• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

R O F L

Smash Ace
So I was wondering if there are any other Amiibo collectors here?
I used to collect the Smash series amiibo. I ended up with all but 10 Smash 4 amiibo.

Right now i'm not planning on getting any more besides K. Rool, (whenever I can find him for normal price...)

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
FNAF VR got updated today. Basically, there is a hidden button, and if you click it, a TV will turn on, but you will be met with TV static. In this new update, this appears instead.
F215E6A9-3AEC-4109-B8CE-9375B7717032.jpeg
It’s hard to see, but it’s an image of Withered Freddy and Withered Foxy, two characters that weren’t in the original game. This is probably a teaser to an update, as Scott said that he may add new content.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You know what’s super frustrating? Finding a game that would be perfect for a character in smash, only to learn that it’s actually a licensed game based on something super obscure. Franchises like Turok and The Witcher, despite being more known for the game than anything else, are completely ineligible.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Question. What if there was a first party Nintendo franchise, that didn’t start as a game. Like if Nintendo actually bought some book or movie or tv show IP. Or created one, for whatever reason. Would that first-party status override its non-game status and make it eligible for Smash?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Question. What if there was a first party Nintendo franchise, that didn’t start as a game. Like if Nintendo actually bought some book or movie or tv show IP. Or created one, for whatever reason. Would that first-party status override its non-game status and make it eligible for Smash?
I’m pretty sure the character needs to originate from a video game. Period.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
You know what’s super frustrating? Finding a game that would be perfect for a character in smash, only to learn that it’s actually a licensed game based on something super obscure. Franchises like Turok and The Witcher, despite being more known for the game than anything else, are completely ineligible.
through some strange twist of fate I knew about the Turok comic long before I heard of the games

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
At the convention I bought a complete series DVD set of Johnny Bravo. The DVD's of the movies, cartoons, anime, and TV specials the vendor was selling are technically bootlegs however what they had were never released officially (they had the Star Wars Holiday Special but there's no way on God's green Earth I would buy that absolutely piece of **** train wreck)

How's the quality of the Johnny Bravo I bought? Well, the resolution is somewhat low and clearly were recorded off the Cartoon Network channel (the channel's watermark is present). But it's still acceptable and the sound is great.

Cartoon Network did actually release the show on DVD, but they only released season 1 back in 2010 and nothing more since then.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The only way I could see an exception being made is if the franchise in question became a massively popular
video game series and almost entirely abandoned its roots.

I can't think of any examples though, so that should tell you just how unlikely it is for anything that didn't originate from a video game to get in Smash.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also for the record, I started black eagles for my next play through. It felt pretty needed after blue lions. New game plus is pretty cool though.

Used the renown feature to start with a b professor rank. That way I can farm stuff early on for different stuff down the line

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Also for the record, I started black eagles for my next play through. It felt pretty needed after blue lions. New game plus is pretty cool though.

Used the renown feature to start with a b professor rank. That way I can farm stuff early on for different stuff down the line
I'm doing the opposite of you. Finished both paths in Black Eagles, now I started a few days ago on Blue Lions for my + game. I made sure to give myself A+ rank just to get it out of the way.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Of these three anime, which should I consider binge-watching next, either Bleach, Sword Art Online, or Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V? Any suggestions?
Anything that's not Sword Art.

I'd also recommend Hunter X Hunter if you didn't watch it already. I like Bleach, but it is pretty long in the tooth.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Technically, there’s the playing cards and toys that Nintendo made before they started making video games that they could probably reference if they really wanted to, although they’re probably better suited for item / stage / AT representation. (Some of them do have game appearances due to stuff like Warioware, by the way.)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we can avoid turning this into an argument, can you guys help me settle a debate I had with my friend?

Keeping it short and sweet, my friend dislikes WFT and PP. He thinks they were a waste of a slot and that they shouldn't be on the roster in the next game if we get cuts. I told him that I could understand why he doesn't like them, but both characters are really unique, hence why I think they should stay. He told me that it doesn't matter because basically no one uses them anyway and that we should prioritize characters based on their popularity, both inside and outside of Smash.

So whenever we get a relatively unpopular "okay, but why?" character added, wouldn't you agree that they deserve to keep their spot if they ended up being really unique, even if no one asked for them or if they rarely get used? If we absolutely had to make cuts, these two aren't where I would start.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Finally unlocked :ulttoonlink:, and I have all three Links now. The real reunion I was waiting for.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If we can avoid turning this into an argument, can you guys help me settle a debate I had with my friend?

Keeping it short and sweet, my friend dislikes WFT and PP. He thinks they were a waste of a slot and that they shouldn't be on the roster in the next game if we get cuts. I told him that I could understand why he doesn't like them, but both characters are really unique, hence why I think they should stay. He told me that it doesn't matter because basically no one uses them anyway and that we should prioritize characters based on their popularity, both inside and outside of Smash.

So whenever we get a relatively unpopular "okay, but why?" character added, wouldn't you agree that they deserve to keep their spot if they ended up being really unique, even if no one asked for them or if they rarely get used? If we absolutely had to make cuts, these two aren't where I would start.
We all know Plant is here forever.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I'm doing the opposite of you. Finished both paths in Black Eagles, now I started a few days ago on Blue Lions for my + game. I made sure to give myself A+ rank just to get it out of the way.
Nice,

Blue lions is pretty good. It has a great overall theme and they seem to be pretty connected to the story overall, like black eagles. Have fun with it! Slyvian was one of my favorites that run

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Cuts in Smash are and always have been dumb.

Cutting a character you want cut doesn’t mean your most wanted or somebody else’s gets in. That’s a fallacy if I’ve ever seen one and does nothing but spite the people who learned them and did well.

While Smash doubles as a party/fighting game, imagine if after 20 years of Mario basically having a bread and butter moveset and then Sakurai just...totally changes it and alienates all players, casual or pro, who learned and mastered the character? That’s a slap in the face.

Likewise, the niche that a character fulfills, like Piranha Plant and their projectile heavy moveset, can’t be mimicked by effectively any other character. The moveset was tailor made for Plant, and for players who like to play mind games or dominate the stage. Removing that alienates fans of the character, and removes an incredibly unique aspect of the game.

Mind you, the cuts wouldn’t stop there. If there are cuts in the levels that some folks say, actual fan favorites will probably be gone. The characters that probably have the most invested time would be a target, or contract negotiations, would be gone.

If Smash only stuck to “popular choices” or ones that “people asked for” speculation wouldn’t be fun. The picks would be boring after awhile, because we’d know who was getting in. Adding in picks no one asked for or expected is good because it helps Nintendo’s bottom line, but also brings in more than just a character: a series that a player can learn more about and, potentially, fall in love with.

I don’t know, no reason to discuss cuts anyway when you’ve got several years before the next one and it will probably be inferior to Ultimate if it cuts anybody imo.

But that’s just me.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

Admittedly, I'm torn on the idea. On one hand, yeah a lot of those characters could have been in place for someone I actually give a **** about. On the other hand, it'll allow for more interesting stuff to pop up, characters you wouldn't expect and that's not too bad. That said I never use WFT because that character's not even fun to me, let alone someone cool enough to get hype for.

I feel like Non-Smash examples are the ones I get more excited for. Seeing them bring back Dudley into Street Fighter for example. Or how most people wouldn't even know Moon Knight or even Deadpool before games like X-Men Legends 2 or Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1. Even MUA3 did this with Elsa Bloodstone, a pretty obscure early 2000's Marvel hero. Getting a few weirdos here and there is fine, since it'll introduce them to the audience and give a chance to be a household name. Just as long as they don't outnumber the stuff people care about, it's fine.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Cuts in Smash are and always have been dumb.

Cutting a character you want cut doesn’t mean your most wanted or somebody else’s gets in. That’s a fallacy if I’ve ever seen one and does nothing but spite the people who learned them and did well.

While Smash doubles as a party/fighting game, imagine if after 20 years of Mario basically having a bread and butter moveset and then Sakurai just...totally changes it and alienates all players, casual or pro, who learned and mastered the character? That’s a slap in the face.

Likewise, the niche that a character fulfills, like Piranha Plant and their projectile heavy moveset, can’t be mimicked by effectively any other character. The moveset was tailor made for Plant, and for players who like to play mind games or dominate the stage. Removing that alienates fans of the character, and removes an incredibly unique aspect of the game.

Mind you, the cuts wouldn’t stop there. If there are cuts in the levels that some folks say, actual fan favorites will probably be gone. The characters that probably have the most invested time would be a target, or contract negotiations, would be gone.

I don’t know, no reason to discuss cuts anyway when you’ve got several years before the next one and it will probably be inferior to Ultimate if it cuts anybody imo.

But that’s just me.
And you kind of pointed out what I was trying to tell him. Some characters are so unique that you can't replicate them, so cutting that kind of character would leave the people who main it with no similar replacement.

Granted, I do expect cuts again in the future (and I don't think the Smash game will be inferior to Ultimate as a result of that if more modes are added). I just don't think Sakurai would cut someone over their popularity, especially if that character was very unique.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113

I don't understand why a unique character like the wii fit trainer deserves to be cut just because people didn't ask for her. Honestly I always really look forward to the really random newcomers.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
:ultrob:, while he was an accessory for video games, wasn't actually a video game character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom