• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
So today I learned that my older brother has actually watched ATLA.............twice.

My anime/cartoon hating older brother has watched it twice. Then he should at least try anime if he didn't disown me for going to get a coke.

Irepan.exe is malfunctioning.

Last edited:

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
ATLA is genuinely a contender for the best cartoon of all time imo. I watched it three times and I'd watch it again.

So it's not surprising it would attract people who generally don't like animation.

Some media is just that good that they can garner an audience that's normally hostile to its genres and style. Better Call Saul balanced being a law drama and also being an engrossing experience, two things that normally can't coexist when my instant-gratification brain is around.

Last edited:

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
It is amazing that ATLA is able to hold its own against popular anime of this year. Netflix I think has the most anime licences out of all major streaming services.

D

Deleted member

I don't really like anime all too much, but I do like A:TLA. There's just something so.. mystical about it. Not sure what it is. I love pretty much everything about it, despite it definitely having anime-style quirks to it at times.

Doesn't help that all the characters are really well-rounded. Usually you get one or two good characters then some *really* bad characters. The Pokemon anime is a good example of that. It's not like that in ATLA, they're all central and likable in some way. I remember watching season 1 and 2 and I kept thinking to myself "Where is Suki?" then she finally made an appearance, lol. Definitely an underlooked character, IMO. We all know about Zuko and Sokka, what hasn't been said about those two?

It's the series that inspired me to take up writing as a hobby in my spare time. Not once did that show talk down to me at all. It treats it's audience with respect, instead of mindless idiots.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I don't really like anime all too much, but I do like A:TLA. There's just something so.. mystical about it. Not sure what it is. I love pretty much everything about it, despite it definitely having anime-style quirks to it at times.
I have very specific tastes in anime(cough card game anime cough), but that’s about it for me tbh.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I haven't watched ATLA since the finale originally aired on Nickelodeon all those years back (now I feel old). Definitely due for a rewatch at some point since I remember loving it.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
ATLA was able to tell a dark story in a fantasy world within the constraints of a children's narrative I call that very impressive.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I need to rewatch all of ATLA, but I want to see LOK too.

Also, I don't think I'll be able to find all four seasons of Bakugan separately yet. Seeing the first season again is great. I think I missed the last season, 4, though? I remember Vestroia and Galarian or whatever somewhat well.

Alicorn

Cyber Bunny
LOK wasn't a bad series its just feels bad when you compare it to ALTA which set a high bar for both animation and storytelling.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
first season of LOK was great, up until that anticlimactic ending

the rest were meh, tho i liked the guy who said "Zhu-li, do the thing"

Dutch Raikuna

It is amazing that ATLA is able to hold its own against popular anime of this year. Netflix I think has the most anime licences out of all major streaming services.
I've said this to my best friend.

Netflix has a great starter pack of anime for those who want to skim the waters and watch a few. For TV series you've got a great selection.

Examples like Death Note, Full Metal Alchemist, Little Witch Academia, Steins Gate and of course Violet Evergarden which was the one that convinced him.

I've seen ATLA and while it's been a long time since I've completely watched it solo, I do love the show and greatly respect it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Only a handful of popular anime shows interest me. Soul Eater's one of them, JoJo's another. The rest are ones I've been recommended by friends, and I'm certainly willing to give 'em a go because I've heard good things about 'em, including from said friends obv, but on the whole anime just isn't my preferred form of entertainment or animation. I prefer western animation on the whole. When it comes to anime I'll check out what others recommend from time to time, but I don't actively look for tons of new anime to watch. It just ain't really my thing.

I say this while I'm still binging RWBY which has anime influences like ATLA but also isn't actually an anime at all.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Thought Exorcise: If a character was originally meant for one specific game, and then that game is cancelled or their role in it is scrapped, and they then get reused in another different game, do they count as a guest character?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I never even finished Korra, I dropped it around halfway through. Which is a shame since I hear it really picked up in Season 3. But too little too late I suppose.

The one thing about that show that stuck with me was the terrible love triangle nonsense. It just felt like unnecessary drama a lot of the time.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Thought Exorcise: If a character was originally meant for one specific game, and then that game is cancelled or their role in it is scrapped, and they then get reused in another different game, do they count as a guest character?
In a sense, yeah. Cause they aren't from one of the specific games being represented. They can also be just consider an OC for that game otherwise. Even if that's not the intended debut. Ruby Heart and Amingo are interesting ones. I forget which was meant for Darkstalkers. I think the other was made for Marvel VS Capcom?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
In a sense, yeah. Cause they aren't from one of the specific games being represented. They can also be just consider an OC for that game otherwise. Even if that's not the intended debut. Ruby Heart and Amingo are interesting ones. I forget which was meant for Darkstalkers. I think the other was made for Marvel VS Capcom?
We know for a fact that Ruby was a scrapped Darkstalkers character, but we have no idea where Amingo came from.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We know for a fact that Ruby was a scrapped Darkstalkers character, but we have no idea where Amingo came from.
Ah, it was her then. Ruby could be considered a guest in a sense. Amingo appears to be made for it. Which is better than just a palette swap, though to be fair, I think Gold War Machine was based upon a proper variation of one of Iron Man's suits or something? Hyper Venom is Carnage reference or a specific variant from the comics, Bone Claw Wolverine is a real version of Wolverine, Shadow Lady is an actual character, etc. Only one I'm not sure on at all is Orange Hulk, as I don't think he had that color at any point?? I know there's other Hulk colors, though. MvC: Game of Clones :p

Eddie The Pacifist

Smash Lord
LOK is fascinating to me because it is basically perfect aesthetically speaking. The art style, fight choreography and music are genuine 10/10's, at least for me.

It's weaker in the more important parts however, like parts of the plot being messy and breaking the suspension of disbelief (Like the big spirit battle at the end of Book 2, or the giant mecha in Book 4). Also so many of the characters are boring or forgettable, like Mako and Bolin.

But one thing I'll always defend it on is KorraSami. It's crazy to me how people continue to say it came out of nowhere when they started hinting at their relationship at the beginning of Book 3 ("I've never had a girlfriend before") and kept doing so until the finale. Granted, they could have been less subtle considering Aang and Katara was obvious since early Book 1.

Dutch Raikuna

Only a handful of popular anime shows interest me. Soul Eater's one of them, JoJo's another. The rest are ones I've been recommended by friends, and I'm certainly willing to give 'em a go because I've heard good things about 'em, including from said friends obv, but on the whole anime just isn't my preferred form of entertainment or animation. I prefer western animation on the whole. When it comes to anime I'll check out what others recommend from time to time, but I don't actively look for tons of new anime to watch. It just ain't really my thing.

I say this while I'm still binging RWBY which has anime influences like ATLA but also isn't actually an anime at all.
I'm in the crowd of people who would want to convince others that anime isn't all fanservice or over the top insanity. That it can tell compelling stories with it. I made a PowerPoint of it just to convince an anime disliking friend that it ain't all bad which it did OK.

Some of my favourites and a classmates favourite stuff along with generally agreed stuff.

I respect all types of work for the most part, just the classic can't judge a book idea.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870

Please watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood once you finish Soul Eater

My favorite show of all time. It is perfection.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
So today I learned that my older brother has actually watched ATLA.............twice.

My anime/cartoon hating older brother has watched it twice. Then he should at least try anime if he didn't disown me for going to get a coke.

Irepan.exe is malfunctioning.
first season of LOK was great, up until that anticlimactic ending

the rest were meh, tho i liked the guy who said "Zhu-li, do the thing"
Book 3 was a ****ing banger. Easily in the top 3 best Avatar books of all time (hell I’d outing it among some of the best storylines in the entire franchise)
I never even finished Korra, I dropped it around halfway through. Which is a shame since I hear it really picked up in Season 3. But too little too late I suppose.

The one thing about that show that stuck with me was the terrible love triangle nonsense. It just felt like unnecessary drama a lot of the time.
You get no love triangles from Book 3 to Book 4 and all the current Korra comics

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493

Yeah they should’ve spent less time on that and the confusing sport nonsense and focused more on fleshing out the half-baked Amon and bender/non-bender conflict.

Book 3 was a ****ing banger. Easily in the top 3 best Avatar books of all time (hell I’d outing it among some of the best storylines in the entire franchise)
Fair enough but I shouldn’t have to stomach two subpar seasons (aka half the show) to get to the good stuff. I don’t think a good series would do that.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Okay I'll fite you, not because I disagree but because you used to term "waifu".

Now square up.
Challenge accepted

*looks in fighting music playlist.*

*picks the GOAT of fight themes*

*clicks play*

LEGGO FAM

Dutch Raikuna

Trying to decide on a pfp that isn't an anime girl or a landscape pic.

That's hard.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
You have a Liberal arts degree? Would you tell me about it? I want to learn about the liberal arts independently but there are all sorts of things I have to study so it can get confusing for me.
International Relations. Rather than inter-state actors in standard political science, it focuses on countries and non-government organizations (United Nations) as the actors.

Obviously a lot of political science classes were required, but so were history, philosophy, and languages. Was able to combine it with my Japanese minor so I was able to graduate within 4 years. I remember taking classes focused on behavioral theory, aid relief, NGOs, terrorism, Cold War history, Middle Eastern history, etc. There was a surprising amount of math and analytics involved in a few of my upper level courses; make sure you know Algebra.

Haven't found a direct job using it but at least from what my parents/professors have told me, Liberal Arts more or less trains you to learn and critically think to take on a variety of tasks as opposed to specific fields like engineering, teaching, etc. A jack of all trades like a business degree. That's not to say though you can't get into a specific field; My Dad has a Masters in teaching art but was at an insurance company for 30 years.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
There's two types of Zachmac avatars.

There's dragon avatars, because dragons.

Or there's "I just played a new game / bingewatched a show recently and loved one of the characters".

Guess which type of avatar I have right now.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I use images of characters I like as my avatars.

I usually change when I'm no longer content with what I'm using, ago bored with it, or just want to use something new or different.

I tend to have a harder time picking out new avatars nowadays since I'm kinda picky on what screenshots or fanart I use anymore. It's gotta be just right to be avatar material.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I just have my avatar set as whatever. My avatar is Grimm right now since I'm loving Hollow Knight, and he's my favorite character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom