• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Finally finished the Shield Hero anime. It's solid enough, I love the animation, but was ultimately disappointing as a fan of the LN's. So much was lost with bad pacing & playing it safe with increased isekai tropes.

If there is another Season (which I do hope happens) I'm curious to see how it moves forward as that ending killed a lot of important elements or threw in later plot elements without explanation. The changed (Crunchyroll error?) the localized name of a main character in the Season finale, so I'm curious if the 7 month delay on the next English volume has to do with a re-localization?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Glad to know I make people on this site feel old.

Remember, not everyone was born in the 1900s. I mean, the start of the 90s is almost 30 years ago.
ok baby boy, small child.

innocent oblivious creacher

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Since everyone else is doing it, I will too. My favorite newcomers from each Smash Bros. game.
64: :link64::luigi64::pikachu64:
Melee: :zeldamelee::peachmelee::roymelee::marthmelee::younglinkmelee::pichumelee::mewtwomelee::bowsermelee:
Brawl: :sonic::warioc::zerosuitsamus::diddy::pit:
Wii U/3DS: :4cloud::4lucina::rosalina::4corrinf::4megaman::4bayonetta:
Ultimate: :ultjoker::ultdaisy::ultbanjokazooie::ultrichter:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I can't really say for sure what got me the most hype when it comes to Smash. There have been so many moments where I can remember my exact reaction, or what I did that same day, or how old I was.

I didn't speculate at all for Smash 64, Melee, or Brawl for that matter. I was kind of a loner in terms of Smash speculating, until I was a junior or senior and had friends over every Tuesday night for Smash night (amazing times with that ****). But when I was a freshman, I believe, I checked online daily for leaks of Sonic in Smash. I checked the Dojo every morning on my moms laptop.

One morning, Sonic had a smug grin on his face and he was staring back at me as I viewed the Smash Dojo. I watched that trailer what seemed like one million different times. I hardly play Sonic now, but at one point he was far and away my most wanted.

Shulk was easily one of my most wanted for Smash 4. I specifically remember him being an underdog pick for quite a bit of the speculation. Really, I wanted Palutena, Little Mac, Pac-Man...Chrom. But Shulk was my most wanted, by far. I was in class in college one day, early in the day. I turned on a computer, and saw a picture of Shulk that I thought was just a generic picture. But once I looked more into it, I flipped out. When I went to leave, I opened up the video and watched it, over and over again.

I didn't even want Cloud. I never played Final Fantasy VII before, though I was planning on playing it around that time. I was in my parent's computer room, and it was during my second placement of student teaching. My jaw dropped as soon as "Final Fantasy VII" appeared on the screen. I immediately called the many friends I had that played the game before couldn't believe it. The next day, I was freaking out and telling students about it. They couldn't believe it was their student teacher talking about it. Hilarious. Shortly after, I played through Final Fantasy VII. It's one of my favorite games now.

"Everyone is here", especially with Snake making his comeback (especially because I made an effort on social media to get support for his return), was the most amazing thing ever. No Smash will ever top this one simply because of that. Snake became my Brawl main, so to see him get the boot for Smash 4 hurt, a lot. His return, and the fact that we got everybody back brought me to tears (that I had to hide, mind you. We were about to start grading exams last year at that time.)

As soon as I saw the repeating of the K.Rool trailer, I knew. I knew that the rumors were true. That I was wrong. Gladly, wrong. To see the "never ever", "boomer choice", Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash...wow. I ruled them out of the running long ago. I played Banjo-Kazooie for hours on end as a child, but never played Tooie (which I'm planning on after finishing Devil May Cry), but I never expected them to actually come back, and in Smash no less.

Basically, this game is amazing. The roster is amazing. Nothing will ever top it, and this truly is the best outcome imho. The 3rd parties are some really great choices for the most part. Still can't believe some fans didn't find the heavy hitters like Cloud to be hype as hell. You don't even have to be a Final Fantasy player to see how epic that is.

Either way, can't wait for these last two picks. I have a feeling they're going to finish strong.

StormC

Smash Hero
The closest thing I have to a "want" at this point is just someone I could slide into the B tier from the Fighters Pass, following Banjo in S and Joker in A.

-Crash
-Leon/Jill
-Dante
-Sora

Any of these would do. But my Smash anticipation is at an all time low... and I mean that in a good way, because I'm not really actively hoping/anticipating any characters anymore.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I can't really say for sure what got me the most hype when it comes to Smash. There have been so many moments where I can remember my exact reaction, or what I did that same day, or how old I was.

I didn't speculate at all for Smash 64, Melee, or Brawl for that matter. I was kind of a loner in terms of Smash speculating, until I was a junior or senior and had friends over every Tuesday night for Smash night (amazing times with that ****). But when I was a freshman, I believe, I checked online daily for leaks of Sonic in Smash. I checked the Dojo every morning on my moms laptop.

One morning, Sonic had a smug grin on his face and he was staring back at me as I viewed the Smash Dojo. I watched that trailer what seemed like one million different times. I hardly play Sonic now, but at one point he was far and away my most wanted.

Shulk was easily one of my most wanted for Smash 4. I specifically remember him being an underdog pick for quite a bit of the speculation. Really, I wanted Palutena, Little Mac, Pac-Man...Chrom. But Shulk was my most wanted, by far. I was in class in college one day, early in the day. I turned on a computer, and saw a picture of Shulk that I thought was just a generic picture. But once I looked more into it, I flipped out. When I went to leave, I opened up the video and watched it, over and over again.

I didn't even want Cloud. I never played Final Fantasy VII before, though I was planning on playing it around that time. I was in my parent's computer room, and it was during my second placement of student teaching. My jaw dropped as soon as "Final Fantasy VII" appeared on the screen. I immediately called the many friends I had that played the game before couldn't believe it. The next day, I was freaking out and telling students about it. They couldn't believe it was their student teacher talking about it. Hilarious. Shortly after, I played through Final Fantasy VII. It's one of my favorite games now.

"Everyone is here", especially with Snake making his comeback (especially because I made an effort on social media to get support for his return), was the most amazing thing ever. No Smash will ever top this one simply because of that. Snake became my Brawl main, so to see him get the boot for Smash 4 hurt, a lot. His return, and the fact that we got everybody back brought me to tears (that I had to hide, mind you. We were about to start grading exams last year at that time.)

As soon as I saw the repeating of the K.Rool trailer, I knew. I knew that the rumors were true. That I was wrong. Gladly, wrong. To see the "never ever", "boomer choice", Banjo-Kazooie get into Smash...wow. I ruled them out of the running long ago. I played Banjo-Kazooie for hours on end as a child, but never played Tooie (which I'm planning on after finishing Devil May Cry), but I never expected them to actually come back, and in Smash no less.

Basically, this game is amazing. The roster is amazing. Nothing will ever top it, and this truly is the best outcome imho. The 3rd parties are some really great choices for the most part. Still can't believe some fans didn't find the heavy hitters like Cloud to be hype as hell. You don't even have to be a Final Fantasy player to see how epic that is.

Either way, can't wait for these last two picks. I have a feeling they're going to finish strong.
I was only around for Smash4's DLC and Ultimate's speculation cycle. And I have to agree with most of what you said. A lot of the hype moments were the same for me. Although I sort of became retroactively hyped for Cloud and Bayonetta. I liked both of them in Smash so much that I tried out their series and fell in love (well, moreso with Cloud's story and world than the actual game).

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
My DLC hopes right now are timely release dates.

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Remember, not everyone was born in the 1900s. I mean, the start of the 90s is almost 30 years ago.
We should just ban everyone under the age of 13.

We do. It's against the law for kids knowingly under Age 13 to sign up on a website. The Feds could shut Smashboards down and fine AlphaZealot.

Dan

Smash Lord
The Chemical Plant Zone stage is perhaps the best custom I've seen yet... too bad the game isn't optimized for it.

Iridium

Smash Hero
For me:

64: :link64::fox64::pikachu64:
Melee: :mewtwomelee::marthmelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee::falcomelee::sheikmelee:
Brawl: :toonlink::lucario::ike::wolf::metaknight::sonic::pit:
4: :4greninja::4megaman::4cloud::4shulk::4darkpit:
Ultimate: :ulthero::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultridley:

This puts things into perspective. I didn't exist when both 64 and Melee released, and Smash spoiled me when it comes to characters I like, and this isn't even the full list.

Another obligatory Pokechu Pokechu mention.

I personally still want Ryu Hayabusa and Doomguy or Scorpion, but when I look at the heavy hitters we've already gotten for the Fighters Pass, it's hard for me to deny the huge possibility of more Capcom and Namco. Almost anything is possible at this point when it comes to characters getting in. I'll take what I get, though. I just want more characters.

Last edited:

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Favorite newcomers for each game all right this could be fun

Smash 64: :ultmario: I mean he kinda needs to be the best newcomer he's mario if he wasn't in the game it would be so strange

Melee::ultbowser: my first love when I played bowser I felt powerful still play him every once in a while still feel scary when I do

Brawl::ultwolf: I bet most of you thought "yeah of course wolf no **** and yeah my favorite charachter and animal in one so yeah favorite newcomer ever although somehow not the origin of my name (ive been using it forever)
But yeah my main

Sm4sh::ultlittlemac: I really love punch out so little mac is an instant great to me I just wish I would learn to not jump of the stage with him when I play him

Ultimate::ultkrool: there is a bit of a story with k rool for me since it seems I'm a bit too young to know him but my dad had a snes when I was young so that snes was my first gaming experience that led my down the road of mountain dew and mario party. Anyway one of the games he had was dkc two and we played that game all the time and we never beat it. Then later when I had bones my gaming skills I came back to dkc2 and played it with the intention of finally beating it.

But disaster struck the save file of the cartridge was corrupted so if I wanted to beat the game I couldn't get a game over once so 13 year old me grinded that game for what felt like forever then I got to the last boss kaptain k rool! I was scared,nervous, And pumping with adrenaline all at the same time. But I thought to myself I AM A GAMER and this Kroc will not best me. So me on and the obese crocodile fought a thrilling dalliance with danger neither of us could escape from.

K.Rool was a tough foe and he started to wore down my lives No I thought to myself No. So with three lives I finally bested that crocodile and won the battle. Then found out you have to do a whole other set of immpossible missions and such to get to the real final k rool fight and I promptly turned the game off

That was alot to write but the end result was that i had since that fateful night an overwhelming fondness for k rool and wanted him desperately in smash
He is and always will be one of my favorite villains nintendo has.(after wolf of course:))

Last edited:

MainJPW

M.T.A
Sans Undertale baybee
Or any Undertale character for that matter

My never ever dream pick
For me, it's probably a retro character unfamiliar to the west like Ayumi...or a second F-Zero character.

Not really crazy about any Indie characters but I wouldn't mind at this point.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
My favourite newcomers for each game are:

64: :kirby64: - I played a lot of Kirby Super Star as a kid, and Kirby's recovery made him really easy to pick up and play. Plus using his down-B in the air was fun

Melee: :mewtwomelee: - I'm not sure if he was my favourite Pokemon back then, but he was still awesome.

Brawl: :snake: - if you asked me when the game was announced, I would have said Meta Knight or Wario, but Snake's announcement in Brawl (combined with old Nintendo Power issues showing me that the game seemed easier than Splinter Cell) encouraged me to get Metal Gear Solid the Twin Snakes, causing Metal Gear Solid to quickly become one of my favourite game series. As well, between his mortars, Nikita missiles, and C4, he was SO much fun to play as, offering a completely different style of gameplay from everyone else on the roster.

Smash 4: :4bayonetta: - for the base game, I'd probably go with Mega Man or Little Mac, but Bayonetta was a character that I wanted to see in Smash despite how impossible it seemed. I can't remember why I got into the Bayonetta games (probably because I really liked Viewtiful Joe and I wanted to play more games by that developer), but Bayonetta 2 was a big reason why I got the Wii U (along with Smash and Mario 3D World), and it is EASILY one of the best action games that I have ever played, bar none.

I felt like Bayonetta didn't stand a chance, but I felt like she'd be a lot of fun to play as if they could incorporate her moves from her source material. She was even one of the characters that I voted for in the Smash Ballot, hoping that at the very least, she'd appear in a future Smash game or we'd get a Bayonetta 3. I was overjoyed to see her get announced, and even though I'm not that great at using combos with her, she's still a lot of fun to play as.

Ultimate: I'm honestly torn between :ultridley:, :ultkrool:, and :ultbanjokazooie:. I'll rule out Banjo since he's not out yet, so it's hard to say if he'll be as fun for me to play as the others. (plus, it seems a little unfair to go with pre-release hype) If I had to pick one, I'd go with Ridley. I've wanted to see him in the game since Brawl, give or take, and after years of people acting like it was impossible to scale him down, or making ridiculous fan rules like "he's always a boss in Metroid games, so he'll always be a boss in Smash", it was so satisfying to see him make it into the game, and he was pretty much exactly like how I pictured him.

K. Rool has similar reasons, though less extreme (people were less vitriolic towards his inclusion, with the only point against him that was regularly brought up being his lack of modern relevance), so seeing him in Smash was amazing, but it didn't quite reach that same level of satisfaction that Ridley brought with his announcement.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Back in Brawl I had a list of newcomers that I wanted and Ridley was in it, I loved the Metroid games and I thought Ridley would fit well with Smash. He only got in the game as a boss but I still thought he was cool in the game. When Smash 4 came I was on the Ridley train.... until it crashed and burned after his shadow got shown and the fanbase turned into Pepe Silvia. I hated the argument that Ridley couldn't be sized down and when Sakurai said it himself I lost all hope, I really thought Ridley would never come after that. And then came Ultimate with Everyone is Here and Ridley's own reveal, I don't think anyone will surpass Ridley's reveal for me, this is the character that made Smash Ultimate a day one buy for me. Looking back, all the hate and intensity and arguments are funny in hindsight, mostly because they've aged terribly and show that what we perceive as impossible isn't actually impossible at all.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The closest thing I have to a "want" at this point is just someone I could slide into the B tier from the Fighters Pass, following Banjo in S and Joker in A.

-Crash
-Leon/Jill
-Dante
-Sora

Any of these would do. But my Smash anticipation is at an all time low... and I mean that in a good way, because I'm not really actively hoping/anticipating any characters anymore.
I'm the same way, and with most of those characters as well, Crash being my top pick. I think they're unlikely, given how difficult it was to work with a Western company, Crash feels both likely and not likely, so it's hard to say. Sora's also tricky, because while owned by Disney (which I think is a positive--we've established almost every company would like their character in Smash, if picked), he's still associated with Square Enix and so it's blurry. Dante's less complicated, but it's blurry because of the comments of Dante needing a game on the Switch before coming to Smash--talking about it is a knock against it, but it is oddly coincidental that Devil May Cry for the Switch was announced just a few months later. These are probably my top choices, but like you, not anticipating any characters.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
64 was its own feel. You didn't know how to take it in due to being the first of its kind, but seeing Captain Falcon in the roster was shocking to me. Enjoyed F-Zero X as a kid, then to see the good Captain fighting Mario, Luigi, DK, Fox, Pikachu, and Kirby? Felt surreal.
(I was perhaps one of the five people who knew who Falcon was, but not Link and Samus)

In Melee I was happy to see most of the newcomers. Bowser, Peach, Mewtwo, Zelda, and Ganondorf (finally got to play a Zelda between that time!) seemed like no-brainers. But then Melee's roster also felt special due to the "weirder" characters added then. Dr. Mario, Falco, Ice Climbers, Sheik, Pichu, and some random swordsman I've never seen or heard of? Felt random, and if Melee speculation was on today most people would dismiss the bulk of that list as a possibility.

Brawl's newcomers seemed like closure to the olden days. While obviously we were missing big names, the cast introduced here were a big deal. What I loved about it is how balanced it was - every series was given nearly the same amount of attention and care. The newcomers I was most excited for were Diddy, Wario, Wolf, and Dedede, but its roster definitely felt nearly like the peak of Nintendo's All-Stars at the time.

Smash 4 was like a new era. Most of the newcomers were ones I didn't bother with their games prior or know much about, but having played Xenoblade pre-Smash seeing Shulk leaked by some nerd on 4chan was neat. I mean ok they ruined Gaur Plain, but still...
Mewtwo's return and Ryu were the big moments there for me. Cloud was insane. It seemed impossible. It was an ancient meme to want Cloud in Smash - yet he's here now...

Ultimate was hype from the get go. A roster with every veteran was a dream of mine. One I considered a pipedream, a fantasy. E3 2018 rolls around and Sakurai teases a quick burst fighter video. That was how I wanted the theme to be first shown - and the madman does it. Ridley and K. Rool were long time wants for me, but I am not over Everyone is Here. That trailer gave me goosebumps!

Now Phoenix Wright's addition would "complete" the roster for me, but even then I just want this cast to keep expanding. I want to see the impossible become possible, and see the biggest possible crossover of gaming ever. That's why I want 2-3 passes. The opportunity here is huge.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Most hype character by game, I ended up putting these in spoilers as I got a little long-winded.

64::ness64:
Since I was young when this game came out I didn't have any clue about the characters aside from those that popped up in the commercial. I was excited for Link and Pikachu, but otherwise I was going in completely blind with the characters. Of them, Ness was the one that stood out to me the most, he was unusual, had a design that I liked, and was fun to play with against my family and friends. He was a character that despite me knowing nothing about managed to appeal to me regardless, and alongside :samus64: (who is an honorable mention) he was my gateway into another franchise that I had no idea existed beforehand.

Melee::mewtwomelee:
After getting into 64, I was more familiar with Melee. I didn't follow it as religiously as I would later games, but I kept up with it through the demos and news that did manage to trickle down. Of the ones that debuted in the game, none excited me as much as Mewtwo did as back in the day I was a huge Pokémon fan and the movie was a big part of that. I liked the original Mewtwo movie and I felt his character was cool, so when I saw that he was an unlockable character in the game I was ecstatic. As soon as I got a Gamecube and Melee, he was one of the first characters I went for, and despite the hours I had to put into getting him (those of you complaining about Ultimate's unlockable restrictions, you do not know torment until you've played Melee), it was very worth it for me once I got him. Honorable mention goes to :marthmelee:, for being another Samus and Ness case and getting me into Fire Emblem.

Brawl::diddy::ike:
For Brawl, this if the first game that I followed the pre-hype cycle. I saw the E3 trailer, woke up every morning for the Dojo updates, and kept tabs on any new gameplay footage that managed to come out. Of the characters that I wanted to see, only two managed to make their way into the game, and those two were Diddy and Ike. Diddy was a character that I loved from DK64, he was fun to play there and I liked what personality they gave him, so once he was confirmed I was so happy to have him as it meant a character that I loved from the games managed to make it into one of my favorite fighters. Ike was a different case as I didn't play his game until after his confirmation as Radiant Dawn came out late that year, so at first I wasn't as excited, but once I was finished with Radiant Dawn I did an 180 and I was happy to play him once the game came out. Honorable mention goes to:toonlink: as I loved The Wind Waker, but I was a little disappointed to see he didn't bring in as many tools from the game as I hoped for.

4::4greninja::4cloud:
Greninja was basically my longshot want, I was one of the fans who felt that Gen 6 wasn't going to be in the cards due to it being released late so while I wanted Greninja I didn't think he had a chance. Then the April direct came and after some disappointments the Pokémon trailer came and I got a very pleasant surprise: The frog ninja that I loved from XY managed to break my previous expectations and got his ticket into the game. It was a very exciting moment for me and greatly brought my spirits up since none of the newcomers beforehand really got me as much as he did, and to this day that's still one of my favorite Smash 4 moments. In terms of DLC, nothing surpasses Cloud for me, a combination of him being seen as a long shot as well as being a FF fan who was familiar with him through spinoffs and other media made him stand out greatly among the rest of the characters. Honorable mention to :4lucina:as she was one of my favorite characters from Awakening.

Ultimate::ultridley:
And here's the big guy himself. There's a lot of things I could say about him, especially as a longtime Smash fan who's been in speculation since pre-Brawl but to get to the point it was basically a longtime dream finally made reality. I loved the character since my first encounter of him in Fusion and I supported the character since the early days of Brawl, and throughout the years I continued to support and hope for the character even despite the hard times that his deconfirmations in Brawl and Smash 4 brought. The latter in particular was brutal due to Sakurai himself denouncing him, but even so I still hoped against all odds that he'd be playable one day. Then E3 2018 came and following the return of every character in Smash history, the trailer for Ridley played and I literally jumped out of my seat. The Alien-esque tone quickly gave it away, Ridley had finally made his way into Smash after years of campaigning, and it almost felt surreal, I couldn't have been happier with how it all came together after so long. There are very few Smash moments that have come close for me (the August Direct being the closest due to the triple tag team of :ultkrool:, :ultdarksamus:, and :ultrichter:), and it probably will be the biggest Smash moment for me for the years to come.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
We should just ban everyone under the age of 13.

We do. It's against the law for kids knowingly under Age 13 to sign up on a website. The Feds could shut Smashboards down and fine AlphaZealot.
The Nintendo Wii can sign up this year, and you guys can't stop it.

Also, it's against the law? I mean, I thought it was just a strong recomendation, not an actual law put in practice. The more you know.

Well, I guess we know the REAL reason Club Penguin shut down lol

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
On today's episode of "Things I Wish Could Become Reality But LOL Copyright Laws," we have this pitch animatic for a Captain N reboot.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Still playing Devil May Cry 4, now as Dante.

I don’t know what it is, but i’m just getting the feeling Dante is going to be Smash DLC. I just can’t shake the feeling.

Frankly the lesson i’ve learned is that there’s a mighty good chance Capcom gets another pick.

I’m very much looking forward to either Resident Evil OR Devil May Cry.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

I don’t know what it is, but i’m just getting the feeling Dante is going to be Smash DLC. I just can’t shake the feeling.

Frankly the lesson i’ve learned is that there’s a mighty good chance Capcom gets another pick.

It's gonna be Phoenix baby and you're gonna like it.

(although I am starting to think Capcom won't be involved in this pass, which is a possibility a lot of people seem to discard for personal reasons)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
It's gonna be Phoenix baby and you're gonna like it.

(although I am starting to think Capcom won't be involved in this pass, which is a possibility a lot of people seem to discard for personal reasons)
Eh, there’s never a 100% chance of anything happening when it comes to Smash.

I feel pretty confident in Capcom getting a pick though. They’ve got influential, highly popular, high-interest properties that could make a smooth transition to Smash, and while it doesn’t mean it’s confirmed, they’re gaining a presence on Nintendo consoles with more Resident Evil, am intro to Devil May Cry, and just showing continued support of Smash with the newer content for Ultimate.

I can easily see it happening.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
On today's episode of "Things I Wish Could Become Reality But LOL Copyright Laws," we have this pitch animatic for a Captain N reboot.

This was so good. A lot of fun references, well animated and would have so much potential if made. If only.

The elite beat agents being there was nice though

StormC

Smash Hero
I think Ridley would be an S tier hype character for me if I was a bigger Metroid fan with a more lifelong attachment to the series. I adore Super Metroid but other than that I've only played some of the series here and there. Most of my Ridley hype was on the back of a solid decade of speculation and anticipation. I still was so happy to see him that I got out of my car where I was watching the Direct and jumped up and down in the parking lot.

Smash hype makes people do crazy things.

For my S tier hype picks...

:ultdiddy::ultkrool: Huge DKC fan, Diddy being one of my favorite Nintendo characters in general, DKC2 in my top 10 games. Both I wanted partially as a desire to see a return to glory for their franchise (keeping in mind Diddy was stuck in spin-off hell at the time of Brawl). The decade of waiting for K. Rool added to it. Wondering if he'll ever be in Smash. Wondering what he would look like. Wondering if they would respond to our fan demand. Wondering if he'd ever be in a video game again. To this day, K. Rool is still the most excited I've been for a Smash newcomer. But the second highest is...

:ultbanjokazooie: I grew up with the Banjo games as bread and butter of my N64 experience, obviously being a huge Rare fan. The loss of Banjo was easily the most devastating thing about the buyout; I had trouble coming to terms with it when I read about it in Nintendo Power. Ever during Brawl speculation I remember talking to my friends saying "wouldn't it be great if Banjo got in Smash? Heh, just a silly pipe dream." I was skeptical even during the ballot days, but once K. Rool got added, my confidence in Banjo skyrocketed. Ten months later, here we are. Persona 5 and Banjo-Kazooie are both top 5 games for me and having both on the Fighters Pass, both so different but both so beloved by me, is mindblowing.

:ultcloud: I first got into Final Fantasy playing IX after graduating high school in 2009 and absolutely loved it. I next moved on to FF7 and was fascinated by its setting and story; the mix of cyberpunk and fantasy was completely unique and I found the narrative and mystery around Cloud very well-done. I also played Crisis Core and enjoyed it quite a lot as well, but the original FF7, with its setting, story, themes, cast, and god tier soundtrack resonated with me very much, arguably even moreso today. Until I played Persona 5, FF7 was my all time favorite JRPG.

:ultmegaman: I got into Mega Man throughout the years in different ways, but I spent a ton of time in middle school playing the Mega Man Anniversary Collection on GameCube. Even if I couldn't beat any of the games (partially due to jump being B and shoot being A, oops), I poured so many hours into them. I later ran through 1-8 on my PSP proper, and loved 9 and 10 when they came out, 2 being my favorite and, sure enough, being in my top 10. I was a diehard Mega Man fan by the time Smash 4 was on the horizon and sure enough...

So yeah, besides arguably Cloud, I played all these characters' games starting in childhood. Having that nostalgic itch scratched really does wonders.

For A tier hype, it's very similar, just a bit less so:

:ultkingdedede::ultmetaknight: Again, grew up playing Kirby games, loved these characters. Meta Knight was the first time I remember following Smash announcements and thinking "oh, awesome! They added that character!" Even if at the time I wasn't actively thinking about what characters I wanted in Smash, Meta Knight was the first time where I really felt the sense of excitement to see a new character that I love, waiting to play as them. That said, even if I liked Meta Knight more than Dedede, I felt Dedede deserved to be in too and would have felt disappointed if he missed out. Sure enough, Brawl pulled it off.

:ultridley: As discussed before, I am not a huge Metroid fan, but I do enjoy the series well enough and felt since Brawl Ridley deserved to be in. I was sympathetic to his diehard fans, especially as a K. Rool supporter, and the camaraderie between the two intensified the hype. Once I saw Ridley, not only was I excited about him, I was excited about K. Rool who I felt was almost certainly coming. Still, the fact that a character whose game I've only played to completion being Super Metroid still was a top 10 Smash newcomer reveal is a testament to the legendary status of Ridley in the Smash community. Never say too big.

:ultsonic: Back during the Brawl days, I was adamantly against third parties and thought only ones with "close Nintendo connections" should get in. I didn't count Sonic in that since he was a recent immigrant to Nintendo systems, despite having a ton of Nintendo releases and Sonic Adventure 2 being one of my most played GameCube games. I was so adamant that Smash must stay "pure" as a Nintendo crossover and Sonic should stay out of it. At first I groaned upon seeing his reveal... then I watched his trailer and realized none of that mattered and was instantly hype. I watched that trailer dozens of times. It's still one of my favorite Smash trailers to this day, despite lacking the big flashy CGI of 4/Ultimate trailers. And the walls of third party barriers broke down further.

:ultjoker: I had loved Persona 3 and 4, but kept 5 in my backlog for the longest time, saying I'd get to it eventually, but afraid of committing to a 100 hour RPG. Once Joker was revealed at the VGA, though, I knew it was time. I dived in and although I wasn't sure what to expect, I was blown away, totally addicted, playing it nonstop for a month. No other video game released in the last decade resonated with me as much as Persona 5. It was an incredible experience and I genuinely was sad when it was over, 100 hours later. I ended up starting New Game+ immediately. It spoke to me in a way very, very few video games have. I can only imagine how I would have reacted to the initial Joker reveal if I had already played Persona 5... but better late than never.

Overall, my top ten newcomer reveals are...

S Tier
1. :ultkrool:
2. :ultbanjokazooie:
3. :ultcloud:
4. :ultmegaman:
5. :ultdiddy:

A Tier
6. :ultkingdedede:
7. :ultridley:
8. :ultmetaknight:
9. :ultsonic:
10. :ultjoker:

Dang, this got kinda long. Fun fact: I made a 3x3 of my favorite games a while ago...

I'm not kidding when I say basically all my favorite games are in Smash Ultimate.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

When it comes to Capcom DLC Picks for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, these are the series and characters I feel most likely.
1) Resident Evil
- Resident Evil is by and far Capcom's most profitable series, selling well in all territories even if the game isn't that good (RE6).
- Jill or Leon seem the most likely to me (hoping for no Chris..I'm sick of him being shoved into everything). Jill & Leon are in the most well recieved games (Jill with RE1, RE3, REmake, and Revelations, Leon with RE2, RE4, and RE2make). I'm biased, so I'd definitely want Jill, preferably with her REmake, RE3, and Revelations costumes (though I'd understand if RE3 wasn't done due to her miniskirt).
2) Monster Hunter
- One of Capcom's most popular series, especially in Japan, and catching up in the west thanks to Monster Hunter World and has decent moveset potential.
- I'd expect a Rathalos Armor Hunter, both male and female, using a variety of different weapons. I'd love the Kirin Armor Huntress..but I know that armor wouldn't work with the age rating..
3) Devil May Cry
- Very popular series, very popular resurgence.
- Dante, naturally, likely with costumes pulled from at least DMC1 and DMC3, though it'd be awesome if they could pull from DMC 1-3 and 5 akin to how DQ Hero gets to have 4 primary alts, though I'd understand if 4 costumes with long red coats would make it difficult.. I would imagine Sakurai would pull some of the most popular weapons from the series to fill out his moveset and perhaps have a Style Change mechanic as a unique gimmick for him.

Last edited:

---

がんばってね!
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
The Nintendo Wii can sign up this year, and you guys can't stop it.

Also, it's against the law? I mean, I thought it was just a strong recomendation, not an actual law put in practice. The more you know.

Well, I guess we know the REAL reason Club Penguin shut down lol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children's_Online_Privacy_Protection_Act

We have to delete your account in order to comply, though it doesn't ban your IP address so you can re-join once you are of age. Unless someone openly admits to being under 13, there is no issue on our end.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The last two fighters are Sans and Sans 2
But that wouldn't be a hype final reveal. Obviously, we're going to get AT promotion villain reps in the shape of Klaptrap and Metroid himself.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
But that wouldn't be a hype final reveal. Obviously, we're going to get AT promotion villain reps in the shape of Klaptrap and Metroid himself.
If we’re gonna promote assist trophies, ya gotta think big.

That’s right, Color TV Game 15 and the Moon join the battle!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Nah fam we getting Yuri Kozukata and that artist dude promoted AND YOU WILL LIKE IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom