• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Leon Vs. Lance actually is pretty cool.

Charizard Vs. Dragonite should reinforce the idea that Charizard has basically graduated to pseudo-legend tier in the eyes of TPC. Not literally but it's spiritual at this point.

D

Deleted member

If that happens, Shield will quickly go from my first Pokémon game to my last Pokémon game. Open Worlds are, in my opinion, super boring and not well constructed. How can there be anything interesting or challenging because the player can access it at any point. How can there be a strong narrative when the player can go literally anywhere at any time?

Good for you I guess. But not for me. I’m not saying I don’t want it to be there for the people who like it. But I still need the linear towns and routes. Otherwise I don’t feel engaged. I get lost, then I get board, then I sell the game back. The only times I’ve ever enjoyed an open world game are the Batman Arkham games. But I’m those, the story takes you from area to area in the city in a pretty linear order, so you don’t have to do too much mindless backtracking. And there was always an objective. There’s never a moment when the story just stops to force you to do sidequests. Well, Arkham Knight had that, but not any of the others.

Like, I can enjoy an open world game if certain criteria are met. But most developers don’t care about meeting those criteria because apparently most gamers like being plopped in a world with some stuff to do and no direction, goal, or story.
Sucks to be you then, I guess. Hell, the whole point of open worlds is that they're meant to be...idk..Open? having half of the game be linear(unlike BOTW slowly guiding you to the places you need to go, instead of shoving you into those places) kinda defeats the point.

I would go so far as to say that Open World games cannot both have multiple major linear areas and still be considered open world.
It's fine if a few areas are locked off from the rest of the game for minor reasons(the Divine Beasts for example, along with the start of the game on the plateau) but locking entire areas of a game off because you haven't gotten to a specific point is not my cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Hoping that Game Freak reveals Pokémon Ranger Switch at the Direct.

Also, epic profile picture.
The only things I'd be slightly interested in are the rumored Gen 4 remakes being shown off.

Oh, and thank you. I still love Claude and the Golden Deer but my second playthrough of the game with the Blue Lions has really hooked me, although a lot of that I can chalk up to being more experienced with the game and playing on a higher difficulty.

Vibin'

I'm also confused at how bad the Onigiri port for Switch is. I know the UI is bad, I played it for a bit on PS4, but man the graphical fidelity of the game is horrendous on Switch, at least undocked
Huh, never heard of that game before.

Shame to hear that it's not optimized well at all on Switch.

Pretty excited today since Joker is now out on disc. Leaving in 10 minutes to the mall to grab it.

Plus good indication we may get an Nintendo Direct next week with FP5.
I might grab a copy of it myself since I've been wanting to see it but missed it in theaters.

Hopefully, but I want a direct for more information on Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition than I do FP5.

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
If that happens, Shield will quickly go from my first Pokémon game to my last Pokémon game. Open Worlds are, in my opinion, super boring and not well constructed. How can there be anything interesting or challenging because the player can access it at any point. How can there be a strong narrative when the player can go literally anywhere at any time?

Good for you I guess. But not for me. I’m not saying I don’t want it to be there for the people who like it. But I still need the linear towns and routes. Otherwise I don’t feel engaged. I get lost, then I get board, then I sell the game back. The only times I’ve ever enjoyed an open world game are the Batman Arkham games. But I’m those, the story takes you from area to area in the city in a pretty linear order, so you don’t have to do too much mindless backtracking. And there was always an objective. There’s never a moment when the story just stops to force you to do sidequests. Well, Arkham Knight had that, but not any of the others.

Like, I can enjoy an open world game if certain criteria are met. But most developers don’t care about meeting those criteria because apparently most gamers like being plopped in a world with some stuff to do and no direction, goal, or story.
Usually difficulty in an open world game either scales to your level or has set levels for areas.

As for your last part about direction, goal, and story, have you played Breath of the Wild at all? That game is one of the most open worlds on the market, it constantly has directions for where to go (if you choose to follow it), shows you your ultimate goal as soon as you start the game and shows you various other goals when you enter specific areas, and it has a story (although it can be a bit light in that regard). Open world gameplay doesn't have to mean the absence of good game design in the hands of a capable developer.

I will agree with you though, Pokemon doesn't need to be open world (in a mainline game), I don't think Gamefreak is capable of doing it justice and it doesn't feel necessary to me. Although I do think they should get rid of the unnecessary things blocking you from going to later cities, if I want to take on gyms in a different order I should be able to, even if it makes the game incredibly difficult early.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Theres a Pokemon direct actually coming? Huh, that's cool. I'm assuming something new is coming out. Mystery Dungeon hopefully.
yeah... er... 'bout that

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
yeah... er... 'bout that
Probably Toxtricity and Melmetal were I to hazard a guess. Maybe something with Pokemon Home too? Please? I want my 10th Anniversary Celebi to come home to me

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
How disappointing if it's just Home + Sword and Shield.

I don't care about the 20 'mon in the files but I guess we knew they were coming eventually. Not even any major updates to the game, at least?

Ah well. Chalk that one up to the "Bad Ways to Start the Year" chart

D

Deleted member

We couldn’t just have a regular direct with the Pokémon news included?
Pretty sure there's a precedent where Pokemon almost always makes their own directs. I can't even recall any major announcements being made via regular direct (except that one Minecraft-style Pokemon game whose name eludes me)

Edit: WAIT IT'S POKEMON QUEST

Last edited by a moderator:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I'm hyped. Loved SwSh and could care less about how inevitably upset people will get by this, because Pokemon is now the root of all evil I guess.

Also, there's like a 3% chance Mystery Dungeon might pop up, so heck yeah let's go, disappointment time.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
How disappointing if it's just Home + Sword and Shield.

I don't care about the 20 'mon in the files but I guess we knew they were coming eventually. Not even any major updates to the game, at least?

Ah well. Chalk that one up to the "Bad Ways to Start the Year" chart
GF is dealing with a disaster years in the making, they'll need more than 20 minutes to fix it

We couldn’t just have a regular direct with the Pokémon news included?
very :ultgreninja:'d

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I'd care if there's anything worth the hype but I'm 90% sure it'll be about the datamined Pokémon we've known about for months plus mew G-Max stuff and then Home. /direct.

D

Deleted member

I'd care if there's anything worth the hype but I'm 90% sure it'll be about the datamined Pokémon we've known about for months plus mew G-Max stuff and then Home. /direct.
I still hope for Pokémon Ranger Switch.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
What if they announce ports of USUM to the Switch because it's quite literally the same engine or at least easy to upscale and takes less resources and cross-promote it with the public releases of Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma as well as the Gen 7 starters in SwSh?.

Last edited:

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
What if they announce ports of USUM to the Switch because it's quite literally the same engine or at least easy to upscale and takes less resources and cross-promote it with the public releases of Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma as well as the Gen 7 starters in SwSh?.
That'd be sick, I haven't played those two yet so that'd be really fun.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
to be fair, it was datamined and not officially revealed

I still hope for Pokémon Ranger Switch.
God, the dream right there. We can only hope.

No,
View attachment 256154
Yare Yare Desu, you need to use the pRopER spelling
"proper spelling"

it's Yare Yare daze my friend or dawa, if you're a manga reader

D

Deleted member

Real talk, it's unfortunately gonna just kick-start the toxicity right back up.

r/Pokemon is probably seething as we speak. :/
seething? nah it's gonna be an hellstorm over there. Or not, because the mega rabid crowd have probably chilled out by now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom