• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Wow. That's like..... wow. That would never work.
It's not the only error he made in the video either. I'll just copypasta the long-ass comment I wrote on the video. Bold is his statement, italics are my response.

Roger mentions that because both games (FF7R and SSBU) were in development at the same time, he speculates Square Enix decided to hold back on FF7 content to give new renders and such to promote the remake.
"I recall hearing somewhere that the reason there's not much FF music was due to licensing for FF7's music is actually has to go through Uematsu himself and has a hefty price tag attached to it. Same thing with Spirits - Normura's original art in the archives has a big price too. That's why Cloud is one of the few characters who uses his Ultimate renders instead."

Roger mentions Sephiroth could be done as a "Chrom-style echo fighter."
Also, it genuinely baffles me that people still don't understand how echo fighters work. To work, they must share the same skeleton, so height, body proportions, and even weapon shape affect how it works. Sephiroth's height, proportions, and weapons are far too different from Cloud's to be an echo fighter. It's the same reason Crow couldn't be Joker's echo. In addition, giving Sephiroth moves he doesn't have, like the ability to charge limits, and his fighting style, and even taking his flight away would be a huge disservice to the character. It's all original fighter or not at all in DLC; they have literally said this before. Cloud's a more rough and tumble brute strength fighter, whereas Sephiroth is far more dexterous and nimble. And sure, Chrom got ONE move that's different - but it's still copy-pasted from another fighter.

Roger mentions he thinks we'll get Barret and Tifa Mii Fighter costumes for Brawler and Gunner solely to promote the remake and suggests each one will come with a new FF7R song.
I could see Barret, Aerith, and Tifa costumes at the very least, but I doubt they'd come with music and if they did it'd probably be only one song, with all three sold together.

Roger mentions that part of Square Enix's restrictions on Cloud were that he could not appear in the World of Light opening cutscene, simply because he does not appear.
Also, do note that there were plenty of characters who weren't in the WoL cutscene - Roy and Chrom, Luigi, Ryu and Ken, Richter, Peach, Daisy, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Wolf, Wario, Dark Samus, Ness, Lucas, Sheik, Lucina, Young Link, Ganondorf, Ike, Mr. Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Olimar, R.O.B., Robin, Isabelle, Bowser Jr., Little Mac, Pac-Man, Corrin, Ridley, and Incineroar do not make appearances at all. All your "evidence" is circumstantial at best.

Miscellaneous.
I really hope you're right, but you're way off the mark if you're assuming we're getting extra. I mean, P5 Scramble just came out and you don't see them rushing to promote that.
"

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
So any new rumours or anything gaming wise?

Pretty bored at the minute.
not so much a rumour but imran khan reported that the mario 2 content in MM2 is actually the scraps of a cancelled theme and the game's development has basically been prematurely shuttered

bit depressing

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm watching the RogersBase video now. I don't see how Sephiroth would work as a Cloud echo, since the two would (from my limited FF7 experience - I just beat the game for the first time in the past year, and I watched Advent Children for the first time shortly after) play nothing alike, but I'd love to see FF7 Mii costumes that come with music and/or spirits.

Sephiroth as a Mii Swordsman, Tifa as a Brawler, and Barrett as a Gunner seem obvious, or maybe they could go outside of FF7. (Terra? Cecil? Gilgamesh?) Plus, One Winged Angel seems like a huge omission, and I'm not sure why they didn't include it. (not sure what other songs should be included, but I'm not familiar enough with FF7's music to know the songs by name)

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's not the only error he made in the video either. I'll just copypasta the long-ass comment I wrote on the video. Bold is his statement, italics are my response.

Roger mentions that because both games (FF7R and SSBU) were in development at the same time, he speculates Square Enix decided to hold back on FF7 content to give new renders and such to promote the remake.
"I recall hearing somewhere that the reason there's not much FF music was due to licensing for FF7's music is actually has to go through Uematsu himself and has a hefty price tag attached to it. Same thing with Spirits - Normura's original art in the archives has a big price too. That's why Cloud is one of the few characters who uses his Ultimate renders instead."

Also, it genuinely baffles me that people still don't understand how echo fighters work. To work, they must share the same skeleton, so height, body proportions, and even weapon shape affect how it works. Sephiroth's height, proportions, and weapons are far too different from Cloud's to be an echo fighter. It's the same reason Crow couldn't be Joker's echo. In addition, giving Sephiroth moves he doesn't have, like the ability to charge limits, and his fighting style, and even taking his flight away would be a huge disservice to the character. It's all original fighter or not at all in DLC; they have literally said this before. Cloud's a more rough and tumble brute strength fighter, whereas Sephiroth is far more dexterous and nimble. And sure, Chrom got ONE move that's different - but it's still copy-pasted from another fighter.

Roger mentions he thinks we'll get Barret and Tifa Mii Fighter costumes for Brawler and Gunner solely to promote the remake and suggests each one will come with a new FF7R song.
I could see Barret, Aerith, and Tifa costumes at the very least, but I doubt they'd come with music and if they did it'd probably be only one song, with all three sold together.

Roger mentions that part of Square Enix's restrictions on Cloud were that he could not appear in the World of Light opening cutscene, simply because he does not appear.
Also, do note that there were plenty of characters who weren't in the WoL cutscene - Roy and Chrom, Luigi, Ryu and Ken, Richter, Peach, Daisy, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Dr. Mario, Pichu, Wolf, Wario, Dark Samus, Ness, Lucas, Sheik, Lucina, Young Link, Ganondorf, Ike, Mr. Game & Watch, Meta Knight, Olimar, R.O.B., Robin, Isabelle, Bowser Jr., Little Mac, Pac-Man, Corrin, Ridley, and Incineroar do not make appearances at all. All your "evidence" is circumstantial at best.

Miscellaneous.
I really hope you're right, but you're way off the mark if you're assuming we're getting extra. I mean, P5 Scramble just came out and you don't see them rushing to promote that."
Same. Honestly. I think if we were going to get any FFVII content at all, it would be now to promote the remake, or alongside Dr. Coyle (or potentially Geno). But I'm certainly not certain it will happen. I would love it too, but I have no idea if it actually will or not.

Also, the Mii Fighter costume thing for Tifa and Barret was MY idea. Except I put a Sephiroth costume over Aerith. My ideal FFVIIR expansion would be Sans style costumes for Barret, Tifa, and Sephiroth. Each with a single song (Sephiroth's obviously being One Winged Angel). And a spirit event with the characters who got costumes. As well as a Chocobo and Moogle spirit and an Aerith Spirit. But that's all only if Nintendo is willing to put up the extra money. Using the remake renders would actually be pretty smart, as they're just 3D Models of the game models. No need to contact some other artist and pay him a hefty sum.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
This is really off topic, but the Aperture Science jumpsuit with the Portal Gun would be such a cool Mii Gunner costume.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
This is really off topic, but the Aperture Science jumpsuit with the Portal Gun would be such a cool Mii Gunner costume.
This just got me picturing an Aperture Science stage, with the panels moving to change the layout mid-match, different game elements from Portal being dropped in (the gels, Excursion Funnels, Turrets, the Weighted Companion Cube...), GLaDOS commenting on what's going on in the match, and of course, portals.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
This just got me picturing an Aperture Science stage, with the panels moving to change the layout mid-match, different game elements from Portal being dropped in (the gels, Excursion Funnels, Turrets, the Weighted Companion Cube...), GLaDOS commenting on what's going on in the match, and of course, portals.
I still want a playable Chell

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

Miscellaneous.
I really hope you're right, but you're way off the mark if you're assuming we're getting extra. I mean, P5 Scramble just came out and you don't see them rushing to promote that."
Honestly prices and all that. Would love to know more about why. It seems some songs are owned by the company and others by the composers which is confusing.

I really wish FF was given a massive overhauling for representation. A fighter from the 3D PlayStation era, a fighter from the 2D Nintendo era. Cloud and Terra basically. A shame comparing to Xenoblade and Persona which is the two contemporaries upcomers this gen that has made pretty big jumps since the last FF game came out.

And the lack of music from the series is shameful still. One Winged Angel, Clash on the Big Bridge, Blinded by Light, Battle to the Death, Hellfire and of course FF7's best battle theme; J-E-N-O-V-A.

A someone who loves the series, it really annoys me the representation far and wide.

Ah hell yeah.
Damn now I really want to play Portal 2's Level Editor again. That was the best level editor I used in a game. And the trailer.

Do everything in a Cave Johnson voice and you too can sound like a businessman/con-man/test chamber CEO.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Same. Honestly. I think if we were going to get any FFVII content at all, it would be now to promote the remake, or alongside Dr. Coyle (or potentially Geno). But I'm certainly not certain it will happen. I would love it too, but I have no idea if it actually will or not.

Also, the Mii Fighter costume thing for Tifa and Barret was MY idea. Except I put a Sephiroth costume over Aerith. My ideal FFVIIR expansion would be Sans style costumes for Barret, Tifa, and Sephiroth. Each with a single song (Sephiroth's obviously being One Winged Angel). And a spirit event with the characters who got costumes. As well as a Chocobo and Moogle spirit and an Aerith Spirit. But that's all only if Nintendo is willing to put up the extra money. Using the remake renders would actually be pretty smart, as they're just 3D Models of the game models. No need to contact some other artist and pay him a hefty sum.
Okay, but it's not exclusively your idea. Plenty of other people have said it too.

And he did mention a Sephiroth costume, but he also talked about the potential of him as a character (and completely botched it).

...do you just assume Coyle will be the ARMS rep?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
We only got 2 songs for Final Fantasy but yet the Electric de Chocobo song was used in the 3DS/Wii U Mii costumes trailers.

What stopped us from getting that?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Newest video by RogersBase mentions Sephiroth could be a Cloud echo fighter

Even though Sephiroth had a different height, body proportion, and style of sword, and a completely different fighting style.
That sounds more to me like the guy didn't know about FF7 lore and less about an understanding of echo fighters.

We only got 2 songs for Final Fantasy but yet the Electric de Chocobo song was used in the 3DS/Wii U Mii costumes trailers.

There's other songs that are in smash trailers that don't make it into the music list. Like the first song from FF7 shown in his smash 4 trailer, life will change for Joker and the Dragon quest theme.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Songs in the trailer are just licensed for the trailer alone. They didn't license them for the full game, which probably costs more. So maybe it was the best price they could get, I guess?

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
That sounds more to me like the guy didn't know about FF7 lore and less about an understanding of echo fighters.

There's other songs that are in smash trailers that don't make it into the music list. Like the first song from FF7 shown in his smash 4 trailer, life will change for Joker and the Dragon quest theme.
Anything who even knows a bit of Final Fantasy knows Sephiroth fights far more differently than Cloud. An 8ft Katana with a lighter blade would be made for a different fighting style than a 7ft thick as hell broadsword.
Just look at the damn combat postures. He would never be an echo fighter, not to mention proportions and whatnot.

Still annoyed at the lack of FF content, especially compared to Persona and Xenoblade which have grown a damn lot since the last main FF game came out.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335

a promotional license is much cheaper than licensing the track for an entire game

it's what lets nintendo use stuff like ezio's family for the altair costume as easily as they do

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Anything who even knows a bit of Final Fantasy knows Sephiroth fights far more differently than Cloud. An 8ft Katana with a lighter blade would be made for a different fighting style than a 7ft thick as hell broadsword.
Just look at the damn combat postures. He would never be an echo fighter, not to mention proportions and whatnot.

Still annoyed at the lack of FF content, especially compared to Persona and Xenoblade which have grown a damn lot since the last main FF game came out.
If anything, Zach would make the perfect echo for Cloud, at least more sense than Sephiroth.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On a different note, I just had an old laptop come back from repairs. I can see everyone's signatures again!

I wonder what kind of memes I had saved on this thing.
...Oh.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! I finally found the damn last fish I was missing. But I swear, I didn't saw the black thingy before no matter how many times I passed Level 9. I actually got mad. x'D But at least I finally got to see all the Artworks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom