• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

I wasn't worried much in the first place. Aside from Sonic's initial design and bizarre first trailer, there really wasn't anything glaringly bad about the movie. I feel like a lot of people overplayed how bad it looks because saying "Sonic bad" gets you easy internet points.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of actual fans were genuinely worried about the movie's quality. It's just most reactions I saw were pretty excessive.
I am personally excited to see Jim Carrey in another movie again.

He was my favourite actor as a child thanks to movies such as The Mask, Ace Ventura, The Truman Show and admittedly Batman Forever (but just back then).

I am really positive that he will give a really awesome and entertaining portrayal in the film with the Jim Carrey style I always liked.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

He was my favourite actor as a child thanks to movies such as The Mask, Ace Ventura, The Truman Show and admittedly Batman Forever (but just back then).

I am really positive that he will give a really awesome and entertaining portrayal in the film with the Jim Carrey style I always liked.
Batman Forever is super fun, don't feel bad for liking it.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Thellllllllll.jpg

This is pretty off topic but I need this heard somewhere.
So just say to how weird I must be to people. In one tab Anime, the other Political News. Never mind what's on there.

Like this shouldn't be even be possible.

Ah, a man of culture with The Truman Show. It's weird how relevant it is today. Definitely his best hit.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Curious to see if people actually like the Sonic movie. I still don't like the lack of a mono-eye and the weird blue arms.
IMO, they’re changes mainline Sonic has needed for years. The mono eye is weird and not consistent with other non-Hedgehog characters, and Sonic is literally the only character in the series with skin colored arms, not even the other hedgehogs have it. Everyone else’s arms are the same color as their fur. It’s just weird and I never liked it.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Curious to see if people actually like the Sonic movie. I still don't like the lack of a mono-eye and the weird blue arms.
I do like those parts but I feel like omitting them works for this iteration, since the flesh color is fur-like it probably wouldn’t make sense for the arms and the mono eye might not translate well into this version of the design with the expressions.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I do like those parts but I feel like omitting them works for this iteration, since the flesh color is fur-like it probably wouldn’t make sense for the arms and the mono eye might not translate well into this version of the design with the expressions.
TBH at the end of the day I still dislike that it's a live action movie. Shoulda been animated and used the games' VAs IMO.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
quick note that ever since Detective Pikachu, the following Hollywood video game adaptations have consistently been getting moderately positive reviews on top of the elusive fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, something that was pretty much unheard of beforehand.

Detective Pikachu, Angry Birds 2 (yes, seriously. I've heard it's actually quite good) , and now Sonic The Hedgehog

now I highly doubt DP is responsible for this, especially assuming these films were very likely in development around the same time, but it's nice see such an upswing for once. Here's hoping one gets the even more elusive certified fresh rating sometime down the road

now inb4 Monster Hunter completely ruins this trend come September

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
now inb4 Monster Hunter completely ruins this trend come September
Originally planned seeing that until I found out Paul W.S. Anderson was director. Same guy that did the Resident Evil movies...

Decided to replace that one along with Dune with Bill & Ted Face the Music (Gonna watch the first two as start of watching Keanu Reeves films) and The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard. Dune I'll wait until NetFlix/rental.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
TBH at the end of the day I still dislike that it's a live action movie. Shoulda been animated and used the games' VAs IMO.
I don’t get why people get so attached to the whole “use the original vas” thing. It gets kind of annoying after a while and comes across as neophobia more then anything else.
Ok. That is....... yikes. Like, both causes aren’t mutually exclusive. I.... yeesh. I’ve never read variety before and knowing they have writers like THIS on staff aren’t making me rush to alter that descision.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I don’t get why people get so attached to the whole “use the original vas” thing. It gets kind of annoying after a while and comes across as neophobia more then anything else.
I just like the game's VAs. :drshrug:

Plus, I'm reaaaaallly tired of the live action trend. An animated Sonic movie that followed after how the opening for Unleashed looked would've been gorgeous; such wasted opportunity IMO.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I just like the game's VAs. :drshrug:

Plus, I'm reaaaaallly tired of the live action trend. An animated Sonic movie that followed after how the opening for Unleashed looked would've been gorgeous; such wasted opportunity IMO.
Honestly this feels like the trends death knell. The Sonic movie series will probably be the last of the live action cartoon trend of the 2010s. At this point enough people are complaining about it that it’s bad PR.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
For those who don't know, you don't start with meter. Leffen's manipulating people by rigging **** to push his Bo5 stuff because he can't handle sets being less than 15 minutes
This just in: Melee man says something, Competitive Redditors who never competed rejoce

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Personally I prefer the tan arms and mono eye design as I think the tan arms balance out his color palette and I’m not a scientist but I think the mono eye would make it so Sonic can see and process more of his surroundings going at a super fast speed...that said I still like how they handled his movie design mainly because I think Heese just gets Sonic and can make him look good no matter what version it is.

D

Deleted member

"THE ARCANA IS THE MEANS BY WHICH ALL IS REVEALED!"
And the Arcana Force is the driving force of its power!

Arcana Force-21 ZA WARUDO!
I'm sorry I had to make that joke

Last edited by a moderator:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
For those who don't know, you don't start with meter. Leffen's manipulating people by rigging **** to push his Bo5 stuff because he can't handle sets being less than 15 minutes
Tbf this game still has legitimate 40-50% combos under the right circumstances

But honestly, from early tourney impressions, BO3 is still fine up until Finals (so you know, the usual)

Found this one mock-up poster, pretty crappy though.
Honestly this is exact what I imagine a Crash Bandicoot movie to look like in this day and age

Thanks Hollywood

Also, hey everyone, been like a month since I posted on SB. Hope you all are doing well!

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
So continuing and showing the other half of what I have now, with few more of you guys on the collections.

View attachment 262138

So my Vita games of right now. I used to have about double the amount but got rid of them until about a month and a half ago. As of right now it's mostly RPGs, fighting and visual novels

View attachment 262139

And what I have from Playstation 3 and my only PS4 physical copy. I love picking up more unknown games here.

And to add to this my novelisations of Nier: Automata and Ico as well as Majora's Mask and Persona Q manga.

So what do you guys all think? And throwing it out to DerpingPikachu DerpingPikachu and @JDCabrera (feel like I'm being a bit of a **** tagging you guys a few times already)
Really cool, man!
And don't worry I like being tagged in stuff lol.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Personally I prefer the tan arms and mono eye design as I think the tan arms balance out his color palette and I’m not a scientist but I think the mono eye would make it so Sonic can see and process more of his surroundings going at a super fast speed...that said I still like how they handled his movie design mainly because I think Heese just gets Sonic and can make him look good no matter what version it is.
Sonic's game design is good but not because it makes anatomical sense.

If his body was designed to run super-fast, he wouldn't have a giant head and noodle arms. Also, mono eye wouldn't change how he sees things because pupils receive light, not sclera.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom