• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Amazing, dude! That only took you like a day?

Also hold your horses I can only post/read so quickly.
Memes are serious. I expect you to drop any and all posts you make and give me your undivided attention. /s

Also, the port itself took two days, the animation took one.

Potato_

Smash Lord
You think that's good?

Weird Al Yankovic plays Darkseid and it's the best.

-snip-

Uh, spoilers, I guess?
This makes me think that if the show wasn't branded as teen titans and instead as it's own IP people would love it

As a dude who never watched GO but was an avid fan of the original show, I am VERY confused as to what direction they're gonna go with the crossover. I guess they're largely gonna draw from the more comedic aspects of the original to match GO? I'm still excited for it, just lost.

tbh I'm just hoping that this means more original Teen Titans

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Nah man it’s cool

I’ll just avoid starting any potential arguments by never discussing my favorite series again!
:cheep::halfsheep::emptysheep:
Kinda felt that way on Capcom-Unity back when I frequented that place.

Never, ever, ever bring up Resident Evil 5 on the RE forum unless you want the thread to collapse upon itself like a dying star.

D

Deleted member

When there’s no Kasumi models so you can’t make Kasumi memes and you only have Morgana’s SSBU model.
1561672477776.jpeg

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Appealing to Worse Problems is a logical fallacy. There's always someone who has it worse. That doesn't invalidate the complaints.

I can guarantee you that if they used the old models and explained what would have happened if they didn't much fewer people would be upset.

If GameFreak wants to act like a faceless megacorp and not communicate with the people whose money they're taking, they should be treated the same as any other faceless megacorp.
I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding where I'm coming from, but I'll outline this more blatantly. By no means am I saying the National Dex complaint is invalid. It's simply that based on the hierarchy of needs and wants, some "worse problems" are objectively more important than Pokemon. It comes down to "wants" and "needs".

Pokemon is a want, not a need. The students I teach? They, potentially, eat breakfast once every two days. Some work jobs to help their families stay afloat instead of spiraling further into poverty, and miss school in the process. Kids get beaten by their parents, or don't get the attention they need at home because their parent works two jobs. Some students can't complete my assignments at home because they don't have internet connection.

Some face discrimination on a regular basis. Some get shot and die, or have had their best friends killed.

Now, I love Pokemon. It's easily one of my favorite series, I have the National Dex currently, and am certainly disappointed by the fact that there is a good chance that I can't do it all over again. Granted, this was a reality many folks didn't want to face. The more you add, the bigger the workload, and based on scheduling, marketing, and the size of the series, it would likely happen eventually.

My biggest issue with the way some folks are complaining about it, and frankly even saying it's a "logical fallacy because someone always has it worse", is because it puts Pokemon, a media entertainment franchise, at a level with existential issues that people face. It's a false equivalency in the first place. Unless we’re actually going to entertain, the idea of the “oppressed gamer”.

Imagine this scenario. I stand at the front of class, and ask my kids, "What's on your mind today?" They say the following:

"I'm hungry because I haven't eaten since yesterday"
"I'm worried that my mom won't be able to pay the bills this month"
"I'm tired because I worked the night shift and had to come straight here"
"I hope I don't get a call home from school, or else my mom might beat me again"
(these are the types of things I've seen)

vs.

"I'm pissed that I can't get all 900+ Pokemon in one video game".

None of these complaints are invalid, you see, but to compare Pokemon, a "want", to a "need" like food, shelter, safety, affection, and others is ridiculous. To say it's equal or just as important to the first 4 because "everybody has it worse" is, in my humble opinion, a privileged take on the matter.

As a Pokemon fan, there are far worse things that could happen to somebody, and the way people are acting about it is extreme and childish period. Saying it's not what you want was fine. Advocating that the company doing this all changes it is fine, and I would encourage people to do it.

But to act as if it's armageddon and that Game Freak will have hell to pay because they didn't meet expectations, even though the game will likely be excellent anyway? Maybe it's because I'm a teacher that deals with this **** almost daily, but I think people need to experience real problems. This right here, this National Dex problem, is the definition of a "first-world" problem, if you ask me.

I realize that this reply was aimed at, "Mega corps are bad". Again, I agree that advocating for the company in question to change it is bad. But even compared to what other mega corporations, like cable companies are doing? This is beans compared to that.

O O F. “Large posted” yet again.

Clearly I need to make a post so large that not even the mods will take the time to scroll all the way down to the “edit” button.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Weird Al blesses everything he touches
Truth right there, my dear Noipoi.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
And hey, I understand the feeling of not feeling secure whenever you want to talk about a game on your favourite franchise which has an intense divisive reception on the fandom.
Because while many people enjoy to bash the Crash Of The Titans games, I personally find the DS port of the first game as an underrated gem. And it tends to get hard to defend it with people who are blocked into the mentallity of “Titans Crash=Hate without a stop”.

And if it does help, I’m still interested on Sword & Shield just for the sake of having a Gigamax Tyranitar fighting a Gigamax Hydreigon.
I also enjoy talking about my enjoyment of the Ranger trilogy and anything regarding Darkrai or Zoroark.

D

Deleted member

You think that's good?

Weird Al Yankovic plays Darkseid and it's the best.

Uh, spoilers, I guess?
Y'know, I always thought polka was actually a callous symbol of tyranny designed to subjugate humanity under the will of Darkseid.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not familiar with Teen Titans Go, but from what I've seen, is the issue that people have with it similar to Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts? (well, one of the issues - L.O.G. openly mocks people who liked the original games, saying that nobody wants that any more)

By my understanding, the series goes out of its way (at least in a few episodes) to mock the people who like the original series and want more of it, as well as older people who watch cartoons in general. (I know there was at least one episode, the Return of Slade or something like that, which was almost literally based on that premise)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Seriously, though, if y’all want any renders, let me know.

Also, staindgrey staindgrey , found something you might like. Want me to port any of these?
1561672955348.png
1561672983476.png
1561673063079.png
1561673099100.png

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Teen Titans Go is so horribly underappreciated by everyone except Cartoon Network executives, advertisers and the throngs of fans who've given it excellent ratings for five years.

So basically the loudest parts of the internet hate it. Go figure.
TTG has its moments and when those moments are good, oh boy are they good.

D

Deleted member

This may sound as an odd request...

But maybe the Skylanders Imaginators model for Crash Bandicoot?
Sadly, I do not have the Skylanders model for him, but I have Crash models from a bunch of other games, including the original! (Not his N. Sane Trilogy model, for some reason.)

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm not sure if you're misunderstanding where I'm coming from, but I'll outline this more blatantly. By no means am I saying the National Dex complaint is invalid. It's simply that based on the hierarchy of needs and wants, some "worse problems" are objectively more important than Pokemon. It comes down to "wants" and "needs".

Pokemon is a want, not a need. The students I teach? They, potentially, eat breakfast once every two days. Some work jobs to help their families stay afloat instead of spiraling further into poverty, and miss school in the process. Kids get beaten by their parents, or don't get the attention they need at home because their parent works two jobs. Some students can't complete my assignments at home because they don't have internet connection.

Some face discrimination on a regular basis. Some get shot and die, or have had their best friends killed.

Now, I love Pokemon. It's easily one of my favorite series, I have the National Dex currently, and am certainly disappointed by the fact that there is a good chance that I can't do it all over again. Granted, this was a reality many folks didn't want to face. The more you add, the bigger the workload, and based on scheduling, marketing, and the size of the series, it would likely happen eventually.

My biggest issue with the way some folks are complaining about it, and frankly even saying it's a "logical fallacy because someone always has it worse", is because it puts Pokemon, a media entertainment franchise, at a level with existential issues that people face. It's a false equivalency in the first place.

Imagine this scenario. I stand at the front of class, and ask my kids, "What's on your mind today?" They say the following:

"I'm hungry because I haven't eaten since yesterday"
"I'm worried that my mom won't be able to pay the bills this month"
"I'm tired because I worked the night shift and had to come straight here"
"I hope I don't get a call home from school, or else my mom might beat me again"
(these are the types of things I've seen)

vs.

"I'm pissed that I can't get all 900+ Pokemon in one video game".

None of these complaints are invalid, you see, but to compare Pokemon, a "want", to a "need" like food, shelter, safety, affection, and others is ridiculous. To say it's equal or just as important to the first 4 because "everybody has it worse" is, in my humble opinion, a privileged take on the matter.

As a Pokemon fan, there are far worse things that could happen to somebody, and the way people are acting about it is extreme and childish period. Saying it's not what you want was fine. Advocating that the company doing this all changes it is fine, and I would encourage people to do it.

But to act as if it's armageddon and that Game Freak will have hell to pay because they didn't meet expectations, even though the game will likely be excellent anyway? Maybe it's because I'm a teacher that deals with this **** almost daily, but I think people need to experience real problems. This right here, this National Dex problem, is the definition of a "first-world" problem, if you ask me.

I realize that this reply was aimed at, "Mega corps are bad". Again, I agree that advocating for the company in question to change it is bad. But even compared to what other mega corporations, like cable companies are doing? This is beans compared to that.
When dealing with nonessential things like entertainment though, I feel that you have to separate it entirely from worse problems like you've described or else there can be no argument. One-upping outlined grievances toward a media franchise on the basis that it's just a media franchise brings into question why we even have expectations in the first place.

Regarding Pokemon specifically, I personally feel that the argument for a National Dex and the assumptions being made about how game design works are terribly misguided and borne of ignorance. But I also feel that fans have every right to be upset about decisions made that directly affect them as fans and consumers. There is a line between heartfelt criticism and disproportionate whining-- which I think is what you're getting at-- but what's even the purpose of a forum like this if we can't freely discuss these sorts of criticisms without being reminded that "it's just a game" and there's someone somewhere who can't afford to play it so be content with what you have?

While I'm out of the loop on Pokemon, I have similar feelings about Bioware. They've created some of the most influential games of my life. I treasure those creations. But starting with how they chose to end Mass Effect 3, everything has gone downhill. They ****ed up my perception of my favorite sci-fi series, then fed me a poorly made fan fiction-esque followup five years later. They took my favorite RPG of all time in Dragon Age II, stripped it of everything I loved about it including my player character, retooled the game as a sandbox overworld mass produced Stuff To Do MMO-lite and now seem to be going further down that path for the next one. And they released Anthem, which I don't even want to get into. One of my greatest loves in gaming has simmered into a nostalgic ex instead, and it sucks. I wish it were different, and I want to state as such where people can hear me.

I'm well aware how much of a first world problem that is and how I'm airing my grievances from a position in which I hold a job, have a house, feed myself every day, etc. But the fact that I'm living well doesn't invalidate my opinions on a nonessential hobby that's important to me.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
When dealing with nonessential things like entertainment though, I feel that you have to separate it entirely from worse problems like you've described or else there can be no argument. One-upping outlined grievances toward a media franchise on the basis that it's just a media franchise brings into question why we even have expectations in the first place.

Regarding Pokemon specifically, I personally feel that the argument for a National Dex and the assumptions being made about how game design works are terribly misguided and borne of ignorance. But I also feel that fans have every right to be upset about decisions made that directly affect them as fans and consumers. There is a line between heartfelt criticism and disproportionate whining-- which I think is what you're getting at-- but what's even the purpose of a forum like this if we can't freely discuss these sorts of criticisms without being reminded that "it's just a game" and there's someone somewhere who can't afford to play it so be content with what you have?

While I'm out of the loop on Pokemon, I have similar feelings about Bioware. They've created some of the most influential games of my life. I treasure those creations. But starting with how they chose to end Mass Effect 3, everything has gone downhill. They ****ed up my perception of my favorite sci-fi series, then fed me a poorly made fan fiction-esque followup five years later. They took my favorite RPG of all time in Dragon Age II, stripped it of everything I loved about it including my player character, retooled the game as a sandbox overworld mass produced Stuff To Do MMO-lite and now seem to be going further down that path for the next one. And they released Anthem, which I don't even want to get into. One of my greatest loves in gaming has simmered into a nostalgic ex instead, and it sucks. I wish it were different, and I want to state as such where people can hear me.

I'm well aware how much of a first world problem that is and how I'm airing my grievances from a position in which I hold a job, have a house, feed myself every day, etc. But the fact that I'm living well doesn't invalidate my opinions on a nonessential hobby that's important to me.
And that’s 100%, absolutely valid. I totally agree, and find it fully reasonable to be frustrated with the National Dex issue, which I why I think folks should still, politely, push for it.

The difference is that not everyone frustrated by it views it the way you or I do. People are treating it as if it’s the end of the world.

It’s not. Not even close.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
And that’s 100%, absolutely valid. I totally agree, and find it fully reasonable to be frustrated with the National Dex.

The difference is that not everyone frustrated by it views it the way you do. People are treating it as if it’s the end of the world.

It’s not. Not even close.
I've been 14 before. When your world is exceptionally small and your scope is even smaller, it can feel like it's the end of the world.

They'll learn. Or they won't. That's up to them.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Seriously, though, if y’all want any renders, let me know.

Also, staindgrey staindgrey , found something you might like. Want me to port any of these?
**** yeah, dude.

The OG and RE3 Jills are the best. I actually find it surprising how popular her alternate costume from RE1 (the commando with orange shades) has gotten recently. Like, no one ever cared about that before. But I'm starting to see it more and more recently.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, fan-demand does actually hold importance on market as a whole.

On an industry with an offer-demand model, companies have to balance their products with the requests from their main consumers to secure as much profit as possible.
I learnt this as a Crash fan, since the main reason behind why Activision currently treats the franchise so well is because money grows for them when they do so. If N.Sane Trilogy didn’t succeed as much as it did, Crash would be in the dark again.
Based on examples such as this one, we can say that the videogame industry needs to put ears on the interest from the consumers since the more pleased they are, the more money they ingress to the companies.

Now, is it better from the consumer’s side to share their requests and/or demands to the companies in a way that doesn’t become irritating or stressful? Yes, and thankfully that’s how it went with Crash.
I honestly wouldn’t mind to see Game Freak adding the whole Pokémon list to Sword & Shield through an update (or pull what they did back on Gen 3 and remake Gen 4 with all of them back if the former can’t happen), since more content can always be cool. However, there are ways to express the demand... And I think that some groups should currently have another take on that to express their concerns, since some people are starting to remind me of the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut people.

Tl;dr: It is good from the consumer’s part to share concerns, but all of us should always try to do so in the most peaceful and balanced way as possible.
I agree with the points you shared, and I just wanted to add some extra thoughts to them.

D

Deleted member

**** yeah, dude.

The OG and RE3 Jills are the best. I actually find it surprising how popular her alternate costume from RE1 (the commando with orange shades) has gotten recently. Like, no one ever cared about that before. But I'm starting to see it more and more recently.
Which would you like? I have those and her Marvel Vs. Capcom model.

Also, @JDCabrera you still want an Crash image, and if so which model?

D

Deleted member

Watching Vinny play crash team racing makes me glad I didnt even get the game
I honestly enjoy the game a lot, although maybe since I love Crash a lot.

I do however respect you and understand the decission, since maybe it isn’t your kind of game.

Which would you like? I have those and her Marvel Vs. Capcom model.

Also, @JDCabrera you still want an Crash image, and if so which model?
Maybe the Twinsanity model?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I honestly enjoy the game a lot, although maybe since I love Crash a lot.

I do however respect you and understand the decission, since maybe it isn’t your kind of game.

Maybe the Twinsanity model?
Eyyy, I have that one!
I’ll hop to it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Honestly, fan-demand does actually hold importance on market as a whole.

On an industry with an offer-demand model, companies have to balance their products with the requests from their main consumers to secure as much profit as possible.
I learnt this as a Crash fan, since the main reason behind why Activision currently treats the franchise so well is because money grows for them when they do so. If N.Sane Trilogy didn’t succeed as much as it did, Crash would be in the dark again.
Based on examples such as this one, we can say that the videogame industry needs to put ears on the interest from the consumers since the more pleased they are, the more money they ingress to the companies.

Now, is it better from the consumer’s side to share their requests and/or demands to the companies in a way that doesn’t become irritating or stressful? Yes, and thankfully that’s how it went with Crash.
I honestly wouldn’t mind to see Game Freak adding the whole Pokémon list to Sword & Shield through an update (or pull what they did back on Gen 3 and remake Gen 4 with all of them back if the former can’t happen), since more content can always be cool. However, there are ways to express the demand... And I think that some groups should currently have another take on that to express their concerns, since some people are starting to remind me of the #ReleaseTheSnyderCut people.

Tl;dr: It is good from the consumer’s part to share concerns, but all of us should always try to do so in the most peaceful and balanced way as possible.
I agree with the points you shared, and I just wanted to add some extra thoughts to them.
Very smartly written. :) Agreed 100%.

But there's a market trend that doesn't necessarily fall into that explanation: Microtransactions.

Extraneous variables aside-- like Star Wars Battlefront 2-- there seems to be a large disconnect between people being upset about microtransactions and people still buying microtransactions. All the tweets and petitions in the world won't stop a company from implementing in-game revenue builders if people are still buying them.

Personally, I think this age of games-as-a-service and microtransaction-heavy games will age extremely poorly. We're pushing through an era where creative purpose has to be squeezed into something that generates a new revenue stream, and returning to these games after the servers have closed and half the content isn't even available anymore will be a shell of the intended experience.

When I turn on my Sega Saturn and put my disc in, I'm experiencing the exact same game I would have in 1996. There are fewer and fewer games released in the 2010s about which I can say the same. But my and others' complaints fall on deaf ears, so long as people continue eating up the concept of games-as-a-service.

Wallets will always speak louder than tweets.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
As someone who's been watching the show since the beginning, TTG is one of the most mixed bags you will ever see. Some episodes are intentionally hatable and unlikable, while others are fun, entertaining, and even smart.
I'm not familiar with Teen Titans Go, but from what I've seen, is the issue that people have with it similar to Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts?

By my understanding, the series goes out of its way (at least in a few episodes) to mock the people who like the original series and want more of it, as well as older people who watch cartoons in general. (I know there was at least one episode, the Return of Slade or something like that, which was almost literally based on that premise)
It makes sure to mock fans of the original every once in a while. Other than Return of Slade, here's another example (skip to 1:25):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom