• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I don't really mind the RPG battle system being gone (even if they insist on doing a variation of an RPG-style battle system despite not being an RPG anymore), though it does suck it'll probably never come back, especially if Nintendo just lets M&L stay dead in the water. I just wish they would stop with their big-time paranoia and hypocrisy telling the PM devs to not use age/gender (so no individuals among a character species anymore, just different outfits and dialogue, though at least Bobby was done well), and to not make any unique characters be able to appear in future games. It's ridiculous and doesn't even make sense with the "consistency/protect the brand" reason since they break it themselves.
I feel like they've loosened up their grip a slight bit with TOK, as there's more Toads and Enemies with more unique costumes then there has even been in SS and Color Splash
Like compare these two Professor Toads for example
1597422832317.png

Completely seperate characters, but one stands out more. We still got ways to go however.

Now we want to talk missed opportunity, look at CS's concept art and what could have been
1597422928197.png

The one we got was the bottom left btw

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
This is cheating. Why was this the game that had everything external going for it?
Color Splash died so that Origami King could walk
I actually have a similar idea for Bowser in my PM game with that top left corner one.
I wonder why they scrapped that. Who wouldn't want Bowser to have a sick cape?

D

Deleted member

I'm a bit bored and don't have anything better to do so....
Give me anime recommendations.

Only thing off the table is Slice-of-life and sports anime(not a fan) anything else is fair game. Preferably something not too long and also not super dark(something like Death Note for example i'm iffy on for the same personal reasons I mentioned a few days ago)

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Only thing off the table is Slice-of-life and sports anime(not a fan) anything else is fair game. Preferably something not too long and also not super dark(something like Death Note for example i'm iffy on for the same personal reasons I mentioned a few days ago)
Lupin the 3rd parts 4 and 5 are excellent, and it's a series you need no prior knowledge of earlier parts to enjoy. Four especially is a really good starting place and is super easy to get into. It's about a gentleman thief and his gang going from place to place getting into all kinds of thievery hijinks. His two main partners are a expert marksman named Jigen and a samurai named Goemon, and they're chased around by an Interpol cop named Zenigata. It's a pretty good time, and the dub is excellent if you're into dubs.

snowgolem

Smash Lord
NNID
None
Switch FC
SW-7635-8772-4887

Not too dark?
I’m a psychological fan, but I’ve still got some favorites which aren’t dark.
Actually, I’m kind of struggling..
Well, first off, watch the Persona anime if you don’t care for spoilers. They’re good enough, and most aren’t too dark.
And the Ace Attorney anime, if you’re into that.
I know this is probably the 4th time I’ve mentioned this anime in the last week, but it’s the first thing that comes to mind. Kakegurui isn’t too dark but can be intense at some points, so there’s that.
I suck at this.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

Uhh except for slice of life (think I'm the only one here who loves the genre?) And not super dark (which Re:Zero is) so my top 5 is out.
  • I'd go Darling in the Franxx but it gets meh after like 15 episodes.
  • Fire Force is pretty good. It's about 25 episodes. It's basically steampunk-firebending monster killers. It's pretty actiony.
  • The Devil is a Part Timer, it's basically about a demon king who flees to earth and ends up working in McDonalds. It's partly slice of life but it's got a bit of action but it's far more of a comedy than anything. 12 episodes.
  • And, Dr. Stone. Entire world gets petrified, dude breaks out thousands of years later and is like "science!" and constantly invents things. Pacing is a bit of an issue. 25 episodes
I don't know. I want to recommend but don't know if you'll like them. @Chaos Breaker Dragon tell me what you think? I suck at describing stuff.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lupin the 3rd parts 4 and 5 are excellent, and it's a series you need no prior knowledge of earlier parts to enjoy. Four especially is a really good starting place and is super easy to get into. It's about a gentleman thief and his gang going from place to place getting into all kinds of thievery hijinks. His two main partners are a expert marksman named Jigen and a samurai named Goemon, and they're chased around by an Interpol cop named Zenigata. It's a pretty good time, and the dub is excellent if you're into dubs.
I just started watching the first episode of Part 3, and uhhh... that first scene with the shark with a phone ringing in it's mouth is just crazy. I dunno if I'll watch any more, but it's neato
Uhh except for slice of life (think I'm the only one here who loves the genre?) And not super dark (which Re:Zero is) so my top 5 is out.
  • I'd go Darling in the Franxx but it gets meh after like 15 episodes.
  • Fire Force is pretty good. It's about 25 episodes. It's basically steampunk-firebending monster killers. It's pretty actiony.
  • The Devil is a Part Timer, it's basically about a demon king who flees to earth and ends up working in McDonalds. It's partly slice of life but it's got a bit of action but it's far more of a comedy than anything. 12 episodes.
  • And, Dr. Stone. Entire world gets petrified, dude breaks out thousands of years later and is like "science!" and constantly invents things. Pacing is a bit of an issue. 25 episodes
I don't know. I want to recommend but don't know if you'll like them. @Chaos Breaker Dragon tell me what you think? I suck at describing stuff.
Darling in the Franxx is something I considered but bleh all the fanservice is a turn off for me.
I've watched a little bit of Fire Force and Dr.Stone, but overall I like Dr.Stone better. Thanks though!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Whenever I bake cookies I manage to frick them up somehow, and all I want to do is give them to people as a gift for helping me find my dog.

I'm so angry at myself rn.
I love making cookies but I always screw up the cooking part. It can be really hard to adjust the heat, especially on manual ovens.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I just started watching the first episode of Part 3, and uhhh... that first scene with the shark with a phone ringing in it's mouth is just crazy. I dunno if I'll watch any more, but it's neato

Darling in the Franxx is something I considered but bleh all the fanservice is a turn off for me.
I've watched a little bit of Fire Force and Dr.Stone, but overall I like Dr.Stone better. Thanks though!
If you can put up with graphic violence, I heavily recommend Dorohedoro. It's a great adaptation of an already-superb manga and it balances a grim setting with goofy and likeable characters perfectly.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Oh, Part Three is Pink Jacket Lupin. In Lupin, the different eras and parts are differentiated by the jacket Lupin wears, and Part Three (Pink Jacket) is very out there. If you want some of the old school Lupin, I'd recommend part 2 (Red Jacket) instead; it's still zany, but not nearly as wild as Pink Jacket.

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

That's something so. Dr. Stone and Fire Force has generally been the surprise recommendations so thought I'd forward it. Would have usually went with A Place Further Than The Universe but no slice of life.

I'd throw in Kino's Journey lastly. My favourite anime of all time. It's a collection of episodes about a girl and her motorbike travelling to various countries. It's philosophical fiction so it is to a specific audience but it's a great anime.

If you can put up with graphic violence, I heavily recommend Dorohedoro. It's a great adaptation of an already-superb manga and it balances a grim setting with goofy and likeable characters perfectly.
I'm gonna add this to my list as well. Forgot about it.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
What could be taken from Bug Fables to improve on the traditional PM battle system?
Tough question, I think the premise of Bug Fables was pretty carefully crafted to justify its combat improvements so not all of them apply. I think Bug Fables benefits a lot from not having a true "main" character that needs the spotlight like Paper Mario does. Any partner has to play second fiddle to Mario because Mario is the gaming icon and the eponymous hero of the story.
Bug Fables on the other hand doesn't do this, much to its benefit in combat. They have several enemies that enforce certain partners, and a well-balanced turn relay system to let you use the right partner a couple times per turn with a trade-off. There are 3 total combatants rather than Mario + 6 or more partners. Decisions matter a lot more. When you lose one of your characters, it's usually a Really Bad Thing.

I do not think Paper Mario could make use of most of these things because of the aforementioned "main character" status of Mario, but if they were to go back to a turn-based RPG style I think a good start would be requiring certain partner abilities more often (via enemy design) and have enemies more intelligently pick which partner to attack. They could also make partner HP shared among them. In TTYD many enemies can't target the back row so you just can throw partners in front as disposable meat shields, and swap to the next one whenever one dies.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

My sleep schedule is so messed up, that I woke up at 2:35 PM.

How is everyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Feels a bit weird posting this when I told myself I was gonna be watching the anime ya’ll recommended but damn this is the most epic fight of Vanguard

D

Deleted member

How is everyone?
I’m doing good, got almost all the stuff for my D-hero deck and am watching stuff people recommended up above right now

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Tough question, I think the premise of Bug Fables was pretty carefully crafted to justify its combat improvements so not all of them apply. I think Bug Fables benefits a lot from not having a true "main" character that needs the spotlight like Paper Mario does. Any partner has to play second fiddle to Mario because Mario is the gaming icon and the eponymous hero of the story.
Bug Fables on the other hand doesn't do this, much to its benefit in combat. They have several enemies that enforce certain partners, and a well-balanced turn relay system to let you use the right partner a couple times per turn with a trade-off. There are 3 total combatants rather than Mario + 6 or more partners. Decisions matter a lot more. When you lose one of your characters, it's usually a Really Bad Thing.

I do not think Paper Mario could make use of most of these things because of the aforementioned "main character" status of Mario, but if they were to go back to a turn-based RPG style I think a good start would be requiring certain partner abilities more often (via enemy design) and have enemies more intelligently pick which partner to attack. They could also make partner HP shared among them. In TTYD many enemies can't target the back row so you just can throw partners in front as disposable meat shields, and swap to the next one whenever one dies.
Well in terms of my game ideas, I’m planning on reducing the partner count to 4 (:ultmario::ultpeach: will have 4 each) in exchange for more screentime and abilities so I could potentially incorporate more stuff like that.

D

Deleted member

I feel like they've loosened up their grip a slight bit with TOK, as there's more Toads and Enemies with more unique costumes then there has even been in SS and Color Splash
Like compare these two Professor Toads for exampleView attachment 282245
Completely seperate characters, but one stands out more. We still got ways to go however.

Now we want to talk missed opportunity, look at CS's concept art and what could have been
View attachment 282246
The one we got was the bottom left btw
The top left option or the middle right option would have been so cool. Why is the concept art always so amazing?

Dutch Raikuna

How is everyone?
Alright. Gonna play a bit of Hitman then talk story stuff with friends on the forum.

Earlier, I had acquired enough achievement points in Viva Piñata Trouble in Paradise to get all the Rare Replay stamps from it!
Viva Pinata had the greatest intro in existence. No one can deny it.

We need Rare Replay for Switch!

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
That's something so. Dr. Stone and Fire Force has generally been the surprise recommendations so thought I'd forward it. Would have usually went with A Place Further Than The Universe but no slice of life.

I'd throw in Kino's Journey lastly. My favourite anime of all time. It's a collection of episodes about a girl and her motorbike travelling to various countries. It's philosophical fiction so it is to a specific audience but it's a great anime.

I'm gonna add this to my list as well. Forgot about it.
Speaking of Dr Stone, that's a good show. It's got a very interesting premise and how Senku interacts with others sets up for some good rivalries and also character development moments.

I wish the minor characters were more interesting though. His best friend Taiju fell off the map for half of season 1.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom