• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
It's also the birthplace of freedom of speech.

Seriously though, living in America is a great privilege. Setting politics aside, you're pretty lucky compared to the rest of the world.
America has some of the worst standard of living and economic disparity of any first world countries. It's not really that awesome.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Patriotism doesn't have to be about thinking your country is perfect. It can be about wanting your country to be better. The US is a massive place with an incredible variety of people - there's tons of things that suck but there's tons of things that you can appreciate to.

If someone doesn't want to celebrate it, I'm fine with that. I can understand why someone might not want to, and it's their choice to do as they wish.

As for me though? Well, I work today, and I'm not really into fireworks and partying...but I'm an optimistic who thinks America has the potential to be an awesome place. I'll show my support through memes.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
America has some of the worst standard of living and economic disparity of any first world countries. It's not really that awesome.
And yet America gets more immigrants than any other country in the world. So much in fact that you could add the countries with the second-most and third-most immigrants and it wouldn't even make up half of what America has. Those aren't the numbers of a country who people consider to be "not really that awesome".

America isn't perfect, but honestly, what country is? I can't say I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to the countries outside my own, but I can at least say with confidence that America is one of the better first-world countries you could live in, if not one of the best.

Another 4th of July, another heated debate brewing.

I was here for this last year, it didn't end well :yoshi:
And I know I'd probably be in the middle of it, which is why I'll probably avoid getting online much tomorrow.

I just wish people who live in America would be a little more patriotic and grateful. It ain't perfect, but surely you can find something about your country to be proud of. There's no need to be a wet match and point out every terrible thing about America on the day that's celebrated for the exact purpose of remembering all the good America has accomplished.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
And yet America gets more immigrants than any other country in the world. So much in fact that you could add the countries with the second-most and third-most immigrants and it wouldn't even make up half of what America has. Those aren't the numbers of a country who people consider to be "not really that awesome".
I'm pretty sure they're going to America because "not really that awesome" is better than "Gangs will murder my wife and children if I stay"

D

Deleted member

Patriotism doesn't have to be about thinking your country is perfect. It can be about wanting your country to be better. The US is a massive place with an incredible variety of people - there's tons of things that suck but there's tons of things that you can appreciate to.

If someone doesn't want to celebrate it, I'm fine with that. I can understand why someone might not want to, and it's their choice to do as they wish.

As for me though? Well, I work today, and I'm not really into fireworks and partying...but I'm an optimistic who thinks America has the potential to be an awesome place. I'll show my support through memes.
Why are you all so blind?
I mean, the U.S. government literally uses concentration camps to harass immigrants.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero

America isn't perfect, but honestly, what country is? I can't say I'm very knowledgeable when it comes to the countries outside my own, but I can at least say with confidence that America is one of the better first-world countries you could live in, if not one of the best.

And I know I'd probably be in the middle of it, which is why I'll probably avoid getting online much tomorrow.

I just wish people who live in America would be a little more patriotic and grateful. It ain't perfect, but surely you can find something about your country to be proud of. There's no need to be a wet match and point out every terrible thing about America on the day that's celebrated for the exact purpose of remembering all the good America has accomplished.
People immigrate to America for a lot of reasons, one of which being many countries south to the border are filled with crises and conflicts (many of which we have had a hand in creating). There's also the image of the "American dream" which is a big piece of propaganda spread across the world through our media which is consumed in virtually every country.

If you want stats, America is ranked 17th in quality of life here, America has the highest rate of incarceration of any country in the world, and I don't think I need to mention mass shootings in America. While there are probably some positive stats for America... other countries' failings don't excuse our own.

People don't need to be patriotic, especially not when they are unhappy with the direction of the country. Our goals and obligations in society should be to each other, not the places we are born and governments that rule over us. All humans should be helping each other and all governments should serve the people before all else. Why do I need to be "patriotic" to a government founded on genocide, built by slaves, and sustained by imperialism?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

:ultsnake:"Colonel, this thread didn't say right who are the patriots. Should we take action?"

D

Deleted member

We do get the most immigrants, but our government treats the immigrants like trash. I mean, they have concentration camps. The U.S. government does not support immigration at all, and they have been oppressing immigrants for a century. The U.S. government is terrible. Read a book and learn history before you mindlessly celebrate a country.
Listen. The U.S. government doesn't care about you at all. Most of them are there only for money.
Also, how can I be grateful for a country that has been racist for over a century and is still racist?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Patriotism doesn't have to be about your government. It's just the support of your country. It could be the people, culture, nature, ect. Jazz music came from America. As well as a number of inventions. Not to mention movies, books, tv shows, video games (including Metroid Prime), ect. Should we hate all of those things to?

As a young kid my parents would often take me and my sisters to national parks. I have a huge appreciation for natural and I feel like visiting places the The Grand Canyon or Zion National Park were a part of that.

Not to mention most people I've ever personally known or cared about were American. That's a pretty good reason to care about this place to me.

Again if someone doesn't want to celebrate that's cool with me. I'm not going to try to guilt anyone into celebrating. But appreciating the good doesn't have to go hand-in-hand with denying that bad.
I mean, the U.S government literally uses concentration camps to harass immigrants.
I'm not going to defend that.
I can like some aspects of the country without liking the government.

Likewise I'm not going to say I hate all Americans because I dislike the president.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm pretty sure they're going to America because "not really that awesome" is better than "Gangs will murder my wife and children if I stay"
That might be the case for the people living in poor countries in North and South America, but that doesn't explain why a majority of immigrants who live overseas are traveling such a long distance. There are plenty of closer countries in Europe and Asia that are capable of protecting and providing for immigrants, yet a lot of these immigrants choose to come to America anyway.

You're making it sound like America is the only option for these people. It's not.

People immigrate to America for a lot of reasons, one of which being many countries south to the border are filled with crises and conflicts (many of which we have had a hand in creating). There's also the image of the "American dream" which is a big piece of propaganda spread across the world through our media which is consumed in virtually every country.

If you want stats, America is ranked 17th in quality of life here, America has the highest rate of incarceration of any country in the world, and I don't think I need to mention mass shootings in America. While there are probably some positive stats for America... other countries' failings don't excuse our own.

People don't need to be patriotic, especially not when they are unhappy with the direction of the country. Our goals and obligations in society should be to each other, not the places we are born and governments that rule over us. All humans should be helping each other and all governments should serve the people before all else. Why do I need to be "patriotic" to a government founded on genocide, built by slaves, and sustained by imperialism?
The stuff you're getting into is veering into a discussion of politics, and I'd rather avoid that.

Different people have different reasons for why those numbers are like they are, and I'm sure what you'd do to solve the problem is very different from how I'd approach it.

D

Deleted member

I'm not going to defend that.
I can like some aspects of the country without liking the government.

Likewise I'm not going to say I hate all Americans because I dislike the president.
How can you even like this country at all? It's not just the government what makes the U.S. garbage. There are a ton of negative things that lurk within the U.S.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm not American but if I lived there, I'd be grateful for it.

Much like how I spend my Australia Day, I celebrate the good things rather than all the **** that's gone on or still occurs.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Happy 4th of July u tea throwing traitors

May the Queen bring a curse to ur crops and a blight to ur burgers

:mad:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
How can you even like this country at all? It's not just the government what makes the U.S. garbage. There are a ton of negative things that lurk within the U.S.
Now you're just being overdramatic.

Every country has it's problems, and America is no different. That being said, you can't ignore everything positive about a country just because of it's imperfections. If you acted that way about every country, you'd never find a place you'd like.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I already explained what I love.

Perhaps it's naive of me to try to look past the bad of something every now and then, but if you judged every group by its absolute worst parts you'll just end up hating everything. I'd rather live optimistic that America has the potential to be a great place then live despising everything about the world I grew up in.

D

Deleted member

That might be the case for the people living in poor countries in North and South America, but that doesn't explain why a majority of immigrants who live overseas are traveling such a long distance. There are plenty of closer countries in Europe and Asia that are capable of protecting and providing for immigrants, yet a lot of these immigrants choose to come to America anyway.

You're making it sound like America is the only option for these people. It's not.
Well just because there are other countries doesn't make the U.S. a shining country.
Yes, immigrants tend to come to the U.S.
That doesn't excuse the U.S. from being a corrupt country though. As Storm said, there are a ton of reasons that immigrants come to the U.S. It's got jobs and houses and stuff like that.
Now you're just being overdramatic.

Every country has it's problems, and America is no different. That being said, you can't ignore everything positive about a country just because of it's imperfections. If you acted that way about every country, you'd never find a place you'd like.
So what you're saying is it's okay to praise a country even if they do terrible stuff like persecute immigrants and oppress trans people?
That is not okay. At all.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Oh hey, it's June 4.

Remember to shake hand with the president.

I know it's president of the world and not America, but come on, it's kinda of the same, right?:yeahboi:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
So what you're saying is it's okay to praise a country even if they do terrible stuff like persecute immigrants and oppress trans people?
We'd probably never be praising any country if that were the case.

I think ZephyrZ ZephyrZ says something good here.
I'd rather live optimistic that America has the potential to be a great place
Have some optimism that things will get better. It's already come along way. Some rough patches now doesn't mean all progress will stop.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Just imagine if on Cinco De Mayo everyone got angry with everything wrong with Mexico.
Okay yeah I know it's not exactly Mexico's 4th of July equivalent but come on, we all get to talk about how much we love tacos and horchata on that day so why can't we just talk about hamburgers right now huh?
So what you're saying is it's okay to praise a country even if they do stuff like persecute immigrants and oppress trans people?
You'll find there's many people in this country who don't try to persecute immigrants or oppress trans people. It's more complicated then that.

But this isn't really the place to be discussing politics so I'll be dipping out before we all get in trouble I guess.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm saying it's okay to acknowledge the good. Yes, there's plenty of bad, but there's also a lot of good too. Might as well spend a day sharing the optimism and thankfulness you have for your country with others instead of repeating the same negative, hopelessness attitude we can get any other day of the year.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I have a question, what's your favorite planet and moon in our Sol System? (Dwarf planets are allowed)
My favorite planets are Saturn and Pluto with Charon and Titan as my favourite moons

D

Deleted member

I have a question, what's your favorite planet and moon in our Sol System? (Dwarf planets are allowed)
My favorite planets are Saturn and Pluto with Charon and Titan as my favourite moons
Hard question. I like all of the planets and moons. They all portray a cool story within them.
Io has lava volcanoes that can shoot up like over two hundred miles and it's really cool.
Saturn is also fun. It is less dense than water.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Hard question. I like all of the planets and moons. They all portray a cool story within them.
Io has lava volcanoes that can shoot up like over two hundred miles and it's really cool.
Saturn is also fun. It is less dense than water.
I agree with that, imagine a open world Kirby game exploring the entire Solar System, being as Kirby on the Warp Star gliding above Saturn's rings would be epic or seeing Pluto from Charon!

I would name it "Kirby: Beyond Worlds" (Spinoff instead of main game)

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Venus for planets and Io for moons.

I've heard the Earth is not bad, but I need to see it with my own eyes.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
KMDP KMDP
I played your Forest course, and that was fun!
"Cold Hard Crash" I have yet to do.
Thanks, Shiny. :D

And a happy 4th of July to all of you from a Brit who doesn't celebrate it and has no reason to.
----------------------
On an unrelated note, the Grand Prix in CTR:NF is great. The Nitro Squad are great, the new level is great.

I'm pretty happy with Nitro-Fueled, anything negative I have to say about it is a minor niggle at best.

Also I'm ranked 58th out of 54859th on one of the two Leaderboards, if I keep up this pace I'll almost certainly get the Champion Kart, which is great because that Kart looks cool as hell. In order to get the Kart you have to be in the Top 5 Percent or, as it currently stands, at least 2742nd.

I'm pretty good at CTR.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Planet? Probably Neptune, though Saturn's ring system is cool
Don't know enough about moons to comment

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Happy 4th to my fellow Americans. It appears that I missed a whole political duscussion, thank God.
Mars. I do quite enjoy all the research that's put into it, as well as the new discoveries.

In terms of moons, idk, but I can say I am curious on what's out of this galaxy.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Happy America day y'all! Wishing y'all a good day and some good fireworks.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
No wonder why I pretty much always use Diglett/Dugtrio in Gen I. When they become available they're the highest level wild Pokemon around.

But I'm still going to use Pokemon I don't normally use.

Currently my team is Charmeleon, Nidoqueen, Fearow, Gloom and Drowzee.

Not sure if I'll stick with Drowzee since it's much lower levelled than the others but we'll see.

EDIT: For reference, my last Gen I team ended up being Venusaur, Gyarados, Ninetales, Pidgeot, Dugtrio and Raichu.

Last edited:

ZaneHitsurugi

Smash Ace
Admin said to move/drop the topic
I mean, the U.S. government literally uses concentration camps to harass immigrants.
Do you not understand what these facilities are or why they are in the state that they are? These are not concentration camps (yeah, you wanna use this for the trump/hitler comparison haha youre so clever)
The first thing that these people are doing is breaking the ****ing law to get into the country, they have to be detained somewhere. The border is OVERRUN. There are way too many illegal immigrants coming in. What the **** are we supposed to do? Not detain them. This combined with the lack of funding for border control only made the situation worse.
How the **** are immigrants being "oppressed"? Because they have to be detained and not just allowed to walk over and wander through the country???? Sit down with that **** dog for real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom