• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

We know only 3 out of 5 DLC characters, but how would you all rate the fighters pass so far?
With a solid 10.

Joker was great and his alt is awesome to joke about that being me in Smash, my man Eight is finally in Smash alongside other cool heroes from his franchise and Banjo in Smash will finally make me able to get into the series with my lack of a Xbox.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
We know only 3 out of 5 DLC characters, but how would you all rate the fighters pass so far?
I'd say it's done a pretty good job so far.

A modern hip game that Sakurai personally thinks is a good fit, a historic Eastern legacy franchise that's still relevant and popular to this day, and a nostalgic old Western franchise that people have been asking for for ages.

They all look pretty unique and interesting too, which is a huge plus. Also helps they're not from games that haven't even been released yet.

Course I wish my most wanted wasn't deconfirmed because of another character, but that aside... pretty damn good.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Hm...
Joker and Banjo are cool, but I'm not all too hyped for them. Hero was the character I didn't know I wanted.

So far, I liked Smash 4's 1st half of DLC over this, but I will give credit that at least all of these are newcomers, so they're all fresh experiences.

So I'd say 6.5 out of 10 for me.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am loving it.
Joker is beautiful, as ever.
Hero looks really fun, and so does Banjo-Kazooie!
I know Steve is basically dead, but honestly, it is whatever. Banjo-Kazooie is the closest Minecraft related content we will get in Smash.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Joker: 6/10 -decent moveset that I find fun to use, although I think it could do with some toning down in power. What I liked the most about this pack were the music and the stage. I love Mementos in a semi-competitive setting.

Hero: 6/10 - Hard to say since we haven't played him, but I like the look of some of the moves: Kamikazee, Bounce, and Snooze look fun to pull off. The stage also looks viable from the screenshots although we don't know how it functions. Hazardless it seems to be legit though. My only concern with him is the menu toggle. Seems slow and something that may require a lot of practice to use quickly.

Banjo: 5/10 - The trailer was enjoyable. I loved the references to the games and K.Rool's comic relief, but the character itself did nothing for me. The way they presented the moveset didn't appeal to me in the context of Smash . Banjo-Kazooie is a game I used to rent a lot, but never really fell in love with. It had good parts, but I found it confusing as a (maybe dim-witted) child. As an adult I revisited it but never felt the magic. On the other hand, Spiral Mountain and the remix are amazing. Love Grant Kirkhope as a composer. Always been more of a Conker guy - with Live & Reloaded's online multiplayer being such a hidden gem.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Joker: 10/10
Hero: 7/10 for now.
Banjo-Kazooie: 1/10 for now.

Averaging, a solid 6/10. Not bad at all, considering I found most base roster reveals underwhelming. The care put into Hero and Joker alone + how unique Piranha Plant was makes me glad I bought the whole pass.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura Freezerburn Freezerburn Alternis Alternis TheCJBrine TheCJBrine Noipoi Noipoi Z25 Z25 Zinith Zinith PeridotGX PeridotGX King Sonnn DeDeDoo King Sonnn DeDeDoo Opossum Opossum

While I thought this was funny, the very next day, I discover this.

Watch this on 2x speed so you can make it through the whole thing. It honestly is a work of art, and it meshes so well with the previous video (for a VERY good reason).

Honestly, speedrunners are some of the most talented people out there.
Yeah, I remember a speedrunner commenting about this in the comment section of that animated parody, praising the attention to detail.

I honestly love it when a youtube animator puts all this research and care into their stuff, since it makes it even funnier to know how everything on the work can actually happen in the main source it is based on.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
5/10

Joker is fantastic, would only opt for a few more music tracks.
I don't give a flying **** about Banjo or Hero.
But the love that's being given to each newcomer and the content they come with is undeniably fantastic, I only take big issues with Hero lacking female alts and Sugiyama. Otherwise it's just that Hero and Banjo are both extremely boring to me.

osby

Smash Obsessed
osby defies state hunting laws to ****ing murder a bear
That's one point was for Kazooie, actually.

Though, I must appreciate just how much content each character (presumably) brings with. Just look at how much homage Persona and DQ pays to their entries without playable characters.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Joker: 7/10, pretty bold character choice and really brings something new to smash moveset wise. I hope that character choices like Joker mean that Smash won't just go for the big franchises in the future and will also branch out into characters not necessarily related to Nintendo.
Hero: 6/10, they seem kinda safe and it doesn't really feel like they bring much new to smash moveset wise. They look cool and come from a big franchise, but I would have preferred this sort of character to be in the base game rather than DLC
Banjo: 5/10, something about Banjo just doesn't excite me. He definitely looks unique gameplay wise, but I feel like in order to appreciate his design and significance I would need the nostalgia that his fans have. I'd say I'm more interested in Hero than I am Banjo.

Overall, I'm pretty happy about the pass though.

D

Deleted member

That's one point was for Kazooie, actually.

Though, I must appreciate just how much content each character (presumably) brings with. Just look at how much homage Persona and DQ pays to their entries without playable characters.
Hopefully we get some cool extras for DQ like Persona.

If I had to choose, I would release Hero alongside...

-... A Yangus Mii costume
-... A Jessica Mii costume
-... A Dragonlord Mii costume
-... A Slime Mii hat
-... The battle themes of the DQ games where the playable heroes come from (hopefully with a few like War Cry from DQ8 getting covers).
-... The overworld theme from DQXI
-... Spirits of each DQ Hero and their most popular party members or enemies (Dragonlord or Doulmagus between the latter)

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
5/10

Joker is fantastic, would only opt for a few more music tracks.
I don't give a flying **** about Banjo or Hero.
But the love that's being given to each newcomer and the content they come with is undeniably fantastic, I only take big issues with Hero lacking female alts and Sugiyama. Otherwise it's just that Hero and Banjo are both extremely boring to me.
This part is true. The E3 reveals alongside Joker alone are going to sell fighter's passes. Even if in the end you get no character you care about - which on a passing note is very likely to happen to me - the work put them into is phenomenal. It's treated with good care and heart, and the dedication to make these characters pop when they could easily trim down on the workload must be stated.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
If we are rating the fighters pass so far:

Joker: 8-9 out of 10. He’s fun, has a great stage, amazing music, cool design and using the persona ability to get kills feels so good. It makes him a character with a bit of a learning curve but pulling off satisfying moves with him is really rewarding.

Hero 7/10 I never really go into dragon quest, but I like the designs for the characters. His reveal was pretty cool, there seems to be a lot of attention to the source material which is nice for hardcore fans of the series. I like the rpg table setup his abilities have but without personally trying him I don’t know how much more I could like them. The alts are a nice touch though.

Banjo 8/10. I never played Banjo Kazooie, but I always liked the character when I saw him show up in smash speculation. His smash design is nice, I loved the trailer idea reusing c
K Rool’s setup but trolling with duck hunt being an “echo” of banjo. His stage looks fun, the remix for spiral mountain was pretty solid so I want to hear the other remixes. Again his trailer and gameplay put a lot of nice attention to him and it really feels like he’s being welcomed home. It’s great to see so many people happy with his reveal. He should be fun to play as when he comes out. I might need up really enjoying using him. If his games come to switch I’ll give them a try.

D

Deleted member

Banjo-Kazooie: 1/10 for now.
Dang. I am a Minecraft nerd, and not even I would rate Banjo-Kazooie that low.
I am curious on why you hate them.

D

Deleted member

This part is true. The E3 reveals alongside Joker alone are going to sell fighter's passes. Even if in the end you get no character you care about - which on a passing note is very likely to happen to me - the work put them into is phenomenal. It's treated with good care and heart, and the dedication to make these characters pop when they could easily trim down on the workload must be stated.
Basically, yeah.

And while it is cool to get characters one would want, Smash is still a solid game both on gameplay and content. It’s a great game in general terms, and the base content has enough stuff to please many kinds of people.
It also helps that this DLC completely feels like expansions with effort put behind them, and not quick cash-grabs or cut content from the base game.

Sakurai and the Smash team are honestly a great role model for the industry.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Hopefully we get some cool extras for DQ like Persona.

If I had to choose, I would release Hero alongside...

-... A Yangus Mii costume
-... A Jessica Mii costume
-... A Dragonlord Mii costume
-... A Slime Mii hat
-... The battle themes of the DQ games where the playable heroes come from (hopefully with a few like War Cry from DQ8 getting covers).
-... The overworld theme from DQXI
-... Spirits of each DQ Hero and their most popular party members or enemies (Dragonlord or Doulmagus between the latter)
If I have to guess, I'd bet on only DQXI party members getting Spirits for consistency's sake, maybe with some from III, IV and XIII thrown in.Every Hero being one Spirit like Phantom Thieves would be super cool, but don't know if they'll go with that.

And Sakurai better not pull a Life Will Change with Hero's trailer tracks.

D

Deleted member

Dang, I am a Minecraft nerd, and not even I would rate Banjo-Kazooie that low.
Probably a character they don’t like, which tends to be fair when there’s respect to the people who like Banjo.

And thankfully, Osby is one of the most respectful persons here.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Dang. I am a Minecraft nerd, and not even I would rate Banjo-Kazooie that low.
What does Minecraft and Banjo-Kazooie have to with each other?

It's just almost nothing in the franchise appeals to me in anyway. I never played the games and neither my own research or its fans showed anything significant that makes the franchise stand out to me.

Kazooie is cool, though.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
10/10 for Banjo's inclusion alone.

Seriously, though, I'd say a 9/10. Banjo and Kazooie are a highlight for me, and while I wasn't familiar with Joker prior to his announcement, it did encourage me to play through Persona 5, which I really enjoyed. I'm not overly familiar with Dragon Quest, but that's no justification for saying anything negative about the fighter's pass, and I'm playing through Dragon Quest 8 now to see what all of the excitement is about.

In terms of gameplay, Joker was solid, Banjo seems to capture his gameplay from the original series, and Luminary/Erdrick/The Hero's gameplay seems creative with being able to choose your specials on the fly. (hopefully they elaborate on how that works in a trailer similar to what Joker got, along with how to restore MP)

My only issue is that Luminary's stage seems bland from what we've seen, and I'm not sure how Dragon Quest's music will be handled given Square-Enix's previous music troubles and the fact that the composer is credited separately. (which might mean that they're a pain to deal with) However, they're minor issues, which is why it only went down by one point.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542

It's just almost nothing in the franchise appeals to me in anyway. I never played the games and neither my own research or its fans showed anything significant that makes the franchise stand out to me.

Kazooieis cool, though.
Bit of a hot take, but it did Mario 64, but better, only 2 years after Mario 64 came out.

So much so to the point that Mario Odyssey arguably takes as much inspiration from Banjo-Kazooie as it does Mario 64, in terms of gameplay and level structure.

D

Deleted member

Kazooieis cool, though.
Yup, and I don’t see the problem with that.

This is just a game in the end, so anyone is free to have interest for the characters they like the most.

It’s a natural thing to have, and it’s not bad.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Smash 4's DLC, or Ultimate's DLC, so far?
Well...Smash 4 did give us :ultryu: and :ultcloud: but I’m definitely going Ultimate’s DLC so far, Nintendo really subverted our expectations when we were doom and gloom about the Goombas and Edelgards and whatnot but then BOOM.

Persona, Dragon Quest, Banjo-Kazooie all in the same game!

As long we don’t get any :ultcorrin:s this time around then I say this pass should be really awesome.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Smash Ultimate DLC since I felt more hype with Joker, Eight and Banjo.

Nothing against the Smash 4 DLC picks doh since they were amazing too. It’s just that outside of Cloud and maybe Roy I didn’t get the load of excitement each Ultimate reveal has given me.

Troykv

Smash Master
Bit of a hot take, but it did Mario 64, but better, only 2 years after Mario 64 came out.

So much so to the point that Mario Odyssey arguably takes as much inspiration from Banjo-Kazooie as it does Mario 64, in terms of gameplay and level structure.
I personally think that while Banjo Kazooie it's a more varied game in all of it's personality and different scenarios... Mario 64 it's a better constructed game, having a "better feeling" playing it, the controls are so smooth and the physics are incredible.

And as you said, Mario Odyssey took the best aspects of both of them to create a incredible experience.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Joker: 10/10 - Didn’t play P5 when Joker was announced but heard great things about it from my friend. Picked up a week before Christmas, finished it on Valentine’s Day, instantly one of my all time favorites and I couldn’t wait for Joker to get released. He’s fun to play and my main.

The Hero: 6/10 - Seems pretty cool and fun to play, even if I never played a DQ game. I liked that trailer a lot, and he further set up the Fighters Pass as a collection of popular characters from popular series that haven’t been in Smash yet, which is very good

Banjo-Kazooie: 11/10 - Holy crap

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
smash 4's DLC, excluding veterans, is an odd bunch

ryu wasn't particularly highly-requested, but nevertheless feels like an important icon who represents an entire genre of gaming
cloud is mother****ing cloud, the biggest 'no way' rep since snake back in 2008
corrin is a shill pick from a game many now consider fire emblem's low point, saved only by an interesting moveset
bayonetta is controversial at best for how she single-handedly destroyed a good portion of smash 4's competitive scene

really i'd say the only one on there who received anything close to the hype the current three ultimate characters (joker/hero/banjo) received upon reveal was cloud

Iridium

Smash Hero
Hero: 10/10
Joker: 8/10
Banjo: 6/10

I've been very aware of Dragon Quest for a long fime, even if I haven't played any titles. Sword bias kicks in. It was a great moment seeing Japan finally get a legendary icon in Smash, and getting 3 more heroes to go along is a highlight. Even including other characters such as Slime in their home stage was a nice (and necessary) touch. i like the references to other characters from DQ in the alts, although providing the existing female alts would have just as good. Hopefully, I can get used to their unique moveset, and I'll keep them around as an actual main.

Joker, I had heard about at least before Ultimate even was revealed, but I never knew a lot about him and Persona (I'd rather not spoil myself before I try it). Still, with Arsene, he can play like a demon possessed, and Leo proves how good he can be even without him (almost like Smash 4 Sheik?). Not familiar with the music either, but that's not to say I don't like it. The alts look really good, and so does his render. Considering how often he was doubted very early on during the speculation period, his reveal was a sight to behold.

Banjo, I just don't know. No hate towards the character, but it's clear my early childhood was not like most others, because I've never played it. I still haven't listened to any music, although I hear it's very good, so I'll take everybody's word on that. While I preferred Heros trailer to this one, seeing the Rare reunion was great. Their fanbase waited for this moment for probably longer than I existed, maybe. Who knows? Maybe I'll enjoy playing them when they release, and maybe I'll try to play the original game, but I can only reserve myself for now.

This puts the Fighters Pass at about an 8/10 overall. I appreciate the amount of effort put into making these new characters unique and faithful to their original series. If I get Ryu Hayabusa and another hype pick, than that will sell it for me. If not, at least I can expect someone surprising, yet worth it, hopefully.

This is peak humor.

Last edited:

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I'd give it a 9/10.
Joker was a dream pick I thought would never happen.
Banjo and Kazooie finally put to rest a long saga in Smash history, and I wanted them in, myself.
I wasn't sold on Hero until I saw the trailer. Of course, now that I have, they look incredibly fun and creative, and I love the alternate costumes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom