• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I don't understand the Byleth hate. What's there to hate? It's a cute sexy woman and a handsome cool man, both being quite stylish, who have a glowing whip blade with a better version of the most fun part of Joker's kit, cool spear made to out space other fighters (Corrin on dragon steroids), strong flashy bow and an axe with big damage and a better Warlock Punch (at least good for memes). So lovingly crafted and fun.
It's because of Smash having too many FE characters and swords.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I don't understand the Byleth hate. What's there to hate? It's a cute sexy woman and a handsome cool man, both being quite stylish, who have a glowing whip blade with a better version of the most fun part of Joker's kit, cool spear made to out space other fighters (Corrin on dragon steroids), strong flashy bow and an axe with big damage and a better Warlock Punch (at least good for memes). So lovingly crafted and fun.
There are 7 other characters from their franchises, so that somehow makes them bad.

I get that FE isn't everyone's cup of tea, but most of its haters grossly underplay the merits of its fighters just because their number.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just because of the statement of "Too many Fire Emblem characters!".

I used to be among those not too long ago but the more I thought about it I actually don't mind Byleth's inclusion as I already got my 3 most wanted. Byleth actually looks pretty fun to play as too and looks cute as a girl.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
No no, don't leave me hanging now.

What do you find wrong about my opinion?
Your opinion is not wrong. I just don’t understand how he could be more hype then other characters in the pass who bring entire new worlds and franchises into Smash. I mean, I understand people like Byleth and that he’s hype. I won’t deny that. But the MOST hype? Like, I didn’t like Persona 5 when it was revealed, I still don’t like Dragon Quest, and while I’ve played KoF before I wouldn’t call myself a Terry fan. But that doesn’t mean that o didn’t think they were hype because they still brought something new to the party, you know. Aside from three houses fan service and an admittedly unique moveset, Byleth doesn’t really bring anything new.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Some people just can’t separate Byleth from the context. For many people, it doesn’t matter how unique the Fire Emblem character is, the problem is that they’re a Fire Emblem character.

That and Sakurai not understanding the basic principle of saving the best for last.
*"but Isaac wouldn't use his sword" intensifies*
I never understood that. Sure, he’s use his weird magic powers too. But he’d still use the sword for like, his normals.

Last edited:

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
Your opinion is not wrong. I just don’t understand how he could be more hype then other characters in the pass who bring entire new worlds and franchises into Smash. I mean, I understand people like Byleth and that he’s hype. I won’t deny that. But the MOST hype? Like, I didn’t like Persona 5 when it was revealed, I still don’t like Dragon Quest, and while I’ve played KoF before I wouldn’t call myself a Terry fan. But that doesn’t mean that o didn’t think they were hype because they still brought something new to the party, you know. Aside from three houses fan service and an admittedly unique moveset, Byleth doesn’t really bring anything new.
He did bring a new world with him. Three Houses is not connected to other Fire Emblems and has some pretty unique locales from what I saw.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Byleth doesn't have to bring anything new to the table for me to be excited about him. I loved my experience with TH and now I can take a part of that with me into Smash, so naturally I'd be more hyped for a character from a game that I've actually played.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just because something is new doesn't mean I have to like them. Banjo was the opposite of hype for me (mostly due to how much his fans shoved him down my throat) even if he's from an unrepresented franchise.

Byleth, on the other hand, comes from a game I love and is still new to Smash, even if the frachise they're from isn't.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Terry was the only DLC character I didn't care for so far, and that's just because personally, I'm not interested in seeing fighting game characters in Smash.

However, Terry was hype for others and extremely engaging for fighting game fans, so that was super awesome! Really happy for them.

Opinions! Everyone like different things, and that's okay. :)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Just because something is new doesn't mean I have to like them. Banjo was the opposite of hype for me (mostly due to how much his fans shoved him down my throat) even if he's from an unrepresented franchise.

Byleth, on the other hand, comes from a game I love and is still new to Smash, even if the frachise they're from isn't.
And I just have trouble understanding that is all. It doesn’t make sense TO ME, based on the way I approach the game.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Some people just can’t separate Byleth from the context. For many people, it doesn’t matter how unique the Fire Emblem character is, the problem is that they’re a Fire Emblem character.
Then it's their problem. I got an awesome newcomer.

That and Sakurai not understanding the basic principle of saving the best for last.
This isn't a basic principle, it makes no sense from a marketing point and never applied to Smash.

Why Smash fans can't understand that Sakurai doesn't save huge core fandom reveals to last? It's like they want to be disappointed.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
yes, they complain about the multitude of sword users, yet all the punchy kick guys are perfectly fine
In my opinion, I feel like both swordfighter & brawler can be pretty boring when there is too much of one type for severals characters in a row.

Right now, swordfighter are the one getting most of the light, but if the next 6 DLC characters were Brawler without much difference between them, you hear a different story.

All I'm saying, a little bit of diversity never hurt anyone. So give me a fighter that use a steak to beat peoples up, SoccerGuy.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Characters like Terry and Joker were pretty cool in their own right, but Byleth was one of my top 4 wants and is definitely my highlight of the pass.

Seeing them get in is so crazy, and I'm very excited to try out their fun looking moveset.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Then it's their problem. I got an awesome newcomer.

This isn't a basic principle, it makes no sense from a marketing point and never applied to Smash.

Why Smash fans can't understand that Sakurai doesn't save huge core fandom reveals to last? It's like they want to be disappointed.
Forgive me if a basic English expression I’ve heard used since birth and which applies to many parts of the entertainment industry causes me to expect dlc season passes to end on a highlight.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Terry was the only DLC character I didn't care for so far, and that's just because personally, I'm not interested in seeing fighting game characters in Smash.

However, Terry was hype for others and extremely engaging for fighting game fans, so that was super awesome! Really happy for them.

Opinions! Everyone like different things, and that's okay. :)
Yeah, I too enjoy seeing others happy when they receive their favorite characters and that also brings me a fair amount of hype, but nothing beats that euphoric feeling of finally getting the fighter you were personally rooting for.

MilkCalf

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
2739-5061-8025
Couldn't agree more. People keep asking why Sakurai didn't do this and that just because they thought that was somehow implied when it never was. We like to imagine that he is keeping something super amazing as a surprise all the time, despite things like Banjo and Joker being said to be out of the norm.

osby

Smash Obsessed
In my opinion, I feel like both swordfighter & brawler can be pretty boring when there is too much of one type for severals characters in a row.

Right now, swordfighter are the one getting most of the light, but if the next 6 DLC characters were Brawler without much difference between them, you hear a different story.

All I'm saying, a little bit of diversity never hurt anyone. So give me a fighter that use a steak to beat peoples up, SoccerGuy.
I mean, we got two fighting game characters this game and people lost their minds about "too many shotos!"

Yeah, we have a lot of sword users but let's not act like this fanbase is unbiased towards things they don't like.

MooMew64

Forgive me if a basic English expression I’ve heard used since birth and which applies to many parts of the entertainment industry causes me to expect dlc season passes to end on a highlight.
Nintendo doesn't act like 99% of the entertainment industry, though.

They drop the bombshell reveals first to get people buying early. Seems to be working as well, 'cause the Fighter's Pass sold a crazy amount.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Keyword being "English"

Maybe you shouldn't apply it to a Japanese game, especially when it turned out to be useless again and again and again.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Keyword being "English"

Maybe you shouldn't apply it to a Japanese game, especially when it turned out to be useless again and again and again.
Is this not a phrase they use in Japan? Because honestly that surprises me. The last thing that happens before something ends can be just as influential on forming someone’s opinion as the beginning, sometimes even more so. You should want people’s opinion of you coming in to be just as good as their opinion of you when you leave. Because then they see the whole thing as good, regardless of what could have happened in the middle.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
yes, they complain about the multitude of sword users, yet all the punchy kick guys are perfectly fine
I mean, punching and kicking is the standard, we started with 11 punchy kickies and 1 swordie, so it's not that odd that the sword users aren't viewed as part of the norm. Heck, when Marth was introduced in Melee just the fact that he was a sword user made him unique. We're also talking about a fighting game here, so of course people are going to be fine with most of the characters punching, it's like questioning why you're driving a car in a racing game.

I don't mind swords, I care more about the character that's wielding it, but this has never been a good counterargument imo.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I mean, we got two fighting game characters this game and people lost their minds about "too many shotos!"

Yeah, we have a lot of sword users but let's not act like this fanbase is unbiased towards things they don't like.
Ah, all the "Ken with a Hat" joke, so funny & original the 765 times you heard it....kinda is a pattern when a unpopular/unknown newcomer is announced, now that I think about it.

And my point was more that peoples who wish for less swordfighter next pass, as long as they aren't being ass about it, shouldn't be look down upon because they're getting a bit tired of seeing peoples using swords in the same fashion for the most part (doesn't help that few of the swordfighter we have so far use a different type of a sword that could make their gameplay stand out, like a katana or somethin. Or that alot of the weaker swordfighter like Marth, Meta Knight or Corrin get more overshadow the more swordfighter we're getting, and no, Cosmos recent victory with Corrin doesn't change the fact he is pretty poorly balanced). Not saying I don't want any more swordfighter (heck, my favourite, Malos, is a swordfighter, among others), or that you can't make something new out of a swordfighter (2B, Sora & Lloyd could definitly bring something new) , but ya know, diversity via different weapons help characters stand out more.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Waitaminute

Isn't Byleth's hair dark green? Not blue?

...Why do people even use the blue-haired swords thing against them?
It looks blue to me. Except in my avatar. Not really sure where people get green from.
Of course, I am color blind to certain shades off green, so it could just be me? XD

osby

Smash Obsessed
Is this not a phrase they use in Japan? Because honestly that surprises me. The last thing that happens before something ends can be just as influential on forming someone’s opinion as the beginning, sometimes even more so. You should want people’s opinion of you coming in to be just as good as their opinion of you when you leave. Because then they see the whole thing as good, regardless of what could have happened in the middle.
People retroactively thinking better of something doesn't really raise the sales, though.

You can be sure that next pass will also have the core fanbase favorites in the middle (if any). Some people complaining about final reveals shouln't bother Nintendo if they already bought the pass.

MooMew64

It looks blue to me. Except in my avatar. Not really sure where people get green from.
Of course, I am color blind to certain shades off green, so it could just be me? XD
Nah I asked others and they said it looks blue too, I think it's just me seeing green, lol.

It's definitely blue, but not Marth blue IMO, so I'm still confused why the connection was made.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Waitaminute

Isn't Byleth's hair dark green? Not blue?

...Why do people even use the blue-haired swords thing against them?
it's very much in that blue-green/teal range where you can either say it's blue or green and both would be acceptable answers

D

Deleted member

*Sigh* Since we're back on the Byleth swordie discussion...

G I V E M E ALL THE SWORDIES
1083841.jpg

inb4 the 6 DLC characters are all swordies /s

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Oh yeah, I'm also mad hype for the Mii costumes.
Posting this a few months earlier and peoples would raise a eyebrow.

Posting this before Smash Ultimate would have peoples call you insane.

What a beautiful timeline we live in.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Okay, but did you consider:

"Byleth is a blue haired anime swordsmen"

*drops mic, FE fans are owned, Sakurai deletes Marth, next pass is 6 Genos*
1579624601610.jpeg

Actually their hair is green as if:
chapter 11

Get wrecked fire emblem haters
:p

MooMew64

Posting this a few months earlier and peoples would raise a eyebrow.

Posting this before Smash Ultimate would have peoples call you insane.

What a beautiful timeline we live in.
Oh, I've always been on the Mii hype train. They were legit one of Smash 4's best newcomers IMO.

I cannot wait for six more Mii costume packs. TBH I might be slightly looking forward to that more than the fighters that come with them.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Apparently before they bought rare, Microsoft actually tried to buy Nintendo and have them make games for the Xbox. Apparently at first Nintendo thought it was a joke, before seriously considering the offer, and ultimately declining.

Imagine the world where they accepted.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Oh, I've always been on the Mii hype train. They were legit one of Smash 4's best newcomers IMO.

I cannot wait for six more Mii costume packs. TBH I might be slightly looking forward to that more than the fighters that come with them.
A fellow fan of Mii? Without irony?
90d.gif

Pal, I like you alot already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom