• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

If you ignore the returning characters, Smash 4 DLC had some goddamn bombshells. It was that batch of newcomers that got us ****ing Cloud, Ryu and Bayonetta in Smash. The first one was considered almost Goku-tier, second just seemed so out of nowhere and different, third was from a mature, bloody, sexy adult series. Crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I do think the fact that if you ignore the returning characters, Smash 4 DLC had some goddamn bombshells. It was that batch of newcomers that got us ****ing Cloud, Ryu and Bayonetta in Smash. The first one was considered almost Goku-tier, second just seemed so out of nowhere and different, third was from a mature, bloody, sexy adult series. Crazy.
kinda weird how you didn't really hear anything about ryu and smash before he got added

it's such a 'yeah no ****' addition in retrospect but he feels like he never had all that significant of a following for as big as street fighter is

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I do think the fact that if you ignore the returning characters, Smash 4 DLC had some goddamn bombshells. It was that batch of newcomers that got us ****ing Cloud, Ryu and Bayonetta in Smash. The first one was considered almost Goku-tier, second just seemed so out of nowhere and different, third was from a mature, bloody, sexy adult series. Crazy.
If we're going purely by DLC characters then Cloud and Bayonetta take number one and number two respectively, with Joker taking the number third spot. The only way these three are getting dethroned is if another wtf character I like gets in like Gordon Freeman and Reimu.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Here's a game that @Will just inspired the idea for with his ninja boys picture. For some reason.

You get to create a fighting game with a roster of 16 characters. Here's the kicker: They all have to be playable characters from fighting game franchises and you're allowed no more than 3 per franchise. The 16th character, however, can be a guest character not from a fighting game franchise.

Show me your rosters.

And give your games a kick*** title.
Okay, I'm going to try to include a good balance of 'known' and 'surprising'. I also decided not to include characters that, while mainstays in their fighting game series aren't originally from Fighting Games, such as Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden & Dead or Alive or Athena Asamiya from Psycho Soldier & King of Fighters. I also opted to not use any Mortal Kombat characters since I feel that having them without their fatalities would take something away from them, but I also don't think most of the characters I chose should be subjected to them.

1) Ryu (Street Fighter)
2) Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
3) Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
4) Demitri Maximoff (Darkstalkers)
5) Filia (SkullGirls)
6) Ragna the Bloodedge (BlazBlue)
7) Hazama (BlazBlue)
8) Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
9) Dizzy (Guilty Gear)
10) Ayane (Dead or Alive)
11) Mai Shiranui (Fatal Fury/King of Fighters)
12) Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury/King of Fighters)
13) Mitsurugi (SoulCalibur)
14) Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
15) Kuma (Tekken)
16) Console Exclusive Character
16a) Captain Falcon (F-Zero) - Nintendo
16b) Master Chief (Halo) - Xbox
16c) Nathan Drake (Uncharted) - PlayStation

I figured certain characters could represent their series well enough alone, like Filia or Mitsurugi, while others had popular enough characters to warrant another character but still needed the 'main' character for the series (Dizzy), as for Tekken, it was a hard choice on what two to choose. Heihachi is clearly the most well known Tekken character..but what should the second be? I thought of including Jin or Kazuya, but I felt they may be too similar to Heihachi, then I thought maybe a secondary character like Xiaoyu or Jun Kazama..but than I thought about how Heihachi nor any of them would represent the more quirky side of Tekken, something one of its animal-based characters would and the most popular and well known one would have to be Kuma (though he could also have Panda as an alt character like in some games).
The Guest Character was a hard choice as well since I of course wanted Capt. Falcon, the standout character from Nintendo's Crossover Fighter, Super Smash Bros, but than the game would have to be tied to a Nintendo console, which a concept like this probably wouldn't be..so I decided to take some inspiration from SoulCalibur II and have each system get its own fighter. Master Chief was a no-brainer for Xbox, and a 2D Fighter like this would allow him to show off his weaponry from Halo a lot better than Nicole got to in a more hand-to-hand fighter like Dead or Alive. PlayStation was a bit trickier since I could have went with Jak or something, but I felt like Nathan Drake would be a cool character to see in a fighting game kind of similarly to how Chris Redfield was in Marvel vs Capcom 3.

As stated, the game itself will be a 2D Fighter similar in style to Capcom's Over the Top Versus Series or Arc System Works BlazBlue or Guilty Gear series. and stages will come from a variety of games from each Company included..and not just from the fighting game series included, branching out into some of the company's other titles.
1) Suzaku Castle (Street Fighter II)
2) Castle Aensland (Darkstalkers series)
3) Central Highway (Mega Man X)
4) Little Innsmouth (SkullGirls) [Day & Night Variants]
5) Sheol Gate (BlazBlue)
6) Alucard Castle (BlazBlue)
7) Babylon (Guilty Gear)
8) May Ship (Guilty Gear)
9) Whitewater Valley (Dead or Alive 2 & 4)
10) King of Fighters XIV Stadium
11) Battlefield (Metal Slug) [Moving Stage, Metal Slug battle in background, takes place on Truck or Train]
12) Kaminoi Castle - Sakura-Dai Gate (Soul Calibur II)
13) Mishima Dojo (Tekken 7)
14) Halure (Tales of Vesperia)
15) Pac-Maze (Pac-Man) [Similar to Smash Bros. Omega version]
16Na) Mute City (F-Zero) [Similar to Smash Bros. Melee's]
16Nb) Mushroom Kingdom (Super Mario Bros)
16Xa) The Ark (Halo)
16Xb) Spiral Mountain (Banjo-Kazooie)
16Pa) Shambhala (Uncharted 2)
16Pb) Sandover Village (Jak & Daxter)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
kinda weird how you didn't really hear anything about ryu and smash before he got added

it's such a 'yeah no ****' addition in retrospect but he feels like he never had all that significant of a following for as big as street fighter is
I mean it was during the time when everyone thought that we’d only be getting one third party character to represent their company and we got Mega Man that same game.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Okay, I'm going to try to include a good balance of 'known' and 'surprising'. I also decided not to include characters that, while mainstays in their fighting game series aren't originally from Fighting Games, such as Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden & Dead or Alive or Athena Asamiya from Psycho Soldier & King of Fighters. I also opted to not use any Mortal Kombat characters since I feel that having them without their fatalities would take something away from them, but I also don't think most of the characters I chose should be subjected to them.

1) Ryu (Street Fighter)
2) Chun-Li (Street Fighter)
3) Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers)
4) Demitri Maximoff (Darkstalkers)
5) Filia (SkullGirls)
6) Ragna the Bloodedge (BlazBlue)
7) Hazama (BlazBlue)
8) Sol Badguy (Guilty Gear)
9) Dizzy (Guilty Gear)
10) Ayane (Dead or Alive)
11) Mai Shiranui (Fatal Fury/King of Fighters)
12) Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury/King of Fighters)
13) Mitsurugi (SoulCalibur)
14) Heihachi Mishima (Tekken)
15) Kuma (Tekken)
16) Console Exclusive Character
16a) Captain Falcon (F-Zero) - Nintendo
16b) Master Chief (Halo) - Xbox
16c) Nathan Drake (Uncharted) - PlayStation

I figured certain characters could represent their series well enough alone, like Filia or Mitsurugi, while others had popular enough characters to warrant another character but still needed the 'main' character for the series (Dizzy), as for Tekken, it was a hard choice on what two to choose. Heihachi is clearly the most well known Tekken character..but what should the second be? I thought of including Jin or Kazuya, but I felt they may be too similar to Heihachi, then I thought maybe a secondary character like Xiaoyu or Jun Kazama..but than I thought about how Heihachi nor any of them would represent the more quirky side of Tekken, something one of its animal-based characters would and the most popular and well known one would have to be Kuma (though he could also have Panda as an alt character like in some games).
The Guest Character was a hard choice as well since I of course wanted Capt. Falcon, the standout character from Nintendo's Crossover Fighter, Super Smash Bros, but than the game would have to be tied to a Nintendo console, which a concept like this probably wouldn't be..so I decided to take some inspiration from SoulCalibur II and have each system get its own fighter. Master Chief was a no-brainer for Xbox, and a 2D Fighter like this would allow him to show off his weaponry from Halo a lot better than Nicole got to in a more hand-to-hand fighter like Dead or Alive. PlayStation was a bit trickier since I could have went with Jak or something, but I felt like Nathan Drake would be a cool character to see in a fighting game kind of similarly to how Chris Redfield was in Marvel vs Capcom 3.

As stated, the game itself will be a 2D Fighter similar in style to Capcom's Over the Top Versus Series or Arc System Works BlazBlue or Guilty Gear series. and stages will come from a variety of games from each Company included..and not just from the fighting game series included, branching out into some of the company's other titles.
1) Suzaku Castle (Street Fighter II)
2) Castle Aensland (Darkstalkers series)
3) Central Highway (Mega Man X)
4) Little Innsmouth (SkullGirls) [Day & Night Variants]
5) Sheol Gate (BlazBlue)
6) Alucard Castle (BlazBlue)
7) Babylon (Guilty Gear)
8) May Ship (Guilty Gear)
9) Whitewater Valley (Dead or Alive 2 & 4)
10) King of Fighters XIV Stadium
11) Battlefield (Metal Slug) [Moving Stage, Metal Slug battle in background, takes place on Truck or Train]
12) Kaminoi Castle - Sakura-Dai Gate (Soul Calibur II)
13) Mishima Dojo (Tekken 7)
14) Halure (Tales of Vesperia)
15) Pac-Maze (Pac-Man) [Similar to Smash Bros. Omega version]
16Na) Mute City (F-Zero) [Similar to Smash Bros. Melee's]
16Nb) Mushroom Kingdom (Super Mario Bros)
16Xa) The Ark (Halo)
16Xb) Spiral Mountain (Banjo-Kazooie)
16Pa) Shambhala (Uncharted 2)
16Pb) Sandover Village (Jak & Daxter)
Posts like these are why I love these games.

D

Deleted member

Ryu was the character I never really knew I wanted, and I always found the pushback against him kinda strange. Cloud is Cloud, there isn't much to be said about him, and while I wasn't super big on Bayonetta she brought her music with her and Bayo music is excellent so I can't complain.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

And there was also this weird fan rule where no fighters that originating from a fighting game can be in Smash.
Honestly, there's a reason for that.
Sakurai said this previously..
“The biggest feature we look at in Smash Bros. is, ‘What does this character bring to Smash Bros. that other characters don’t?’ If you look at… someone from a fighting game already, and people like fighting with this character, from my point of view, it’s like ‘this guy does what this guy already does. He fills the role that this character already has. So while you may like this character and he’s interesting, that doesn’t really merge well, here.”
Many people took this to mean that Fighting Game characters weren't possible in Super Smash Bros, meaning that when Ryu was brought up, he was shot down immediately after, just like what happened whenever anyone brought up Cloud or Joker due to being 'Sony' or 'Not Nintendo' characters, Banjo-Kazooie for being owned by a rival, and Bayonetta due to guns & mature themes in her games/character.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
You wanna see something that's both funny and sad?

They made a live-action Swiper the Fox look better than Sonic.
please tell me this isn't a real thing and is actually just a really good mock up by a diehard Dora fan

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I'm curious, what did you like about it specifically?
The thought that went into it. How evenly spread out representation was, the unique flavor of console exclusive characters like Soul Calibur used to do, the extra effort of coming up with a stage list to further represent the things you know and like...

I like when I can put up a prompt, and people run with it further than I intended. I've loved reading all of these.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I barely did any of these, so here’s mine based on reactions and just how I feel.

S: :ultjoker:

A: :ultchrom::ultdarksamus::ultken::ulthero:
B: :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultbanjokazooie:
C: :ultdaisy::ultridley::ultkrool:
D: :ultinkling::ultincineroar:
E: :ultisabelle:

...:ultpiranha:

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
And there was also this weird fan rule where no fighters that originating from a fighting game can be in Smash.
There isn't that many fan rules that remain after Ultimate.

>Ridley killed any size argument for characters
>K. Rool killed the relevancy argument and Banjo buried it
>likewise Banjo killed the no western characters from western studios rule
>Joker hit the final nail for the "Nintendo relevance is a requirement" rule and shot the "no realistic guns allowed" rule
>Richter killed the third party franchises can't get a second character rule
>Plant killed the no mooks allowed rule

For anyone who was obsessed about fan rules before Ultimate, this game may have caused those people to abandon the logic and rules they used to have for Smash inclusions.

Potato_

Smash Lord
"Oh this poll is the best, I gotta vote for my boys Glover and Buck and..."

oh

so that's how it's gonna be huh

i'll remember this grey

Also, slightly controversial tier lists of hype here we go:

S: :ultridley::ultchrom::ultjoker:
A: :ultken: :ultdarksamus:
B: :ultsimon: :ultrichter: :ulthero::ultinkling:
C: :ultkrool: :ultdaisy: :ultbanjokazooie:
D: :ultisabelle: :ultincineroar: :ultpiranha:

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Here goes nothing:
S: :ultkrool::ultridley::ultisabelle:
A: :ultbanjokazooie::ultsimon::ultinkling::ultincineroar::ultdarksamus::ultpiranha:
B::ultmarth::ultdaisy::ultjoker::ultken:
C:
:ultrichter::ulthero:

I truly don't dislike any of them, I was pretty dang hype for nearly every last one of them, actually...But :ultkrool::ultridley: and :ultisabelle: were the top three for me, by far. Banjo-Kazooie comes close since they're so iconic and I really wanted their fans to be given this opportunity after so long.

On the other hand, I didn't even know who Richter was prior to his reveal, so he ranks rather lower than the others. And sorry to say, but The Hero really isn't doing it for me. Maybe that'll change when the I get the chance to play 'em, and I've gladly welcomed every newccomer into Ultimate so far, so again, no dislike, here. It's just that I'm not particularly excited for The Hero.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
people who vote for every option in the poll probably eat pizza without any toppings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom