• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
No it won't. That is a very arrogant thing to think.
I'm seriously wondering if you even know what the word "arrogant" means.

I'm not saying Smash is popular because I like it and I want it to be cheered for, I'm saying it because it literally is, but this is what you do. You ignore what people have to say because it doesn't fit your viewpoint. I'm really sick of it and I don't think I'm the only one. Like do you just make a conscious decision to ignore facts like "Smash Ultimate sells 5 million in its launch window"?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No one cares that you're wrong.

It's you dig your heels in and won't consider other possibilities as logical.

You were so dead set on the game awards being this MASSIVE HYPE EXPLOSION, but now that you've been proven wrong, you're playing the "Woe is me" card.

Own up to it without pity, it's called humility.
What am I supposed to do? I can’t just get over it with the snap of my fingers. All those emotions are still there and still built up. They just change from an external frustration with other people to an internal frustration with myself.

This is less severe then other times it has happened but others in the past have been the catalyst for some of the darkest moments of my life. I brought it up with my therapist for Pete’s sake.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
TGA audience calmly appluad Joker while I accidentaly fling my glasses off my face and use all the power I could muster to avoid screaming 'cause it was the middle of the night.

Shroob

Sup?
What am I supposed to do? I can’t just get over it with the snap of my fingers. All those emotions are still there and still built up. They just change from an external frustration with other people to an internal frustration with myself.

This is less severe then other times it has happened but others in the past have been the catalyst for some of the darkest moments of my life. I brought it up with my therapist for Pete’s sake.
Accept that you're not always right.

Like, I'm not gonna try to talk down to you, but this situation was

Dumb.

You were clinging to the belief that the reactions at TGAs must have been ABSOLUTELY ****ING WILD for Joker when... no, they really weren't, and I can damn well near guarantee you that Reimu would get just as much of a reaction as he did because

It's a ****ing Smash reveal.

You dig your heels in too hard and REFUSE to see things in any other light than your own.

D

Deleted member

Accept that you're not always right.

Like, I'm not gonna try to talk down to you, but this situation was

Dumb.

You were clinging to the belief that the reactions at TGAs must have been ABSOLUTELY ****ING WILD for Joker when... no, they really weren't, and I can damn well near guarantee you that Reimu would get just as much of a reaction as he did because

It's a ****ing Smash reveal.

You dig your heels in too hard and REFUSE to see things in any other light than your own.
Wait, Snake has done this before? I mean, it's never been this bad(most of the other times this kinda thing happened she made valid points here and there, but this time it's just an Ostrich in the sand)

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
What am I supposed to do?
1. Own up to your mistake

2. Try not to repeat said mistake

3. If you’re really that emotional then have a little cry. Eat some ice cream, watch Marley & Me, get it all out. Then suck it up and keep on living.

At the end of the first Charlie Brown movie, Linus says something really insightful when Charlie is depressed about losing. It was Something like...

“ I know it seems like you’ve let everyone down and you‘ve never been more embarrassed. But y’know what Charlie Brown? The world didn’t come to an end.” Then Chuck walks outside and sees all the kids who were on his case a few days ago just living. Not even caring that he failed. You can feel bad that you messed up. Get upset and depressed and what have you. But life goes on.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Response is super late because I only come here once a blue moon but this caught my interest;

Comparing TPCi to Cygames with their business ventures is significantly different. Cygames is looking to branch out into different markets and genres, so if GBVS fails to do super well, so long as its received well and people even say "Hey, we want more of this" it is the flag of success.

TPCi is competing with itself on the same console with its spinoffs, and furthermore it fails to produce renewable income like the mobile games, or new content like a mainline game. In fact, spinoffs are more likely to just cause a money sink that doesn't bring in immediate gains.
It's alright, I'm not exactly the best with that here either considering my own late response. ^^;

That's true, Cygames and TCPi are different companies with different ideologies so of course there's going to be differences in how they approach their business and it won't be 1:1 in that regard. However, I brought them up because like how they did GBVS to dip their toes into different markets and expand their franchise, Pokemon has done the same with their current spinoffs. Take Pokken for instance, that game was clearly made to appeal to competitive players and it was pushed for their Pokemon World Tournament game alongside TCG and the mainline Pokémon games. It didn't sell a lot (only about a million on the Wii U), but it still got a port onto the more successful Switch and has still remained a major feature in their tournaments since. Same thing with Detective Pikachu, that game could've easily fell into obscurity if they wanted since it was just an Eshop game in Japan and only the first episode released for some time, but they still pushed for a physical game later on the 3DS, have a sequel in the works for the Switch, and had a movie this year.

In both cases we see that TCPi pursued these spinoff options despite the fact that neither moved many units, with Pokken probably only selling around two and a half million between both releases. So why did they do it? Because those games appealed to a market that they wanted to have. Pokken added an extra layer to their competitive community and they continue to support that, while Detective Pikachu (IIRC) was made to portray Pikachu in a different setting and way. In both cases there was an itch that TCPi wanted to have scratched and both games did it for them.

Now that's not to say that suddenly a new Mystery Dungeon will be made, but those two games do highlight that selling to the highest mark isn't everything. TCPi does look for ways that their spinoffs can appeal to different crowds and expand on Pokemon in ways that they're interested in. Mystery Dungeon has been a subseries that many still enjoy to this day, beloved for its fleshed out characters, charming stories, and (to a lesser extent) rougelike gameplay that no other spinoff in Pokemon has fully shared. If TCPi feels that itch is worth scratching, then they'll go after it. They have shown more interest in it then any of the other older spinoffs like Stadium/Colloseum, Ranger or Conquest (RIP all three), so there is an appeal they recognize in it. Whether it may turn into us getting another game in the future, that's up in the air, but I don't think it's as impossible as you say.

Console spinoffs are wholly unremarkable in sales because again, Super Mystery Dungeon didn't do so well internationally, while MonHun4 outsold its most recent sales numbers, several times over in a matter of months.

TPCi has no reason to invest in console games from a business perspective, and is actively incentivized not to
I'm kind of picking on this, but at the risk of repeating myself, the comparison of Monster Hunter 4 and Super Mystery Dungeon is still disingenuous since it ignores a number of factors exclusive to both games I've already explained. Additionally, it also ignores that what one company considers a success for their game is not the same for another as it comes down to their respective expectations. To use your comparison of MH, despite being a multimillion seller in Japan, Monster Hunter Generations selling a million in the west was considered a success for Capcom. The reason for that is that relatively, while those numbers would be bad in Japan, the franchise had never exploded in the same way in other regions at the time, so passing that bar was a mark that their franchise was getting stronger and they were pleased with that. Same thing for games like Metroid Samus Returns or Fire Emblem Echoes: SoV, those games probably only did a million themselves worldwide, but Nintendo and IS respectively were pleased with the numbers and happy that they sold as much as they did. If Pokémon had those numbers in their mainline games, those would've been bombs, but for those examples it was a success.

So saying that since SMD didn't sell as well as MH4 on its own doesn't really tell us anything about how successful it was for TCPi. They of course would've been ecstatic with 4 million for the game, but on the other end it doesn't mean 1.63 million was a disappointment for them. It's all a matter of what TCPi was looking for with that game, and unless an interview or official statement comes out and explains the situation we can't say concretely it was a failure for them.

D

Deleted member

1. Own up to your mistake

2. Try not to repeat said mistake

3. If you’re really that emotional then have a little cry. Eat some ice cream, watch Marley & Me, get it all out. Then suck it up and keep on living.

At the end of the first Charlie Brown movie, Linus says something really insightful when Charlie is depressed about losing. It was Something like...

“ I know it seems like you’ve let everyone down and you‘ve never been more embarrassed. But y’know what Charlie Brown? The world didn’t come to an end.” Then Chuck walks outside and sees all the kids who were on his case a few days ago just living. Not even caring that he failed. You can feel bad that you messed up. Get upset and depressed and what have you. But life goes on.
Oh, hey, we doing quotes now?
1575694430422.png

Shroob

Sup?
I think a lot of the time

We keep acting like Smash is this holy artifact that others need to be "In awe" of.

When in actuality it's just a fun fighting game that any character that catches Sakurai's fancy can get in.

Smash isn't special.

It wasn't special when the Box theory told us they'd be ending on a Clone and a Pokemon Rep.

It wasn't special when our first DLC was a Piranha Plant.

And it's not special if they decide to reveal a "Unhype" reveal at the game awards.

Noipoi

Howdy!

We keep acting like Smash is this holy artifact that others need to be "In awe" of.

When in actuality it's just a fun fighting game that any character that catches Sakurai's fancy can get in.

Smash isn't special.

It wasn't special when the Box theory told us they'd be ending on a Clone and a Pokemon Rep.

And it's not special if they decide to reveal a "Unhype" reveal at the game awards.
Cuz in this fanbase of most wanteds and never evers and insiders and whatever a character joining smash has turned into a sacred act of the heavens instead of a cool thing.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Smash isn't special.

People do this with Nintendo in general a lot.

More than any other company, people expect the world from them. It's super weird.

D

Deleted member

People do this with Nintendo in general a lot.

More than any other company, people expect the world from them. It's super weird.
I mean, tbf, Nintendo is the one company that tends to catch peoples eye, because all of their competition is HD 4k beasts of gaming, while Nintendo is over here, chilling with some weird and wacky ideas, staying just behind the industry standard enough to differentiate itself and compete against no-one, really.(seriously, if the Ring-Con was a thing for any other console, more likely than not, it woulda flopped)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I’m really scared of The Game Awards turning out like this years E3. That did not leave me in a good mental space and if banjo’s reveal hadn’t swooped in at the very last possible minute I dread to think how far down I would have gone.

Shroob

Sup?
And like:

What the hell is "Unhype".

Like, this speculation cycle has made me two things:

Tired of "LITERALLY WHO!?!"

And happy Sakurai's been picking characters that aren't the same handful that this fanbase regurgitates over and over and over.

I feel like "Unhype" is just code for "Not Geno/Isaac/insert character this fanbase loves" here, and if you're not one of those, you're instantly a:

"LITERALLY WHO?!"

"NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS!!!"

"SAKURAI BIAS!"

"UNHYPE!"

D

Deleted member

I’m really scared of The Game Awards turning out like this years E3. That did not leave me in a good mental space and if banjo’s reveal hadn’t swooped in at the very last possible minute I dread to think how far down I would have gone.
I think I'll ask one last time:
What do you expect from the Game Awards, anyway?

Oh yeah, here, I'll cheer ya up!

Shroob

Sup?
At this point I don't even know what you want.

If you entire mental stability rests on other people getting excited for video games, you really need to take a break.

Noipoi

Howdy!
And like:

What the hell is "Unhype".

Like, this speculation cycle has made me two things:

Tired of "LITERALLY WHO!?!"

And happy Sakurai's been picking characters that aren't the same handful that this fanbase regurgitates over and over and over.

I feel like "Unhype" is just code for "Not Geno/Isaac/insert character this fanbase loves" here, and if you're not one of those, you're instantly a:

"LITERALLY WHO?!"

"NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS!!!"

"SAKURAI BIAS!"

"UNHYPE!"
Drop some unique and kinda unexpected characters :ult_terry::ulthero::ultjoker:

Throw the fans who’ve been here forever a bone :ultbanjokazooie:

Go ****in nuts :ultpiranha:

D

Deleted member

Drop some unique and kinda unexpected characters :ult_terry::ulthero::ultjoker:

Throw the fans who’ve been here forever a bone :ultbanjokazooie:

Go ****in nuts :ultpiranha:
Is it bad I only know :ult_terry::ulthero::ultjoker: from Smash bros?(well, slight pass for Joker, I'd heard of Persona before)

D

Deleted member

It just makes you uncultured.
I'm 15, you mongrol, how the hell am I supposed to know these older icons /s

In all seriousness, the games they come from, just don't interest me. I'm moreso a casual player of fighting games, not that big into JRPGS(although I have played a few, all of the ones I played were free-to-play cashgrabs) and Hero........ eh... he's fine. I've just kinda... grown out of RPGS to an extent.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm 15, you mongrol, how the hell am I supposed to know these older icons /s

In all seriousness, the games they come from, just don't interest me. I'm moreso a casual player of fighting games, not that big into JRPGS(although I have played a few, all of the ones I played were free-to-play cashgrabs) and Hero........ eh... he's fine. I've just kinda... grown out of RPGS to an extent.
When I was fifteen I knew Dragon Quest, Persona, and I while didn’t know exactly who he was I heard of Terry too.

Because I wasn’t uncultured

/s

MainJPW

M.T.A

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
At this point I don't even know what you want.

If you entire mental stability rests on other people getting excited for video games, you really need to take a break.
Take a break from what?
I think I'll ask one last time:
What do you expect from the Game Awards, anyway?

Oh yeah, here, I'll cheer ya up!
Honestly, at this point I expect to be disappointed. I used to see it as a place where some of the big titles and events in gaming get revealed. It should be like a second E3. I expect to be dazzled and wowed by things I never expected.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Smash isn't special.

Um actually Ultimate's Japanese name is Super Smash Brothers: Special.

Checkmate atheist.

Shroob

Sup?
Take a break from what?

Honestly, at this point I expect to be disappointed. I used to see it as a place where some of the big titles and events in gaming get revealed. It should be like a second E3. I expect to be dazzled and wowed by things I never expected.
The internet.

I know I'm sounding harsh but, if you're banking your happiness on a couple hundred people going absolutely mental over a DLC character in a video game then

I'm sure even you can see how bizarre this sounds.

I'm not sure why you'd expect any character to get more than *mild clap* now that you've seen what happened with Joker. They could reveal the most wanted character of all time and it'd be the same results.

The Game Awards is not a good way to gauge hype.

The reaction videos are.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

I have multiple suggestions.

1: Keep a note or something next to your PC that says "Are you getting heated again?" If you recognize that you are, stop with what you're doing, take a breath of fresh air, have a drink of water and just have a 5 minute break

2: Are you watching any youtubers who could be influencing this behaivour? If so, and I know for a fact you watch at least 1 person who does this whole emotionally manipulative stuff in similar situations, stop watching them. Believe it or not I went through something similar and when I realized a specific kind of video I watched a lot made me more generally unpleasant to deal with, I stopped watching them as I realized all of the youtubers I watched who did those things were being a bad influence on me
EDIT: Sidenote, I'm aware it's easier said then done, sorry if I'm implying it's easy to do it as snapping your fingers

3: Stop going here if it affects your mental state so badly. A rather extreme course of action, perhaps, but if you get THIS heated that it affects your mental state then it's only for the best if you stop going somewhere that incites this behaivour in you. Eventually this constant lashing out at everyone for disagreeing with you will bite you hard and nobody will want to talk to you anyway as there's the constant emotionally manipulative thing you keep doing whether you realize it or not.

I'm not just saying this as someone who's tired of this song and dance, I'm saying it as a friend who likes you outside of this scenario

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom