• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Myself had a pretty busy weekend working for 15-16 hours in total. Been resting all day.

On another note though we might get an Nintendo Direct this week as well as the new Sonic movie coming out which I'll see on Thursday! :pimp:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Morning people, how's everyone doing today?
I'm practicing my drawing skills, got nothing else better to do(didn't bring my personal laptop with me to school, so can't work on my project)

Probably for the best anyway I learn how to draw at least decently, because going by the person who inspired me to even do this project(cough BlackRaveBow on youtube cough) drawing is going to be something I'll need at some point.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Alright, so if Oak is coming to Masters (not that I play gacha garbage), who would his Pokemon be? Nidorino? Or whatever starter evolution Red and Blue don't have? (Do they use their starters?

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Alright, so if Oak is coming to Masters (not that I play gacha garbage), who would his Pokemon be? Nidorino? Or whatever starter evolution Red and Blue don't have? (Do they use their starters?
There is an unused powerful trainer battle against Oak in Red/Blue which includes the final stage of starter that wasn't taken at the beginning.

So maybe that.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Jeese. We’ve gone from people calling this movie an abomination to people actually being excited for it. That feels amazing.
I mean, honest to God, the VERY first trailer got me unsettled to ridiculous levels when I saw Sonic the Gremlin and I said that I was NOT going to watch it, because it was nightmare inducing because of Sonic alone.

When the new design was revealed and Sonic looked adorable, I changed my mind. And we don't really know how good/bad the story is going to be despite the re-design of the main character, but well, it still looks like it might be a really enjoyable experience, even if it follows what a lot other movies have done (the whole creature from another world befriends a human and stuff).

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, honest to God, the VERY first trailer got me unsettled to ridiculous levels when I saw Sonic the Gremlin and I said that I was NOT going to watch it, because it was nightmare inducing because of Sonic alone.

When the new design was revealed and Sonic looked adorable, I changed my mind. And we don't really know how good/bad the story is going to be despite the re-design of the main character, but well, it still looks like it might be a really enjoyable experience, even if it follows what a lot other movies have done (the whole creature from another world befriends a human and stuff).
I still maintain what I’ve said from the first trailer. Sonic and Eggman just FEEL like Sonic and Eggman. I’ve gotten that since trailer 1 despite the design. And it’s why I’ve always had faith in the project.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If the movie is bad, they should've just stuck with failed experiment Sonic, because it would've been funnier.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Jeese. We’ve gone from people calling this movie an abomination to people actually being excited for it. That feels amazing.
I think the main factor with that has to do with the fact that Paramount responded to all the backlash and critcism and then both willingly and readily redid Sonic's design to make it more appealing and true to the original character. Not only their response to all the severe negative feedback, but the fact that they actually succeeded in giving Sonic a good, charming and accurate redesign.

I can't help but wonder just how positive the response to the movie trailers would've been if movie Sonic's design was like that from the start. Would the response have still been largely negative, or would we have another Detective Pikachu situation on our hands? Just how much of the positive response has had to do not just with the redesign being great, but because of how Paramount actually responded to the criticism and really pulled off the redesign?

D

Deleted member

If the movie is bad, they should've just stuck with failed experiment Sonic, because it would've been funnier.
I completely agree.

It would have been an hilarious train wreck to see.

Doh I don't wish anything evil to everyone behind the movie of course.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Every time I hear Movie Sonic's voice, all I can hear is Dewey.

Not saying the casting choice was bad, it was actually a pretty good choice. I'm just too used to hearing Ben Schwartz' voice in the DuckTales reboot.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I think the main factor with that has to do with the fact that Paramount responded to all the backlash and critcism and then both willingly and readily redid Sonic's design to make it more appealing and true to the original character. Not only their response to all the severe negative feedback, but the fact that they actually succeeded in giving Sonic a good, charming and accurate redesign.

I can't help but wonder just how positive the response to the movie trailers would've been if movie Sonic's design was like that from the start. Would the response have still been largely negative, or would we have another Detective Pikachu situation on our hands? Just how much of the positive response has had to do not just with the redesign being great, but because of how Paramount actually responded to the criticism and really pulled off the redesign?
That initial Detective Pikachu trailer felt like a fever dream. And I still don’t like the way they handled the design of the Pokémon. If they weren’t gonna go for realism and they were going to use that much CGI anyway, why wasn’t it just an animated movie?

Noipoi

Howdy!
It appears, in my arrogance, I’ve skipped the most important part of the direct summoning ritual. Allow me to make up for my insolence.

*ahem*
231A840D-0B10-4F64-8E27-2B86A048AD41.gif

RESET THE CLOOOOOCK

D

Deleted member

On the topic of the Sonic movie, a Youtuber I follow recently made a video on his Basics on Transformers series about the speedster autobot of the franchise to coincide with the release of the movie.

This series is really good for anyone who is interested about getting into the franchise, since he covers everything from G1 up to Transformers Prime/Cyberverse:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Pokemon designs and Ryan Reynolds aside, I found Detective Pikachu pretty mediocre, to be honest.

Here's hoping Sonic movie would be better.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I might see It with my crush this Friday after doing a chill and peaceful walk around the beach.

If she accepts tomorrow of course.
****ing

ASK HER GODDAMIT

DO IT

I ****ing believe in you you piece of ****

That initial Detective Pikachu trailer felt like a fever dream. And I still don’t like the way they handled the design of the Pokémon. If they weren’t gonna go for realism and they were going to use that much CGI anyway, why wasn’t it just an animated movie?
Valentine’s Day is almost here, and I see you’ve brought me the gift of bull****.

D

Deleted member

Pokemon designs and Ryan Reynolds aside, I found Detective Pikachu pretty mediocre, to be honest.

Here's hoping Sonic movie would be better.
My main problem with that movie was the first half, ngl.

Felt too slow for my taste with the constant talking.

D

Deleted member

I've been trying to draw a certain someone but their design is so outlandish and huge that it's annoying to do.

Doesn't help I want to make a pose shot with Blitz and co. That's going to be a long way coming lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

****ing

ASK HER GODDAMIT

DO IT

I ****ing believe in you you piece of ****

Valentine’s Day is almost here, and I see you’ve brought me the gift of bull****.
Believe me.

I am going to ask her tomorrow.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Maybe it’s because I can suspend my disbelief a bit further but they way I see it, it’s fictional so I don’t think it really matters if it’s completely realistic and I think it’s limiting to see it that way. I think it works so long as it looks actually present within the world with stuff like the lightning and rendering. Don’t get me wrong I would’ve preferred an animated movie but I think what we have now is the next best thing.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Don’t tell me that Detective Pikachu wouldn’t have been way better as an animated movie.
It wouldn't do any good to its underwhelming script.

I think they did a better job in the art direction than actually making the plot and characters interesting.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Maybe it’s because I can suspend my disbelief a bit further but they way I see it, it’s fictional so I don’t think it really matters if it’s completely realistic and I think it’s limiting to see it that way. I think it works so long as it looks actually present within the world with stuff like the lightning and rendering. Don’t get me wrong I would’ve preferred an animated movie but I think what we have now is the next best thing.
I still think it looks weird. Why would a world exist where every creature looks like it was from an anime except humans. Like, how does that work?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I thought it was great to see a semi-realistic take on Pokemon.

The end results didn't look cheesy, and it also didn't reach uncanny valley (the exceptions being the Pokemon that were supposed to look unsettling on purpose). It was the perfect balance. Very rarely have films ever gotten results that damn good when adapting cartooney characters into CGI for a live-action setting.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Don’t tell me that Detective Pikachu wouldn’t have been way better as an animated movie.
Nah

A Pokémon movie has great potential for an animated film and I’d love to see it one day, but Detective Pikachu works great as a live action movie and I’m personally very happy with how it turned out. Besides, people have wanted to see Pokémon in the real world since forever, the movie designs struck a perfect balance between their cartoon origins and a realistic edge without leaning too far one way or the other. It’s the glimpse into an actual Pokémon world that I’ve always wanted. Now if they adapted Red/Blue as an animated movie, that’d be rad. But Detective Pikachu works great in live action.

Believe me.

I am going to ask her tomorrow.
405D90C0-7FEB-42E4-A699-479264E4B6BF.png

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Nah

A Pokémon movie has great potential for an animated film and I’d love to see it one day, but Detective Pikachu works great as a live action movie and I’m personally very happy with how it turned out. Besides, people have wanted to see Pokémon in the real world since forever, the movie designs struck a perfect balance between their cartoon origins and a realistic edge without leaning too far one way or the other. It’s the glimpse into an actual Pokémon world that I’ve always wanted. Now if they adapted Red/Blue as an animated movie, that’d be rad. But Detective Pikachu works great in live action.

View attachment 261781
..... they didn’t do anything to the designs (except Mewtwo) to make them look more realistic. For most pokémon all they did was give them an HD texture pack. They all still look like anime cartoon characters and it looks weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom