• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's so like you to not like the wild area because "It's too open" lol.

TBH that's kinda my sentiment as well, from my little to no experience with it, but I like that GF at the very least tried something new for once.
When I have no direction I just don’t do anything. I move on to the place that gives me more direction. “Reach the end of this path” is more fun to me then “there’s pokey-mans in them that hills! Have fun!”. Like, I need a goal.

D

Deleted member

When I have no direction I just don’t do anything. I move on to the place that gives me more direction. “Reach the end of this path” is more fun to me then “there’s pokey-mans in them that hills! Have fun!”. Like, I need a goal.
Disagree, I hate forced linearity. If it's part of a story(AKA BOTW) I'll do it but I love to explore every nook and cranny of a game, even if I have to break the game to do so.

D

Deleted member

WOW, the Pokemon Direct airs on my birthday! This feels like a nice birthday present!

Too bad I am on my way to work around the time the Direct goes live in my time zone (8:30 AM), so I'll either have to be lucky to somehow watch it live, or I won't be able to see it until either my lunch break or when I arrive back home.

Wasn't expecting a Pokemon Direct tbh, but considering that Pokemon Home should be coming soon, it makes sense. I have a feeling that's going to take up most of the presentation; perhaps they might even talk about Pokemon Sleep as well.

It would feel absolutely surreal and amazing if DP remakes are announced at the end of the Direct, but a good part of me is saying that would be too good to be true, so I don't want to get my hopes up just yet. We'll see though.
Imagine the DP Remakes are Let's Go ones lmao

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
It's not about it being too open but if that opem space has actual content within it and not stupid sidequests that attribute nothing to the story or help make the gameplay more dynamic.

Imagine the DP Remakes are Let's Go ones lmao
I'd cry.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's not about it being too open but if that opem space has actual content within it and not stupid sidequests that attribute nothing to the story or help make the gameplay more dynamic.
Exactly why I'm optimistic for a near 100% open world Pokemon game, considering the Wild Area being the highlight of the game.

D

Deleted member

Normal people: pose their Optimus Prime figure for pictures without music

JDCabrera:
517DE695-65F3-459A-8D14-B69A12A87470.jpeg

“One shall stand. One shall fall”

Happy birthday to staindgrey staindgrey btw.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Happy Birthday, staind!

Oh boy SwSh discourse my favorite!

I don't know why we're arguing about the Wild Area, that's personally the best part of the game imo, and exactly what a console Pokemon should be

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Looking over the list of Nintendo Directs, a Pokemon Direct seems to be followed up by another Direct within a week or two. If that pattern continues (though it may not), that seems like a good sign.

There was a Pokemon Direct on February 26, 2016, followed by a general Direct on March 3. There was another Pokemon Direct on June 6, 2017, which was a week before E3 (though that's an unusual case). A Pokemon Direct less than a year ago (June 5th, 2019) was followed by a general Direct less than a week later.

There are exceptions (like Feb. 2019), though in that case, there had been a general Nintendo Direct two weeks before that. Here's hoping that we get a general Nintendo Direct next week; as of now, the Switch's 2020 release schedule looks barren, especially when it comes to first party titles.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regardless even before the supposed direct FP5 will probably be leaked before then. Really should had done this week to avoid that.
Pokemon Direct feels like a real let down, absolutely should have been a general Direct.
At least that's a sign were probably close.

Last edited:

Shadowwolflink

Smash Master
Looking over the list of Nintendo Directs, a Pokemon Direct seems to be followed up by another Direct within a week or two. If that pattern continues (though it may not), that seems like a good sign.

There was a Pokemon Direct on February 26, 2016, followed by a general Direct on March 3. There was another Pokemon Direct on June 6, 2017, which was a week before E3 (though that's an unusual case). A Pokemon Direct less than a year ago (June 5th, 2019) was followed by a general Direct less than a week later.

There are exceptions (like Feb. 2019), though in that case, there had been a general Nintendo Direct two weeks before that. Here's hoping that we get a general Nintendo Direct next week; as of now, the Switch's 2020 release schedule looks barren, especially when it comes to first party titles.
I definitely hope you're right. Either that's the case or Nintendo might not have anything major releasing until March, which would be bizarre.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Happy Birthday, staind!

I don't know why we're arguing about the Wild Area, that's personally the best part of the game imo, and exactly what a console Pokemon should be
Oh no. That wasn't a stab at the Wild Area from me. It was more of a criticism toward the designs of open world type games or areas and how the argument of it being "too open" for me is entirely too broad and doesn't do a good job of explaining the faults of an open area or game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Seems like we are also getting a Pokémon Direct

This is how the Pokémon Ranger fandom can still win.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy, Jojo memes too? Why does every encounter with you make me like you more?

I know it wasn't perfect, but the Wild Area as a proof of concept is great to me because it's an actual area to spend time and do things in, whereas with every other Pokemon game I just sat in the battle tower until I decided to start catching new Pokemon, I feel like there's an actual thing to do in the Wild Area and that alone makes it a lot better than S/M/US/UM to me but then that isn't hard

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Oh yeah. That is true: If no direct this month, we'd have an entire month of no releases from Nintendo up until whenever they do the direct in February since I assume there will be shadow drops to make up for the lack of releases.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I definitely hope you're right. Either that's the case or Nintendo might not have anything major releasing until March, which would be bizarre.
It might be wishful thinking on my part (basing theories around patterns rarely ends well), but I hope so too. It feels weird that most of the Switch games that I'm looking forward to and that I know are coming out in 2020 are either licensed games or really old ports. No More Heroes 3 and Persona 5 Strikers are the exceptions, but games like Bayonetta 3, Breath of the Wild 2, and the Panzer Dragoon remake don't even have release years, let alone seasons, months, or dates.

Plus, it just seems weird to me that Nintendo doesn't seem to have announced anything since the lead-up to Pokemon Sword and Shield. Even at the Game Awards, we didn't get a single first-party Nintendo trailer.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
  • BOTW2 does feel like a 2020 game...2021 at best
  • Bayo 3 better ****ing come out this year
  • Persona 5 Strikers will only be played on my Switch (P5R is PS4 exclusive, so this is compensation)
  • Spongebob Rehydrated comes out next month I think...so I’m good

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Exactly why I'm optimistic for a near 100% open world Pokemon game, considering the Wild Area being the highlight of the game.
If that happens, Shield will quickly go from my first Pokémon game to my last Pokémon game. Open Worlds are, in my opinion, super boring and not well constructed. How can there be anything interesting or challenging because the player can access it at any point. How can there be a strong narrative when the player can go literally anywhere at any time?
Happy Birthday, staind!

Good for you I guess. But not for me. I’m not saying I don’t want it to be there for the people who like it. But I still need the linear towns and routes. Otherwise I don’t feel engaged. I get lost, then I get board, then I sell the game back. The only times I’ve ever enjoyed an open world game are the Batman Arkham games. But I’m those, the story takes you from area to area in the city in a pretty linear order, so you don’t have to do too much mindless backtracking. And there was always an objective. There’s never a moment when the story just stops to force you to do sidequests. Well, Arkham Knight had that, but not any of the others.

Like, I can enjoy an open world game if certain criteria are met. But most developers don’t care about meeting those criteria because apparently most gamers like being plopped in a world with some stuff to do and no direction, goal, or story.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Well, we do have a direct this week...buuuuuut it's for Pokemon, and I personally don't care about Pokemon.

Oh well.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Oh yeah. Rehydrated does come out soon. Might wanna get that as well as maybe Animal Crossing if I can ugh. This year could potentially be taxing on the wallet.

Oh, an I can absolutely see a release date for Zelda being shown.

Last edited:

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
If that happens, Shield will quickly go from my first Pokémon game to my last Pokémon game. Open Worlds are, in my opinion, super boring and not well constructed. How can there be anything interesting or challenging because the player can access it at any point. How can there be a strong narrative when the player can go literally anywhere at any time?

Good for you I guess. But not for me. I’m not saying I don’t want it to be there for the people who like it. But I still need the linear towns and routes. Otherwise I don’t feel engaged. I get lost, then I get board, then I sell the game back. The only times I’ve ever enjoyed an open world game are the Batman Arkham games. But I’m those, the story takes you from area to area in the city in a pretty linear order, so you don’t have to do too much mindless backtracking. And there was always an objective. There’s never a moment when the story just stops to force you to do sidequests. Well, Arkham Knight had that, but not any of the others.

Like, I can enjoy an open world game if certain criteria are met. But most developers don’t care about meeting those criteria because apparently most gamers like being plopped in a world with some stuff to do and no direction, goal, or story.
I mean they do tell you to head to Motostoke and Hammerlocke around the necessary points in the story so it is already pretty railroaded, and that being said, the area itself does scale with difficulty and have certain roadblocks that are only passable later in the game so it's a pretty well done open area.

I'm probably biased because I love Skyrim and early 2010's Bethesda open worlds, but I think the Wild Area is a good start.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean they do tell you to head to Motostoke and Hammerlocke around the necessary points in the story so it is already pretty railroaded, and that being said, the area itself does scale with difficulty and have certain roadblocks that are only passable later in the game so it's a pretty well done open area.

I'm probably biased because I love Skyrim and early 2010's Bethesda open worlds, but I think the Wild Area is a good start.
I never went back to the thing except for the few times it forces you too and a few times to grind raid battles for Rare Candies.

Really wish raid battles were just selectable from a menu or something.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
I can't believe it. A few weeks before Fighter # 5 at worst and this place isn't even teeming with anticipation unlike the speculation periods for the other fighters. Though I suppose most of that came from leaker debates as well as wondering when the actual releases of the fighters would happen since we always knew ahead of time who was coming.

Dark Bagel

Smash Ace
Okay first off, happy birthday, staindgrey! I respect you using your mod superpowers to change the thread title... again. As the Bishop of Bagels, here's a commemorative pastry to mark the occasion. ACCEPT IT:

:muffin:

Second: Pokemon Snap 2: Dunsparce Finally Snaps better be the headlining announcement for the Pokemon direct
I swear to Giratina

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
A Pokemon direct is pretty unexpected. I'm wondering what there even is to show in the direct format that makes it necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom