• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
if I make it to page 500 I might **** around and become a smash YouTuber. move over papagenos there's a new game in town. Time to cover every single leak but be even louder than laxchris. I'm gonna put sylux in all my thumbnails in silhouette form

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
if I make it to page 500 I might **** around and become a smash YouTuber. move over papagenos there's a new game in town. Time to cover every single leak but be even louder than laxchris. I'm gonna put sylux in all my thumbnails in silhouette form
*end up on page 501*

ooof

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I was just reading to my daughter as she fell asleep when we got hit by a 3.5 earthquake. Just north of us in Niigata registered as a 6.8 with a tsunami warning.

I had our window open and I could hear the shaking outside as it traveled before the stronger shaking started. Kind of weird. Daughter is wide awake now and we are all kind of jittery. This is the second one since yesterday.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How do I delete my previous post here so that we can see the birth of a new Smashtuber.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I mean, the idea of "Just rolling over and taking it" isn't ideal either. In fact, it's arguably one of the de-facto worst mindsets to have as a consumer, because it means you'll let a company get away with a bad business practice and still defend them for it.

Do you know why people voice complaints? Because they know things can be better.

I don't think 'anyone' liked the mission structure in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, and it's BECAUSE people hated on it that the Devs themselves looked at discussion forums, saw the hate and realized "Maybe we shouldn't do this next time.", which, mind you, they themselves admit it's due to us, the fans. People could have just said "Yeah, I don't like the mission structure but at least we got a new game...." in a defeatist way, and LM3 could have had Missions again, but they didn't, they let their voice be heard, and the devs listened. If you don't like something, don't be afraid to speak out. You have a voice, you can and should voice your displeasure.

Mario Maker 2's another great example. No online friend co-op? **** no that's awful, and Nintendo listened. We're probably going to get it now, which adds replay-ability and fun to a great looking game.

And again, Ultimate. It'll never happen again, but Sakurai looked at what the fans wanted, and delivered. We'd never get every.single.character back with characters like Ridley, K.Rool and Banjo were it not for the fans more or less saying "We want this in Smash." The next Smash will never be able to repeat what Ultimate did, but that's fine, it's a once in a lifetime thing.

No one should just "Accept" or "Be grateful" for a product being pushed out if it doesn't meet their demands, we have a voice, we're allowed to use it, and judging by Nintendo's current events, they 'do' actually care about what we have to say. Look at what happened with Chibi Robo. Nintendo shoehorned out a subpar game, and despite the fans knowing it'd probably kill the series, they told Nintendo "No, this isn't what we want." People could have just rolled over and said "At least Chibi Robo got a game..." But fans spoke very loud to Nintendo that "No, we don't want this, we deserve better than a hastily **** out game."

Do I 'care' about Sword/Shield's controversy?

No, not really. I haven't been in love with Pokemon for a long time and wasn't going to get it anyway.(I don't even HAVE a Switch)

But this "We should be grateful that corporate is pumping out a yearly game" attitude is piss poor. "Rolling over and letting corporate have its way with you" is one of the worst attitudes to have as a consumer. Nintendo, Gamefreak, etc are not your friends. They're businesses who put business, and money, first. They don't care about you, they care about lining their pockets. Stop defending businesses for bad business practices, they're not your friend.

Sword and Shield will sell millions, this is an undeniable fact, the worst selling mainline Pokemon game sold 14 million ****ing copies, but their lack of communication with the community, unlike Nintendo between constant Directs and the developers giving us updates on games, is appalling. If they want to nurture a healthy relationship with the community, they need to be less transparent. They need to say "This is our roadmap, here's what to expect." Pokemon has gotten to a point where they realize that they're too big to fail; this fan backlash is a wakeup call for them to realize "Maybe we should try to talk with our fans for a change instead of just expecting them to buy our new game because it's a new game."

Trust me when I say, if they had actually gone into detail about the fact that "Not every Pokemon will be in SwSd" and added a "but here's out 5 year plan", I guarantee you that the backlash would be MUCH less severe, because fans would understand what the hell to expect instead of fearing their favorites are gone for god knows how many years. As is? We know nothing because they've basically SAID nothing. We don't know what Pokemon are gone and when they'll even BE back, and this lack of transparency can only be blamed on Gamefreak, no one else. Now of all times they should make a statement to try to calm fans fears, but they've done nothing and have hoped this will blow over, which, I'm sorry that is a ****ty move and a blatant spit in the face of the fans which have genuine concerns going forward.

Because I assure you, no, this isn't going to blow over, it's Pokemon, you literally can't show us new **** aside from new Pokemon, and the more new Pokemon that you show us, the angrier people are going to get. The new mechanic that they had hoped would become the next big thing, Dynamaxing, basically fizzled out completely. What else is there? A couple pretty locations you'll go to once and never again? There is no "They'll forget when they see new stuff", because the only new stuff to show is Pokemon, and all that's going to do is breed more "Wow, cool Pokemon. Shame I can't use it on a team with my other favorites." Even JAPAN is pissed about this. JAPAN! They almost never see eye to eye with us on stuff like this, and yet they're just as pissed, if not MORE.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
Well said, Shroob.

Every Pokémon is someone's favourite. Every Pokémon. This includes the Garbage Pokémon, and the infamous "Last Place in the Popularity Poll" Simisear.

The Pokémon Company has been removing content between Generations for years, but now it's extending to actual Pokémon which isn't right. You can make an okay argument for keeping each game unique by keeping certain mechanics limited to that game, (even though some of them should come back because they're just good ideas, like the DexNav). There is no good argument for removing Pokémon except for incentivizing purchases of other games and products.

Last edited by a moderator:

culumon

Smash Apprentice
I was just reading to my daughter as she fell asleep when we got hit by a 3.5 earthquake. Just north of us in Niigata registered as a 6.8 with a tsunami warning.

I had our window open and I could hear the shaking outside as it traveled before the shaking started. Kind of weird. Daughter is wide awake now and we are all kind of jittery. This is the second one since yesterday.
This might seem an empty platitude coming from a stranger on the internet, but I hope everything winds up okay. Stay safe.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Well said, Shroob.

Every Pokémon is someone's favourite. Every Pokémon. This includes the Garbage Pokémon, and the infamous "Last Place in the Popularity Poll" Simisear.

The Pokémon Company has been removing content between Generations for years, but now it's extending to actual Pokémon which isn't right. You can make an okay argument for keeping each game unique by keeping certain mechanics limited to that game, (even though some of them should come back because they're just good ideas, like the DexNav). There is no good argument for removing Pokémon except for incentivizing purchases of other games and products.
I know a good few people that love the pokemon in Unova that people love to hate

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
This might seem an empty platitude coming from a stranger on the internet, but I hope everything winds up okay. Stay safe.
Thanks. It’s rather alarming to have more than one m earthquakes the general area around the same time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tōkai_earthquakes

The earthquake prediction experts are expecting a megaquake within our general lifetime in the Tokyo to Osaka region with it registering as an 8 or 9.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
Well said, Shroob.

Here's my take on this.

They've said that they ran into issues reusing the intended-to-be-reused-indefinitely models, due to architecture differences from the 3ds and switch. That's fine. Trying to balance for a smaller amount of pokemon in the region? Also fine.

I'm just baffled that they aren't outsourcing or contracting the work for importing the models and data into this game, for transfers alone and not catchability in the main game.

D

Deleted member

Treating the biggest multimedia franchise of all time like it's some scrappy underdog that needs to be shielded from criticism is... kind of a silly look, if you ask me.

Nobody is taking anybody's right to enjoy SwoShi away. It will easily be one of the commercially successful games of the decade. I get being wary about widespread gamer outcry turning toxic as has so often happened in the past, and not all the arguments have been 100% fair (none of this is the result of a desparately understaffed dev team being "lazy"), but for the most part I'm just relishing finally seeing even the tiniest of dents in the armour of the Pokémon Company's monopoly after they got away with releasing USUM and an RGBY remake with less content than the last RGBY remake at double the price.

Corporations are not, have never been and will never be your friend.
I'll have you know me and John Nintendo go way back, that dude would never betray me.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Here's my take on this.

They've said that they ran into issues reusing the intended-to-be-reused-indefinitely models, due to architecture differences from the 3ds and switch. That's fine. Trying to balance for a smaller amount of pokemon in the region? Also fine.

I'm just baffled that they aren't outsourcing or contracting the work for importing the models and data into this game, for transfers alone and not catchability in the main game.
What really matters is if Zorua/Zoroark get in or not.

Hey
where'd everyone go...?
Living a life somewhere.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
And again, Ultimate. It'll never happen again, but Sakurai looked at what the fans wanted, and delivered. We'd never get every.single.character back with characters like Ridley, K.Rool and Banjo were it not for the fans more or less saying "We want this in Smash." The next Smash will never be able to repeat what Ultimate did, but that's fine, it's a once in a lifetime thing.
See, how is this different? Sakurai says "this roster was a ton of work, and we probably won't be able to do something like this again" and people are totally cool with it. Pokemon Company says "the full Dex is a ton of work, and I don't think we're going to be able to do this again" and the internet looses it's mind. Is it the timing? If after Sun/Moon they'd just said, "we're jumping to console and we don't think we'll be able to get the whole Dex in" would people have been OK with it?

I'd argue the era of entitlement can be just as negative as rolling over and taking it from a corporation. In the past if people didn't like a product they didn't buy it, they'd buy something they did like. Now the internet and social media has emboldened the attitude of "if I ***** and moan about it enough, making sure no one has a good time, they'll have to give me what I want!" As you pointed out it has produced good results in the past, but people take it too far. There are ways to voice dislike of a game companies decisions without being a ****. You mention Luigi's Mansion improving from consumer feedback, and I don't remember any mass internet riots being necessary to make that happen.

As hard as it is to believe, there are people who are happy with this game. A full Dex isn't a big deal, and they'll have a good time. Then the world yells at them that they shouldn't be happy with it. That they're dirty apologists or something. I don't think that's fair.

I don't even have a horse in this race. But I feel bad for guys like Noipoi who can't go an hour without someone explaining why the game they're excited for and the company they love isn't good and should be vilified.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
See, how is this different? Sakurai says "this roster was a ton of work, and we probably won't be able to do something like this again" and people are totally cool with it. Pokemon Company says "the full Dex is a ton of work, and I don't think we're going to be able to do this again" and the internet looses it's mind. Is it the timing? If after Sun/Moon they'd just said, "we're jumping to console and we don't think we'll be able to get the whole Dex in" would people have been OK with it?

I'd argue the era of entitlement can be just as negative as rolling over and taking it from a corporation. In the past if people didn't like a product they didn't buy it, they'd buy something they did like. Now the internet and social media has emboldened the attitude of "if I ***** and moan about it enough, making sure no one has a good time, they'll have to give me what I want!" As you pointed out it has produced good results in the past, but people take it too far. There are ways to voice dislike of a game companies decisions without being a ****. You mention Luigi's Mansion improving from consumer feedback, and I don't remember any mass internet riots being necessary to make that happen.

As hard as it is to believe, there are people who are happy with this game. A full Dex isn't a big deal, and they'll have a good time. Then the world yells at them that they shouldn't be happy with it. That they're dirty apologists or something. I don't think that's fair.

I don't even have a horse in this race. But I feel bad for guys like Noipoi who can't go an hour without someone explaining why the game they're excited for and the company they love isn't good and should be vilified.
Sakurai also literally had Bandai-Namco and their resources/contractors to offload most of the work to speed up dev time.

The Pokemon not being in also wouldn't be nearly as bad if they didn't say they were focused on improving animations. The animations still look nearly the same.

It baffles me that Pokemon Battle Revolution looks better than most of this.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Dr. Mario World better have Dr. Wario and Dr. Waluigi or will very mad.
Wario appeared in his plumber outfit in the N64 version. I'd love it if he and the Wario Land baddies returned as the bosses.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Maybe y'all have passed the point in this discussion where this is relevant, but to help myself get a little perspective on the amount of work it to make all these pokemon, I estimated the number of pokemon animations in USUM and cross compared it to an estimate of the number of monster/boss animations in DQXI (which I'm familiar enough with to make some reasonable heuristics). I don't claim that raw animation count is an indicator of the amount of work done, nor do I claim that the amount of work needed addresses all these complaints, but numbers are always nice to have, so I figured I'd save people the ~20 minutes of research I spent finding these numbers.
I counted about 900 unique pokemon models (counting Alolan forms, megas, and a few other alternate forms that I figured needed seperate animations). I assume each of these have 4 or 5 different animations, but it's been a while so please correct me if I'm wrong on that. That would give us a total of 3600 ~ 4500 animations.
For DQXI, I counted 129 unique monsters and bosses, but I'll round that up to 130 since I'm not super confident in that number and round numbers are nice. With a rather small random sampling of different monsters, I got roughly 10 animations per monster (low of 7, high of 12, but I have reasons to believe the lower numbers aren't particularly good). That would give us ~1300 animations.
Again, there's a lot of other factors at play here, so don't think these numbers necessarily mean much (I personally don't know enough to make an informed stance on the matter), but there they are if it helps anyone.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

Smash has had cuts since Brawl, and that’s due to graphical upgrades each game and how characters can drastically change between games. And even when it does happen, it’s 5 characters at most.

Pokémon hasn’t had cuts since Gen 2 into 3. Pokémon don’t really change between generations besides getting like one or two new moves that already have the animations done. Every Pokémon already had a model and animations, unlike Smash where ever characters needs a new model and animations (except for Ultimate which was to bring everyone back). Finally, potentially 50% of all Pokémon are going to be Thanos’d away. You can bet that if 50% of the Smash roster got cut there’d be riots all over the Internet.

Simple answer: it seems to take a lot more work to bring back a Smash Fighter than to port a Pokémon over to a new game.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Yeah, even if they could just be imported into the game so you can look at their Dex entry in HD I feel like people would be less upset.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Wario appeared in his plumber outfit in the N64 version. I'd love it if he and the Wario Land baddies returned as the bosses.
Fun fact: The first WarioWare game has a full game of Dr. Mario but rebranded as Dr. Wario.

The more reason to add Wario.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
On the previous conversation, I honestly feel DP was saved by Platinum in a lot of ways. The latter is touted as one of the best games in the series and DP did provide the base, but a lot of the fan favorite features were a result of Platinum and its changes. With DP they were mechanically slow and you can tell there was a struggle with adapting to the system, especially when it comes to battles, the geological layout as mentioned before was bad and the HM issue was at its worst, the Pokedex distribution was one of the weakest in the franchise with some types not having more then a couple options (ex. Fire and Dragon, Electric also wasn't much better), and the pacing wasn't great due to things like (as mentioned before) the constant revisits to Mt. Coronet. It did have good content like the Contests and the Underground, but it was not as solid and tight-knit of a game as they could've been.

Platinum greatly fleshed things out for Sinnoh, the gameplay was faster (still slow relative to most other games, but an improvement ), the Pokedex was greatly patched up, it added even more content on top of the already good amount DP provided like the Battle Frontier and fleshed out characters like Cynthia (who has twice as many appearances in Platinum and her appearances were more meaty like the Distortion World) and added Looker, who both went on to become some of Pokémon's most popular and recurring characters after the Pokémon themselves. It did carry over some of the previous issues like the geological layout, and it's one of the reasons why I still don't like Sinnoh as a whole, but overall it was a more solid game then what came before it.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Fun fact: The first WarioWare game has a full game of Dr. Mario but rebranded as Dr. Wario.

The more reason to add Wario.
That was my first experience of Dr. Mario - didn't play the actual version until the NES library for Switch online

Also Chill > Fever

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696

I'm not really a part of this Pokemon debate; I didn't know every Pokemon game before now had a full pokedex and assumed that some had been cut since Black/White. When the news that not all pokemon would be in this one my reaction was, "...yeah, duh?"

But I've been on the side wanting to enjoy a game and being told I shouldn't. Or worse, that I'm a part of the problem because I dare enjoy something I want to enjoy. It doesn't feel good. At all.

Guys, don't be those kinds of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom