• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'll join in the tier list.

S: :ultbanjokazooie:
A: :ultkrool::ultjoker:
B: :ulthero::ultridley::ultinkling:
C: :ultsimon::ultdaisy::ultincineroar:
D: :ultken::ultrichter::ultisabelle::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
F: :ultpiranha:

I was fairly disappointed with the base newcomers--either being expected, not that special, redundant, or characters I didn't like at all. DLC has been all great picks so far (for the Fighter's Pass). It's hard to satisfy everyone, particularly with a more limited roster, and so I'm glad DLC not only has had some great picks, but my dream pick as well.

BZocky

Smash Ace
alright now that the dust has settled here's my ultra meta overall newcomer quality ranking for every Smash game along with the best newcomer from each one (definitive)
S:Brawl :warioc:
A:64 :dk64:
B:Ultimate:ultbanjokazooie:
C:Melee :icsmelee:
D:4 :4littlemac:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Considering how few unique newcomers they could add to the base roster, I'd say they did a pretty damn good job. Inkling, Simon Belmont, King K. Rool, and Ridley were all fantastic additions. While I could understand being less impressed with Isabelle being a semi-clone and Incineroar being the obligatory capitalism Pokemon, I really think some fans overreacted to the last Smash Direct. Obviously tastes are subjective, but I think Sakurai did about as good of a job as he could adding both new and classic characters with the handful he could make.

The Fighters Pass is kind of crazy and if you want more first party characters you probably won't be too happy of a camper. But Persona and Banjo were the last of my favorite video game franchises not yet in Smash, so. Can't stop winning.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I'll just rank my hype for the last two games and this one.
Smash 4 (Base)
HYPE: :4megaman::rosalina::4lucina::4corrinf::4robinf::4palutena::4darkpit:
Cool: :4wiifit::4shulk::4greninja::4littlemac::4wendy::4roy::4ludwig::4larry::4morton::4lemmy::4iggy::4duckhunt::4villager::4pacman::4miisword::4miibrawl::4miigun:
Meh..: :4bowserjr:

Smash 4 (DLC)
HYPE: :4cloud::4bayonetta::4ryu:

Smash Ultimate (Base)
HYPE: :ultdaisy::ultinkling::ultrichter::ultken::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultridley:
Cool: :ultchrom::ultsimon::ultdarksamus::ultincineroar:

Smash Ultimate (DLC...So Far)
HYPE: :ultjoker::ultbanjokazooie::ulthero:
Cool: :ultpiranha:

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Avatar: The Last Airbender. It’s a masterpiece in every sense of the word.
Agreed! I love that show. It's potentially one of my top 10 favorite shows of all time at the moment. But I need to re-organize that list as well.

I don't remember Sonic Generations sucking this bad.
Generations is a pretty good game. The levels are a little short (in both the console and 3ds version) but they're still remixed well from past games and Sonic is easy to control.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
We doing best of every Smash game now? Alright

S: Brawl :warioc:
A: Ultimate :ultridley:
B: 4 :4cloud:
C: 64 :samus64:
D: Melee :ganondorfmelee:

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Andway, for best of every Smash game:
64: Wasn't alive but Luigi
Melee: Wasn't alive but Mr. Game and Watch
Brawl: Pokemon Trainer
Smash 4: Villager
Ult: Inkling.

As for least cared:
64: Yoshi
Melee: Dr. Mario
Brawl: This one's hard, but I guess Wolf. R.O.B. was at least cool in Subspace
Smash 4: Corrin, otherwise, Lucina
Ult: Daisy and Chrom, for DLC, Banjo

cothero

Smash Lord
Everything's too quiet. No credited leaker knows, heard or have any idea of who the two final DLC characters are going to be, It's like they haven't even been decided yet.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Everything's too quiet. No credited leaker knows, heard or have any idea of who the two final DLC characters are going to be, It's like they haven't even been decided yet.
It's possible someone has an idea, but it's not been verified enough as of yet to leak.

Banjo was only mentioned around E3 to the public. Whether that was intentional or due to being very tight lipped internally is a mystery to me, though.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
According to leaks (including images and a couple of gifs) and a dataminer, the Superballs power up from Super Mario Land will be in the SMB1 theme.

edit: welp apparently someone actually uploaded gameplay of this, but it seems like something that wasn't intended to be known yet.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's hard for me to rank the games. Smash is one of those unique games, for better or for worse, that--always feels the same. So, instead, I'll say what my favorite aspect of the game and newcomer of it, in no particular order.

64: Best novel concept--a crossover of Nintendo franchises. :ultkirby: or :ultness:
Melee: No opinion--my parents never got me a Gamecube, and the previews of the games seemed lackluster to me as a kid, so I didn't care. :ultmewtwo:
Brawl: Best theme and best single player experience--not perfect, which is why I was hoping for a perfected version (I could do without many CGI cutscenes if that helped, just a platforming adventure of various franchises with battles in between). :ultsonic::ultpokemontrainer:
Wii U: Best newcomers, including two big gaming icons, the Koopalings which were 8 characters in one, and Mii Fighters so you could technically play as whoever you wanted. Also the best character trailers, even compared to Ultimate. :ultmegaman::ultpacman:
Ultimate: Best overall roster, best QOL changes. Also my dream pick is now in after 20 years of waiting. Feels complete. :ultbanjokazooie:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'll skip Smash 64 and Melee since I wasn't really into "Smash speculation" for those...

...but top 5 newcomers for each game after that:

Brawl: :diddy::dedede::metaknight::sonic::wolf:
4: :4cloud::4megaman::4palutena::4greninja::rosalina:
Ultimate: :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie::ultridley::ultjoker::ultincineroar:

64: Wasn't alive but Luigi
Melee: Wasn't alive but Mr. Game and Watch
...yeah, I'm too old to be posting on this site anymore.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
M'kay. Here's my list of most hype characters by game. Feel free to point out how my opinions are wrong and bad.

64: :pikachu64:/:ness64: - I wasn't even old enough to pick up a controller back then, but it's incredible how either of these franchises got in Smash to begin with.

Melee: :mewtwomelee: - a fan favorite who I didn't expect at all. Really wanted him after that first movie, but I didn't think it'd happen.

Brawl: :pt:/:dedede: - Really liked PT's gimmick, and I had almost given up on Dedede after MK, so he was a huge surprise.

Smash 4: :rosalina: - Surprise, surprise, the guy with the Rosalina pic likes Rosalina. There's actually a fun little story behind this one. I jokingly drew a picture of both Rosalina and Luma on Miiverse and suggested that they could both get in as a single fighter. No one took me seriously, and I knew deep down that they were too new to get in Smash. Imagine how surprised (and mildly freaked out) I was to see not only Rosalina, but Luma get in Smash 4 as a newcomer. If there was ever a more obvious sign for me to main a character...

Ultimate: :ultridley: - What can I say? This guy was dragged through the mud by so many detractors it wasn't even funny. Even Sakurai himself made it seem like he was impossible. Ridley in Smash has got to be the dictionary definition of poetic justice.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Favorite newcomers for each game, huh? The mains listed below my profile pretty much answers most of them except for Ultimate, but might as well

64: :pikachu64:
Melee: :zeldamelee::mewtwomelee::pichumelee:
Brawl: :sonic:
4: :rosalina::4corrinf:
Ultimate: :ultjoker::ultincineroar: (Haven't actually played ultimate yet since I currently lack a switch. That being said, Incineroar and Joker were the newcomers I've been the most hyped for)

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Generations is a pretty good game. The levels are a little short (in both the console and 3ds version) but they're still remixed well from past games and Sonic is easy to control.
My comment's a little out of context. I'm watching Knuckles Channel 3 & Knuckles stream the game and his opinion of it is literally lowering as he's playing. I legit forgot how bad Classic Sonic is but it's the same type of problems I had. Him, Ace and I are also talking about the Boost formula in general.
Oh? How so?
Basically janky physics and stiff/heavy jumps from Classic making precision platforming extremely unreliable not to mention the levels are boring as hell. Modern Sonic is stiff and controls like a tank especially in platforming sections of the levels not to mention the very minimal input required by the gameplay style leading to a shallow experience.

You've heard of the fan term "boost to win" right? It is and has always been an exaggeration, but it points to a very real problem with the Boost Formula, that large stretches of the levels are designed to essentially play themselves or require only minimal input. There are a number of videos out there of people literally playing levels one-handed, not even needing to touch the control stick, where the majority of the level plays out almost identically to a normal run, even getting high rankings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_sn-tzO5YU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5Cn9Ra1kwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEa6_csfzeg

And while that's not possible in every level, that's just showing off the problem at its worst; those sorts of areas exist all throughout the Boost games. The games simply aren't designed around freedom of movement; they're designed around specific, strictly defined paths and the player making strictly defined actions to keep the spectacle going.

Ace sums it up.

This is the reason I haven't played Generations in a few years. It bored the living hell out of me.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
They say that Tiny Tiger is voiced by John DiMaggio in CTR: NF but I swear he sounds way more like the guy who voiced TF2's Heavy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom