic was funny (I'm getting that tatoo) but there is a pic thread in the forum games section if you simply want to post thigns for laughs.

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't know what malva is talking about.

Maybe its because he lives in California, the best ssb64 scene in North America which makes him blind to the fact that there is no console ssb64 scene in the rest of North America.

I live in Florida, which is probably top 3 smash scenes in the country for Brawl/Melee along with Cali and NY. Even here, at our 128 person monthy brawl tourneys or our 40-50 person monthly melee tourneys I can only get 2-3 that will actually play ssb64 with me seriously.

Sorry buddy, but Surri is right. Online ssb64 IS the main scene for the majority of the North America whether you want to accept it or not.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Sorry buddy, but Surri is right. Online ssb64 IS the main scene for the majority of the North America whether you want to accept it or not.
You really dont know that, you dont know how many people are there playing on console. But sadly, i guess its pretty much deadly hurt

SheerMadness

Smash Master
You're right, I can't know that for sure. There could be random pockets of ssb64 players across the country we've never heard of, but it seems unlikely.

The fact is, judging by smashboards, is that there is only 1 to 2 regions in North America that have had semi-regular ssb64 tourneys in the last couple years.

California has them and from what I've seen Superboom's region has had a couple Brawl/Melee/ssb64 tourneys in the past year.

NY/New Jersey used to have them a lot but I haven't heard of any in the last year or 2.

So as far as we know, theres only 2 regions in North America with enough interest to have semi-regular ssb64 tourneys.

Sensei

Smash Lord
The key is finding a good venue in a relatively densely populated area and/or where there is high traffic. Unfortunately, the past two venues I used to host my tournaments have shut down. My tournaments were amazing; I would on average get between 16-30 people to come to my tournametns and got big names such as Isai, Keshiki, Mew2King, ChuDat, PC Chris and the great m3gav01t, valoem and L. LOL

The ssb community can grow if there are tournaments hosted regularly. It can bring together veteran players as well as new players and give them a sense of the community and the intricacies of the game. It can either motivate the players to get better at the game or cause them to give up on the spot. The players who do not give up can become regulars at the tournament.

There are still "noobs" across the country that still love the game and play it. Some even think are "unbeatable". Most of these players don't even know an online community exists. These players can be reached by street ads at schools and universities. Word of mouth is a great way to get new people to come to your tournament. You would probably get more results from universities or colleges since they are the older crowd and have played the game in their early childhood as opposed to the elementary or middle school kids that only play brawl and street fighter 4.

I was retired from the smash scene but now I'm back into it LOL. I might consider finding a new venue and start hosting smash tournaments there. We shall see after I come back from Genesis. LOL

malva00

Smash Master
i said that cuz calling online a "real scene" in your post just sounds ugly

plus online isn't real ssb64 you should say "online is the only real scene for online ssb" lol

m3gav01t

BRoomer
BRoomer
sensei, yeah, you should definitely host tourneys again. that last one you had in february or whenever was a lot of fun. except that guy steve was trying to write an article about the smash scene in the fashion of hunter s. thompson writing about the biker scene. but yeah, i'll talk to gerry and see if we can find a venue for when you get back from genesis.

Superstar

Smash Champion
Online is the only major scene, how about that? No use of real.

Online SSB is completely inferior to console, but NO ONE wants to play console. They'd rather play my Melee or my Brawl since I own all 3.

And I have tried to get 64 playing in FIU, just asking some people. But no dice, the TVs are always full of Brawl and SFIV, I don't even go to the game room anymore cause there is no point in even being there.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
You would probably get more results from universities or colleges since they are the older crowd and have played the game in their early childhood as opposed to the elementary or middle school kids that only play brawl and street fighter 4
You're too right, and in fact I've brought a LOT of people together at my university with my "Unofficial Smash Club." I'm hosting tourneys this coming academic year as well, and a Smash 64 tournament brings a big crowd around here. Wherever I go in town, if there's students then there's always an N64 with smash bros in it. Most of the people don't know how good they could potentially get at the game and it's always fun to show them (what's with the misconception that Jiggly sucks??).

I'm currently applying to the uni's student-run society and making the club "OFFICIAL", so it's going to grow even more. These tourneys are going to be hella fun, and I hope to have some vids for you guys at that time.

Right now the plan is 3 tourneys, one 64, one Melee, one Brawl. Depending on how things go, I might do more, but it's ambitious enough as is. Sounds like a lot but when you know who you can borrow equipment from, and you host it ON CAMPUS, it's not quite so tricky as hosting a tournament elsewhere. And my rented house right now is less than a block away from the buildings on campus where we're most likely to book rooms for the tourneys.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
As for 64 console scenes:

I host biweeklies here in Victoria BC, and 64 is always one of the more popular games. At SFU tournaments, there's usually lots of 64 people that show up... though still nothing compared to melee and brawl, but there are still lots of people :)

64 console scene definitely exists, but is nowhere near as big as melee and brawl.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Sensei i agree with you..
but a lot of people that play brawl or melee don't own a n64 console so unless they get a console and a copy of smash they can't really get serious about ssb64. And a lot of people will notice immediately the joystick on the 1st party nintendo 64 controller blows compared to the gamecube joystick

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
BC Canada is near oregon. There are tournaments there quite frequently (Biweeklies in Victoria).

However, as the host of the biweeklies here, I probably wouldn't allow you to show up stoned... depending on how you act stoned. And from your past posts while you were stoned, it would be a 99% no.

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys reckon the new smash bros game will be called?
(or what would be an awesome/funny name for it)

Super Smash Bros Riot would be a sensible name.
But my favourite name would have to be Super Smash Bros Fisticuffs.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
i said that cuz calling online a "real scene" in your post just sounds ugly

plus online isn't real ssb64 you should say "online is the only real scene for online ssb" lol

The issues that come up online are definitely a hindrance, but again, it doesn't change the facts. People dont play smash64 online very much on console (North America as a whole) while some people actually do play online consistently.

Online scene is not "perfect smash64" but it is still the scene we have.

Live with it and don't QQ

Small tourneys held in specific places (Even big tourneys are so few that they dont really add up) dont really include enough people to really say its a scene.

I from Newfoundland have no desire to travel to BC or Cali for smash....it's just not going to happen...but i can still play smash through the online scene....and i am thankful :)

What do you guys reckon the new smash bros game will be called?
(or what would be an awesome/funny name for it)

Super Smash Bros Riot would be a sensible name.
But my favourite name would have to be Super Smash Bros Fisticuffs.

Theres a thread for this in the brawl section >_>

Dr_Strangelove

Smash Journeyman
The issues that come up online are definitely a hindrance, but again, it doesn't change the facts. People dont play smash64 online very much on console (North America as a whole) while some people actually do play online consistently.

Online scene is not "perfect smash64" but it is still the scene we have.

Live with it and don't QQ

Small tourneys held in specific places (Even big tourneys are so few that they dont really add up) dont really include enough people to really say its a scene.

I from Newfoundland have no desire to travel to BC or Cali for smash....it's just not going to happen...but i can still play smash through the online scene....and i am thankful :)

Theres a thread for this in the brawl section >_>
Apologies, but I don't play brawl.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Watch the news. :p
I was working when it happened, but was out in field doing sales

One of the guys loaded it up on his blackberry but was sure it must have been a hoax because Google couldn't pull it up... turns out that Google misinterpreted the "Michael Jackson" searches as a site attack because such a massive number of people wanted to confirm the rumours right away.

Anyway, now I know...

I've drank, danced and hooked up with girls to Michael Jackson's music and I'm not even in the age group that was his "era"..... RIP man, RIP.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
What I love is the recent, "he was a great artist years ago show him respect"

As if that wasn't opinion....

I didn't like him then, and I dont like him now.

Top Bottom