• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
I'm not expecting anything to come from the press conference given they also announced a Direct well in advance.

I think at the most we'll get is another minor spin-off game, but I think just tempering expectations to it being about how much money Pokemon Go & Detective Pikachu have made will be the right way to go into it.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Okay. I kind of get Arsene but... the gunplay? How was that a complicated mechanic to make? Like, bayonetta already basically has it.
Shooting a gun in a completely unrelated mechanic (even as a special move) = /= Being able to act out of, jump, dodge, and have your shots amplified via Arsene.

As Bayo you use the guns in a completely different manner, almost solely for extra damage during other moves.

Joker's are useful primarily for the movement/landing options and interrupting people off stage.

I'm not expecting anything to come from the press conference given they also announced a Direct well in advance.

I think at the most we'll get is another minor spin-off game, but I think just tempering expectations to it being about how much money Pokemon Go & Detective Pikachu have made will be the right way to go into it.
My pipe dream at this point is a wave 2 of Pokken Tournament DX DLC, and maybe some VC-esque successor that lets us play Gen 3 games (or at least R/S/E).

D

Deleted member

Iconic or not, it doesn't matter to Sakurai. If it's not a video game, 9 times out of 10, he probably hates it.
Ah, bait o'clock is it? I thought it was 18:27 but I guess I'll need to fix my clock.

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Probably been said before, but if we’re going for a DQ character I’d like to have Slime instead of Erdrick.
CFB5178B-B396-4813-92A5-0EEA7410F64D.png

Admittedly I’m a outsider to the series, but the first thing that comes to my mind with Dragon Quest is the goofy little blue Slime. Plus you could do a whole lot of fun things with a character made out of a gooey substance, along with all the different abilities of Slimes in DQ.

I love smash bros for its tonal range of characters I just hope we have a good balance of DLC characters that are “cool” and characters that are “cute”. As Cloud is a tonal counterpart of Link, Slime would be a counterpart for characters like Kirby.

TL;DR: Give me cute stuff.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Detective Pikachu 2.

Calling it.

They need to make one so Ryan Reynolds can get his handsome ass more money with the movie adaption 2 or 3 years from now.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Ah, I mean, as long as the film was as good as the first, I wouldn't mind.

And I'd hope there'd be enough new stuff to set it apart from the first too...
The problem is the game ended differently than the movie I believe?

They didn't pull the trigger on the Pikachu = Dad thing at the end of the game like they did in the movie did they?

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I said pipe dreams in my last post but now I realize I could still see both of those happening before we ever get another Stadium/Coliseum/Battle Revolution.

I also recall hearing about the idea of a Pokemon style "Warriors/Musou" from a GameXplain video that could never happen because TPCi hates cool things.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Detective Pikachu 2.

Calling it.

They need to make one so Ryan Reynolds can get his handsome *** more money with the movie adaption 2 or 3 years from now.
I mean a sequel for the movie is already greenlit. It’s just a matter of how?
The problem is the game ended differently than the movie I believe?

They didn't pull the trigger on the Pikachu = Dad thing at the end of the game like they did in the movie did they?
No but:
It’s heavily implied. Mewtwo shows up thanks Pikachu and Tim for taking down roger Clifford and retrieving his cells so they can’t be used for evil again.

Before it leaves, mewtwo tells tim is father is still out there and to keep looking. They mentioned how Pikachu has made a deal with mewtwo as well but it’s never specified on what it was.

Most people thought it was exactly what happened in the movie though.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
The sequel to the movie could just be an expansion of the Pokemon universe in theaters for all we know.

The only thing is I'm sure they'll want to keep Ryan Reynolds involved somehow.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Also if we get a new mystery dungeon I hope it has a plot built around the ultra beasts. That would be pretty cool. Maybe necrozma or something else is commanding the ultra beasts to cause destruction and you have to stop it.

Basically you would be from another world bought in to fight threats from another world. That story practically writes itself.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Oof, the gunplay was extremely complicated to make. There are many moves as part of it, and each bullet does different damage and knockback based on the distance.
Kurogane Hammer was annoyed by how many variables he had to account for when he wrote up the data.

Arsene changes all those too, even the frame data.

+I would say Bayo and Ryu took quite a bit to make too.
Yeah, I think I remember Kurogane tweeting a list of all the numbers related to the gun

I'm hoping for a sequel to Gale of Darkness cus I'm pretty sure that game ended on a cliffhanger

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The sequel to the movie could just be an expansion of the Pokemon universe in theaters for all we know.

The only thing is I'm sure they'll want to keep Ryan Reynolds involved somehow.
Harry Goodman P.I.

Pokémon investigator! Coming this summer!

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I think I will, though I'll probably just get the packs of two characters and a stage, plus the free DLC costume pack. (I think it's for the third party characters, but I'm not sure) I'm not familiar with any of them (aside from Zeus in a general sense), but if they're fun, then they're worth it.
The free pack is the 3rd party characters. Enjoy it man. I really had fun. Definitely get Kat. She is one of the best.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
Someone posted Something about Pokémon Mystery Dungeon earlier, which reminded me to ask y’all what Pokémon did you get from your personality test from those games and who did you choose as your partner?

I got Charmander in both games by trying to answer the questions truthfully, which was surprising to me as a kid since I always liked Bulbasaur the best.

As partners, In Red rescue I chose Squirtle and in Explorers of Darkness I picked Piplup.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Detective Pikachu 2.

Calling it.

They need to make one so Ryan Reynolds can get his handsome *** more money with the movie adaption 2 or 3 years from now.
detective pikachu meets deadpool?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Someone posted Something about Pokémon Mystery Dungeon earlier, which reminded me to ask y’all what Pokémon did you get from your personality test from those games and who did you choose as your partner?

I got Charmander in both games by trying to answer the questions truthfully, which was surprising to me as a kid since I always liked Bulbasaur the best.

As partners, In Red rescue I chose Squirtle and in Explorers of Darkness I picked Piplup.
I don’t fully remember, especially when I played through explorers of sky like 16 times playing as every starter. However I do remember getting Pikachu in the first games, squirtle in super. I chose axew in gates to infinity, and I think I was munchlax my first explorers of sky playthrough.

I know I was chimchar in time as well

D

Deleted member

Persona 5S turned me away from musous. Atlus really gave us the middle finger.

D

Deleted member

Probably been said before, but if we’re going for a DQ character I’d like to have Slime instead of Erdrick.
View attachment 224825
Admittedly I’m a outsider to the series, but the first thing that comes to my mind with Dragon Quest is the goofy little blue Slime. Plus you could do a whole lot of fun things with a character made out of a gooey substance, along with all the different abilities of Slimes in DQ.

I love smash bros for its tonal range of characters I just hope we have a good balance of DLC characters that are “cool” and characters that are “cute”. As Cloud is a tonal counterpart of Link, Slime would be a counterpart for characters like Kirby.

TL;DR: Give me cute stuff.
Slime is fine but, as a fan of the series, it doesn't really captures the essence of the main series. It's a cute monster and iconic of the series but it doesn't show much about it as it is pretty much the first monster you fight in every game, so it kinda only shows you a small part of the DQ experience.

Part of what is engrossing to me as a player in DQ is immersing myself into the world, and the heroes in each game are part of what it makes it immersing. Just starting out with a stick/club/crappy sword, lvl 1, no magic spells whatsoever, going to the field the first time encountering the previously mentioned slimes; and then just keep adventuring, meeting party members (sans DQI and kinda in IX), leveling up, obtaining better equipment, new spells, start fighting bigger and meaner monsters until you defeat the demon lord of the game, that's what is engrossing to me as a fan. And the DQ heroes are what make these whole interactions with the world possible.

(On the plus side, a few heroes like V and VIII can tame monsters like Slime. It would be cool if they made an amalgamation of particular heroes moves to make them more unique like they did with Simon and Richter)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Putting Slime before a protagonist would be like putting Jack Frost before Joker.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

i had super mystery dungeon for a bit

i was the chad turtwig and my partner was a mudkip

D

Deleted member

Side note, WHY hasn't the EarthBound battle screen been made into a stage? The stat boxes are the platform and you have to dodge attacks sent out by the current enemy in battle, which changes every time you fight.
This would be a ****ing awesome idea.

'Nuff said.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I was a Piplup and my partner was Torchic and together we were team flightless birds.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Putting Slime before a protagonist would be like putting Jack Frost before Joker.
1559066998694.png

And what's so wrong with that? wrong scene and movie but google didnt show me any others

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

I think I had Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky or something; I never finished it, or got far into it, but I figured I'd share this:

If I remember correctly, I think I got Eevee when I answered truthfully; I love Pikachu, though, so I restarted the game and answered the questions according to something online that said how to get Pikachu. I don't remember exactly which Pokemon was my partner; I think I either got Riolu or Phanpy, maybe another 'mon but idk.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
View attachment 224833

And what's so wrong with that? wrong scene and movie but google didnt show me any others
What's wrong with that is no Persona fan gives a flying **** about Mr. Frost besides the fact he's cute and you murder a bunch of them early in game.

Well granted, there was rocket slime and that was fun...
But then again then agaim there was Jack Bros and Synchronicity and he still didn't make it.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Alright so I wrote up a mechanic for how Leveling Up could work in smash (like for Dragon Quest).
Here it is:

Erdrick Mechanics set - Leveling up and MP systems

In this post I'm going to talk about 2 possible mechanics that could work for a dragon quest hero. It's not a moveset, but instead a mechanics set. Both Leveling up and having Mana points could work entirely seperately, but I decided to put them together here.

MP:
Mana points are used by magical spells, and maybe even some other attacks (like in order to turn them into more powerful skills.)
In order to avoid players being passive by regenerating mana automatically, regaining mp would happen on attacks that are landed. (Bonus: on level ups too)

Alternate: Fast automatic mp regeneration.

Level UP:
The hero character would gain exp in order to level up and gain boosts, at least on attacks as well as higher max mp. (speed and knockback possibly too?)
Smash has all kinds of matches (long and short), which means the mechanic has to be limited in some way in order to prevent a character from being overpowered on longer matches, and allow shorter matches to be balanced as well. This can be done by either a low level/strength cap, or resetting levels each stock, or losing 1 level when losing a stock along with a cap.
Gaining exp to level up would be on attacks landed, in addition to some other actions. so that even matches with short stock counts would allow to level up.

Stats
Lvl1(base):
example tilt-attack: 10% dmg
max mp: 10

lvl2: 12% dmg & 12 max mp.
lvl3: 14% dmg & 14 max mp.
(etc)

Magic
(example) Sizz using 2mp. Zap using 4 mp. etc

MP regen per hit: 2 or 3 mp depending on which attack. And no regen on magic attacks.
extra -> mana regained on level ups: 4-5 mp

EXP
exp needed to level up: 100 (lvl2) -> 150 (lvl3) -> 200 (lvl4) -> etc
(note: that's for if exp points get back to 0 on a level up. Else add 100)

Exp gained per attack or spell landed: 30 pts
on shield: 5 pts
on grab: 5 pts
on throw: 20 pts
on KO: 100 pts ?
on item pick-up: 5 pts ?

So, starting out, the hero would need about 4 normal hits for the first level up, but then that would increase by around 2 each time. (so getting to level 3 from lvl2 would take 5 or 6 clean hits). Other actions would give some exp too, but not as much as getting a clean hit or ko.

Everytime someone would get a normal hit, we could see either near it or near the hero's portrait how much exp and mp were gained, either with numbers or bars, or both.
It could feel like attacks in rpgs that give back some mp, as well as gaining something towards leveling up.

This is one way that the mechanics could work in smash, and there are a few ways to design it so that the character is balanced. I think my favorite is a combination of both a low enough level cap (anywhere between lvl 4 to 9), and losing a stock removing a level or 2. Resetting back to lvl 1 when losing a stock could be fine too if the character is designed with fast levelling in mind.

thanks for reading ;)

It's just an idea for an example of it. I think it could be fun ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom