• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Goddamnit.

Another anime swordsman.
I know you're joking but Steve honestly is like the perfect example of how you can take a character with a sword as a primary weapon and make em unique lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Steve from Minecraft being added to Smash doesn't excite me, but I guess that's because I never cared for the Minecraft series.

But considering Minecraft's legacy appeal, I can see why he was added.

Interesting moveset as well.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I guess Minecraft man made it in. Not a huge fan, but I know a lot of people will be happy.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I can't believe they managed to make a character who I'll play even less than Corrin

Who has less personality than Corrin

And who I would've actually rather had another Fire Emblem fighter than what we got

:)

D

Deleted member

Hmm... weird that the actual Sakurai overview of the character is on the 3rd. Every other character which was revealed via Sakurai has had the overview come right after, so it's a bit odd that this is the one that breaks the pattern.

And now it's over. Overall Steve is a very cool addition. Don't think I'll get the pass just yet though. Gonna wait until everyone is revealed before I make a decision.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Thanks, I hate it :laugh:

But congrats to everyone who’s been pulling for him for a long time :)

Edit: I do love ridiculous character choices, so maybe he’ll grow on me.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, now we don't have to debate on whether or not Steve would make it anymore.

We still will have plenty of debates on whether or not they should only go for big stars, however.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Since I'm probably not gonna draw Steve, I'll think of some October stuff to draw soon. I got a few Inktober drawings to post that I never shared before and now's a good time as any to try some Halloween inspired artwork.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
honestly... my whole reaction to this is... really, though? Why? I'm far from angry like I was at Fire Emblem because it's still a new franchise getting in. And I suppose that I did have one spot reserved in my predictions for a surprise. But like..... this is the second time in a row this has happened with this pass, I had pretty much the same reaction to the Arms Announcement. And I'm kind of worried at the tone this sets.

Also, of course he had to mention that Minecraft is "the best selling game in the world" which, while not his fault at all (especially since we already have Banjo), it does open old wounds from the great Bear and Block wars. Since that was frequently used as ammunition against Banjo.

Also. Am I the only one that thinks they look kind of... off? Like, it really looks like they just plunked the Minecraft models into Smash without messing with the textures like they do for ever other fighter. Like... people complained about PSASBR for that (among many other things).

And finally, it is a bit of a letdown that all the serendipity around Crash really was just a coincidence. Though, Steve's simplicity could be proof of characters with relative simplicity being moved ahead thanks to the pandemic, pushing the more relatively simple ones up front. I mean, Min-Min already had ready made assets from Arms and Steve is... Steve. Sure, the programing for all his gimmicks might be a challenge. But animating all of it (the second most complicated part of designing a character) is so much simpler then other characters because of their limited movement and their complete lack of dialogue. Plus there's the fact that you probably could have built the stage IN Minecraft and then just exported the models with help from Mojang.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I am trying to be as civil as possible. But this... IDK. It really is like dripping citric acid into your sweet tea.
Also like TheMightyP TheMightyP has said, all the numerous Banjo vs. Steve memes & s**tposts that came about during Vol. 1 have definitely aged poorly now.
I mean, Steve blew Banjo up in the trailer. I know that that's the point of the game and is just supposed to be a fun "lol they come from the same company" moment but... it still stung.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
As for my reaction, I was actually legitimetly suprised about the outcome.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I’M SO HAPPY, I TEARED UP DURING THE STREAM

TheCJBrine TheCJBrine is probably losing it right now

Congrats, Steve fans.
YOU’RE DANG RIGHT

honestly... my whole reaction to this is... really, though? Why? I'm far from angry like I was at Fire Emblem because it's still a new franchise getting in. And I suppose that I did have one spot reserved in my predictions for a surprise. But like..... this is the second time in a row this has happened with this pass, I had pretty much the same reaction to the Arms Announcement. And I'm kind of worried at the tone this sets.

Also, of course he had to mention that Minecraft is "the best selling game in the world" which, while not his fault at all (especially since we already have Banjo), it does open old wounds from the great Bear and Block wars. Since that was frequently used as ammunition against Banjo.

Also. Am I the only one that thinks they look kind of... off? Like, it really looks like they just plunked the Minecraft models into Smash without messing with the textures like they do for ever other fighter. Like... people complained about PSASBR for that (among many other things).

And finally, it is a bit of a letdown that all the serendipity around Crash really was just a coincidence. Though, Steve's simplicity could be proof of characters with relative simplicity being moved ahead thanks to the pandemic, pushing the more relatively simple ones up front. I mean, Min-Min already had ready made assets from Arms and Steve is... Steve. Sure, the programing for all his gimmicks might be a challenge. But animating all of it (the second most complicated part of designing a character) is so much simpler then other characters because of their limited movement and their complete lack of dialogue. Plus there's the fact that you probably could have built the stage IN Minecraft and then just exported the models with help from Mojang.
They look gorgeous to me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And finally, it is a bit of a letdown that all the serendipity around Crash really was just a coincidence. Though, Steve's simplicity could be proof of characters with relative simplicity being moved ahead thanks to the pandemic, pushing the more relatively simple ones up front, a I mean, Min-Min already had ready made assets from Arms and Steve is... Steve. Sure, the programing for all his gimmicks might be a challenge. But animating all of it (the second most complicated part of designing a character) is so much simpler then other characters because of their limited movement and their complete lack of dialogue. Plus there's the fact that you probably could have built the stage IN Minecraft and then just exported the models with help from Mojang.
I dunno.. lazily importing the models doesn't seem like what happened here. For one thing Steve's model only has a few animations by default: running, swimming, attacking, and walking, mostly, and they're very simply at that. There obviously are way more animations that had to be made here just for it to even work, and the actual animations themselves seem to be upscaled and remade completely, with more dynamic movements. The stages as well simply can't be imported from Minecraft; as the actual stages have a lot of moving parts: something that isn't saved in a minecraft world seed if memory serves. Even then I don't think it would be feasible to import a minecraft world into Smash, mostly because if you tried... it wouldn't look pretty and def wouldn't fit in the game.

I can agree with saying that Steve looks a little bit off but overall that's not something you could reasonable fix unless you went for Story Mode's more defined designs. Which honestly probably woulda looked way worse IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I’m happy with this lol
I honestly find it hilarious that it actually happened
Now we got Minecraft Steve, Sans, Ridley, Banjo and Kazooie
Just throw in Goku and we’ll be good 🤣

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I am trying to be as civil as possible. But this... IDK. It really is like dripping citric acid into your sweet tea.

I mean, Steve blew Banjo up in the trailer. I know that that's the point of the game and is just supposed to be a fun "lol they come from the same company" moment but... it still stung.
You've made two posts within five minutes of each other and I can already feel your irritation coming on. Might be best to go do something else for awhile, like I'm going to.

I actually hate Minecraft so yeah, I'm not too pleased either, buy let's not let it ruin our whole day now.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’M SO HAPPY, I TEARED UP DURING THE STREAM

YOU’RE DANG RIGHT

They look gorgeous to me.
I'm glad your happy with them. Really I am. I would never try to deny someone that feeling I felt when Banjo got in (unless the character that would give them that feeling is from Fire Emblem ;)). But this still feels..... corporate. More then any other smash character. It's like "Minecraft makes LOTSA MONEY! So if we include Steve we'll make LOTSA MONEY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom