• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Since Monster Hunter Switch is going to drop soon according to Shonobi.... confession time.

I've only played one Monster Hunter game and I hated it. My friends told me it got really good near the endgame, but it just did not capture my attention at all.
I had the same problem; I've only ever played Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, and I made it to the desert area (the second one) before stopping.

Maybe it was because of my unfamiliarity with the monsters in the series, but when I picked large weapons, I'd start to swing the sword, and the monsters would have time to dodge out of the way and attack me before my attack animation would even finish. When I picked the sword and shield (the only light/small weapon I could find), my attacks would barely do any damage. Throwing a heat-related resource management mechanic on top of that was too much.

Shroob

Sup?
I had the same problem; I've only ever played Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, and I made it to the desert area (the second one) before stopping.

Maybe it was because of my unfamiliarity with the monsters in the series, but when I picked large weapons, I'd start to swing the sword, and the monsters would have time to dodge out of the way and attack me before my attack animation would even finish. When I picked the sword and shield (the only light/small weapon I could find), my attacks would barely do any damage. Throwing a heat-related resource management mechanic on top of that was too much.
Honestly, for me, the issue is that I've gotten too used to modern games where when you press a button, you attack with 0 input delay.

This is what killed World of Warcraft for me. When I tried playing WoW, waiting 3.5 seconds between Auto-Attacks was just too ****ing much.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Since Monster Hunter Switch is going to drop soon according to Shonobi.... confession time.

I've only played one Monster Hunter game and I hated it. My friends told me it got really good near the endgame, but it just did not capture my attention at all.
I can relate with your confession. I once tried out MH4U for the first time solely for curiousity and just couldn't work with how the game plays, really isn't my cup of tea.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Another confession: I can see how influental it is, and I appreciate it's legacy as it brought many of my favorite games of all time out if it, and I'm not saying it's a bad game but

I can't really bring myself to beat the first Super Mario Bros. The modern games spoiled me, because imo, Mario controls like hot garbage, and the lack of backtracking makes it feel very archaic.

Shroob

Sup?
Another confession: I can see how influental it is, and I appreciate it's legacy as it brought many of my favorite games of all time out if it, and I'm not saying it's a bad game but

I can't really bring myself to beat the first Super Mario Bros. The modern games spoiled me, because imo, Mario controls like hot garbage, and the lack of backtracking makes it feel very archaic.
To be fair, ya only gotta beat 6-8 levels. :secretkpop:

But yeah, it's very archaic.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I personally find Monster Hunter very satisfying to play since the game forces you to observe the monster's attack patterns and figure out the most effective time to draw your weapon. Each strike of your weapon also has a fair amount of weight to it that I really enjoy too, especially if you're rolling with something like the Great Sword, Hammer, or Charge Blade. The gameplay loop of "kill monsters->make weapons and armor from said monsters to fight big new monster->rinse and repeat" is also just really addicting to me, and some of the endgame designs look awesome.

Gathering quests are pretty boring and can kill the pacing at times, sure, but they're a necessary evil if you want to be adequately prepared for hunting, so I don't mind them too much.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
RPG confession time?

I never actually finished Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I KNOW! I KNOW! FOR SHAME!!!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Truth be told, even though I know there's nothing to say it.

If this is Monster Hunter, I'm honestly kinda expecting a Hunter as the potential E3 drop.
I could see it and if it happened I would love to see why he was never in the base game considering all the Mh content. Which also is why I kinda of doubt hunter as a DLC character but anything is possible.

Shroob

Sup?
I could see it and if it happened I would love to see why he was never in the base game considering all the Mh content. Which also is why I kinda of doubt hunter as a DLC character but anything is possible.
I mean, we had ARMs content in the base game, and we got MinMin.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Uh...only RPG confession I think of is I spent 100 hours on my first Three Houses playthrough before I learned you could change Combat Arts.

Oh, and I unironically enjoy Sonic Chronicles.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Apparently, today is National Video Games Day in America, for some reason. While I'm not sure why (and it's not like we need an excuse to talk about video games around here), what games are you all playing (or planning to play) this weekend?

I think I might focus on Super Mario 64. I didn't own the game on the Nintendo 64 (we got the system late into its lifespan, and my brother and I didn't have a ton of spending money so our purchases were limited), so I haven't played it all the way through yet. I got it on my Wii U a while back (I was worried that the Wii U's shop channel wasn't going to have as much advance notice before closing as the Wii's did), so I'll play through as much of that as I can. (I'm just about to enter the first Bowser level)
I'm trying to finish the Half-Life games that I've yet to complete (excluding Alyx since I don't have the equipment for Virtual Reality anyway) and I think I'll be playing some Pokemon Shield and possibly BotW as well.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Not even one piece of artwork of Asura as a red lantern I can find...How? It's so thematically fitting.

Also, RIP universe.

D

Deleted member

Think I might bring out the Phantom Knight gang in preparation for the new Phantom Knights stuff in Phantom Rage. My Allure of Darkness playset will finally have a use!

Hopefully at the bare minimum none of the new PK monsters are expensive: I mainly want to build a pure variant so if they’re are that’s gonna be a pain.

Shroob

Sup?
Think I might bring out the Phantom Knight gang in preparation for the new Phantom Knights stuff in Phantom Rage. My Allure of Darkness playset will finally have a use!

Hopefully at the bare minimum none of the new PK monsters are expensive: I mainly want to build a pure variant so if they’re are that’s gonna be a pain.
PK BA is gonna be amazing come next set. Lithium has a pretty nice build on his channel with the new stuff, but I assume you've seen it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Lost Tapes. Do you believe?

Lost Tapes. Otter Man.

Lost Tapes: "Otter Man"
Subject matter: Kushtaka
Summary: A wealthy hunter who had recently acquired a new estate in Alaska decides to go on a hunting trip as a means of celebrating while inviting other professional hunters to join him. While in the remote wilderness, the hunters all soon become the hunted when a mysterious creature, one very cunning and intelligent begins picking them all off.

D

Deleted member

PK BA is gonna be amazing come next set. Lithium has a pretty nice build on his channel with the new stuff, but I assume you've seen it.
Don’t really follow too many Yugitubers so I don’t know who you’re talking about ngl

Also while we’re on the topic how does PK BA even work? don’t the BA’s blow themselves up if you have a non BA monster on the field?

Last edited by a moderator:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I mean, we had ARMs content in the base game, and we got MinMin.
True but there’s a different between an IP, they have free access to and one they have to pay the rights to use. So why do that when we couldn’t get a playable rep’ with it? Always felt like a constellation to me.

Shroob

Sup?
Don’t really follow too many Yugitubers so I don’t know who you’re talking about ngl

Also while we’re on the topic how does PK BA even work? don’t the BA’s blow themselves up if you have a non BA monster on the field?
Cherubini and Tour Guide.

Cherubini shuts off that annoying clause if it points to them and Tour Guide negates the effects of the one she summons.

Here's the build, like what you'd expect out of BAPK it's a Rank 3 spam with Link climbing.

D

Deleted member

Cherubini and Tour Guide.

Cherubini shuts off that annoying clause if it points to them and Tour Guide negates the effects of the one she summons.

Here's the build, like what you'd expect out of BAPK it's a Rank 3 spam with Link climbing.

3BBF779A-8243-4C63-BA40-6CD619213F8E.png

Hmm.. I’ll see what I can cook up without looking at a profile first, like I normally do. Then I’ll see how my build compares. On a different note the nickname of that build being PK Fire is just gold.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Lost Tapes. Do you believe?

Lost Tapes. Otter Man.

Lost Tapes: "Otter Man"
Subject matter: Kushtaka
Summary: A wealthy hunter who had recently acquired a new estate in Alaska decides to go on a hunting trip as a means of celebrating while inviting other professional hunters to join him. While in the remote wilderness, the hunters all soon become the hunted when a mysterious creature, one very cunning and intelligent begins picking them all off.
xD Goddamn, I won't be able to see Otters the same way again after seeing this is a thing...

Shroob

Sup?
True but there’s a different between an IP, they have free access to and one they have to pay the rights to use. So why do that when we couldn’t get a playable rep’ with it? Always felt like a constellation to me.
Beats me.

Reactions: Z25
D

Deleted member

Pretty neat how Bandai made a tutorial app for the 2020 Digimon TCG. The memory system is a pretty interesting resource system too. Never seen a system which you share with your opponent and that ends your turn if you use too much of it.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The chance of fleeing in Nexomon: Extinction seems to be a lot smaller than Pokémon's.

I don't like it.
Been watching a playthrough of this. It’s not bad. The dialog is funny, designs are a little odd but still kinda of stand on their own. Some of which I actually like quite a bit.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Been watching a playthrough of this. It’s not bad. The dialog is funny, designs are a little odd but still kinda of stand on their own. Some of which I actually like quite a bit.
It's a pretty well made Pokémon clone I must say. And yeah, I love the dialog too.

Reactions: Z25
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom