• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
So, I'm a little out of the loop because I don't play Warcraft. But I wanna clarify some things.

"They won't let you refund it, they've banned people for telling others how to do so"
If they won't allow refunds-- which most companies don't on digital products, but anyway-- how would people be able to tell others how? They... can't?

"They even forced the new version on people who wanted to play the old"
Isn't this the new version though? If they wanted to play the old version, why aren't they just playing the actual old version? I'm confused.

"And then there's the whole "If you make custom maps, we own them, you don't", because they realized "Oh wait, Warcraft 3 is what spawned Dota/LoL, and those games make bank""
I mean, that's just being smart. Look at how much potential money they lost in what eventually became a brand new genre of games. Like, getting mad about them not wanting that to happen again sounds very pissbaby to me.
1: Blizzard does allow for refunds on their 1-time purchase games, however, they've conveniently shut that off for Warcraft 3 specifically since it's automated. People have found a loophole but they're being banned for it.

2: Yes, but some people want to play the old. If you have both, from what I've understood, it just won't let you play the old version. Since the games are launched through Battle.net, it'll force the new version instead, no matter how many times you try to activate the old, and I've even heard stories of people trying to launch the old without owning the new and the game simply saying "No."

3: Agree to disagree. I view the modding scene as very open. Imagine if the people who own Quake looked at Team Fortress and said "Sorry, this is ours, you can't sell your pitch to Valve." Modding is how a lot of people break into the video game scene.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Chinese Government are afraid of the skeletons?

Right guys we know what we need to do. Invade China with the spooky skeleton soldiers!
From what I remember it's a law about showing depictions of the dead being disrespectful.

I can kinda see it but it's such a stupid law.

****ing WoW had to replace all images of gut and gore piles in Classic WoW with heaps of loafs of bread.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Valentine's Day is coming near.

I honestly hate that holiday becaise it almost has nothing to do with love, it's became way too commercialized, and unlike Christmas which has the whole family, friends, and togetherness aspect, there's almost nothing to offset it from the "BUY GIFTS OR ELSE" part of it.
Oh boy, Sonic time! (The Sonic movie comes out on that day.)

Last edited:

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
From what I remember it's a law about showing depictions of the dead being disrespectful.

And if I recall all that stuff is taboo and interferes with the Communist Party Principles or some crap like that.

Last edited:

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816

****ing WoW had to replace all images of gut and gore piles in Classic WoW with heaps of loafs of bread.
So was that one dude's head that you had to get for one quest replaced with bread too?

Shroob

Sup?
So was that one dude's head that you had to get for one quest replaced with bread too?
Edwin Vancleef? Nah, **** like quest items is usually okay as long as there's no big, scary skull but

Behold:

Bread Giant

Top is China, bottom is everywhere else

1580450290282.png

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
1: Blizzard does allow for refunds on their 1-time purchase games, however, they've conveniently shut that off for Warcraft 3 specifically since it's automated. People have found a loophole but they're being banned for it.

2: Yes, but some people want to play the old. If you have both, from what I've understood, it just won't let you play the old version. Since the games are launched through Battle.net, it'll force the new version instead, no matter how many times you try to activate the old, and I've even heard stories of people trying to launch the old without owning the new and the game simply saying "No."

3: Agree to disagree. I view the modding scene as very open. Imagine if the people who own Quake looked at Team Fortress and said "Sorry, this is ours, you can't sell your pitch to Valve." Modding is how a lot of people break into the video game scene.
1. Yeah that's ****ty.

2. Yeah that's ****ty.

3. Modding, sure, totally. Reselling things you've modded as whole new game is murkier territory where I actually tend to side with the original publisher.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Alright, challenge accepted. From worst to best:

Puff Up (Jigglypuff)
Final Edge (Mii Swordfighter)
Wii Fit (Wii Fit Trainer)
Shin Hadoken (Ryu)
Shadow Mario Paint (Bowser Jr.)
Peach Blossom/Daisy Blossom (Peach/Daisy)
Full Blast (Mii Gunner)
Mario Finale/Doctor Finale (Mario/Dr. Mario)
Omega Blitz (Mii Brawler)
Grand Star (Rosalina & Luma)
Aura Storm (Lucario)
Volt Tackle (Pikachu/Pichu)
Octopus (Mr. Game & Watch)
Dark Pit Staff (Dark Pit)
Lightning Chariot (Pit)
Giga Bowser Punch (Bowser)
Awakening Aether (Chrom)
Shippu Jinraikyaku (Ken)
Petey Piranha (Piranha Plant)
Torrential Roar (Corrin)
Dream Home/Dream Town Hall (Villager/Isabelle)
Iceberg (Ice Climbers)
Hyper Rocketbarrel (Diddy Kong)
Great Aether (Ike)
Darkness Illusion (Meta Knight)
Giga Mac Rush (Little Mac)
Jungle Rush (Donkey Kong)
Ancient Bow & Arrow (Link)
Critical Hit (Marth/Lucina)
Triforce Slash (Young Link/Toon Link)
Critical Hit (Roy)
Zero Laser/Phazon Laser (Samus/Dark Samus)
Poltergust G-00 (Luigi)
Guided Robo Beam (R.O.B.)
Psystrike (Mewtwo)
Super Sonic (Sonic)
Wario-Man (Wario)
End of Day (Olimar)
Blue Falcon (Captain Falcon)
Ganon, the Demon King (Ganondorf)
Secret Ninja Attack (Greninja)
Ultra Sword (Kirby)
Pair Up (Robin)
Killer Wail (Inkling)
Super PAC-MAN (PAC-MAN)
Triforce of Wisdom (Zelda)
Black Hole Laser (Palutena)
Progenitor God Ruptured Heaven (Byleth)
Triple Finish (Pokemon Trainer)
Shinryuken (Ken, Close Up)
NES Zapper Posse (Duck Hunt)
Plasma Scream (Ridley)
Shin Shoryuken (Ryu, Close Up)
Sheikah Dance (Sheik)
Blast-O-Matic (King K. Rool)
Stampede! (Yoshi)
Triple Wolf (Terry)
Covering Fire (Snake)
Team Star Fox/Team Star Wolf (Fox/Falco/Wolf)
Max Malicious Moonsault (Incineroar)
PK Starstorm (Ness/Lucas)
Chain Attack (Shulk)
Gigaslash (Hero)
Omnislash (Cloud)
The Mighty Jinjonator (Banjo & Kazooie)
Grand Cross (Simon/Richter)
Dede-Rush (King Dedede)
Infernal Climax (Bayonetta)
Mega Legends (Mega Man)
All-Out Attack (Joker)
you have become the hardcore ****
Oh boy, Sonic time! (The Sonic movie comes out on that day.)
how real ones celebrate Valentines Day...with Sonic

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

There's no law censoring skeletons. It seems more or less a result of other censorship laws being up to interpretation and companies just covering their bases.
https://www.techinasia.com/china-do...h-about-game-censorship-in-the-middle-kingdom

Shroob

Sup?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

MainJPW

M.T.A
Eh, I disagree. His very first appearance is literally ambushing Super Sonic from underground and knocking the emeralds out of him, already showing his digging ability and raw strength. Knuckles also relies much more on his fists (his idle animation being him punching the air and also the scene with him during Launch Base Zone), in addition to his climbing and gliding ability.
Not to mention Knuckles can just walk through rocks that Sonic can't break at all.
To be fair he only does that with an alternate path that he has to take to get to his exclusive Act 2 route. Sonic CD's intro already shows Sonic casually destroying a much larger, almost building sized boulder.

Making Knuckles into a (semi) clone of Sonic would be a disservice to him, where Metal is quite literally supposed to be a Sonic clone, just with a few animation differences, mostly walking and running.
If we're talking about the earlier era Knuckles from the '90s has more in common with Sonic than Metal Sonic ever did. For instance, 3&K, Chaotix, Fighters, R and Blast equipts Knuckles with the Spin Dash and Spin Attack while Metal Sonic never actually does this in any of his boss fights or playable appearances in this era.

Metal really only does this stuff.

V. Maximum Overdrive Attack
Ring Spark Field
Plasma Pulse Attack

He's literally 100% Plasma and electric based attacks. Even in Generations and Mania he still operates with these same abilities.

The only thing Sonic and Knuckles have in common is curling into a ball when jumping and the Spin Dash, and even then, the latter has become more or less exclusive to Sonic in the 3d games, being gone from Tails and Knuckles.
The Spin Dash's lack of presence in the 3D games was moreso due to the lack of rolling physics and momentum mechanics employed in those game's 3D framework which doesn't necessitate the need to pinball around levels with more varied geometric structures like the classics (SA1 having started out this way in its development with Tails and Knuckles even having unused Spin Dash animations and spin ball models), and it's also a rather minor footnote when looking at the greater history of these characters considering those were just 4 games in total. Outside of Sonic, Tails has done the Spin Dash more than any other character (a total of 12 games not including mobile games) even including Shadow, and both Tails and Knuckles have done it far more than Metal Sonic. Metal can't even perform the Spin Dash in SA2 despite being a speed character and Shadow can't do it in 06. Out of the others Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have done it the most and since the ability has been such an essential part of traversing level geometry throughout the franchises history it's not something I feel should be erased from Knuckles repertoire when looking at a potential moveset.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I'm pretty sure laws about cartoons weren't that bad in the 90s, yet that didn't stop Funimation's insane treatment of Dragon Ball Z at that time.

"The next dimension," "I can see their parachutes," etc. :yoshi:
That was Saban enforcing those changes.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Eh, I disagree. His very first appearance is literally ambushing Super Sonic from underground and knocking the emeralds out of him, already showing his digging ability and raw strength. Knuckles also relies much more on his fists (his idle animation being him punching the air and also the scene with him during Launch Base Zone), in addition to his climbing and gliding ability. Not to mention Knuckles can just walk through rocks that Sonic can't break at all.

And all of that is just from his first appearance, not even taking the Adventure games nor Chaotix influence into account. Making Knuckles into a (semi) clone of Sonic would be a disservice to him, where Metal is quite literally supposed to be a Sonic clone, just with a few animation differences, mostly walking and running. The only thing Sonic and Knuckles have in common is curling into a ball when jumping and the Spin Dash, and even then, the latter has become more or less exclusive to Sonic in the 3d games, being gone from Tails and Knuckles.

In fact I could see Sonic, Metal and Shadow as pretty much being like Mario, Luigi and Doc in Smash where Knuckles could be fully unique. I'm also more than likely giving it way too much thought than it's worth and should be going to bed.
To be fair he only does that with an alternate path that he has to take to get to his exclusive Act 2 route. Sonic CD's intro already shows Sonic casually destroying a much larger, almost building sized boulder.

If we're talking about the earlier era Knuckles from the '90s has more in common with Sonic than Metal Sonic ever did. For instance, 3&K, Chaotix, Fighters, R and Blast equipts Knuckles with the Spin Dash and Spin Attack while Metal Sonic never actually does this in any of his boss fights or playable appearances in this era.

Metal really only does this stuff.

V. Maximum Overdrive Attack
Ring Spark Field
Plasma Pulse Attack

He's literally 100% Plasma and electric based attacks. Even in Generations and Mania he still operates with these same abilities.

The Spin Dash's lack of presence in the 3D games was moreso due to the lack of rolling physics and momentum mechanics employed in those game's 3D framework (SA1 having started out this way in its development with Tails and Knuckles even having unused Spin Dash animations and spin ball models), and it's also a rather minor footnote when looking at the greater history of these characters considering those were just 4 games in total. Outside of Sonic, Tails has done the Spin Dash more than any other character (a total of 12 games not including mobile games) even including Shadow, and both Tails and Knuckles have done it far more than Metal Sonic. Metal can't even perform the Spin Dash in SA2 despite being a speed character and Shadow can't do it in 06. Out of the others Sonic, Tails and Knuckles have done it the most and since the ability has been such an essential part of traversing level geometry throughout the franchises history it's not something I feel should be erased from Knuckles repertoire when looking at a potential moveset.
Y’all forgot an important part of anything relating to Knuckles...he’s a feminist

Dutch Raikuna

I'm pretty sure laws about cartoons weren't that bad in the 90s, yet that didn't stop Funimation's insane treatment of Dragon Ball Z at that time.

"The next dimension," "I can see their parachutes," etc. :yoshi:
Or 4Kids and whatnot. I'm very creator's intent. Some of that **** was bad.......

It's all won't somebody think of the children when a lot of children these days are playing COD and whatnot.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm an oddball.

I don't care much about censorship as long as the plot's still good.

Censorship's how we got gems like the Shadow Realm lol.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Long story short, the Ocean dub is hilarious. It's one of the funniest censorship jobs of that era. :yoshi:

Meanwhile, 4Kids One Piece can go straigh to HFIL.

Though I do appreciate it for introducing me to the series. Just wish the rap would get out of my head.

Shroob

Sup?

Though I do appreciate it for introducing me to the series. Just wish the rap would get out of my head.
Rap? What rap?

You mean

YA HO YA HOOOOOOOOOO

DREAMIN'
DON'T GIVE IT UP LUFFY
DREAMIN'
DON'T GIVE IT UP ZOLO
DREAMIN'
DON'T GIVE IT UP NAMI
DREAMIN'
DON'T GIVE GIVE IT UP GIVE IT UP GIVE IT
OHHHHHHHHHH

Dutch Raikuna

That censorship makes me want to throw something.
Parents: "Guns in cartoons! Won't somebody think of the children!"
Also some Parents "Jimmy, piss off and go back up to your room and play Fortnite, leave me the hell alone! I'm trying ta watch the match ere!"

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I still remember being subscribed to some anime magazine back in the day that hyped the hell out of One Piece coming to the west due to its "Legendary" status at the time

The following issue was bemoaning hard the 4kids treatment.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
It’s been announced that as per usual pine on day we have new news on the 27th. We will be getting our first mythical that will be in the new movie.

As well as new for Pokémon Go and Masters. I’m interested in the mythical. It’s gotta be something befitting of a jungle tribe based on the movie setting anyway.

Fire Fairy maybe?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's all won't somebody think of the children when a lot of children these days are playing COD and whatnot.
Parents: "Guns in cartoons! Won't somebody think of the children!"
Also some Parents "Jimmy, piss off and go back up to your room and play Fortnite, leave me the hell alone! I'm trying ta watch the match ere!"
You do realize those are often different groups of parents with different values, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom