• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Surprised Smashboards got back up so quickly since the reveal borked Twitter.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I had put him into the 'No way would this ever happen' basket. It's Minecraft. It's an absolute ridiculous suggestion.

Looks like fun though, especially that Minecart move.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You've made two posts within five minutes of each other and I can already feel your irritation coming on. Might be best to go do something else for awhile, like I'm going to.

I actually hate Minecraft so yeah, I'm not too pleased either, buy let's not let it ruin our whole day now.
OK. I'm gonna go... talk to my dad... put gas in my car... and go to lunch

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm glad your happy with them. Really I am. I would never try to deny someone that feeling I felt when Banjo got in (unless the character that would give them that feeling is from Fire Emblem ;)). But this still feels..... corporate. More then any other smash character. It's like "Minecraft makes LOTSA MONEY! So if we include Steve we'll make LOTSA MONEY!
Idk there was that person that asked about Steve in Smash at Minecon 2018, fan support has existed since the Miiverse days if not even before Smash 4 was known, and it grew louder over the past couple of years.

I respect your opinion though. Maybe it was money, idk, though it could also be how they love Minecraft (not just for money) it even being a source of inspiration for BotW, and of course the Steve fans.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Steve's page is up on the website.

The main fighters page refers to the character as Steve/Alex, though I don't think Alex was introduced when I played Minecraft, so I'm not sure why they get equal billing.

Here are the renders for his (their?) costumes:

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Well I did say there were a few characters who I really, really didn't want to be in.

Steve was one of them. I never really enjoyed Minecraft at all. My brain just doesn't understand it.

1601562722179.png

I'm sad but they at least proved me wrong in a way. There's four more spots to go, so maybe one of my most wanted will get in............maybe.

Regardless glad people who wanted him are happy.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Steve's page is up on the website.

The main page refers to the character as Steve/Alex, though I don't think Alex was introduced when I played Minecraft, so I'm not sure why they get equal billing.

Here are the renders for his costumes:

Alex became the main poster girl for Minecraft

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Steve's moveset looks so fun dude, I'm definitely picking him up

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Very much unexpected.

But very much welcomed.

Truly an accolade of gaming.

And I think Chief is gonna be a costume at best now lol

MainJPW

M.T.A
As expected, /v/ is now overrun with Steve threads. This is a not so unexpected contrast to all the "Banjo > Steve" ****posts from back when Banjo was revealed.

Funny how things turn out.

D

Deleted member

Well I did say there were a few characters who I really, really didn't want to be in.

Steve was one of them. I never really enjoyed Minecraft at all. My brain just doesn't understand it.

View attachment 287743

I'm sad but they at least proved me wrong in a way. There's four more spots to go, so maybe one of my most wanted will get in............maybe.

Regardless glad people who wanted him are happy.
I mean I woulda preferred one of my most wanteds(I was thinking up until the minecraft SFX that Mario has landed in the Dark Irregulars camp and Scharlot/ maybe Gastille would just pop outta the darkness) but Steve is one of those characters I actually know about so I'll take it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Idk there was that person that asked about Steve in Smash at Minecon 2018, fan support has existed since the Miiverse days if not even before Smash 4 was known, and it grew louder over the past couple of years.

I respect your opinion though. Maybe it was money, idk, though it could also be how they love Minecraft (not just for money) it even being a source of inspiration for BotW, and of course the Steve fans.
Yeah. I can see that. It's just really hard for me to comprehend. I never saw the appeal in Minecraft, and when everyone was like "best game ever, 10/10!" on it it made me even more indifferent. Caddicarus explains the phenomenon pretty well during a tangential discussion in his Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated Streams. Has that ever happened to you? When you're exposed to people who are super excited about something you're just whatever about it makes you even more whatever. That's me and Minecraft. I just don't get it. And since I never saw the appeal of Minecraft, I can't really see the appeal of adding it to Smash. But that's just me. At the end of the day he makes a lot of people happy and who am I to stand in the way of that. Even if it is personally disappointing to me. At least I'm not as destroyed as I would be if Banjo hadn't come first.

But if they start adding content from Fortnite, Fall Guys, and Among Us, then I'll start crying Dingo.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
EDIT: Never mind.

Anyways, even though I am not familiar with the Minecraft brand, I can still understand its inclusion since it is one of the popular franchises within the gaming industry.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Yeah. I can see that. It's just really hard for me to comprehend. I never saw the appeal in Minecraft, and when everyone was like "best game ever, 10/10!" on it it made me even more indifferent. Caddicarus explains the phenomenon pretty well during a tangential discussion in his Battle for Bikini Bottom Rehydrated Streams. Has that ever happened to you? When you're exposed to people who are super excited about something you're just whatever about it makes you even more whatever. That's me and Minecraft. I just don't get it. And since I never saw the appeal of Minecraft, I can't really see the appeal of adding it to Smash. But that's just me. At the end of the day he makes a lot of people happy and who am I to stand in the way of that. Even if it is personally disappointing to me. At least I'm not as destroyed as I would be if Banjo hadn't come first.

But if they start adding content from Fortnite, Fall Guys, and Among Us, then I'll start crying Dingo.
Among Us and Fall Guys are way too recent lol.

Fortnite... uh...

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Steve, Alex, Finn, Zombie, and my new homie Enderman wouldn’t have gotten in Smash if it wasn’t for Sonic punching Mario into another dimension
Ah yes, I do hope there will be further confirmation for Kate Bishop and I am aware that there had been some reports saying that Hailee is going to be casted. I'm pretty much guessing we'll know who is Kate Bishop and Marc Spector (Moon Knight) soon?

Also, I can finally understand why Iman Vellani is perfect for the role of Kamala since she did do a video dedicated to Kevin Feige.
...I will protect this cinnamon roll

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As expected, /v/ is now overrun with Steve threads. This is a not so unexpected contrast to all the "Banjo > Steve" ****posts from back when Banjo was revealed.

Funny how things turn out.
The toxic trolls 4chan trolls are disappointing, though I’m happy at least one person painted Banjo and Steve as friends.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I never saw the appeal in Minecraft, and when everyone was like "best game ever, 10/10!" on it it made me even more indifferent. Has that ever happened to you? When you're exposed to people who are super excited about something you're just whatever about it makes you even more whatever. That's me and Minecraft. I just don't get it. And since I never saw the appeal of Minecraft, I can't really see the appeal of adding it to Smash. But that's just me.
I normally don't agree with you on some stuff Snake but right here, I 100% agree with you. I don't get it as well. I can why it is a cultural phenomenon in a way but to me I just prefer other things. I never liked the graphical style or the movements either. Plus there are games that just more entertaining to me.

I think this is a Terry situation for me where I am going to enjoy the stage far more than the character.

And looking from a financial standpoint, this is going to push sales for Smash pretty heavily honestly again for a game that has been out for almost TWO YEARS. Watch the big N plans for Smash Ultimate plus Minecraft DLC bundle. No FP2 or 1 but just that.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
They’re credited to Mojang, so while Microsoft owns them, Banjo & Kazooie were credited to Microsoft, not Rare. So I think by that, Steve should count as an indie (the character was designed when Mojang was an indie studio). It is admittedly a grey area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom