• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just Joker is not enough of a precedent to go off of. With the large catalog of character Rare (let alone Microsoft) has, and the unused data for Rare spirits, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them when Banjo comes out.

If The Hero comes with just DQ spirits we can say it’s very likely the DLC characters will only have spirits from their series (although they probably would add more Final Fantasy spirits if the didn’t have trouble getting the rights to the designs, as we can see in Cloud only having his Smash artwork), and if Banjo comes without them we can say it’s confirmed.

It’s similar to how after Joker everyone was saying the characters will only be from new third party series not in Smash. It would be quick to jump on that right after Joker, but after seeing The Hero and Banjo-Kazooie it’s a much safer bet.
Joker represents Persona 5. Hero represents Dragon Quest 11. Banjo represents Banjo-Kazooie.

seems pretty plain to me going off the website

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
its banjo spirits not rare spirits

we didnt get any persona 3/4 spirits now did we
That'd be entirely up to the license holder. Perhaps Atlus already has P3/P4 stuff wrapped up in other fighting games (P4A/BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle) and can only license its music. Most IP license deals give the company rights to that IP within a certain space, like with a genre in mind, to prevent companies from competing with each other with the same IP.

D

Deleted member

I mean, the idea of "Just rolling over and taking it" isn't ideal either. In fact, it's arguably one of the de-facto worst mindsets to have as a consumer, because it means you'll let a company get away with a bad business practice and still defend them for it.

Do you know why people voice complaints? Because they know things can be better.

I don't think 'anyone' liked the mission structure in Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, and it's BECAUSE people hated on it that the Devs themselves looked at discussion forums, saw the hate and realized "Maybe we shouldn't do this next time.", which, mind you, they themselves admit it's due to us, the fans. People could have just said "Yeah, I don't like the mission structure but at least we got a new game...." in a defeatist way, and LM3 could have had Missions again, but they didn't, they let their voice be heard, and the devs listened. If you don't like something, don't be afraid to speak out. You have a voice, you can and should voice your displeasure.

Mario Maker 2's another great example. No online friend co-op? **** no that's awful, and Nintendo listened. We're probably going to get it now, which adds replay-ability and fun to a great looking game.

And again, Ultimate. It'll never happen again, but Sakurai looked at what the fans wanted, and delivered. We'd never get every.single.character back with characters like Ridley, K.Rool and Banjo were it not for the fans more or less saying "We want this in Smash." The next Smash will never be able to repeat what Ultimate did, but that's fine, it's a once in a lifetime thing.

No one should just "Accept" or "Be grateful" for a product being pushed out if it doesn't meet their demands, we have a voice, we're allowed to use it, and judging by Nintendo's current events, they 'do' actually care about what we have to say. Look at what happened with Chibi Robo. Nintendo shoehorned out a subpar game, and despite the fans knowing it'd probably kill the series, they told Nintendo "No, this isn't what we want." People could have just rolled over and said "At least Chibi Robo got a game..." But fans spoke very loud to Nintendo that "No, we don't want this, we deserve better than a hastily **** out game."

Do I 'care' about Sword/Shield's controversy?

No, not really. I haven't been in love with Pokemon for a long time and wasn't going to get it anyway.(I don't even HAVE a Switch)

But this "We should be grateful that corporate is pumping out a yearly game" attitude is piss poor. "Rolling over and letting corporate have its way with you" is one of the worst attitudes to have as a consumer. Nintendo, Gamefreak, etc are not your friends. They're businesses who put business, and money, first. They don't care about you, they care about lining their pockets. Stop defending businesses for bad business practices, they're not your friend.

Sword and Shield will sell millions, this is an undeniable fact, the worst selling mainline Pokemon game sold 14 million ****ing copies, but their lack of communication with the community, unlike Nintendo between constant Directs and the developers giving us updates on games, is appalling. If they want to nurture a healthy relationship with the community, they need to be less transparent. They need to say "This is our roadmap, here's what to expect." Pokemon has gotten to a point where they realize that they're too big to fail; this fan backlash is a wakeup call for them to realize "Maybe we should try to talk with our fans for a change instead of just expecting them to buy our new game because it's a new game."

Trust me when I say, if they had actually gone into detail about the fact that "Not every Pokemon will be in SwSd" and added a "but here's out 5 year plan", I guarantee you that the backlash would be MUCH less severe, because fans would understand what the hell to expect instead of fearing their favorites are gone for god knows how many years. As is? We know nothing because they've basically SAID nothing. We don't know what Pokemon are gone and when they'll even BE back, and this lack of transparency can only be blamed on Gamefreak, no one else. Now of all times they should make a statement to try to calm fans fears, but they've done nothing and have hoped this will blow over, which, I'm sorry that is a ****ty move and a blatant spit in the face of the fans which have genuine concerns going forward.

Because I assure you, no, this isn't going to blow over, it's Pokemon, you literally can't show us new **** aside from new Pokemon, and the more new Pokemon that you show us, the angrier people are going to get. The new mechanic that they had hoped would become the next big thing, Dynamaxing, basically fizzled out completely. What else is there? A couple pretty locations you'll go to once and never again? There is no "They'll forget when they see new stuff", because the only new stuff to show is Pokemon, and all that's going to do is breed more "Wow, cool Pokemon. Shame I can't use it on a team with my other favorites." Even JAPAN is pissed about this. JAPAN! They almost never see eye to eye with us on stuff like this, and yet they're just as pissed, if not MORE.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.
I just read this and amazing work, I completely agree.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
I hate to bring something up from a few pages ago but this is bar none of the saddest things to read as a game developer. I've personally worked 60 hours+ per week for months at a time on a project to ensure it comes to fruition only to be called "lazy," by a playerbase because of entirely unreasonable expectations on the part of gamers. I wish there was better education on what it takes to build out a game so that gamers would have more empathy when things need to be cut in order to release on time.

To properly re-topograph, rig, and animate attack animations for these characters to fit the quality bar that they've set on the team would take an obcene amount of time. And important to note is that this is a part of the pipeline; it can't be done in a vacuum. After that work is done, VFX artists and sound designers can get to work on those Pokemon, so that adds more time. Like, they could totally do it, but the game would release in like, late 2020 or early 2021 instead, and whether or not it's actually an effective use of resources comes heavily into question. Ignoring the actual cost of production vs sales of Sword/Shield, by that point the Switch's lifespan would be closer to over, and they'd have to do this same song and dance for the next game on the next console to meet a higher bar of quality. The demand that every single Pokemon be in each new game is a massive burden any time they want to improve the quality of their models and would make it happen far less often. They did it for Pokemon X/Y, but now there's like 200+ more Pokemon and they were probably having 3D modelers work on those while the rest of the team was at work on Pokemon Black/White 2. I totally understand being bummed out (I'm sure some of my favorite Pokemon will be absent from this entry) but it's super dejecting to see this lack of empathy from gamers on this issue.
I do empathize with game development being difficult, but to say players are being unreasonable for wanting something that the series has always had disgusts me, especially when those players are just expected to spend $70+ for it. I think the focus of a "core" game should be on what that game is at its core, not gimmicky features like "dynamaxing."

I also mentioned in a later reply that I don't really necessarily mean that developers actively working on the game are lazy, but the people handling the PR around the situation absolutely are, it's like they seem to think that they can just ignore the backlash and it will go away.

A lot of what I've been saying has, admittedly, from a place of sadness and anger, and when I think about it more objectively I do understand the situation the developers are in, but there really does need to be more transparency from Game Freak and The Pokemon Company regarding this situation.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've been 100+ pages behind for over a week. Holy crap, they put Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. :079:

Gonna splurge about Gears for a second because I'm no longer really a presence on the Gears forums (way too toxic) and I need an outlet.

Putting it in a spoiler in case no one cares.
  • I love the new main character designs and how they're going back to Gears 1/2 style armor, rather than the exposed arms/cargo pants look in Gears 3/4.
  • I also appreciate that the epitome of a dudebro series has chosen to make its sole remaining female protagonist its lead. The series has come a long way from explaining that there were no playable female characters because they were all "busy having babies". Now we have Kait front and center on the box art. Can't wait to hear Laura Bailey in the role.
  • I want to know why they used three random-*** Gears for the Escape trailer. Gears 4 for whatever reason added a whole bunch of nameless random characters and people ate them up in online multiplayer. I really hope they aren't filling gaps with more nameless random-*** people but I'm pretty sure they are. That said, Escape looks tight.
  • I love that the game legitimately seems different from what we've seen so far. They've preached that they're done playing it safe with the formula and I trust Rod Ferguson when he says that. I want to get in that beta and play it, because Gears 4 felt so satisfying but it was really just the Gears 2/3 formula perfected.
  • There better not be a ****ing ****ton of microtransactions again or so help me God I will... only buy a couple and complain again. But even the stuff you earn in game got so ****ing tedious.
    > Open the store
    > move past two promotional tabs to get to the purchase page
    > select your pack
    > move your cursor down from real money to in-game currency
    > purchase
    > click okay
    > move cursor off of "open" to cancel if you want to buy more packs
    > repeat as necessary
    > finally open the packs, one by one, each with an unskippable animation and individual flipping cards with a loud metal-on-metal sound effect
    > finally finish and have an annoying orange "new" icon on your inventory until you scroll through Bounties, Characters, Skins, Emblems and Horde abilities to find every. single. one. (even when they're duplicates)
    > open each duplicate
    > scroll down to "scrap duplicates"
    > confirm "okay"
    > another unskippable animation
    > rinse repeat until all duplicates are gone and you gained like 100 scrap towards the card you actually wanted this whole damn time, which obviously costs way more than 100 scrap
    They better not do that again or I won't care about my progress this time.
  • Horde better have less ability grind and more strategy focus.
  • Can we get Capture the Leader back? That mode was awesome.
  • Anya better be a multiplayer character or I riot.
If we both manage to get in (and if it's even possible to play with friends) we should play together during the beta. I've not touched 4 since the last major update (that wasn't just balance tweaks/cosmetics). I'm in a similar boat of having given up on the Gears forums (having been one of the handful that actually liked Overrun in Judgment, and being excited that they're reusing elements from it in Escape), and haven't had much chance to talk about how excited I am for 5.

D

Deleted member

Alright, for the Sword and Shield debate...
I completely understand the whole "The workers work hard thing", but Sword and Shield needs to be delayed, even if it looses a lot of yen.
Sword and Shield does not look good graphically, and Z-Crystals, Mega Evolutions and a lot of the Pokemon being gone hurts.
I know, they have to release it for a good stock market, but still. It is going to sell massive amounts either way. Also, casual consumers are not as much of a cog to these companies as we think they are. If they notice they can not transfer their Pokemon, they will get angry and probably not buy the next games. I mean...
1560881466903.png

Anyways, I appreciate the hard work and effort, but I agree with Shroob that Game Freak needs to listen to the majority of the fans. The only way to end this Sword and Shield drama is to just delay it and add the things most of us fans want. It is better to present a good game late than present a sloppy game in the holidays. Refer to Miyamoto's quote. Plus, the workers could use a break anyways, it would be heavily appreciated.
Miyamoto's quote is obligatory. "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
Hello, long post incoming. Also probably off-topic.

Some of you may remember me. I used to post here a couple months ago, but this is my first post since version 3.0 launched and that is no coincidence.

With the recent outrage about games like Mario Maker 2 and it's lack of online play with friends, or Pokémon Sword and Shield's removal of National Dex, I thought it would be a good time to bring this up. Some of you may have noticed I was quite irritated when 3.0 launched, and it wasn't because of the server issues that were happening then. I actually downloaded the update and Joker with no problems. The real reason I was so angry was because of something so seemingly small to everyone else, but super important to me. That being the inability to play your Custom Stages in Custom Smash, the mode where you can change the status of the fighters, like Metal or Giant/Small.

There's this quote from Jim Sterling that was used to describe the Mario Maker situation that I believe applies here, being "Nintendo gives with one hand, sticks its finger up its bum with the other. There's always a caveat with Nintendo, whenever there's something good in the works there's always one little thing, one little catch to just sour the pudding altogether." On one hand, we get online multiplayer in SMM2, with the catch being the inability to play with friends. In my case, on one hand we get Stage Builder back, with the catch being that you can't play your stages in Custom Smash (and also Training). This wasn't a problem in Brawl or Sm4sh, so why is it a problem here? The only evidence I have for why this is the case is that you can change the game speed in those modes, so maybe Custom Stages aren't compatible with speed changes? Why not make it so that if you change the speed in Custom Smash, your stages won't appear but changing anything else will allow you to play them still? Nintendo doesn't bother to look for work arounds, just like there "leaderboards" excuse for SMM2, why not make so that when playing with friends, it doesn't affect the leaderboards?

Hopefully people understand how I feel about this now, as to me, this is just as important as the SMM2 problem or the National Dex cut. But the thing is, there's no mass fan outcry for my problem. At least Mario Maker's getting a patch to fix the issue, because they listened to the huge fan demand. But me? I'm just sitting here upset about an issue that I've not seen a single soul on the Internet bring up.

Well that's pretty much it, I guess. I still have hope that a patch will come and fix my problem, even if it's kind of obscure, but like I said, it's super important to me. Just like how any Pokémon cut from Gen 8 could be someone's favorite, any game mode cut from Smash could be someone's favorite.

I probably won't be posting here again, but if you have something to say about this, I may reply.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I've been 100+ pages behind for over a week. Holy crap, they put Banjo & Kazooie in Smash.:079:

If we both manage to get in (and if it's even possible to play with friends) we should play together during the beta. I've not touched 4 since the last major update (that wasn't just balance tweaks/cosmetics). I'm in a similar boat of having given up on the Gears forums (having been one of the handful that actually liked Overrun in Judgment, and being excited that they're reusing elements from it in Escape), and haven't had much chance to talk about how excited I am for 5.
Is that where I knew you from before Smashboards? I always assumed it was AllisBrawl.

I used to be on the Gears forums all the time around Gears 3/Judgment. I loved Overrun in Judgment too. The Versus was terrible but everything else about the game was vastly underrated.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
what if you

wanted national dex

but masuda said

haha its really cold in galar haha

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Finally fixed my signature. No more broken images!

(Correct as of June 18th, 2019)

I do empathize with game development being difficult, but to say players are being unreasonable for wanting something that the series has always had disgusts me, especially when those players are just expected to spend $70+ for it. I think the focus of a "core" game should be on what that game is at its core, not gimmicky features like "dynamaxing."
The "core" of the Pokemon games have never revolved around transferring Pokemon from previous Gens, nor is Sword and Shield's "core" Dynamax.

The core of every Pokemon game has always been starting your adventure with a starter, capturing and training new Pokemon along the way, battling a series of gyms, and then challenging the Elite Four and Champion so you can beat the game. Sword and Shield is doing all of those things, meaning that you could technically argue that Gen 8 is returning to it's roots by bringing back Gyms and replacing Island Challenges and Totem Pokemon.

I can see why you're upset, but keep in mind that it hasn't even been two weeks yet. Game Freak has a lot to process right now, and they might even be planning their next line of action.

Alright, for the Sword and Shield debate...
I completely understand the whole "The workers work hard thing", but Sword and Shield needs to be delayed, even if it looses a lot of yen.
Sword and Shield does not look good graphically, and Z-Crystals, Mega Evolutions and a lot of the Pokemon being gone hurts.
I know, they have to release it for a good stock market, but still. It is going to sell massive amounts either way. Also, casual consumers are not as much of a cog to these companies as we think they are. If they notice they can not transfer their Pokemon, they will get angry and probably not buy the next games. I mean...
View attachment 228528
Anyways, I appreciate the hard work and effort, but I agree with Shroob that Game Freak needs to listen to the majority of the fans. The only way to end this Sword and Shield drama is to just delay it and add the things most of us fans want. It is better to present a good game late than present a sloppy game in the holidays. Refer to Miyamoto's quote. Plus, the workers could use a break anyways, it would be heavily appreciated.
Miyamoto's quote is obligatory. "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."
Pokemon is one franchise where they can't afford to pull a BotW and delay a game for another year or so to perfect it. TPC has invested millions of dollars in merchandising, television shows, manga, cards, and other things that are all depending on that November release. Not to mention the fact that Nintendo themselves are likely urging them to release it by the 2019 holiday. This will be their big ticket game that will drive the Switch forward.

Most of the backlash is coming from hardcore fans. The casuals who got into Pokemon just recently because of Pokemon Go sparking their interest or their young age preventing them from playing the earlier games likely don't have a team of Pokemon they've been carrying since Ruby and Sapphire. Like you said, the games will end up being successful regardless, and that's because casuals greatly outnumber the hardcore fans. The silent casuals have always made up the majority of sales, and you can't hate Game Freak for going to greater lengths to accommodate them than they are with hardcores. They're simply following the money, like any other company would.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Thats cool but Hero tho
I already posted my thoughts on the Hero Social, but I genuinely thought they handled the character/trailer/presentation as best as they could have.

I was lukewarm on Luminary being the only "alt" that we had heard of aside from possible male/female options (though 11 being the face makes perfect sense in hindsight), as I assumed they would focus heavily on newer content than classic. Then 8/4 showed up (4 is my favorite, though no female version bums me out) and the symphonic song kicked in (and gave me hope for more than 2 songs), the MP bar got shown off and I popped off at my desk at work.

Banjo & Kazooie were my most wanted after Ridley/DS, but I wouldn't have even been mad if we got just Hero for E3. That on top of LM3/LA/AC news/BotW 2 left me incapable of taking it all in for a few days. At this point I just hope we get a release date somewhat soon, before all the simultaneous releases start (FE and MM2)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Respectfully, that "something the series has always had" continually becomes more expensive and time consuming to include with each new game. It's not like cutting a feature that's reasonable in scope, like removing the PC or bike from the game. To me, the core of the game is an accessible RPG by means of simplified turn-based combat with creatures, not "Every game needs to have all 800+ pokemon and then some."

The dev time spent on dynamaxing also couldn't have really been used to make the Pokemon. The work involved there doesn't overlap with the modeling or rigging work needed to add new Pokemon, and most of the overhead is from designers or gameplay programmers.

Game development costs are only increasing, and the value of the $60 "maximum retail price" that has not increased in decades has only gone down as a result of inflation. If in the early 90's you paid $60 for a game, that would have the purchasing power of ~$115 in today's money.
Perhaps I'm a bit biased here since I'm on the other side of the glass, but the game industry is really a race to the bottom with players expecting more from games while paying less than ever before for them. I don't see it being sustainable long-term if it stays like that, and multiple mid-size studios have been closing down in recent years as a result of this push.

osby

Smash Obsessed
We are eventually going to see "X Pokemon stole my fave's slot!" arguments, aren't we?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
The Spongebob artists just looked at Ultimate's roster and laughed.
spongebob: wow 20 years we respect our long history

also spongebob: **** hillenburg we're doing a prequel for money

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We are eventually going to see "X Pokemon stole my fave's slot!" arguments, aren't we?
Not from me. Sneasel's already in.

I'm gonna assume Scizor is in too since he was in Pokken and had a Mega evolution and everything. The only one of my favorites I'm worried won't make it is Magmar/Magby.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Respectfully, that "something the series has always had" continually becomes more expensive and time consuming to include with each new game. It's not like cutting a feature that's reasonable in scope, like removing the PC or bike from the game. To me, the core of the game is an accessible RPG by means of simplified turn-based combat with creatures, not "Every game needs to have all 800+ pokemon and then some."

The dev time spent on dynamaxing also couldn't have really been used to make the Pokemon. The work involved there doesn't overlap with the modeling or rigging work needed to add new Pokemon, and most of the overhead is from designers or gameplay programmers.

Game development costs are only increasing, and the value of the $60 "maximum retail price" that has not increased in decades has only gone down as a result of inflation. If in the early 90's you paid $60 for a game, that would have the purchasing power of ~$115 in today's money.
Perhaps I'm a bit biased here since I'm on the other side of the glass, but the game industry is really a race to the bottom with players expecting more from games while paying less than ever before for them. I don't see it being sustainable long-term if it stays like that, and multiple mid-size studios have been closing down in recent years as a result of this push.
I'm not saying the Pokemon have to be in the game at launch, but they should be patched in later, and real communication with fans needs to happen.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Is that where I knew you from before Smashboards? I always assumed it was AllisBrawl.

I used to be on the Gears forums all the time around Gears 3/Judgment. I loved Overrun in Judgment too. The Versus was terrible but everything else about the game was vastly underrated.
It was both. I mostly lurked, recall I got reacquainted with our mutual friend Poogach, and even got the "played Gears with staindgrey" badge on AiB.

Historically I've always loved PvE more, and class based stuff was right up my alley. Though it was more of a miss for me in 4's version of Horde. Hope they took the feedback they needed for both that and campaign. Loved the footage I've seen so far of Escape.

Shroob

Sup?
So basically, "Game Freak isn't listening to their fans and this was a lazy decision, but the games will still do really well regardless, which makes us furious. It probably won't make a difference, but we'll complain as much as we have to if it means stopping something completely inevitable from happening in this game. If we don't get what we want, then we'll boycott the game, hope for the worst, and pray that Game Freak gets what's coming to them for making this game completely unplayable."

I don't care if I'm in the minority, nor do I care if people consider it blind love for me to cut Game Freak some slack.

Yes, as a consumer, you do have a right to voice your opinion about Game Freak's terrible decisions, and boy, there are quite a few of them. But this? Even if they ported every single Pokemon and gave us a National Dex (which is something that probably could've been accomplished if they really tried), this problem was going to reappear eventually. They can't keep reusing assets indefinitely, and there will come a time when creating every Pokemon from near-scratch would be a laughably bad way to spend development time. So as far as I'm concerned, Game Freak decided not to kick the can any longer and bite the bullet now instead of later. Fans were destined to complain, if not in this Gen, then in the Gen that finally did it. It all basically comes down to wanting this to happen later instead of in Sword and Shield.

People have made their opinions very very clear, but long-term, there's not really a solution to this. Fans will get over this eventually, and that's because they don't really have a choice. It's no secret that Sakurai probably won't be able to bring back every character for the next Smash game regardless of how much he may want to, but fans would likely be more understanding because of how hard he's worked in the past. Game Freak is in an almost identical situation, but people refuse to show them any leeway because of their past decisions. They'll do everything they can to make it seem like these two scenarios are vastly different, but they're not. They never will be, yet it'll always be deemed acceptable to scream and kick Game Freak in the face for not cramming in the extensive list of things fans want within a two-year window and give us a game with BotW quality.

That's what annoys me more than anything else.
You can downplay the fanbase's concerns as whiny all you want. If you did a simple ctrl+f youd notice I never called them lazy.

This **** is inevitible, but when that time comes, you need to be transparent as **** about what your plans for the future are. in that regard, they failed, and they failed us.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pikachu stole Stunfisk's slot, I am rioting and quitting my social life.
You're joking but Stunfisk is among my top 5 Pokemon.

That means it's okay for me to insult a fictional character on the internet and get angry at real people because that's what being a fan means.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
With all the Hero talk, I'm just gonna say that unless Microsoft revives BK, then I expect DQ's popularity in the west to trump Banjo's popularity in the west by a WIDE margin, in case it wasn't like that before.

I'm only saying that, because with DQ11 being rereleased on the Switch around the same time, then kids are gonna see that the cool swordsman is also in another Switch game, and they're gonna try to convince parents to buy it. And if not, I would assume that anyone who could afford a Switch most likely also owns a phone as well, and DQ is on mobile devices for much cheaper, some who are featuted in Smash. And there's DQ8 on 3DS, which is still available on shelfs today.

With Banjo, on the other hand, unless the kid has an Xbox or decent PC so they can get Rare Replay, or just happen to have an N64 laying around, then they would have to get an N64 or Xbox 360, which are not readily accessable nowadays since they're old consoles. And since some options of getting BK can be expensive... yeah...

In other words, unkess something changes, then I bet in a couple of years, the amount of westerners caring for Hero and DQ would VASTLY outweigh the amount if westerners who would care for Banjo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom