• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Question. What if there was a first party Nintendo franchise, that didn’t start as a game. Like if Nintendo actually bought some book or movie or tv show IP. Or created one, for whatever reason. Would that first-party status override its non-game status and make it eligible for Smash?
The dilemma all Captain N fans must face...

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well this is frustrating. I apparently left my Nintendo switch’s charging cable at home before going to college.

What do you think would be cheaper? Buying a new one or having my parents mail it to me.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
If we can avoid turning this into an argument, can you guys help me settle a debate I had with my friend?

Keeping it short and sweet, my friend dislikes WFT and PP. He thinks they were a waste of a slot and that they shouldn't be on the roster in the next game if we get cuts. I told him that I could understand why he doesn't like them, but both characters are really unique, hence why I think they should stay. He told me that it doesn't matter because basically no one uses them anyway and that we should prioritize characters based on their popularity, both inside and outside of Smash.

So whenever we get a relatively unpopular "okay, but why?" character added, wouldn't you agree that they deserve to keep their spot if they ended up being really unique, even if no one asked for them or if they rarely get used? If we absolutely had to make cuts, these two aren't where I would start.
No, I wouldn't.
A washing machine could be a unique character and introduce new gameplay mechanics and styles that have never been seen and never will be but guess what?
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE ROTOM-WASH RUIN ANOTHER META.

Seriously though, this is a fanservice crossover fighting game, not just a normal fighting game, so adding characters on a whim because they add gameplay options is going to be hotly contested with characters that are super popular and aren't in, even if what they hypothetically would bring wouldn't be as unique. Remember stuff like Firebrand getting in over Megaman in MvC3 or whatever.

If we began cuts by cutting "boring" characters to play with already seen tropes, then we'd be cutting characters that actually are popular and people like say, Simon Belmont or Ganondorf. Fact is, everyone has a frothing die-hard fanbase no matter how small, and cutting will always be a "necessary sacrifice" type of ordeal rather than something people will want.

Though tell your friend, Wii Fit is actually a popular character that's recognizable. She just appeals to a more casual audience than those who are conventional "gamers."

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It’s kinda like this thread I saw on /v/ about Fire Emblem cuts...*shudders*...you have these fans talking about the characters as if they’re literally all the same and that relevance and sales numbers dictate who stays or who doesn’t.

As in, Marth is there because he’s Marth, but then cut Ike because his game sold poorly, cut Roy because “he’s a clone”, cut Corrin because “no one asked for them”, but then keep Chrom and Lucina because threatened popular.

That’s literally the dumbest thinking. Ike is one of the one unique in the game simply because he’s a heavy sword user. Roy doesn’t play anything like Marth or even Chrom. At one point I was someone who argued about sales, but those are bad and flawed arguments. There’s no valid system to compare it among the roster and it’s incredibly biased.

While I may be in the minority, a character like Edelgard, for example, would likely bring in something unique, and by the thought process of fans such as these, a character from Three Houses “deserves” a spot because it’s almost passing Awakening as the highest selling game in the series.

As I said, I would actually love Edelgard in Smash, but can understand why others wouldn’t want her. But she’s popular. She’s unique. She’s new. She’s potentially from the “highest selling” game of her franchise.

To some people, she’s an obvious pick. Idk, Smash fanbase opinions on cuts have never been anything but flawed imo.

Plus I’d argue 95% of all “most important”/ “most popular” picks are in Smash already. Characters still need gameplay to stand out among the whole.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Well this is frustrating. I apparently left my Nintendo switch’s charging cable at home before going to college.

What do you think would be cheaper? Buying a new one or having my parents mail it to me.
it sounds far more convenient to just buy a new one

NerFox

Smash Cadet
I hate to say this but if they are cutting characters in the next Smash (and I think they will because Ultimate has a huge roster with everyone ever introduced to Smash), WFT and the likes are going to be cut first I think. Characters like her are unpopular and don't have a huge fandom compared to others. BUT I wouldn't want to cut them. I don't have anything against WFT or PP. I think they are indeed unique and have a rightful spot in a Smash roster. Also it's fun watching those unpopular characters in Tournaments.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
It’s kinda like this thread I saw on /v/ about Fire Emblem cuts...*shudders*...you have these fans talking about the characters as if they’re literally all the same and that relevance and sales numbers dictate who stays or who doesn’t.

As in, Marth is there because he’s Marth, but then cut Ike because his game sold poorly, cut Roy because “he’s a clone”, cut Corrin because “no one asked for them”, but then keep Chrom and Lucina because threatened popular.

That’s literally the dumbest thinking. Ike is one of the one unique in the game simply because he’s a heavy sword user. Roy doesn’t play anything like Marth or even Chrom. At one point I was someone who argued about sales, but those are bad and flawed arguments. There’s no valid system to compare it among the roster and it’s incredibly biased.

While I may be in the minority, a character like Edelgard, for example, would likely bring in something unique, and by the thought process of fans such as these, a character from Three Houses “deserves” a spot because it’s almost passing Awakening as the highest selling game in the series.

As I said, I would actually love Edelgard in Smash, but can understand why others wouldn’t want her. But she’s popular. She’s unique. She’s new. She’s potentially from the “highest selling” game of her franchise.

To some people, she’s an obvious pick. Idk, Smash fanbase opinions on cuts have never been anything but flawed imo.

Plus I’d argue 95% of all “most important”/ “most popular” picks are in Smash already. Characters still need gameplay to stand out among the whole.
that's dumb anyways, Ike and Roy are two of the most popular FE characters

Last edited:

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
IMO cuts aren't necessarily a bad thing. A character may be gone from the roster, but depending on the character and/or the circumstance, it wouldn't make the roster any worse.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Remember stuff like Firebrand getting in over Megaman in MvC3 or whatever.
I can understand Nemesis, Felicia or Crimson Viper as those I've seen, but Firebrand? I hardly saw complaints of him and none of them involved Megaman.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If we can avoid turning this into an argument, can you guys help me settle a debate I had with my friend?

Keeping it short and sweet, my friend dislikes WFT and PP. He thinks they were a waste of a slot and that they shouldn't be on the roster in the next game if we get cuts. I told him that I could understand why he doesn't like them, but both characters are really unique, hence why I think they should stay. He told me that it doesn't matter because basically no one uses them anyway and that we should prioritize characters based on their popularity, both inside and outside of Smash.

So whenever we get a relatively unpopular "okay, but why?" character added, wouldn't you agree that they deserve to keep their spot if they ended up being really unique, even if no one asked for them or if they rarely get used? If we absolutely had to make cuts, these two aren't where I would start.
The fact that PP is actually fairly popular aside, I can see why they think those characters may have been wastes of resources, but I think actively hoping for cuts is kind of a bad mentality.

If cuts have to happen, I think Wii Fit and Piranha Plant probably shouldn't be too high on the priority list. But that's if a cut has to happen. A game with 60 fan favorites + Wii Fit is better then a game with just 60 fan favorites.

Besides, loss aversion is a real thing. Just look at how people felt about Ice Climbers being cut even though it's always seemed like no one actually mained them. Or to point towards a more extreme example in a different game, look at the state of the Pokemon community right now. People had meltdowns over the possibility of even some "unpopular" pokemon getting cut.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I know people get up in arms whenever FE and cuts are brought up, but if I had a choice, I'd keep Corrin over Roy, and the latter over Lucina/Chrom.

I know Corrin's game was....controversial, but as a character in Smash, he's actually one of the most unique characters from the FE series. I feel like we'd be losing more if we lost him than we would with Roy, and WAY more if he was cut over Lucina/Chrom just because of their popularity.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The fact that PP is actually fairly popular aside, I can see why they think those characters may have been wastes of resources, but I think actively hoping for cuts is kind of a bad mentality.

If cuts have to happen, I think Wii Fit and Piranha Plant probably shouldn't be too high on the priority list. But that's if a cut has to happen. A game with 60 fan favorites + Wii Fit is better then a game with just 60 fan favorites.

Besides, loss aversion is a real thing. Just look at how people felt about Ice Climbers being cut even though it's always seemed like no one actually mained them. Or to point towards a more extreme example in a different game, look at the state of the Pokemon community right now. People had meltdowns over the possibility of even some "unpopular" pokemon getting cut.
People will be upset regardless of who gets cut, but I don't think it's fair to start with characters like ICs, ROB, WFT, and PP but defend YL and Pichu because they're more popular and more iconic. And that's coming from someone who likes the latter two more than all the others I listed.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I know people get up in arms whenever FE and cuts are brought up, but if I had a choice, I'd keep Corrin over Roy, and the latter over Lucina/Chrom.

I know Corrin's game was....controversial, but as a character in Smash, he's actually one of the most unique characters from the FE series. I feel like we'd be losing more if we lost him than we would with Roy, and WAY more if he was cut in over Lucina/Chrom just because of their popularity.
I don't feel like that would really be a good way to approach it tbh, Corrin might be unique, but that doesn't change Roy being far more popular

It's sort of like the stuff that went down with MvCI, people care far more about the character than their "function"

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Cuts? Blargh.

We finally have a game we don't have to discuss it lads let's not **** it up.

Pre-smash 6 is going to be really **** in regards to that. God have mercy on us.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I don't feel like that would really be a good way to approach it tbh, Corrin might be unique, but that doesn't change Roy being far more popular

It's sort of like the stuff that went down with MvCI, people care far more about the character than their "function"
Ehh... I disagree.

Yes, I'm sure people will go into an uproar if Roy got cut again, but at least they'd have three other similar options to fall back on. None of them would be a perfect match, but it's something. What would Corrin mains have? No one. Cut Corrin from the roster and those who mained him are essentially forced to find another moveset that suits them.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
None of them would be a perfect match
If you actually played Marth and Roy you'd realize what an understatement that is. Roy is meant to be the extreme opposite of Marth, even if it meant one being great in Melee and the other bad.

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Cuts? Blargh.

We finally have a game we don't have to discuss it lads let's not **** it up.

Pre-smash 6 is going to be really **** in regards to that. God have mercy on us.
For Smash my hope is that they either port ultimate and add more modes and stuff or just do like a reboot thing.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I can understand Nemesis, Felicia or Crimson Viper as those I've seen, but Firebrand? I hardly saw complaints of him and none of them involved Megaman.
Well I heard a bunch of miscellaneous complaints on places like gamefaqs or whatever, but what stuck out to me was the developer's interview that stated that Firebrand was chosen specifically for his gameplay functionality.
Firebrand is an interesting and surprising choice. Did you add him because the Gargoyle’s Quest titles are coming to the 3DS virtual console?1

Adding Firebrand in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 didn’t have anything to do with any other plans with the Ghosts ‘n Goblins series. The decision to put him in was independent of that.

We were looking for an interesting character on the Capcom side, we were thinking of using a character that could fight in the air. Since we decided on that, we thought if there is anything we could do to get some sort of monster or creature-like character. That lead us in the direction of Firebrand.

He’s a fun character. He’s not as well known as the other characters in the game, but I think if you play as him, he’s a real technical character. There’s a lot of depth to Firebrand and the more you play as him the more fun you will have.

https://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/...-choices-and-rebalancing/#hSWTgY1WmxgfxIqd.99
Also Maximilian Dood complaining that Firebrand got in over characters like Vergil and Wesker among others.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Ehh... I disagree.

Yes, I'm sure people will go into an uproar if Roy got cut again, but at least they'd have three other similar options to fall back on. None of them would be a perfect match, but it's something. What would Corrin mains have? No one. Cut Corrin from the roster and those who mained him are essentially forced to find another moveset that suits them.
They'd have three similar movesets, sure, but I don't want to play as the concept of Roy I want to play as Roy himself. Ultimately people care far more about the character than their moveset. FANG might have a really wacky and unique moveset in SFV but people still dislike him. If people dislike him, why should he be brought back for another installment? Black Panther might have claws like Wolverine, but I don't want to play as Black Panther, I want to play as Wolverine.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
AHHH!! IT LOOKS SO GOOD!!
I loved playing BFBB. Makes sense as a Banjo-Kazooie fan--has a lot of similarities. I did not expect it, nor did I even know I wanted a remake of it. And seeing it, both brings me back to my childhood, as well as being in awe of how beautiful it can look today. And it's on Switch. Seriously, the Switch has and will have... every game/character from my childhood on it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
"Functions" blew up with MvC:I for a reason.
The character comes before the moveset for many people.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Ehh... I disagree.

The fact is, people care more about the inclusion of a character more than they do with uniqueness or canon or whatever.

For example, if Roy was cut, and was replaced with say, Eliwood, and had the exact same animations, exact same voice, and exact same moves, and hell even the exact same gimmick, there would be enormous backlash since he's not the character people associate with. Even if Roy's inclusion was just an advertisement and he didn't match his personality in canon, people still fell in love with that Smash specific Roy.

It's why characters like why Smash Ganondorf fans are so opposed to him getting a new moveset, even if the old moveset could be ported to someone like Blood Falcon or Black Shadow. It isn't their Ganondorf, the one that they've grown accustomed to for near 20 years.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Hey, about battle for bikini bottom dehydrated.. do you guys think they'll get mr krabs' real va to come in this time? The one they had in the original game sounded nothing like him, same with mermaid man but I think his va passed away so the best we can hope for is a slightly better immitation.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Hey, about battle for bikini bottom dehydrated.. do you guys think they'll get mr krabs' real va to come in this time? The one they had in the original game sounded nothing like him, same with mermaid man but I think his va passed away so the best we can hope for is a slightly better immitation.
I hope so, because this definitely ain't Mr. Krabs.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I’d say it’s pretty possible for Clancy to return this time around since they’ve been pretty good with getting him back in later games. I’m not sure what they’ll do with MM and BB but I honestly think it’d be alright if they used archive recordings from the original game this time

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I’d say it’s pretty possible for Clancy to return this time around since they’ve been pretty good with getting him back in later games. I’m not sure what they’ll do with MM and BB but I honestly think it’d be alright if they used archive recordings from the original game this time
Hopefully! Also, it seems they're mainly using the old voices, so barnacle boy will be fine, I was just hoping they found a better mermaid man voice cause the old one was a different actor like Mr. Krabs and wasn't very good. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens though.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Well I heard a bunch of miscellaneous complaints on places like gamefaqs or whatever, but what stuck out to me was the developer's interview that stated that Firebrand was chosen specifically for his gameplay functionality.

Also Maximilian Dood complaining that Firebrand got in over characters like Vergil and Wesker among others.
I can vouch for this, I followed both UMvC3 and MvCi and in both cases Firebrand was a common target for 'why is this character in instead of X or Y?' It wasn't fun to read, particularly since I liked Firebrand both from his games and for his playstyle.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's why characters like why Smash Ganondorf fans are so opposed to him getting a new moveset, even if the old moveset could be ported to someone like Blood Falcon or Black Shadow. It isn't their Ganondorf, the one that they've grown accustomed to for near 20 years.
Don't know where you're finding the people who want Ganondorf to stay the same, because as far as I can tell, most people are wanting Sakurai to go even further, adding new specials and more canon attacks. And I should know, because I'm someone who wants his moveset to stay the same, but I'm always seemingly outnumbered when it's brought up.

Regardless, I'm still in the boat that says Corrin should stay over Roy. I don't think Roy will get cut because Chrom exists now, but based off Sakurai's past cuts, I'm confident that he treasures unique movesets more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom