• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Mario 64 did not age well, specially not with that jank af camera.
To be fair it aged better than 90% of the other 3D games released around that time. 1996 was the year for far worse, even more jank games. The fact that it’s playable to the degree it is without feeling broken is a testament to its agelessness.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
To be fair it aged better than 90% of the other 3D games released around that time. 1996 was the year for far worse, even more jank games. The fact that it’s playable to the degree it is without feeling broken is a testament to its agelessness.
Yes, it's playable, but it's still not that great. The delay on the jumps really throws me off, the camera being terrible, the awful design of the slide levels - all in all, it's just not all that fun.

Roguewolf

Smash Lord
Yeah. People just say I sound depressed, I personally don't really think I do, haha.
people say I have resting depressed face for whatever reason

If anyone is wondering what my voice sounds like

keep wondering ;(

oh dang that winking semicolon guy has resting depressed face...OH that’s what they mean by it

by the by my voice is pretty deep and people have described it as like a radio announcer on some erratic fun time drugs. Although I assume the drugs thing is a personality reference more than a voice thing

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Do any of you have a favorite among the three games included in All Stars?

Personally Mario Galaxy's still my favorite, but Sunshine is also a real blast and Mario 64 is a really timeless platformer even if it has less content and less-realized controls compared to the later games.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Yes, it's playable, but it's still not that great. The delay on the jumps really throws me off, the camera being terrible, the awful design of the slide levels - all in all, it's just not all that fun.
To each their own, I think it holds up incredibly well for its age. Especially seeing as it’s the game that started it all. Careful saying that to the hardcore fans out there. Some people swear by the fact that it’s the best 3D Mario.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
People who wear rose-colored glasses are oft disappointed when they learn to remove them.
I dunno, dude. A lot of those people can do some wizardry in SM64 and that’s why they love it. Just because you don’t doesn’t mean it’s bad bro.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I mean, it's pretty fun watching DougDoug get hundreds of people on a stream make a collaborative effort to beat Mario 64's slides using voice commands.

D

Deleted member

Shroob Shroob

I understand debunking the whole Russian bot thing, even if I told people to stop, but how can you justify people calling me "the worst person" or a nazi?

Anyways, I will take this to the DMs. My Discord is 💖ShinyLegendary BLM💖#3700 , or if you dislike Discord, you can PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shroob

Sup?
Shroob Shroob

I understand debunking the whole Russian bot thing, even if I told people to stop, but how can you justify people calling me "the worst person" or a nazi?

Anyways, I will take this to the DMs. My Discord is 💖ShinyLegendary BLM💖#3700 , or if you dislike Discord, you can PM me.
....I never did? What in the world are you talking about?

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
I take it that you never played the DS remake?

Shroob

Sup?
I was just being fearful you would try to defend people harassing me.

You didn't, don't worry. You are fine. I was just checking.
Ngl, the way you started this weird convo made it seem like you were calling me out for somethin', so consider me a bit miffed when someone can scroll past and perhaps take what you said out of context.

You really ought to think before you post sometimes.

D

Deleted member

Ngl, the way you started this weird convo made it seem like you were calling me out for somethin', so consider me a bit miffed when someone can scroll past and perhaps take what you said out of context.
I wasn't calling you out, my bad.
You really ought to think before you post sometimes.
Listen, I genuinely do. This is what my brain comes up with. I am literally thinking. I'm sorry that my brain is like this.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I was watching a YouTube video, and then it ends, and I hear "HEY Y'ALL!".

YouTube really wants me to watch Scott the Wozz right now, lol. Scott is based, I will say that.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
the awful design of the slide levels -
Wut

It's just steering.

What kind of a world do we live in when people don't like the slide levels? They were some of my favourite parts in 64.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Wut

It's just steering.

What kind of a world do we live in when people don't like the slide levels? They were some of my favourite parts in 64.
I’ve seen a lot of people taking shots at elements of the 3D All-Stars games, and I don’t 100% get it.

I mean, sure, every game has things that could be improved, but those games are all fairly old, so holding them to some of the more modern standards for platformers seems a little pointless.

Plus, if 10-year old me back in the day figured out how to beat those levels, I don’t think you can really hold them up as viciously difficult or examples of terrible design :)

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Wut

It's just steering.

Plus, if 10-year old me back in the day figured out how to beat those levels, I don’t think you can really hold them up as viciously difficult or examples of terrible design :)
Millennials man, I'm tellin' ya.

/s but only half jokingly.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Well since I'm going to be waiting a month or two to buy Mario All Stars, I decided to finally start the game at the very top of my backlog to hold me out. It's the Dark Souls of video games...which is just Dark Souls.

Honestly I as a little worried I wouldn't like it going in. I'm a Nintendo fanboy who's used to snappy controls and bright aesthetics, but I've heard so many good things about its general game design that I figured I may as well give it a try and honestly, I'm actually loving it so far. It plays enough like a Zelda game that the combat feels natural enough and despite me having heard things about deliberately slow combat standard attacks still feel fast enough and enemy attacks are pretty telegraphed.

I thought this was a game that was going to be really hard to get into with a steep learning curve but honestly it feels pretty good to play from the get go. Not to say I find it easy - I'm still dying a lot - but it feels pretty fair to me.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Just have 15 stars to go in Galaxy.

EDIT: I can now play as Luigi.

Last edited:
Status