• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
They're still all evil villains. Except Joker who is just evil in the eyes of society and not actually.
nah they're just misunderstood
As far as I can tell she seems to be in favor of researching each individual vaccine, not against the idea of them in general. Certainly still worth raising an eyebrow given the rigorous testing and validation that goes into even introducing a vaccine, but like you said it's pretty inaccurate to characterize her as an anti-vaxxer.
Here's the tweet thread; https://twitter.com/tarastrong/status/986608362686066688
Tara Strong staying best woman va...lovely

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
We convay our values through our media.
Jokes aside, while I do think this to be true, I also believe most people have the ability to separate fictional villains from real ones. This is doubly true for worlds like Mario's where violence takes the form of unrealistic cartoon slapstick.

No one here actually thinks Ganondorf is justified in trying to bring ruin to Hyrule.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh come off it Snake lol.

Every story with a Hero needs a villain foil, and liking the villain doesn't make someone an awful, evil person. Do people who like Bowser as a character suddenly become misogynistic tyrants?
oh no. there's nothing wrong with liking a villain. But you can't deny that that's what they are. A villain. They aren't "misunderstood".
Jokes aside, while I do think this to be true, I also believe most people have the ability to separate fictional villains from real ones. This is doubly true for worlds like Mario's where violence takes the form of unrealistic cartoon slapstick.

No one here actually thinks Ganondorf is justified in trying to bring ruin to Hyrule.
Eh. You never know.

Shroob

Sup?
oh no. there's nothing wrong with liking a villain. But you can't deny that that's what they are. A villain. They aren't "misunderstood".

Eh. You never know.
I mean

Bowser Jr. in Sunshine: Exists

and then there are indeed plenty of villains who flat out ARE misunderstood, like a lot of Kirby characters for example.

You seem soo hyper-focused in this belief that people who like bad guys are gonna grow up to be bad guys, and like.....no? This is legit Soccer Mom Snake logic.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean

Bowser Jr. in Sunshine: Exists

and then there are indeed plenty of villains who flat out ARE misunderstood, like a lot of Kirby characters for example.

You seem soo hyper-focused in this belief that people who like bad guys are gonna grow up to be bad guys, and like.....no? This is legit Soccer Mom Snake logic.
Again. There's nothing wrong with liking a bad guy. As long as you can admit that they are a bad guy and that there behavior is not to be emulated and that they are in the wrong. You can like them all you want as long as you can still admit that that is what they are. Evil.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
We certainly do portray values through media but not everything portrayed is representative of values.

For example, I don't get when people criticise stories with kingdoms for pushing some kind of fascist nondemocratic agenda when in reality they probably just get used as a stock fantasy setting.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Again. There's nothing wrong with liking a bad guy. As long as you can admit that they are a bad guy and that there behavior is not to be emulated and that they are in the wrong. You can like them all you want as long as you can still admit that that is what they are. Evil.
Tell me with a straight face that King DeDeDe, a bad guy who always fights for the side of good when he's able to and his actions commonly get misconstruction as malicious despite being helpful, is evil.

You view things in such a black and white way of sight, it's sad.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Tell me with a straight face that King DeDeDe, a bad guy who always fights for the side of good when he's able to and his actions commonly get misconstruction as malicious despite being helpful, is evil.

He was certainly a **** in the first game where he stole all the food from Dreamland.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We certainly do portray values through media but not everything portrayed is representative of values.

For example, I don't get when people criticise stories with kingdoms for pushing some kind of fascist nondemocratic agenda when in reality they probably just get used as a stock fantasy setting.
Now THAT we can agree on. You can't get that specific about it because then it's literally impossible to have a non problematic portrayal of literally anything. It's the cinema sins way of looking at things.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
I take it you’re not a fan of redemption arcs.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Bowser did nothing wrong. He set up that whole fancy wedding and travelled around the whole world to get stuff for Peach, so he could finally marry his one true love and give Jr. a mama. And the wedding was on the MOON. How’d he even get enough air around that thing? It’s not his fault Mario crashed in and Peach rejected him for some dumb reason, though she at least seemed to like the little piranha plants Bowser was trying to give her before Mario fought him over it, that jerk.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Dedede is a reformed villain. He learned his lesson and gave up active villainy a long time ago.

As opposed to a character like Bowser who's always up to something and realistically will never change.

Shroob

Sup?
Dedede is a reformed villain. He learned his lesson and gave up active villainy a long time ago.

As opposed to a character like Bowser who's always up to something and realistically will never change.
Except DeDeDe will still gladly get in Kirby's way if he's able to if he believes what he's doing is in the right.

So is he still a reformed villain if he's more than willing to get in the way of the Hero's path?

Again, morality isn't black and white, there's various shades of grey between the two.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Oh definitely. He's a greedy asshole

But so is Wario, and by Snake's logic, Wario would be a 'good' guy since he's not commonly portrayed as a villain anymore(if at all).
I can't recall Wario ever doing anything without the express motivation of self-enrichment.

Nintendo should give him 3 adorable nephews that teach him the values of family and charity.
I take it you’re not a fan of redemption arcs.
Redemption arcs are fine. And they can happen. But if Bowser was redeemed for example, that wouldn't suddenly make all the bad things he did no longer bad things. It wouldn't mean he was suddenly a good guy the entire time. And it wouldn't mean that his evil beliefs were right.
All I can say is...

SnakeFighter, you should play Fire Emblem Three Houses.
View attachment 284178
If you buy it for me, then sure I'll give it a shake. But I probably wouldn't be able to engage with it very well. The only, literally only way, I was able to enjoy FFVII's story was by using the built in cheats on the switch port so I was basically watching a movie.

Shroob

Sup?
I can't recall Wario ever doing anything without the express motivation of self-enrichment.

Nintendo should give him 3 adorable nephews that teach him the values of family and charity.

Redemption arcs are fine. And they can happen. But if Bowser was redeemed for example, that wouldn't suddenly make all the bad things he did no longer bad things. It wouldn't mean he was suddenly a good guy the entire time. And it wouldn't mean that his evil beliefs were right.

If you buy it for me, then sure I'll give it a shake. But I probably wouldn't be able to engage with it very well. The only, literally only way, I was able to enjoy FFVII's story was by using the built in cheats on the switch port so I was basically watching a movie.
I mean, why are you assuming that Wario's self-enrichment is justified in the first place?

He's literally out there robbing tombs and beating up innocent natives for his own greed, and yet, he's the Hero. How does that make him not a villain by your logic? He's literally unbridled, destructive capitalism in walking form where it's all about him and nothing else matters as long as he gets his money.

He's the walking equivalent of the BP oil spill.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
This kind of attitude is why legitimatly horrible people are still able to hold influence over society.
This kind of attitude is why legitimatly horrible people are still able to hold influence over society.
Super Smash Boards: Three Quotes
All I can say is...

SnakeFighter, you should play Fire Emblem Three Houses.
View attachment 284178
unbelievably evil
Imma just gonna drop this here while it's still relevant.
Bowser did this to give gamers something to do

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Except DeDeDe will still gladly get in Kirby's way if he's able to if he believes what he's doing is in the right.

So is he still a reformed villain if he's more than willing to get in the way of the Hero's path?

Again, morality isn't black and white, there's various shades of grey between the two.
That just makes him an antihero. And anyway, I’m not talking about that kind of thing. Because it is possible for heroes to be misinformed or uneducated about the situation and accidentally act in the wrong. But that doesn’t mean they have malicious intent. That doesn’t mean they’re going out with the express goal of killing and conquering and causing mass destruction. It’s two completely different types of character.

Shroob

Sup?
That just makes him an antihero. And anyway, I’m not talking about that kind of thing. Because it is possible for heroes to be misinformed or uneducated about the situation and accidentally act in the wrong. But that doesn’t mean they have malicious intent. That doesn’t mean they’re going out with the express goal of killing and conquering and causing mass destruction. It’s two completely different types of character.
I mean

Murder is Murder.

Don't care if you wear a big symbol on your chest, you're still a murderer. Looking at you Hal Jordan.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, why are you assuming that Wario's self-enrichment is justified in the first place?

He's literally out there robbing tombs and beating up innocent natives for his own greed, and yet, he's the Hero. How does that make him not a villain by your logic? He's literally unbridled, destructive capitalism in walking form where it's all about him and nothing else matters as long as he gets his money.

He's the walking equivalent of the BP oil spill.
Yeah. He is a villain. Protagonist, as y’all have painstakingly informed me of many a time, does not equal hero. Just because the story is about Wario does not make him the hero.
Bowser still did nothing wrong.

...okay he turned Toads into bricks. Bricks shmicks, ONE thing wrong...
This is the kind of mentality I’m talking about. We let it happen to our fictional characters and now people are doing the same thing to history’s literal biggest monsters.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Just wake up, but we're talking about heroes & vilains, ehh?

Wellll, one of my character, Hota (this dude).
hota headshot.jpg
Like sometime to read storybook for his younger sister Alicia (this gal) when she's bored .
Alicia headshot.jpg
And as we all know, reading storybook for your sibling is a hero thing, not a bad guy thing.

So, obviously, Hota's gud gui.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom