• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I wonder how excited people would be for Spyro or Crash... They're fairly big gaming icons themselves, both having fairly recently reentered the spotlight with some well-received remakes. Spyro also got plenty of cheers at Nintendo's last E3 panel when a Switch port of the Reignited Trilogy was finally announced, so there's that. All that considered, I'd like to think that purple dragon would have fans pretty hyped.

I still doubt we'll ever see third-party Indies along the likes of Sans, but it'd be cool to see him or some other Undertale character as an Assist Trophy. If Shovel Knight could accomplish that, why couldn't they?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I'm still just sitting here wondering what the hell's going to be the follow up act to

:ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie:

That's such a hard act to follow.

Sure it doesn't have to try to beat it(It certainly didn't with Smash4 cough cough), but there's gotta be someone shocking enough to overthrow these two left I feel....

But who? Dunno.
Does it have to surpass those two? Smash has never been one to end on the strongest note to begin with, and even the base game of Ultimate itself started with the very highly wanted Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon, but ended with Ken and Incineroar, who (mostly the latter) before people warmed up to them got a lot of unnecessary hate. Ultimate DLC did start strong, but it doesn't have to keep one-upping itself to have a strong set of characters, you can still have the last two be exciting and fun to play without being as 'hype' as Banjo or Hero.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I wonder how excited people would be for Spyro or Crash... They're fairly big gaming icons themselves, both having fairly recently reentered the spotlight with some well-received remakes. Spyro also got plenty of cheers at Nintendo's last E3 panel when a Switch port of the Reignited Trilogy was finally announced, so there's that. All that considered, I'd like to think that purple dragon would have fans pretty hyped.

I still doubt we'll ever see third-party Indies along the likes of Sans, but it'd be cool to see him or some other Undertale character as an Assist Trophy. If Shovel Knight could accomplish that, why couldn't they?
People would probably be pretty hype for the two of them, though you'd have some complain about so many 90's 3D platformer characters. Which I would prefer a wide array of franchises as it is. We already got 2 JRPG characters, wouldn't exactly want another 2. But I also grew up with Spyro, so he's a real ***** to me.

If we're talking 2D platformers you guys know what I'm about.

Last edited:

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Not for me..my Fire Emblem Three Houses Special Edition got delayed for no particular reason..I got the amiibo for Isabelle, Red, and Pichu, but somehow it seems like Three Houses got left on the truck and had to be re-shipped..which is my only real guess since they all left at the same time and now its left from the same exact place..again..

I believe its the same way for Dragon Quest, at least musically, since its composer has a stranglehold on the music, which is why the PS4 version of DQXI has very low quality midi songs so he could make more money on the Orchestral Soundtrack as an individual release.

Don't forget the version in Spider-Gwen.
Nah, the composer for Dragon Quest is just a xenophobe who doesn't think people from the West deserve to hear his precious compositions.

Shroob

Sup?

IMO Crash would make a bigger splash than Spyro.

I adore Spyro 1-3, but Crash was the de-facto Playstation mascot in the 90's.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946

Spyro has a fanbase, but nowhere as big as the hype for Crash would be. He's had a good following, that's steadily increased overtime. I'd be pretty happy to see him.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
People would probably be pretty hype for the two of them, though you'd have some complain about so many 90's 3D platformer characters. Which I would prefer a wide array of franchises as it is. We already got 2 JRPG characters, wouldn't exactly want another 2. But I also grew up with Spyro, so he's a real ***** to me.

If we're talking 2D platformers you guys know what I'm about.
People will complain about having "too much" of anything on the roster. Sword fighters is the first example to come to mind. Heck, you could probably count the number of fighters in Smash Ultimate that aren't divisive to some extent on one hand.

To each their own in any case. I'd be stoked to see Spyro join the battle. He's one of the only third-partry newcomers I'm supporting right now.

IMO Crash would make a bigger splash than Spyro.

I adore Spyro 1-3, but Crash was the de-facto Playstation mascot in the 90's.
I didn't exist until the late 90s, but I had always been under the impression that the two of them kind of shared that spot during that period of time.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'm still just sitting here wondering what the hell's going to be the follow up act to

:ulthero: and :ultbanjokazooie:

That's such a hard act to follow.

Sure it doesn't have to try to beat it(It certainly didn't with Smash4 cough cough), but there's gotta be someone shocking enough to overthrow these two left I feel....

But who? Dunno.
I think as long as they're additions that get the fanbase hype (which isn't that hard), Nintendo doesn't care about "surpassing" what's already come. The fanbase is the one who treat reveals like some escalating buildup (to their own peril), Nintendo never does.

Spyro? In the west... yeah. Not as much as Crash, so it'd be a weird choice, but yeah. I have to imagine Japan barely knows who that character is though, I think he's only had one, maybe two botched releases there. Like twenty years ago.

I didn't exist until the late 90s, but I had always been under the impression that the two of them kind of shared that spot during that period of time.
Ehhh Spyro always played second fiddle to Crash. Sales aren't the best barometer, but fwiw, the Crash series has sold triple the Spyro series.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just want Crash’s pelvic thrust dance as a taunt
reminds me of that guy on the waluigi support thread who said waluigi shouldnt crotch chop in smash but crash was ok

#waluigiequality

StormC

Smash Hero
Quick question to the void for anyone who's listening:

In gen 4 Pokemon, if you breed a male with a Ditto, will it treat it as if you are breeding two Pokemon with the same moves? I have a male Yanma with Hidden Power, Air Slash, Bug Buzz, and Shadow Ball. If I breed it with a Ditto, will the baby have the same moves?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Quick question to the void for anyone who's listening:

In gen 4 Pokemon, if you breed a male with a Ditto, will it treat it as if you are breeding two Pokemon with the same moves? I have a male Yanma with Hidden Power, Air Slash, Bug Buzz, and Shadow Ball. If I breed it with a Ditto, will the baby have the same moves?
I can't find a source so I can't say this for certain, but based off memory I don't believe so.

Egg moves and TM moves will be passed down though. So your Yanma would hatch knowing Shadow Ball and Hidden Power, but not Air Slash or Bug Buzz.

StormC

Smash Hero
I can't find a source so I can't say this for certain, but based off memory I don't believe so.

Egg moves and TM moves will be passed down though. So your Yanma would hatch knowing Shadow Ball and Hidden Power, but not Air Slash or Bug Buzz.
But if I had two Yanmas with level up moves - Air Slash and Bug Buzz - and they bred, the baby would have them, correct?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
But if I had two Yanmas with level up moves - Air Slash and Bug Buzz - and they bred, the baby would have them, correct?
Yep, that's how that works. Just as long as they both know the moves.

Was able to find a source to confirm that this works in Gen IV.

StormC

Smash Hero
Yep, that's how that works. Just as long as they both know the moves.

Was able to find a source to confirm that this works in Gen IV.
Thanks. Really wanted to do a run in Soul Silver with a Yanma egg that already knows these moves.. I have an unhatched egg but the nature and ability aren't favorable. Might just say screw it and get a female Yanma and grind it until it's at that level - can slap an EXP share on it and run through the E4.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Anyone else find it fascinating how some people judge others based on what kind of art/product they like or don't like in a medium, be it film, music or literature?

And yet when it comes to liking or disliking certain food everyone just shrugs it off.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Nah, the composer for Dragon Quest is just a xenophobe who doesn't think people from the West deserve to hear his precious compositions.
That's what I'm talking about. He's a control freak with a stranglehold on his music for Dragon Quest (and he's more than a Xenophobe..he's also a Warcrime Denier and Anti-LGBT+ as well). He gets final say on anything relating to Dragon Quest music..which is why all versions of DQXI had horrible midi compositions (and this is from someone that almost never has issues with midis..but that game's was horrendous..thank god they are using the Orchestral Compositions for the Switch release). Whatever contract he had set up with Enix is still in effect and gives him way too much power over the series, including making it so that Square-Enix can not replace him until the day he retires or quits..thankfully his understudy is a much, MUCH better person with much better views on just about everything.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Hi guys, about the Loud House movie it's going to be on Netflix instead of cinemas.
(Sorry for the double post below.)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I do love though how reality came back to bite everyone in June.

November: "****ing hell, Verg was right. Hail Verg....yay......"

December: "LMAO THAT'S NOT A SQUARE CHARACTER VERG BTFO'd!"

June: ".......Oh....there's.........Erdrick."

The duality of Smash.
We're still waiting on that Minecraft content though.

It'd be very weird if he got wind of a Mii costume or stage all the way back in May 2018, but didn't hear a peep about Banjo.

Rizen

Smash Legend
It's 3:30 AM, I'm sitting here and someone tries to open my front door without knocking. Luckily it was locked. Probably someone trying to steal stuff. Lock your doors at night!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

It'd be very weird if he got wind of a Mii costume or stage all the way back in May 2018, but didn't hear a peep about Banjo.
The timing is very weird. I wouldn't have thought they were working on DLC that far in advance--though, Mayles from Rare did mention they were working with Nintendo for quite a while. It was Verge's initial rumors of Minecraft content that made me think a Microsoft character was in (and more specifically, B&K, since Verge only mentioned Minecraft *content*), so it would be weird if he was wrong and coincidentally a Microsoft character was in Smash. At that point, the idea of Microsoft being in Smash was a pipe dream, prior to "Better Together", GamePass rumors, exclusive titles coming to Switch. The timing is why I thought the Microsoft character *had* to be in the base game, if it was in at all, but it's looking more like DLC was being worked on much earlier than expected. Verge's rumors, plus the Rare spirits that were datamined, shows DLC characters were worked on in advance to Smash Ultimate going gold.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Well, Oppossum, who I put a lot of personal trust in, says he had heard that Microsoft rights **** was worked out all the way back around E32018 time, which actually makes a lot of sense considering that's when Vergeben originally started saying that ****.

Is it absolutely crazy that they'd have picked a DLC character THAT early in development?

Well, no, not really.

Ultimate was already in a very presentable state at that time and was only 6 months from launching. All things considered, at E32018, it was actually mostly done, this is how EVERYONE got leaked behind the scenes. Reminder, we knew the ENTIRE base roster in AUGUST via leaks, that was only 2 months after E32018, and even still that's only when Verg spilled the beans, other people knew it MUCH earlier but chose not to say anything.

Another thing to note is, after the November Direct, iirc the literal few hours/days/week after, Sakurai had said that the 5 DLC characters were already chosen, meaning that they had, IMO, most likely already secured the rights to Fighter 1-5 by that point.

Obviously, Banjo wasn't worked on THAT early, especially since we didn't have any codename in the base game implying that any work had started unlike Plant, Joker and Erdrick, but it's more than logical to assume that the rights to particular Microsoft IPs were discussed at that time. Didn't Phil Spencer specifically "Go out to lunch" with some Nintendo higher ups at that E3?

And that's another thing.

Thanks to the base game datamine, we know for a fact that yes, DLC was being worked on before the game was finished despite the myriad arguments of "Sakurai said he wouldn't!"

DLC was planned out in advance this time, and considering how quickly Sakurai said characters 1-5 were already chosen, it was more likely than not that all 5 rights had been secured as late as November.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Obviously, Banjo wasn't worked on THAT early, especially since we didn't have any codename in the base game implying that any work had started unlike Plant, Joker and Erdrick, but it's more than logical to assume that the rights to particular Microsoft IPs were discussed at that time.
I think since it's clear they were supposed to wipe the data, but missed the parts that were datamined, Banjo & Kazooie could have been in the game earlier, but was wiped cleaned (with the exception of some Rare spirits, which makes that point even more likely). It's always possible they had Rare spirits in the game before putting Banjo & Kazooie in--but I think it's very plausible they could have been in the build with Joker and Hero, it's just we're only seeing the parts that they missed removing.

Shroob

Sup?
I think since it's clear they were supposed to wipe the data, but missed the parts that were datamined, Banjo & Kazooie could have been in the game earlier, but was wiped cleaned (with the exception of some Rare spirits, which makes that point even more likely). It's always possible they had Rare spirits in the game before putting Banjo & Kazooie in--but I think it's very plausible they could have been in the build with Joker and Hero, it's just we're only seeing the parts that they missed removing.
Ah, true, I had forgotten about the Rare spirits.

While that doesn't confirm that BK ever hit the release game in testing, it definitely means BK's rights had been already negotiated since before November.

Nintendo legally couldn't have put those Spirits in otherwise due to Rare/Microsoft owning them.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Ah, true, I had forgotten about the Rare spirits.

While that doesn't confirm that BK ever hit the release game in testing, it definitely means BK's rights had been already negotiated since before November.

Nintendo legally couldn't have put those Spirits in otherwise due to Rare/Microsoft owning them.
It's quite funny looking back on that. There was enough plausible deniability where the argument was made that the Smash team "rushed them and didn't realize Nintendo didn't have the rights to them." By looking in hindsight, that was the first major leak indicating a Rare/Microsoft character was in.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The artstyle for Ultimate Spider-Man's TV show could have been dope. Not that the style they went with was bad, but this concept was more stylized.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom