• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
And how are we supposed to learn from our mistakes if we don’t teach people those lessons and let them know how we ****ed up?
I'd imagine everyone who goes to school has to crack open a history book and learn about the past at least once, hell, I'm certain US History is at least required for 1 year.

But there's only so much you can do. You cannot force people to think one way or another outside of cult-like brainwashing. You cannot make a true utopia, you have to play with the pieces you're dealt. Real life isn't pretty, and it's also not fun, but it's the life we're given, and we have to make the most out of it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I'd imagine everyone who goes to school has to crack open a history book and learn about the past at least once, hell, I'm certain US History is at least required for 1 year.

But there's only so much you can do. You cannot force people to think one way or another outside of cult-like brainwashing. You cannot make a true utopia, you have to play with the pieces you're dealt. Real life isn't pretty, and it's also not fun, but it's the life we're given, and we have to make the most out of it.
I’ve always believed that even if it’s not a utopia, utopia is what we should strive for. Because the process of trying to get there will leave us in a pretty good place by the end.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Just showing history isn't enough. One person can present something as an atrocity, while another can present it as justice.

People need to be encouraged to think critically, consider multiple perspectives and develop informed opinions. More importantly, they need to be open to reflect on those opinions and change them as they find necessary.

Shroob

Sup?
I’ve always believed that even if it’s not a utopia, utopia is what we should strive for. Because the process of trying to get there will leave us in a pretty good place by the end.
We're never going to reach utopia because humans are too varied, that's just a fact.

Racism will honestly never leave us if I'm being cynical, and even then you'll have things like religions and extremist views that get in the way.

It's a great idea on paper, but humans are too varied of a species to unite under one banner.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We're never going to reach utopia because humans are too varied, that's just a fact.

Racism will honestly never leave us if I'm being cynical, and even then you'll have things like religions and extremist views that get in the way.

It's a great idea on paper, but humans are too varied of a species to unite under one banner.
Just because we can’t get there doesn’t mean that the process of trying won’t cause ya to make great changes that benefit people and make everyone’s lives better.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I might be considered naive but whether or not I believe we'll achieve a point where the world's problems are solved won't stop me from striving to achieve that world.

Aiming to achieve the impossible encourages me to do what is possible. If I can help just one person, I'll do it. It doesn't matter that more people in need will pop up. I can just be a part of a bigger thing continuously helping people.

When I was studying science, I read about this Nobel laureate who believed anything worth knowing in science was already discovered and that ventures to cure things like cancer would eventually prove fruitless. I was honestly surprised someone like him even managed to achieve something in science because questioning and discovery are core aspects of science. Yeah, we might not ever cure cancer but that doesn't make the endeavour to try any less valuable.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Just because we can’t get there doesn’t mean that the process of trying won’t cause ya to make great changes that benefit people and make everyone’s lives better.
We are trying. Why do you think things like Black lives matters marches are a thing? Or the small changes like the Washington Redskins changing their name is happening?

It's just, it's not a thing that'll just happen. This could take decades, if not hundreds of years.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
We are trying. Why do you think things like Black lives matters marches are a thing? Or the small changes like the Washington Redskins changing their name is happening?

It's just, it's not a thing that'll just happen. This could take decades, if not hundreds of years.
Ok then. Would you not agree that proper education is an important part of this process?

Shroob

Sup?
Ok then. Would you not agree that proper education is an important part of this process?
Obviously.

But, I'm also of sane mind and can differentiate "This character is fake. They're a video game. They're not real." There are people who can't do that, but those people have issues that education wasn't going to do anything for to be blunt.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Well on a side note from here, the rumors from places that have had real info previously are saying Mario Collection this week and that it would have been at E3 no delays and released this month but is now set for a November December release. With the 3D world port coming next year.

So how likely do you think k it is? Is it finally time to see this? I still bet it’s real as it makes too much sense at this point but we will know eventually.

Shroob

Sup?
Well on a side note from here, the rumors from places that have had real info previously are saying Mario Collection this week and that it would have been at E3 no delays and released this month but is now set for a November December release. With the 3D world port coming next year.

So how likely do you think k it is? Is it finally time to see this? I still bet it’s real as it makes too much sense at this point but we will know eventually.
Epicmartin7 over in the Newcomer thread pointed out that Nintendo updated their Direct Directory today

And King Zell over on ResetEra highlighted a 3 in their "I'm retiring from leaking" post.

So shakily put two and two together and you may get something.

Shroob

Sup?
Those people are called children.
Or, people with severe mental issues.

As someone who lives in a very red town in a very blue state, most of the people here who go around waving their confederate flags and anti-lgbt propaganda didn't get their hate from fictional characters most likely, they got it from their parents, who probably got it from theirs.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It’s not because they exist. It’s because it wasn’t made clear that they are bad guys and are not to be agreed with lest you also become a bad guy. It’s because we made them to empathetic without also clearly delineating that their actions and beliefs are hurtful. Media is getting better about that. But it’s still not perfect and frankly the damage might already be done. Not to mention we still have the problem of the heroes in media stooping to the same lows as the villain and still coming out on top.
I think this is the fault of some people being psychotic and evil due to very serious mind issues (like psychopathy and sociopathy or whatever) and dumb evil stuff and not getting the serious help they need, not fictional bad guys like your friendly neighborhood Koopa King. Also maybe due to irresponsibility of parents when it comes to raising their children...and horrible people in general. This stuff has happened before media even existed, just simpler art forms that weren’t as widespread. Even before then. Media may trigger someone’s psychotic stuff, but if it did, they were likely about to do it anyway, unfortunately.

I played Red Dead Revolver when I was little, like 7 or so. Also played CoD with my younger bro when I was around 10 or 11 (and he’s 5 years younger). Was it weird my parents let us play those games? Maybe, but I’m not a crazed gunman or active bounty hunter or whatever, my parents were responsible and I understood it was just a game. My brother, too. Just like Banjo-Kazooie didn’t cause me to stuff birds in my backpack and jab kids with them. And I’m really sick of the evil going on in the world just like you and others are.

You just gotta remember there’s a lotta good, too, and focus on your own life + those of your loved ones and others around you. There may be bad in the world, and yeah it sucks, but it’s not all bad, and hey, maybe in the distant future, the bad people will finally grow some brains and be good to each other and others.

Believing in a religion myself, it really sucks when other people let their religion get in the way instead of leaving things to whoever they believe in and letting others believe whatever they want; even when their religion basically tells them to do things just like that with spreading the word being encouraged but not forcibly/angrily/hatefully, that’s just going against their own religion >_> People should be accepting of others...and just avoid/be against the really dark stuff...

But I believe people of different faiths can coexist happily together, some do today, just...a lot of people need to calm down and see the error of their ways (the hateful/demoralizing fights and stuff)...

Shroob

Sup?
I really hope we get a direct. Although it’s a cautious hope. Because just getting a direct is not guaranteed satisfaction.
Considering this will be our first real direct since either September of last year, or our first real mini since March, cautious hope is more than a right outlook to have right now.

People are going to be disappointed regardless if nothing else due to how long it's been.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Been a while since I've felt like posting. Been working on a lot of new avatars as of late so hopefully that'll motivate me to stay active in light of the recent news drought (I say drought, but in a highly subjective sense). Cleared out the large report queue as well, I see a lot of you have been double posting. lol

Picked up the recently released Skyla figure from the Pokemon Center as an import. I want to open her box and take pictures, but she doesn't fit with the rest of my Hitoshi Ariga figure collection. Unrelated but she also had my vote for #pokemonmastersex Easily the best support unit in the game!

Recently met a large personal life goal, so I went and blew my money on another $$$$ game. It'll be the second most expensive I've bought but it should be worth it as it comes with the original registration card so I shouldn't have to worry about pirates. Sega Mega Drive games have such awesome artwork.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Considering this will be our first real direct since either September of last year, or our first real mini since March, cautious hope is more than a right outlook to have right now.

People are going to be disappointed regardless if nothing else due to how long it's been.
NGL, there is a very small handful of things they could show in a direct that would satisfy me. The odds of me coming away pleased are about as low as Drampa’s encounter rate in Pokémon Shield.

Shroob

Sup?
ngl I just wanna know who's next for Smash.

I don't even care if they don't come out until sometime in October, just.... give me details. Smol Battlefield is cute, and I'd gladly take more mini content patches like it, but it's been such a drought in not just Smash, but Nintendo in general this year.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

I don't even care if they don't come out until sometime in October, just.... give me details. Smol Battlefield is cute, and I'd gladly take more mini content patches like it, but it's been such a drought in not just Smash, but Nintendo in general this year.
How would you react if Nintendo went crazy and they reveal who's coming third but not who's second?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Smash is the only thing that I want that I can reasonably expect. Would it be amazing to see a new DK game, Microsoft ports, a new exclusive fighting game, something with DC comics, a linear Metroid game, Pokémon DLC with routes, a FFVIIR style remake of Legend of the Seven Stars, Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes 1, 2, and 3; Astral Chain 2, The Wonderful 202, a new F-Zero game, Mega Man 12/X9 and a Mario + Sonic crossover action-platformer? Absolutely. Any of those would make my day. But like... what are the odds of any of them happening. Really.

Shroob

Sup?
Smash is the only thing that I want that I can reasonably expect. Would it be amazing to see a new DK game, Microsoft ports, a new exclusive fighting game, something with DC comics, a linear Metroid game, Pokémon DLC with routes, a FFVIIR style remake of Legend of the Seven Stars, Bayonetta 3, No More Heroes 1, 2, and 3; Astral Chain 2, The Wonderful 202, a new F-Zero game, Mega Man 12/X9 and a Mario + Sonic crossover action-platformer? Absolutely. Any of those would make my day. But like... what are the odds of any of them happening. Really.
Well

SMT5 climbed its way out of vaporware hell

Surely Bayo3 will come back one day. Maybe. We'll see.

Also haha F-Zero....

1599027467072.png

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Personally I’m just wanting the rumored Mario remasters and the next Smash fighter at this point. No Pikmin 4 is disappointing, but Pikmin 3 Deluxe has made me happy tbh.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Well

SMT5 climbed its way out of vaporware hell

Surely Bayo3 will come back one day. Maybe. We'll see.

Also haha F-Zero....

View attachment 284188
You just made my point. That meme is how I feel about every single one of those things I listed. I haven’t had actual hope that a direct will make me happy since last E3. I get to just watch everyone else be happy. It ya my fate.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Epicmartin7 over in the Newcomer thread pointed out that Nintendo updated their Direct Directory today

And King Zell over on ResetEra highlighted a 3 in their "I'm retiring from leaking" post.

So shakily put two and two together and you may get something.
I believe Zel and a few others did say they expect a direct of some kind that’s not a partners before the 16th. So this week would be a decent time slot for one to show up. My main wants at this points are to see the Mario Collection, learn about BOTW 2 and a really nice surprise would be if they finally added DLC to Mario Kart 8 deluxe when it’s the biggest switch game sales wise. Tour has had some great additions that I would love to see in DLC for 8. It would would really breathe a lot of new life into it and work for the anniversary. Still my last realistic expectation and want is the smash character. Which I’m still betting is Geno but really curious either way of who was going to be our big E3 reveal this year.
Probably 4.
4? I thought it was the friends we made along the way!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I believe Zel and a few others did say they expect a direct of some kind that’s not a partners before the 16th. So this week would be a decent time slot for one to show up. My main wants at this points are to see the Mario Collection, learn about BOTW 2 and a really nice surprise would be if they finally added DLC to Mario Kart 8 deluxe when it’s the biggest switch game sales wise. Tour has had some great additions that I would love to see in DLC for 8. It would would really breathe a lot of new life into it and work for the anniversary. Still my last realistic expectation and want is the smash character. Which I’m still betting is Geno but really curious either way of who was going to be our big E3 reveal this year.

4? I thought it was the friends we made along the way!
I may have my own personal bias as who I do and don't want as the next Smash character

But it feels like it's been ages since Min Min, when it really hasn't, so I'll just take anyone about now.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
One character that I think is very likely is Travis Touchdown. Not just because I once had a dream that he would be included and that my dream about fighter 5 being a blue haired anime woman ended up coming true. I swear there’s another reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom