• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Again. The design and the end result were not steps 1 and 2. They were like, step 1 and 25.

And I am seeing a therapist. Just “getting help” doesn’t immediately fix me. I’ve been “getting help” for three years now.

And show me one example of an open world game that’s about testing your skills at platforming. Because every one I see is all about looking for ****. Not saying that can’t be fun, I love Banjo-Kazooie after all, but it’s just a different kind of fun. The only example I can think of are the handful of bonus rooms in Mario Odyssey and Sunshine.
It doesn't matter what steps they were, the fact you even see a correlation between these two things makes me feel like you playing video games at all is a danger to your mental health

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Byleth’s shield break game is sick.

The bow fully charged breaks shield, the axe fully charged does, down tilt into down smash breaks full shield.

I also styled on this byletth that tried dunking me only to be hit with my recovery and spiked to their death.

Pretty fun character but the slow move start time isn’t really my style for comp games. Definitely a great choice casually though

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
That’s just what it feels like okay. 2019 was a really ****ty year for me, both inside and outside the world of video games. No matter what I do it just feels like everything is going wrong.
Look i'm just saying it's pretty ridiculous to blame your mental health on video games, and if that's really what's causing your issues maybe you should step back.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Why in world would Baboom make you consider suicide? Was his perpetual plot armor that allows him to always win making things too predictable to the point of causing depression? I must know.
I don’t even remember all the twists and turns that thought train took. I remember being really excited for SwSh because I was feeling alone, and I wanted to feel like I had a friend. I thought I could get that from SwSh because of the whole “going on a journey and getting stronger together” angle they use in the marketing (which ended up happening anyway in the end, even if the damage was done). And then the design was leaked and I just.... I had previously gotten attached to the idea that because GameFreak was doing the whole “masculine/feminine/cool” thing for their starter evolutions and that grass was the only one that hadn’t been feminine yet that that’s how Grookey’s final evolutions would turn out. And I got.... attached to that idea. Which I admit, was not a smart thing to do. So when the evolution was revealed I felt like a friend had been shot and killed. And then the floodgates opened and it started combining with the pain from E3, and getting fired from my first ever job, my first ever romantic relationship ending before we even had the first date, almost failing some of my classes, and struggling to have enough money to pay for groceries because of a problem with compulsive spending. All of that just... mixed together all at once and made me feel like absolute ****.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I played through Byleth's spirit board and classic mode - the Legend spirit was nowhere near as difficult as some of the previous ones.

Fair warning that Rhea's spirit battle (and the enhanced forms of Edelgard, Claude, and Dimitri) contain some spoilers for Fire Emblem: Three Houses. The Rhea one is only implied, the Edelgard/Dimitri/Claude spoiler was shown in the game's pre-release material so it's not THAT major, and it's nowhere near as bad as the Hero's Comrades spirit for Dragon Quest (which outright spoils a major twist partway through Dragon Quest 11) or the Persona spirits (which implies major endgame reveals, unless I'm reading too deeply into it).

However, I feel like it's worth noting in case people want to try the new Spirit battles out but haven't gotten roughly halfway through one of Three Houses' stories yet.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Look i'm just saying it's pretty ridiculous to blame your mental health on video games, and if that's really what's causing your issues maybe you should step back.
I’m not blaming my mental health on video games. Video games are supposed to be the spoon full of sugar to help the bitter harshness of life go down. But someone switched out the sugar with citric acid so the bitterness is exacerbated.

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Probably not gonna get Byleth, atleast not yet, but im sure hyped to have cuphead vs sans lol. We need Freddy next.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I’m curious as to why Sakurai added spoilers to the spirit board yet he said In the presentation he didn’t want to spoil the game

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
but yeah man, Byleth is shaping up to be my fav smash ultimate newcomer

Don't get me wrong, characters like Inkling, Incineroar, Joker, and Terry were cool in their own right, but Byleth is just so fun to play.

definitely picking em up as one of my mains.

whether they'll replace corrin yet as my defacto main or not has yet to be decided, but only time will tell

as for pass 2, the completion inside me is definitely gonna get it, but I'll probably just wait til my birthday in about a month, I'm usually gifted about 40 bucks or so, and so I'll spend a good majority of it on that

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
but yeah man, Byleth is shaping up to be my fav smash ultimate newcomer

Don't get me wrong, characters like Inkling, Incineroar, Joker, and Terry were cool in their own right, but Byleth is just so fun to play.

definitely picking em up as one of my mains.

whether they'll replace corrin yet as my defacto main or not has yet to be decided, but only time will tell

as for pass 2, I'm definitely gonna get it, but I'll probably just wait til my birthday in about a month, I'm usually gifted about 40 bucks or so, and so I'll spend a good majority of it on that
Byleth is just below Inklings for me. Holy crud, they're just so much fun. The spacing game and hard hitting moves just make them a blast to play, and they represent FE in the way I always dreamed of for Smash.

What advice do you have for landing up special offstage? I was having a hard time getting that down.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Oh. Oh that classic mode.

This is epic. Got me really nostalgic in the first few fights. Though they should have used fountain of dreams for Roy.

MooMew64

I think my problem with them is that I need to not be so rush down with them, as I tend to play characters like that primarily so sometimes my habits with them come in to play when I'm using other characters.

I think I need to take them back into training and completely rethink how I'm using them. Learning proper spacing will help me a bunch too, methinks.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Byleth is just below Inklings for me. Holy crud, they're just so much fun. The spacing game and hard hitting moves just make them a blast to play, and they represent FE in the way I always dreamed of for Smash.

What advice do you have for landing up special offstage? I was having a hard time getting that down.
honestly, I'm the wrong person to ask. I ain't great at it either lol.

that being said, it does seem to latch to any sort of wall or platform, not just ledges, so use that to your advantage

Last edited:

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

Very well said. I tend to freak out every so often, but that's just a result of me being autistic, nothing more, nothing less. I love games, and I never let them take control of my habits. In fact, they actually inspire me to continue on with my own inner workings and bettering myself as an artist. You need to push out the bad and focus on the good, otherwise it'll wind up consuming you completely.

Lollipopped

Smash Lord
Never thought I'd say this, but I love Byleth. She's basically what made the fighter pass worth it for me.
Now I gotta actually get good with her.

Last edited:

MooMew64

honestly, I'm the wrong person to ask. I ain't great at it either lol.

that being said, it does seem to latch to any sort of wall or platform, not just ledges, so use that to your advantage
I appreciate the advice! I'll keep it in mind. :)

I might go watch other people play as 'em too. That's how I learned how to do stuff with Inkling, lol.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
99% of smash fans right now: "BYLETH IS HERE LET'S LAB HER OUT"
me right now: "imma just go into training mode and practice ness combos and recovery like a scrub"

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Anyway i'm gonna self promote again for a sec, go ask me things in my q&a yes ok the link is in my signature

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
well the Byleth is taking over Smash so far...
3A7BF03C-769E-4746-9EAD-D4CBF6278ADB.jpeg
...I accept this

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
I spent a good hour playing as Byleth and my god he is a shield killer. While he/she feels a bit janky personally, I'm loving it regardless. And using that up special off stage so satisfying.
Also took that Three Houses Main Theme Remix on YouTube before Nintendo take that down.

I'm gonna give Byleth probably 2nd on the FP1 just behind Joker in overall. Probably my Persona bias.

Tako Tuesday

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0245-5753-9220
I don’t even remember all the twists and turns that thought train took. I remember being really excited for SwSh because I was feeling alone, and I wanted to feel like I had a friend. I thought I could get that from SwSh because of the whole “going on a journey and getting stronger together” angle they use in the marketing (which ended up happening anyway in the end, even if the damage was done). And then the design was leaked and I just.... I had previously gotten attached to the idea that because GameFreak was doing the whole “masculine/feminine/cool” thing for their starter evolutions and that grass was the only one that hadn’t been feminine yet that that’s how Grookey’s final evolutions would turn out. And I got.... attached to that idea. Which I admit, was not a smart thing to do. So when the evolution was revealed I felt like a friend had been shot and killed. And then the floodgates opened and it started combining with the pain from E3, and getting fired from my first ever job, my first ever romantic relationship ending before we even had the first date, almost failing some of my classes, and struggling to have enough money to pay for groceries because of a problem with compulsive spending. All of that just... mixed together all at once and made me feel like absolute ****.
I'm really sorry to hear to that. Getting attached to rumors and ideas that may not turn out true is never a good thing, though as we saw especially well with the Grinch Leak , and I hope you learned from your experience.

On the topic of depression and suicidal thoughts, I can give you a bit of help on that. You mentioned a bunch of "fears" related to video games you enjoy, such as Crash becoming open-world and DK being dead and such. When you think thoughts like these, and start to take them seriously they become irrational fears, which are not healthy to have.

First, you must think, "are these thoughts realistic? How likely are these things to actually happen?" For example, Bayonetta will never become male. The director, Hideki Kamiya had Bayonetta designed for him, to be exactly what he wanted, which was a modern, female witch that wears glasses. He even went on to call her "in many ways ... my ideal woman". There's no chance in heck she would ever become male.

Another method of dealing with fears such as these is picturing the worst-case scenario, and how you would react if it happened. What would you do if Crash became open-world? Think about it deeply, and try to be rational about it. Be open to the possibilities of change and even try to look at it positively. Open-world 3d platformers have proven to be very solid games time and time again, and I'm sure Crash would be no different. Even if it became open-world, Crash is a platformer series, and they would never change that, even if they take a larger, more open-ended approach to level design.

A final topic I would like to touch on is depression in general, and how you can deal with it. First and most importantly, and I can't stress this enough, get help. It's really important that you seek professional help when you have serious depression and suicidal thoughts. You should definitely consult a psychologist, and talk about all your issues to them. They will certainly help you, as they specialize in dealing with this sort of stuff. You should also aim to make improvements to your well being yourself, such as focusing on what's good in life instead of what isn't. If you only focus on the bad, that's all your life will seem yo be. Bad thing. However, simply putting your attention to even little things in life that make you smile, can help you go a long way in improving your well being. Yes, not everything will always be sunshine and rainbows, but it's important to look towards the light at the end of the tunnel. You can make it through the tough times you're going though, and focusing on things that make you happy and spending time away from things that don't will surely help you.

I hope I've helped you out. I'm aware that depression should be taken seriously, however if you continue to bask in it rather than find a way out, things won't get any better. I hope you take what I've written to careful consideration, and I genuinely hope that you will find happiness and overcome depression. And remember, professional help is equally as important as self help, so please don't be afraid to seek counseling from a psychologist.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
The Ashen Wolves house looks pretty great:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom